Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Atreyu "Lead Sails Paper Anchor" 8/28

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-25-07, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The entire album in on their myspace page.

Those that liked the screamo stuff will hate this album, as its a change of pace from the older stuff. i like it so far. With their last album, you could hear that they were kind of going in a more mainstream direction. And they changed label's, but i don't think hollywood records/roadrunner forced them to change their sound in order to sell more albums. So i don't really consiter this to be a "sell out" album unlike say the newest Eighteen Visions album which sounds almost 100% like a new band.
Old 08-30-07, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is such an odd album. I've listened to it four times now and I think I like it. The transition from the older material to this album reminds me of the differnces found with Metallica's eponymous album. Atreyu has always had trace amounts of arena rock in their songs, but if you played "Blow" for me and didn't tell me who it was, I would have guessed that it was from 1989. I don't miss the screaming, that's for sure.
Old 08-30-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Man, I used to enjoy this band .
Old 09-05-07, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked them too, back when they did their own thing.

As far as their style 'change' is concerned, its not so much a change, more of a rip off. The sound is distinctly the same as the newest Eighteen Visions album. Funny, since before the break up, Eighteen Visions was getting the attention they deserved and all of a sudden Atreyu puts out this album with a drastic difference from the last and it also sounds just like 18v. But then again, they copied Avenged Sevenfold when they made it big too, what's stopping them from taking pages from 18v as well?
Nothing apperently. I wish they would stop being so desperate to sound like what people like. Those bands made it because they sound different and they worked hard to put it out there, and Atreyu has been trying to tag along off them for too long now, which is why I really can't stand them anymore.

I used to be a fan. I would still be if they found their own groove in the way of things and stopped trying to fit in everyone else's.