TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Changes to The Amazing Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Changes to The Amazing Race

From MSNBC :

...a 12th installment has reportedly already been filmed.

...CBS is holding that race for mid-season, which means it could appear in January or February.

...To refresh the series, [due to slightly dropping ratings] there will be a few changes: The race will feature younger contestants, and it will drop the non-elimination legs. That means that, unless there's an extended, super-sized leg of the race, someone will go home every week. —A.D.
I like the elimination of non-elimination legs...but why do they have to get rid of older contestants? I like the variety of ages and backgrounds. I DON'T want this to become Big Brother on Amazing Race.
Old 08-24-07, 04:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Great. More "bartenders" and "waitresses" from Los Angeles populating "reality" shows.
Old 08-24-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Great. More "bartenders" and "waitresses" from Los Angeles populating "reality" shows.
Don't you mean "aspiring actresses"?

Honestly though, I'm not that bothered. As long as they don't change the most important characters--Phil, and the locales.
Old 08-24-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish they'd put the fast forward back on every leg.
Old 08-24-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't you mean "aspiring actresses"?
More like "barely aspiring actresses". They'd probably be focusing on the acting if it's what they really wanted to do.
Old 08-24-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
aspiring actors/actresses, bartenders, waitresses... in LA, what's the difference?
Old 08-24-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Brings so much more strategy into it. Now with the FF, if you're in 1st, you almost have to take it given its rarity.

Plus I'd like to see them eliminate that Merge (2 teams work together) thing.

Some of the geezers have performed pretty well, and usually are easy to root for, so I'm a bit perplexed by this move.

Unless they cut down on episodes, I suppose we'll get more "To Be Continueds...."
Old 08-25-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Logistically, I think that's pretty hard to set up, but certainly they could have five or six to increase the strategy. Also I'd like more Yields. With only two, if you get the chance you really need to do it since there isn't any repercussions to it (oops, except for "yield karma"). If you had a lot, it might even things out a lot more. And like everyone else in the world, I'd like less of those bullshit catch-up tasks that totally punish the quick teams and keep the turtles in the race.
Old 08-25-07, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Here's a question, the show is only 11 or 12 episodes with the Non-Elimination legs. So, does that decrease the number of episodes?

Still love the show, but I'm so sick of these producers always casting actors and models.
Old 08-25-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
CBS should just go back and make it a summer show. I remember it did quite well during the summer and obviously wasn't facing any stiff competition.

Question for all of you: Do you think the All-Star edition was regarded as a failure which is why CBS is scaling back on the show?
Old 08-25-07, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am fine with cutting off some of the geezers. I think that the max age should be the in the 50's, since some of the older contestants just don't have the physical ability to compete.
Old 08-25-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I think that the max age should be the in the 50's, since some of the older contestants just don't have the physical ability to compete.
I agree with this. The most successful older couple were Teri and Ian and they were in their early 50's.

I think is great that they are getting rid of the non-elimination legs.
Old 08-25-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
If they want a spark, they should have some better challenges. Stop giving them so much guidance and force them to use their brains a little more.

And get rid of the stupid Merge.
Old 08-25-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If they want a spark, they should have some better challenges. Stop giving them so much guidance and force them to use their brains a little more.

And get rid of the stupid Merge.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner here! Definitely stop holding their hands and up the challenges some. I swear half of last year the only challenge was when then got into the car to drive to next destination.

As far as the changes go it depends on what they mean. If its that they rather even the playing field and have folks more equally fit from 18-50s that is fine. But if its a dumbing down mainstream move with everyone being some fake buxom between 18-24 that is going totally change what this show was about and reminds me of when Real World and Road Rules sold out. I know folks here like the eye candy but not that much, otherwise you may as well go all out and do Amazing Race: The Nude Edition where they can all race in the nude and have weekly jumping jack challenges as biggest highlight.

It would also suck to see eps cut in half if its going to be streamlined that much but maybe as someone said they will add a few too be continued double challenges. Since its not coming back this year I don't even need turn on TV I guess, AR always been one of my favorites so I hope it keeps going.
Old 08-25-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I agree that the last TAR may have been the lamest (not including family) when it came to the challenges.

Here's a question, the show is only 11 or 12 episodes with the Non-Elimination legs. So, does that decrease the number of episodes?
Like I alluded to before, it has to mean less episodes unless they have more "To Be Continued" episodes (in other words, longer legs).
Old 08-25-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The older people make the show feel a little more realistic. I could give a sh*t about young people, damn hooligans!
Old 08-25-07, 12:40 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For long-time TAR fans I'm not sure the change to younger contestants is a good thing. I actually think it might be better if they didn't have anyone under 30 - maybe ages 30-55 or something like that. You might be inclined to get more 'real' people that way with some interesting life experiences. On second thought, just a good variety of ages is still probably the best.
Old 08-25-07, 01:53 PM

More details
"The Amazing Race": The Emmy-winning reality show is not on the fall schedule and will return later. "The countries are very exotic," Littman says. "We're going to a couple of places that I don't even know where they are on the map. I've had to go look them up."
As for the teams? Lively.
"This is a tough group," Littman says. "They'll be younger. We still have a good balance."
The show will will do two fewer episodes and drop the noneliminations to create more excitement.
Amazing Race 10 didn't have an "old folks" team (IIRC the oldest person was in his 40's), and it was boring as hell, so just making the teams younger without decent casting (and the casting has sucked hard the past few seasons) is pointless.
Old 08-25-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And take it off of of Sunday nights where it gets delayed by sports all the damn time.
Old 08-26-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
And take it off of of Sunday nights where it gets delayed by sports all the damn time.
Not to mention it follows 60 Minutes, which has to have the oldest average viewing audience of any show in history. If they get rid of the team geezers, there goes their lead-in in that time slot.
Old 08-28-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

You won't have to worry about this as much since it isn't airing in the Fall.
Old 08-28-07, 12:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I could have used a fix of this show this summer.

I can't wait for it to come back.
Old 08-29-07, 02:43 PM

I always wanted TAR (as well as survivor) to do theme type seasons. Maybe all young people, all old people, all soldiers, and my fave, all Migets. That would rule.
Old 08-30-07, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Not to mention it follows 60 Minutes, which has to have the oldest average viewing audience of any show in history. If they get rid of the team geezers, there goes their lead-in in that time slot.
Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick.