Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do dill pickles need to be refrigerated?

DeputyDave
08-28-07, 01:43 AM
When ever in the past I've opened a jar of dill pickles I've always kept them refrigerated. No one ever told me to, it just seemed "right".

Today I bought one of those huge 55 gallon type jars of Vlasic pickels at Costco. I don't think there is any way the jar is going to fit in our refrigerator and my wife insists they need to be refrigerated once opened. Now, nowhere on the jar does it say "Refrigerate after opening". Does anyone know for sure?

shoppingbear
08-28-07, 01:48 AM
Yeah, they need to be refrigerated. Transfer them to tupperware containers or something smaller.

DeputyDave
08-28-07, 01:58 AM
Yeah, they need to be refrigerated. Transfer them to tupperware containers or something smaller.
Crap! Are you sure? All I have is small tupperware containers that may fit 2 or 3. Grabbing such a big jar seemed smart, it was only $3.50, now i want a pickle and am afraid top open the jar untill i have something to transfer it to.

La Bella Rose
08-28-07, 02:02 AM
Crap! Are you sure? All I have is small tupperware containers that may fit 2 or 3. Grabbing such a big jar seemed smart, it was only $3.50, now i want a pickle and am afraid top open the jar untill i have something to transfer it to.

This phrase cracked me up not sure why but I find it hilarious!

:lol:

DeputyDave
08-28-07, 02:04 AM
This phrase cracked me up not sure why but I find it hilarious!

:lol:I was giggling as I typed that my containers were too small for more than 2 or 3 pickels, myself.

drmoze
08-28-07, 06:34 AM
Pickling (like smoking, salt curing) is a preservation process. No need to refrigerate. You can tell your wife she's WRONG! YOU WIN!!! :banana: :banana:

mickey65
08-28-07, 06:54 AM
Pickling (like smoking, salt curing) is a preservation process. No need to refrigerate. You can tell your wife she's WRONG! YOU WIN!!! :banana: :banana:

That's actually true. I remember when I was a kid, the stores would have the big barrels of pickles out where you could fish one out, put it in a bag and and buy it up at the counter. And those big barrels were NOT refridgerated!

Tracer Bullet
08-28-07, 08:08 AM
:hscratch:

This is a question? I mean, seriously? What do people think was the historic purpose of the pickling process?

Charlie Goose
08-28-07, 08:49 AM
Dill pickle. Those are funny words.

You could get some empty jars if you don't feel like wrestling with a big vat every time you want a pickle. Even better, give some away for Christmas.

wishbone
08-28-07, 08:57 AM
Dill pickle. Those are funny words.

You could get some empty jars if you don't feel like wrestling with a big vat every time you want a pickle. Even better, give some away for Christmas.That's a great gift idea, especially if you are caught in a pickle. ;)

WepaMan
08-28-07, 10:40 AM
The only reason to refrigerate pickles is to keep them 'crispy'. However, I buy the large size pickles all the time and I keep them on the counter next to the fridge since they don't fit. Haven't had a problem yet, however the longer they stay out the soggier they get but I don't mind since I eat them with popcorn and dip them in the juice.

Mmmmmm...

bunkaroo
08-28-07, 10:40 AM
Well why do they refrigerate the Claussen pickles at the store then?

I've seen many a jar of pickles that say to refrigerate after opening.

Now, I'm guessing it has more to do with keeping them tasting good and staying crunchy rather than killing you, but either way I don't think it's a bad idea to keep them cool if possible.

John_Shil
08-28-07, 04:41 PM
I refrigerate them because I like them cold, but it isn't necessary.

shoppingbear
08-28-07, 04:48 PM
That's actually true. I remember when I was a kid, the stores would have the big barrels of pickles out where you could fish one out, put it in a bag and and buy it up at the counter. And those big barrels were NOT refridgerated!
When I was a kid, stores also didn't refrigerate eggs, and we kids were allowed to eat eggs that were left outside overnight after easter-egg hunts. I think preservation ideas MIGHT have changed some. ;)

:shrug: I have such a jar, and it says Keep Refrigerated. Don't know if that's "food law", but I figured better safe than sorry.

Shazam
08-28-07, 04:51 PM
My pickle's hanging out right now, actually.

shoppingbear
08-28-07, 05:01 PM
OK, looks like it might depend on how they're made? From here: (http://www.kraftfoods.com/cla/bn/c_WhyClaussen/)

Pickles typically come in two varieties: refrigerated and non-refrigerated. Claussen pickles are always made fresh; therefore, they must always be refrigerated.

:shrug: Don't know what to tell you.

Bacon
08-28-07, 05:32 PM
I refrigerate them because I like them cold, but it isn't necessary.
same here

Tracer Bullet
08-28-07, 05:33 PM
Yes, I will trust a food brand's website. :rolleyes:

They're pickles. The act of pickling keeps them safe to eat without refrigeration.

shoppingbear
08-28-07, 05:35 PM
Yes, I will trust a food brand's website. :rolleyes:

They're pickles. The act of pickling keeps them safe to eat without refrigeration.
:lol: That makes no sense. They make the food, they know if it has to be refrigerated or not.

FYI, I googled this (yeah, been a boring day today :lol: ) and it DOES depend on how the pickle was made: some are made with refrigeration, and get the "pickle taste" without being fully cured/pickled. Those still need to be refrigerated.

grenier
08-28-07, 05:48 PM
You could always get a shitload of ziplock bags and store your pickles in them.

mikehunt
08-28-07, 07:07 PM
real dill or those kosher things that have little to no flavor?
real dills definitely don't need it, not sure about the kosher ones

imperator505
08-29-07, 03:58 PM
Pickling used to be a process for preserving food. I think that nowadays most pickling does not use vinegar with a high enough acidity to effectively preserve the pickle. It's done for the flavour. I've had jars of pickled onions that go mouldy after opening if not refrigerated. I would definitely refrigerate.

Mopower
08-29-07, 04:04 PM
Just leave them out. If you eat them after a week and don't get sick they are fine. If you get massive food poisoning they aren't. Puking 5 times a day for 3 days isn't bad. Think of all the weight you'll lose!

CPA-ESQ.
08-29-07, 04:04 PM
All I could think of was this

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLAeOjY2X5Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLAeOjY2X5Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mopower
08-29-07, 04:06 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qv0CIdvEnMY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qv0CIdvEnMY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>