Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared are no brainers for Apatow fan right?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm a big fan of the Judd Apatow movies (40 year old virgin, knocked up, superbad), and was wondering if i should pick up both shows blind? My only fear is that since they're on tv, they won't be nearly as raunchy. (the appeal of the above movies for me was that they felt like real life, and its raunch with heart)
Old 08-25-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes
Old 08-25-07, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared are no-brainers for Apatow fans.
Old 08-25-07, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both shows are excellent. Watch them and love them.
Old 08-25-07, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes.

Freaks is funny and has a TON of heart

Undeclared is hilarious, has some heart, and has just a little bit of raunch mixed in.

Both shows are fantastic and among the very best DVDs in my entire collection. Both shows are probably in the top 3 most horrible TV cancellations of all time(along with Firefly).

Last edited by Puzznic; 08-25-07 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-25-07, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
Yes.

Freaks is funny and has a TON of heart

Undeclared is hilarious, has some heart, and has just a little bit of raunch mixed in.

Both shows are fantastic and among the very best DVDs in my entire collection. Both shows are probably in the top 3 most horrible TV cancellations of all time(along with Firefly).
Perfect answer.
Old 08-25-07, 10:22 AM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus - Founder of DVD Stalk

IMHO, both shows are no brainers for anyone who likes entertaining television that was cancelled way too soon.
Old 08-25-07, 11:43 PM

Buy them. You won't be sorry. Apatow doesn't need to be raunchy to be funny.
Old 08-26-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buy them. Freaks and Geeks is better than Undeclared, but that's because Freaks and Geeks is a perfect show. Undeclared is good though.
Old 08-26-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am giving you a 0% chance of being disappointed
Old 08-26-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Both shows are great. Definitely worth picking up.
Old 08-26-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Was actually pondering these myself, recently. I really liked apatow's newest movie, Superbad, immensely. thanks for the reviews guys.
Old 08-26-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I love Apatow, love 40 YOV, Knocked Up, Superbad, and Freaks and Geeks... But I didn't really care for Undeclared. Maybe I should revisit it again, but couldn't really get into it.
Old 08-27-07, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i'm a big fan of the Judd Apatow movies (40 year old virgin, knocked up, superbad), and was wondering if i should pick up both shows blind? My only fear is that since they're on tv, they won't be nearly as raunchy. (the appeal of the above movies for me was that they felt like real life, and its raunch with heart)
"Fear?" Both shows are still real and relatable, without the raunch.
Old 08-31-07, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well, I love Apatow, love 40 YOV, Knocked Up, Superbad, and Freaks and Geeks... But I didn't really care for Undeclared. Maybe I should revisit it again, but couldn't really get into it.
Undeclared works best by watching the episodes back to back. It was a seriously slept on show.
Old 05-10-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

kay watched the pilot of Freaks last night (since i work during the night, i am usually busy clearing off the dvr, or on here, hense the 7 month wait lol). Wow, a show on tv thats very easy to relate to. That was a great 45 minutes of television. the only reason i didn't watch more was because it was 6:30 am when it ended. I was at first currious as to why "come sail away' by styx as a slow dance song at the end, but it all made sense (and fit too), i can def see why Judd and crew went the extra mile to get all songs used cleared for the dvd, as that scene probably wouldn't be as great if it was a different song.

Also, is it just me or has Jason Siegel not aged at all. Also, who's the bitchy blonde, she looks so familiar but can't think or her name or where else i've seen her from.
Old 05-10-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rypro, the bitchy blonde is from Dawson's Creak who also played a bitchy blond on that show...
Old 05-11-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely get both. They are "must owns", IMHO.

Undeclared is more in line with Aptow's more recent work as far as tone - as it was a sit-com.

Freaks And Geeks is more serious, as it was primarily a drama - but it's no less entertaining. It's cool to watch most of these actors in their first roles, too.

Speaking of which, aside from some of the other notables, anyone else seen "Sam" (John Francis Daley) recently, all grown up now in his role as Dr. Sweets on Bones?

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-11-08 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

Speaking of which, aside from some of the other notables, anyone else seen "Sam" (John Francis Daley) recently, all grown up now in his role as Dr. Sweets on Bones?
holy crap, thats him? I watch bones on occasion and as i've been watching episodes, i kept saying "damn he looks familiar".

Also, i watched the first 2 episodes on disc 2 last night. Thus far those have been my favorite. What was up with the ending on the 2nd episode "Tests and Breasts"
Spoiler:
The hysterical laughter of Lindsay after Daniel's speech was defenetly not expected at all, and seemed almost somewhat out of charcter of what i've watched so far. Is this the general consensious, or am i missing something.
I put it in tags in case anyone was reading this and thinking of the blind buy. Run, don't walk and buy both shows. i haven't gotten to undeclared yet, but i'm sure i'll love it. Its strange how this show is actually somewhat moving at times. the mother of Lindsay and Samm is kind of like mine almost to the t at times.
Old 05-13-08, 08:33 AM

I have been looking for agood deal on undeclared. Any one see one?
Old 05-13-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I wish both would see a nice price drop. I can't bring myself to pay that much for an SD TV show in this day and age.
Old 05-13-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the best deal i could find for freaks and geeks is like 46 and change at ddd. anyone find any better than that?
Old 05-14-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
I've just finished watching Freaks and Geeks over the past couple of days, and I am VERY glad that I did. It was such a great show, and one of the most accurate portrayals of high school that I have ever seen. It has pushed its way into a spot among my top favorite shows. I've also seen Undeclared, and while it is ok, many of the characters got annoying to me. It is not even close to being as good as F & G.