Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Flash Gordon - The Premiere Episode'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-21-07, 04:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

I read Nick Lyons's DVD review of Flash Gordon - The Premiere Episode at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29948 and...I'm sorry but the review of the cast really doesn't hit the mark...at all. I think the all of the cast is very amateurish and Eric Johnson is really not a good actor. He wasn't on "Smallville" and hasn't grown in the least here.

In fact, all the principals really don't have the chops to play in a soap opera let alone follow in the footsteps of one of the most respected Sci-Fi series on all of tv in "Battlestar Galactica". Maybe it is the scripts that they work with, but they are doing nothing for the characters and playing it like a complete slapstick sitcom. I mean the scene where the bounty hunter is bathing in oil and the dialogue between Flash and Dale was god-awful.

I am sorry, but as much as I was giving the series a chance after 2 episodes, now I simply have the "train wreck" fever where I want to watch to see the levels of badness it brings.

I said it before, this series makes the 80's theatrical release an Oscar contender!

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-21-07 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, this is Nick.

To be fair, it takes time for all actors and actresses to adjust to their role in a new series. If you look at the first season of Buffy compared to the later seasons, it seems a bit rough around the edges even if it's still superb TV. The same is likely to be said for Flash. I'm willing to give the show a chance as I see potential here. You are right by saying the scripting needs to be improved, otherwise the show cannot work.

You're also right by saying Flash pales in comparison to BSG. However, they are 2 different shows. BSG is a multi-layered sci-fi drama with strong political overtones. Flash is simply an entertaining cliffhanger. It never pretends to be anything else.
Old 08-21-07, 10:52 PM

but even the cliffhanger angle is very weak. i mean they end the shows with one of those "ha ha" between cast endings that were always so cheesy and very not good.

the 1st season of Buffy may be rough, but Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles and even Cordy gelled very well together and made me stick around for its entire 7 season run. this show is just very off and the actors do not have any chemistry whatsoever and the writing is horrid. chemistry can't be forced, it is just there or it isn't.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-22-07 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yes, but is it camp?
Old 08-22-07, 02:01 AM

Just a note Scott, Buffy was 7 seasons.
Old 08-22-07, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by whovian43
Just a note Scott, Buffy was 7 seasons.
was actually counting the upcoming, rumored animated series
Old 08-22-07, 12:45 PM

The animated series has been cancelled. There is, however, the season 8 comic book series out now which I suppose counts.
Old 08-22-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
this series makes the 80's theatrical release an Oscar contender!
Quote thief!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by DVD Josh on August 14, 2007
It made the 80 movie look like a Best Picture winner in comparison.

This was some of the worst television I've seen in a long while.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=52

How dare you sir!!

Old 08-22-07, 03:36 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whovian43
... You're also right by saying Flash pales in comparison to BSG. However, they are 2 different shows. BSG is a multi-layered sci-fi drama with strong political overtones. Flash is simply an entertaining cliffhanger. It never pretends to be anything else.
And, to be honest, the last season of BSG had a lot of clunkers, too. I think I would have compared Flash to Jericho, which was nearly unwatchable at first.
Old 08-22-07, 05:12 PM

The last season of BSG started out strong and ended strong, but the middle was pretty brutal.
I am not a Jericho fan at all. It's not the post-apoc show it could have been.
Old 08-24-07, 02:08 PM

Fifteen minutes into this thing, I turned to my wife and said, "I can either kill myself, or we can turn this off". Fortunately, my wife loves me.