Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warning - Ski School is P&S!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning - Ski School is P&S!

The Ski School DVD just released by MGM says Widescreen 1.85:1 on the back, but does not say Enhanced for Widescreen TVs or anything. However, I noticed the top sticker says P&S, and the DVD is clearly 4x3 with the "this DVD has been modified" notice before the movie. Why is this still happening in 2007! I'm debating the merits of arguing with the store about this ... I wanted this movie badly, then we get this pile of &%*$.
Old 08-29-07, 05:59 AM

MGM
1-877-MGM-4YOU
[email protected] or [email protected]

I am writing to register a complaint with your DVD division. The DVD of Ski School was released on August 28th, 2007, with UPC 027616084293. The back of the DVD clearly states Widescreen 1.85:1, but the DVD is Pan & Scan – certainly not formatted to fit MY High Definition TV. MGM is the only studio that still seems to be releasing catalog titles only in Pan & Scan. Even though the market research to release this long awaited DVD P&S is certainly questionable, if it had been marked appropriately the consumer would have the choice to not purchase a defective product. The fact the DVD was deceptively labeled as widescreen ensures large sales, but will also result in large returns for the title as well. I have posted to multiple DVD sites about the Defective DVD, to ensure others do not make the same mistake of purchasing this disc.
Old 08-29-07, 08:47 AM

Thank you for contacting MGM Studios Home Entertainment Group. Due to the merger of MGM and Sony Pictures the MGM Customer Service Department will no longer be available.

You can experience continued excellent service on MGM product by contacting Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

For new and existing orders, Sony Pictures can be reached at:
Old 08-29-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up. I;ve been wanting this movie for years. I guess I'm still waiting.
Old 08-29-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lberkoski
Thank you for contacting MGM Studios Home Entertainment Group. Due to the merger of MGM and Sony Pictures the MGM Customer Service Department will no longer be available.

You can experience continued excellent service on MGM product by contacting Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

For new and existing orders, Sony Pictures can be reached at:
You will get nowhere by contacting Sony. MGM has been getting distributed by Fox for a while. Contact Fox for problems with new releases.
Old 08-29-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So wait, the DVD says it's widescreen, but when you play it the only option is P&S? Not to sound condescending, but you're sure it's not a double-sided widescreen-on-one-side, pan-n-scan-on-the-other side right?
Old 08-29-07, 12:30 PM

I wish - its a single sided dvd, painted artwork on one side. As I posted over on other forum, I got an indication there was a problem on imdb (others reported it was p&s). I went ahead and took a chance, to confirm myself. The widescreen logo on the box is the same as on back to school (which did not say enhanced for widescreen, but turned out to be anamorphic). I've checked various online sources to see if this was a dual release (ws & ps), but there's only one item listed. The player also confirms there is only a 4x3 signal presen.
Old 08-29-07, 04:36 PM

Isn't it Open Matte? Ski School 2 was that way. I recorded it off The Movie Channel on dvd recently and it looked ok, no pan/scan issues.

Hot Dog! The Movie was that way too?
Old 08-30-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did Ski School ever come out theatrically? I suspect it was shot open matte as a DTV title.
Old 08-30-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Did Ski School ever come out theatrically?

According to Box Office Mojo, Ski School was released theatrically on January 11,1991. It made a *WHOPPING* $18,476.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=skischool.htm
Old 08-30-07, 09:22 AM

On investigating the Open Matte issue, I played around with the zoom option on my HDTV. The framing actually looks about right, with no obvious cropped heads, so it probably was open matte. It doesn't look bad this way, other than the obvious complaints about a loss of resolution.
Old 08-30-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm... tough call in that case. I had it in my hands yesterday (great cover art, btw) but I held off. It's just completely inexcusable in this age of HDTV to release anything in something other than it's OAR.