Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Heroes - Season 1' (HD DVD)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-29-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

I read Daniel Hirshleifer's DVD review of Heroes - Season 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30081 and...

I'm not sure how a release that seems to have such a terrible transfer can received a Highly Recommended, especially for a format that is intended for stunning audio and video.

I was looking forward to getting this for my HD DVD player but the description of the transfer has completely turned me off. Based on your review, I don't see how it could be considered extremely worthy of purchase.
Old 08-29-07, 11:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It was a combination of the quality of the show and the quality of the exclusive extras that take advantage of the interactive capabilities of HD DVD. I will admit I wavered between Recommended and Highly Recommended for a while, but the show is worth getting, and this set is better than the DVD set (which received a DVD Talk Collector's Series rating), so I decided to go with Highly Recommended with the caveat that the video is very inconsistent. And we won't be seeing another release of this like we did with The Fifth Element or anything like that. This is the best version of the show we've got and will be likely to get anytime soon. But, believe me, as I said, it was a tough decision between Recommended and Highly Recommended.
Old 08-29-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By yours...and other reviews I've read, it sounds like the show itself doesn't have better image than the regular edition. Both reviews talk about the great extras. What if you took that out of the equation, would you say that the image quality is better enough to get you to purchase over the reg. edition?
Old 08-30-07, 12:22 AM
Banned by request

I never said that the image looked the same as the DVD. There are problems with the transfer, but they're not the kind of problems that make you go, "This looks no better than a DVD!" So yes, I would say it's still worth getting over the DVD version because the image should be better.
Old 08-30-07, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I appreciate the response.

How would you say it compares to the HD broadcasts? We watched in HD all year and I was always impressed with how it looked.

Granted, I am no PQ expert - I have a high tolerance for crap. But I certainly don't want to spend the money on an HD DVD set like this if it's not going to look at least as good as it did coming across the airwaves, you know?
Old 08-30-07, 01:29 AM
Banned by request

I will admit I didn't get to watch the HD broadcasts, but everyone I've talked to who has says the HD DVD is better than the broadcasted versions.
Old 08-30-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the HD DVD is as good or better than the HD broadcasts, then I will be happy... There were issues during the broadcast, but generally I enjoyed it. Should be getting it in tonight so Im excited to check it out.
Old 08-30-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reply. I was a little nervous since all I kept hearing about was the poor image quality. That clears it up.
Old 08-30-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheV
Thanks for the reply. I was a little nervous since all I kept hearing about was the poor image quality. That clears it up.
Agreed - probably not going to be something I'll notice, since I had no memorable issues with it during the broadcasts.
Old 08-30-07, 07:43 AM
Banned by request

I tacked on an addendum to the image portion of the review stating that I have been told that the image quality on the HD DVD is better than it was on the NBC broadcasts, so anyone that saw it on TV should get a better experience than that with this set.
Old 09-03-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
So do we a have consensus on image quality?

1) HDDVD
2) DVD
3) HD Broadcast

It's hard to tell from a lot of the talk. Also, since the reviewer didn't see the HD broadcast. Nor does it sound like they looked at the regular dvds. Not a knock, just an observation which seems to make this analysis hard.
Old 09-03-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
So do we a have consensus on image quality?
I would expect that the overwhelming majority of people would find the original HD broadcasts superior to the DVD, even if they suffered from their own set of problems.
Old 09-03-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah...too bad. I have been hoping to see more side-by-side reviews of standard vs. broadcast vs. HD discs. Very useful, especially when double-dipping is involved.
Old 09-03-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
NBC-HD has some of the worst broadcast quality of the major networks. Heroes was soft and filled with motion artifacts. The HD DVDs look significantly better than the broadcasts.