Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Should I blind-buy Heroes?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-22-07, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Never really got to catch this show this past fall/spring, and missed what I heard was a good show.

I'm a big fan of X-Men, which I guess it relates to in ways, but I didn't know how good this series would be. I don't mind spending ~$35 on this set it if it's a really good show. I'm concerned if there is any 'action' or if it is mostly drama with no real payoff except for the finale.

How is it, guys? Thanks!
Old 08-22-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
YES! Not only is it a great show, but the DVD set (whether you're getting standard or HD) is awesome...
Old 08-22-07, 12:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
YES! Not only is it a great show, but the DVD set (whether you're getting standard or HD) is awesome...
for the standard, we get 5.1 and anamorphic ws?
Old 08-22-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
I missed it when it originally aired, but I watched the entire show online this summer. I was really loving it for the first third or so, but I have to say, my interest waned as the season went on. A lot of the great tension that was built up just took too long to resolve and ultimately became anti-climactic (for me). I'd suggest checking out a few episodes on NBC.com before dropping money on the DVDs.
Old 08-22-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd check out the show on the free tube first too. I watched a couple of episodes and felt it was more drama than action. I'm a Xmen fan too but I wouldn't buy it.
Old 08-22-07, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by StephenX
Hey guys. Never really got to catch this show this past fall/spring, and missed what I heard was a good show.

I'm a big fan of X-Men, which I guess it relates to in ways, but I didn't know how good this series would be. I don't mind spending ~$35 on this set it if it's a really good show. I'm concerned if there is any 'action' or if it is mostly drama with no real payoff except for the finale.

How is it, guys? Thanks!
YES! It is SUPERB! I didn't watch any of it on TV. Didn't see it until I watched it online on NBC's site. I watched the full run of the series in less than a week.
Old 08-22-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenX
I'm concerned if there is any 'action' or if it is mostly drama with no real payoff except for the finale.
There's actually not a whole lot of action. It's mostly plot/suspense and character moments with some quick bits of action thrown in here and there. But the show strings you along pretty well and keeps you interested in what's going on, and it answers questions reasonably well and quick. It "pays off" throughout the whole season. But as for the finale, without giving anything away, I found it to be the biggest let-down of the season. But it was mostly a fun ride, with some good characters and I'd recommend at least a rent if not a buy.
Old 08-22-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
There's actually not a whole lot of action. It's mostly plot/suspense and character moments with some quick bits of action thrown in here and there. But the show strings you along pretty well and keeps you interested in what's going on, and it answers questions reasonably well and quick. It "pays off" throughout the whole season. But as for the finale, without giving anything away, I found it to be the biggest let-down of the season. But it was mostly a fun ride, with some good characters and I'd recommend at least a rent if not a buy.
Although I wasn't let down by the finale as you were (probably because I never thought it was that good to begin with, so I had only moderate expectations), I think this is a good description of the show. For a series that so transparently strings along its viewers, it does a solid job answering its major questions and not cheating the audience. A lot of people really seem to love this show (especially in the younger demographics), so odds are you'll like it too. I'd hesitate to go for the HD version, though. I'm sure it looks spectacular, but that's a lot of money to spend on a TV series that isn't really that good. Definitely sample some episodes before doing that.

das
Old 08-23-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know that I’ll get bitched most likely but I say, ‘for the love of god, don’t buy it!’ please. It’s one of those shows that caught on with people but really isn’t that good. The acting is the biggest problem for me & it goes from mediocre too just plain awful. I like superheroes as much as the next person but I just couldn’t take it after a couple of episodes.

It’s going to be a bigger selling despite it not really being good. Save your money.
Old 08-23-07, 08:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts
The show is great... the season finale not so much.
Old 08-23-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
The acting is the biggest problem for me & it goes from mediocre too just plain awful.
i don't think i would go as far as "awful" but i do agree that some of the acting is pretty sketchy.
Old 08-23-07, 08:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Anybody interested in this series should watch the first four episodes. If you aren't hooked by then, you aren't going to like it. But you must watch all the way through episode 4!
Old 08-23-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
It's a fun show. Plenty of dumb stuff, some questionable acting, the occasional bit of filler, but still fun. The mythology and characters are interesting, though if you're looking for big budget X-Men action sequences, you won't get it here.

The finale was a little weak, but I was already hooked by the first episode...

There's far worse crap to spend your $35 on.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-23-07 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For someone such as I that isn't into the "superhero" theme, I thought it was a good show but I grew tired of a few things:
Spoiler:
"Save the Cheerleader save the World"
That lock of hair on Peter Petrelli. Very distracting to me.

The Finale wasn't too bad. Could of been better. I will watch S2.
Old 08-23-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't.
Old 08-23-07, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Stopped watching it after 2 or 3 episodes because I thought it was playing up comic stereotypes far too much. I'm still deciding whether I should give it a 2nd chance on DVD
Old 08-23-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
For someone such as I that isn't into the "superhero" theme, I thought it was a good show but I grew tired of a few things:
That lock of hair on Peter Petrelli. Very distracting to me.
Hey, it worked for Superman.
Old 08-23-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed the show overall, but I would say NO, do not buy it. There are a few really good episodes, but for the most part it really drags on and on. A lot of times it feels like you are watching a repeat. Just rent it or watch it online.
Old 08-23-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
It's a fun show. Plenty of dumb stuff, some questionable acting, the occasional bit of filler, but still fun. The mythology and characters are interesting, though if you're looking for big budget X-Men action sequences, you won't get it here.

The finale was a little weak, but I was already hooked by the first episode...

There's far worse crap to spend your $35 on.
I'd agree with this assessment.
Old 08-24-07, 02:00 PM

It's a lot different from xmen, you might want to watch a few episodes first.