Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bioshock is out - Let's Discuss!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bioshock is out - Let's Discuss!

Old 08-21-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM'd the CC ad at Best Buy, but to my surprise they gave me the PC Game price $39.99 for the 360 version... I had a $5 Reward Zone Cert and a $30 GC so, after tax I was out of pocket $7
Old 08-21-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
45 seconds until Steam unlockage!
Old 08-21-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
This was covered in the previous thread - that picture of all the doohickeys were were just possible inclusions of the LE set - they had people vote on them and the 3 most popular (dvd, soundtrack, figure) won out over the rest.

Now that I have the set, I can say that the soundtrack, at least, is an absolute waste of plastic, and wish that they gave us the metal-case instead. It has no music from the game - nothing - it's just 3 short songs, remixed by Moby. I would've taken any other extra over this piece of shit excuse of a soundtrack - even the stickers.
The soundtrack is a huge letdown. When I first played the demo and you enter Rapture and the strings and orchestra kick in, it was awesome. I'm sitting in my chair thinking, damn, I can't wait to get that soundtrack. Weak sauce.

I was unaware we missed out on the metal tin. That blows as well. I guess since my Big Daddy is busted getting an art book will ease the blow.
Old 08-21-07, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Okay, I think I'll try calling first here in the T.X. Prices at Fry's fluctuate (sometimes wildly) between areas. If it's $39.99 here I'll make the trip and grab both games, if not.. Metroid still comes out in six days, hehe.
yeah mine are the same

also the employees in the VG area are usually less than stellar

calling is a good idea fo sho

sorry OP I won't make any more posts about buying.. I just finished a Quizno's sub and a I have a large Dr Pepper so I'm ready to play the game now. haha
Old 08-21-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
This was covered in the previous thread - that picture of all the doohickeys were were just possible inclusions of the LE set - they had people vote on them and the 3 most popular (dvd, soundtrack, figure) won out over the rest.
Damn, I guess I should have kept up with that thread better.
Definately not worth the extra $10 IMO, unless really want the figure to put in your aquarium.
The metal case is what I really wanted the most, was so bummed to see that it was just in a plain green case.

Last edited by Maxflier; 08-21-07 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok....a question for all those who have had the game for a bit....

Spoiler:
How do I buy another slot for plasmids? I thought it said to go to the Gather's Garden to buy them but I just killed my first Little Sister and the Gather's Garden in the same room doesn't seem to allow me to buy another slot.

Great game so far. My wife was very understanding when the mail came today and she let me pause the movie we were watching so I could try it. That was almost 4 hours ago.
Old 08-21-07, 03:22 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Ok....a question for all those who have had the game for a bit....

Spoiler:
How do I buy another slot for plasmids? I thought it said to go to the Gather's Garden to buy them but I just killed my first Little Sister and the Gather's Garden in the same room doesn't seem to allow me to buy another slot.

Great game so far. My wife was very understanding when the mail came today and she let me pause the movie we were watching so I could try it. That was almost 4 hours ago.
That's a common question.

You won't be able to find them in those machines until you hit the next level, Neptune's Bounty. They sell for 100 Adam. I recommend purchasing 2 right off the bat.
Old 08-21-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
My wife was very understanding when the mail came today and she let me pause the movie we were watching so I could try it. That was almost 4 hours ago.

wow, sounds like you have a keeper ther
Old 08-21-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$49.99 at my Fry's. Ah well.
Old 08-21-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the soundtrack thing is a pisser. Didn't they announce it as a soundtrack CD? 3 remixed tracks that don't even appear in the game is NOT a soundtrack CD. At least the figure is nice. I'll have to check out the Behind the Scenes DVD later in the week and see if it's worthwhile.
Old 08-21-07, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flay
Would you kindly stop fondling the case?

I've got a wife and child locked up in Rapture and your gentle cuddling isn't bloody helping.
I don't think he gets it. Hehe.

