Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of "Troy: Director's Cut"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-29-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review!! The review went into just enough detail about what was added without giving anything away. I'm big fan of the movie and absolutely cannot wait to see this new cut. Because of the review this set just moved up a few notches on my must-see list.
Old 08-29-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Yep, good review and definately something I'll pick up. Also helps that the SRP is at a reasonable $21, so I guess it should be around $15 when it comes out?
Old 08-29-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm VERY intrigued by the comments about the music. I know Horner's score inside and out, and am very interested to hear how it plays in this new version of the film alongside some of Yared's music which I haven't heard much of.
Old 08-29-07, 11:18 PM

Now that is a DVD review. It is thoroughly detailed on both video and audio issues including screenshots for comparison (or for general purposes i.e. screen menu). Kudos!
Old 08-30-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the Troy's Director Cut similar to the Kingdom Of Heaven Director's cut, such that the theatrical was boring and fair, while the director's cut was a masterpiece. Does it feel like a similar situation?
Old 08-30-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but does this set include the theatrical cut also or just the director's cut only?
Old 08-31-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Is the Troy's Director Cut similar to the Kingdom Of Heaven Director's cut, such that the theatrical was boring and fair, while the director's cut was a masterpiece. Does it feel like a similar situation?
Similar situation? Yes. Masterpiece? Not quite. It's a strong achievement, but not quite pushing the shelf of quality like Scott's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. That's an incredibly high benchmark to reach for, mind you.

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
i'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but does this set include the theatrical cut also or just the director's cut only?
No, it's reasonable to think such. This is purely the director's cut spread across both discs. Seamless branching to include the theatrical cut wouldn't work at all because of the music and editing changes.
Old 08-31-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I was pretty lukewarm about the original release, but damn that reviews making a double-dip awfully tempting.
Old 08-31-07, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Similar situation? Yes. Masterpiece? Not quite. It's a strong achievement, but not quite pushing the shelf of quality like Scott's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. That's an incredibly high benchmark to reach for, mind you.

No, it's reasonable to think such. This is purely the director's cut spread across both discs. Seamless branching to include the theatrical cut wouldn't work at all because of the music and editing changes.

Hi,

can you get a bit more into detail on what was changed regarding the music?
What did the add from Yared's originally rejected score?

I really hope they changed the end credits song from the theatrical version.
That was just horrible.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by faust1103
Hi,

can you get a bit more into detail on what was changed regarding the music?
What did the add from Yared's originally rejected score?

I really hope they changed the end credits song from the theatrical version.
That was just horrible.

Thanks.
Outside of the comparison I give within my review, I'm not certain what else to say. It's a more expansive, quieter formula that now has room to breathe instead of feeling claustrophobic within the runtime.

Yared's addition seems limited to vocal accompaniment during a funeral scene, discovered to be a track entitled "Mourning Women" after a little digging. The track serves as a beautiful ambient inclusion.

And, once the credits roll, you're treated to instrumental accompaniment reminiscent of the omnipresent theme repeated throughout the film.
Old 09-01-07, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Outside of the comparison I give within my review, I'm not certain what else to say. It's a more expansive, quieter formula that now has room to breathe instead of feeling claustrophobic within the runtime.

Yared's addition seems limited to vocal accompaniment during a funeral scene, discovered to be a track entitled "Mourning Women" after a little digging. The track serves as a beautiful ambient inclusion.

And, once the credits roll, you're treated to instrumental accompaniment reminiscent of the omnipresent theme repeated throughout the film.
OK,

Thanks for the fast response.

So that means no more horroble End Credits Song ("Remember me") as in theatrical version then.
Old 09-01-07, 05:43 PM

As long as James Horner's score remains, even edited, I'm happy

They probably let the final cue titled "Through The Fires, Achilles...and Immortality" play all the way through from the final scenes to the end credits, rather than fading it out (so the song could play instead) like in the theatrical version.
Old 09-04-07, 12:48 AM

I noticed Amazon has both a regular two-disc version of this director's cut and also a version that's dubbed the "Ultimate Collector's Edition." Any word on what's included with the UCE that makes it so much more special?

I'm leaning toward the regular two-disc version, but if there's something really nifty in the more expensive version, it might sway me.
Old 09-04-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
The UCE contains more materials:

Also, it appears as if there is a much better looking box for all the discs and materials. Personally, I may get the UCE, even though I already ordered the HD DVD director's cut.
Old 09-04-07, 10:39 PM

I think this is definitely worth a double dip. The theatrical cut was very enjoyable, can't hurt to see if it does attain great status.
Old 09-05-07, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a big fan of Troy but I'm seriously considering to purchase the UCE. The cover art and packaging looks irresistably cool.