Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

the release of Grindhouse is such a big Friggin' mess!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first,let me just say that Death Proof and Planet Terror are one of the coolest movies i've seen this year...anyways,here's what info i've gathered in the last few months...and please correct me if iam wrong:

problem 1:depsite huge online marketing,kick ass trailers and posters and A-list actors like Bruce Willis and Kurt Russell the movie bombed in the US,it opened with about $4 million.it eventually grossed $25 million,it was made for $53 million.

fact 1:the average moviegoer don't know what Grindhouse is,in fact the majority of movie goers beloew 25 are not familiar with grindhouses so why in the hell do you expect ppl to go watch 3-hour of something they don't know,i have no idea....confusion.

problem 2:rumors all over the internet that the wienstien bros.want to cut the movie in 2 halves and release them to THEARTES IN THE US in the summer of 2007.one after another.

Fact 2:none of that happened...confusion.

problem 3:Tarantino freaks out and decides to release a longer version of his movie ONLY,leaving more questions whether that longer version will be released again in the US cinems?on DVDs? in europe?

Fact 3: umm yeah more and more confusion.

Problem 4:Tarantino announces at cannes that the movie will be cut into 2 halves in Europe/rest of the world ONLY and planet terror WILL GO FIRST.

Fact 4:some countries got Planet Terror first and some got Death Proof first.yes....more and more confusion.

problem 5: wait! which version will be released in europe/rest of the world? the short Us version or the "international" version?! Doh! of course the longer international version,why is it called that then?!

Fact 5: some countries got the longer versions and some got the short Us versions of each,here in the middle east/gulf/bahrain we got the short US ones.confusion.

Problem 6: The R1 DVDs gets announced sepearetly leaving ppl who didn't catch the full Grindhouse experince in the dark.

fact 6: umm yeah.

Problem 7: the DVDs are labled as "unrated and uncut" with "many extras" which is very good but will it inlclude the fake trailers we've been hearing about for months?

Fact 7: NO!

who is to blame here? personally i blame George Bush and Nicole Richie.
Old 08-23-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Movie is playing at our Student Life Building Cinema tonight and tomorrow, giving consideration to seeing a 3rd time.
Old 08-23-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread: CONFUSION.
Old 08-23-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Problem 8: Too many GH threads.
Old 08-23-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Problem 9: There is no problem 9.

Leading to even more confusion.

Old 08-23-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

problem 10: shut the fuck up all of you! lol
Old 08-23-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be fine with it if they released an Ultimate Edition with the original theatrical cut. Which I'm sure after the individual releases they'll come out with just to make us double dip.
Old 08-23-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts
The biggest problem it had was it shouldn't have been released on good friday easter weekend, even I felt a little bit guilty skipping out on church to go see it.
Old 08-23-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
The biggest problem it had was it shouldn't have been released on good friday easter weekend, even I felt a little bit guilty skipping out on church to go see it.
Don't be silly. Sin City had a hit opening the weekend Pope John Paul II passed away.

I'm surprised they didn't market the film with that. "Sin City was released the weekend the Pope died! Now the same filmmakers are back, with something even SICKER for the weekend JESUS died!"
Old 08-24-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
That's just silly.
Old 08-24-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fact: Bears beat Battlestar Galactica!

Old 08-24-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Fact: There was a Grindhouse thread that could have contained all this discussion and had a lot of this already talked about.

Reality: Look at the lack of Kill Bill Collectors Edition and the cluster fuck that is Grindhouse's release seems not so out of left field.
Old 08-24-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Look at the lack of Kill Bill Collectors Edition and the cluster fuck that is Grindhouse's release seems not so out of left field.
The Kill Bill on dvd fiasco is absolutely absurd. The movie was basically made for a giant, four-disc boxed set treatment...
Old 08-24-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lame excuse. Let's see, church is Sunday morning, right? Maybe some churches have it in the evening, i'm not sure. Anyway, that's a 1-2 hour block out of the day. You had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon-evening to see it. Church did not stop you from seeing Grindhouse. You might have missed the first showing of the day because of church, but not the entire weekends showings.
Old 08-24-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
The Kill Bill on dvd fiasco is absolutely absurd. The movie was basically made for a giant, four-disc boxed set treatment...
And that's what it's getting in Dec.

Fact: This thread is dumb and going nowhere quickly. Actually, it's already there.
Old 08-24-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is at least one mistake here: I believe Death Proof was always intended to play at Cannes. It was sort of a "We'll probably do this" before it opened and bombed, but afterwards it got a lot bigger push. In any case, Tarantino didn't push it because of the box office failure.

And I still believe that both Quentin and Robert intended the full two-part experience to be theatrical only, while the DVD release was intended to be separate, since this is how actual grindhouse double features work.
Old 08-24-07, 01:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
isn't there already a thread or two or three about "Grindhouse"?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=508698
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505418
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=500500
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=496967
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=424256
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497358

weird.
Old 08-24-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, Scott, you probably still missed a few threads!
Old 08-25-07, 01:58 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
when's R5 gonna friggin hit the net !