Would you kindly go castrate yourself. lol
Old 08-21-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
wow, sounds like you have a keeper ther
She's understanding. I bought her Hexic 2 today and she hasn't even gotten to play it yet thanks to my compulsive need to play this game.
Old 08-21-07, 04:55 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Target either hadn't stocked it yet or was sold out, but I managed to snag it at Best Buy. I'm just thankful I wasn't forced to resort to Gamestop and endure a "Did you preorder?" speech.
Old 08-21-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there some big secret trick to killing the Big Daddy's? I'm playing on the hard difficulty, so I expected a bit of a challenge, but that first one kicked my butt hard! Drained all 9 of my first aid kits, all my armor piercing bullets, and I was at almost zero life when it died. Now, I seem to have finished Neptune's Bounty (got done with the pictures) and it's telling me I need to go kill the Big Daddy's cause I "really need Adam". I've only got 2 FA kits left right now, and given how hard the first one was, how do I kill 4 more with what I've got?
Old 08-21-07, 05:36 PM

There is no penalty for dying.
Old 08-21-07, 05:44 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by cartman
Is there some big secret trick to killing the Big Daddy's? I'm playing on the hard difficulty, so I expected a bit of a challenge, but that first one kicked my butt hard! Drained all 9 of my first aid kits, all my armor piercing bullets, and I was at almost zero life when it died. Now, I seem to have finished Neptune's Bounty (got done with the pictures) and it's telling me I need to go kill the Big Daddy's cause I "really need Adam". I've only got 2 FA kits left right now, and given how hard the first one was, how do I kill 4 more with what I've got?
Strategy, bud, strategy. I'm playing through on Hard just for the hell of it. Big Daddies are tougher, but still easily handled.

Can you lead him to any hacked turrets or security cameras? Can you lead him through a path of proximity mines? Can you enrage other splicers to attack him? Are you researching the Big Daddy to increase your damage multiplier?
Old 08-21-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hack the vending machine and buy more health kits and ammunition.

Here is my final breakdown: Bioshock: LE for @$40

Bought:
Madden ($48) + Bioshock ($30) [TRU deal]= $83 (after tax)

Sold:
Madden ($53)
Bioshock ($54) = $107
=============
I'm ahead $24

Bought:
Bioshock: LE (10% off at GS) = $63
- $24
====
$39

Old 08-21-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Well I picked my pre-order up at Best Buy around 3pm. I was a little worried they were sold out and had none left but there were still about (20) copies in the rack. I have a feeling they may not make it thru the night. I'm just glad I got mine so it's off to Rapture for the evening.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 08-21-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flay
That's a common question.

You won't be able to find them in those machines until you hit the next level, Neptune's Bounty. They sell for 100 Adam. I recommend purchasing 2 right off the bat.
Just to make sure

Spoiler:
We start off with two slots, correct? One ends up being incinerate, and I can't remember the other, but you have to lose the original plasmid. Correct?
Old 08-21-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So is the second or third "official" thread?

-
Left work this morning at 10 to pick mine up. GS is only about 5 minutes away.

My big daddy has a tiny piece broken off, not the entire arm. I'm disappointed about the case. I thought they were doing a metal case. Custom printed artwork is pretty weak. Anyone can scan that in and make it available for everyone else to print out. Weak. That was the whole point of the contest, design an image that works in Black and White so it can be embossed on metal. on that.
My big daddy was fine except for a tiny piece of his drill broken off.
Old 08-21-07, 06:11 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by movieking
Just to make sure

Spoiler:
We start off with two slots, correct? One ends up being incinerate, and I can't remember the other, but you have to lose the original plasmid. Correct?
Yes, 2 slots. It's not lost, just stored in your plasmid bank. You can toss it back into the rotation when you buy a new slot or visit a Gene Bank.
Old 08-21-07, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Saaa-aaa-wwwweeeet...

Spoiler:
I only played up to killing the Dr. to get the key.. just got Telekenesis and damn this game rules. I'm trying to hack as much as possible early on and so far it's helping a lot. Esp with the unmanned sentry machine guns. It was awesome to watch the guns rip apart Splicers on their own while I stood in the other room and threw shit at them with my mind.

I'm also trying to search every nook and cranny of the maps. That has helped too.

Can't wait to go for a few more hours tonight. I can tell that I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

One of the best things so far is that I totally don't even mind dying. In fact once or twice I've been glad b/c it was stupid mistake that I knew I wouldn't repeat... and I wanted to see the level design one more time anyway. haha.
Old 08-21-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Big Daddy is busted. At least the arms are intact.

Before surgery

After surgery and with Diablo and Master Chief

Last edited by edstein; 08-21-07 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
My big daddy was fine except for a tiny piece of his drill broken off.
Finally got a chance to open mine to see what piece was busted. The tip of the drill for me as well.
Old 08-21-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
Mine was fine, the game is awesome thus far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.