Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Have DVD's Become a Commodity

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have DVD's Become a Commodity

It appears that hi def dvds are a total bust. That is even if blueray is the winner standard dvds will dominate the market for the foreseeable future IMHO. I see standard DVDs right now as a commodity item. Prices are so low on movies that have recently come out. Many are in the 5-10.00 range. The secondary market for used DVDs have really dried up. I used to be able to reduce excess on half.com or ebay but it looks like those avenues are pretty much dead. I have a ton of disks and want to declutter my house. I may buy one of those 400 changers to claim some space. Any other thoughts about this? Also good luck selling hi def dvds at a big premium over standard disks. People are used to cheap prices on movies these days.

Rob
Old 08-19-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't gone Hi-def, but to call it a total bust seems pretty asinine. As far as whether or not DVD's have become a commodity, I have no idea what you mean. Yes they have dropped in value, but what does that have to do with being a commodity? All that means is they are becoming less valuable as a commodity.

Last edited by starman9000; 08-19-07 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-19-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HD/Blu Ray and standard DVD will be the equivalent of what Laserdisc and VHS was back in the 80's.

VHS and standard dvd were/are the preferred formats because of the price. LD and HD/Blu Ray is for the audio and video enthusiast only.

I'll be sticking with standard dvd.
Old 08-19-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah....although I do feel that one or the other will replace dvd in years to come.....

but to stay on topic, you are right; you can't get anything for used dvds!! it def. is a buyers market
Old 08-19-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi-Def is doing better than DVD was in 1998. So if it's a failure, DVD is doomed.

Within five years, the majority of households will have HDTV. Within ten, a big majority. At that time I think more people will realize the benefits of HD DVD and/or BD and/or HD VOD.
Old 08-19-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you may have been thinking of another word besides "commodity". Of course it is a commodity, it is a product that people buy. I have an HD DVD player and love it. It seems that something like this was said when standard DVD's came out and look what we have now. I think that once HDTV becomes standard broadcast, which I believe will be happening within a few years, you will see the HD disc format start to pick up. I believe the HD disc format has only been out less than two years??? I wish I could upgrade my whole collection to HD right now, but I'll have to do it a little at a time.

Long live HD!
Old 08-19-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
HD/Blu Ray and standard DVD will be the equivalent of what Laserdisc and VHS was back in the 80's.

VHS and standard dvd were/are the preferred formats because of the price. LD and HD/Blu Ray is for the audio and video enthusiast only.
I've always felt that. One (or both) of the HD disc formats may acheive greater market penetration than laserdiscs did, but it will still remain somewhat of a niche format. To most people, DVDs are good enough (just as many people who own HDTVs do not even watch actual HD programming on them). But I'm quite happy being in the niche, I love watching HD discs.

Not sure of the OPs use of the word "commodity" in his post though.
Old 08-19-07, 12:56 PM

I think I need to explain a little more. I know a little bit about retailing, especially mass retailing. The standard DVD has become such a mass market item that the retailers sell many of the new titles at or near cost.

I think the older movies, which these days can be a short time after release make them a higher percentage of profits even though they sell for less. I think the hi def stuff is going to have major trouble getting any real traction in the marketplace. On these boards we are considered enthusiasts. I remember getting my first dvd player (Toshiba at $300.00) and finding this site which has become hugely popular. The leap from VHS to DVD was so major it has redefined the movie business. More or less I think the format battles are over and both lose out. Now they have to figure out a way to sell a disk one side standard dvd and one side hi def (whatever format) works out. However there is room for only one hi def format. And somehow I think everything will go digital from the internet one way or another.

Rob
Old 08-19-07, 01:37 PM

Eventually the Hi-def discs will outsell DVDs. Why wouldn't they? As the price of players drop why wouldn't someone but a player that can play both a hi-def disc as well as a DVD? If the discs price are close to be the same cost who wouldn't prefer the "better" disc?
Old 08-19-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I have been using the term "commodity" to describe DVDs for years. By that I mean that a DVD purchased in Maine is exactly the same as (the same title) DVD purchased in Nebraska, California, Hawaii, or online.

I am still amazed at the prices some B&Ms ask for DVDs when this "commodity" is available easily & sooooo much cheaper elsewhere. I would have expected a leveling-out of prices by now to reduce the often huge price disparity, but I still see DVDs marked at (sometimes) twice the price, plus tax! at certain well-known retailers.
Old 08-19-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems like everything I buy at stores is a commodity these days.
Old 08-19-07, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
Eventually the Hi-def discs will outsell DVDs. Why wouldn't they? As the price of players drop why wouldn't someone but a player that can play both a hi-def disc as well as a DVD? If the discs price are close to be the same cost who wouldn't prefer the "better" disc?
Perhaps I don't understand enough about hi-def, but don't I need a hi-def TV to see a hi-def DVD in it's full potential? I am not in the market for a new TV right now.
Old 08-19-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't understand this post at all. I have had no trouble trading in discs at DVD Planet and selling them on Half.com and getting real value for them. I have moved probably $400 worth of discs this year as I upgrade to HD. DVDs still have value.

HD discs are not a failure either. They may never fully replace DVDs, but their sales numbers are steadily increasing and seem right on the pace DVDs were about 18 months in.

Last edited by darkside; 08-19-07 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 06:13 PM

I've had good success unloading tons of dvds that were taking up clutter either on ebay or in a couple local shops. I find the ones that are difficult to get rid of are ones that have better versions released. I'm selling the original versions of the Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns on ebay right now because I upgraded to the Japanese 2 disc editions. I knew I was going to get almost nothing for them, but something is better than nothing. Other discs that are out of print can fetch a lot of money. I wouldn't call dvds in general a commodity. If you can get the ones that are more in demand, that's where you can be successful in selling. Otherwise, I think for the most part they just take up space. HD will become the standard, no matter which version wins. Just like with dual layered dvds, the technology will become easier and more common for the studios to produce and the prices will go down. I find it amazing that the list on standard new dvds is still in the $30 range, even though they sell for cheaper. Lasers were generally $40, but not as in demand, so that ken cranes 20% off with $1.50 UPS shipping was always welcomed. I still think they were more fun.
Old 08-19-07, 07:50 PM

I think any time you collect something that has personal value to you, and pretty much you alone, it becomes a commodity. You can't expect to get top dollar for your used and abused items. Think of it in terms of a car and the value it loses the minute you drive off the lot. A DVD is probably the same once you break the seal.

I think HD will have a future when the prices become more reasonable and the titles more widely available. I have an HD TV, and I don't see the point in spending $29 per DVD, when half the stuff I watch is foreign and isn't even available in HD.
Old 08-19-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SmartisSexy
I think HD will have a future when the prices become more reasonable and the titles more widely available. I have an HD TV, and I don't see the point in spending $29 per DVD, when half the stuff I watch is foreign and isn't even available in HD.
Hi-def discs definitely have a future. I just don't see how they will make it to the mainstream while there are two competing formats. There's only a handful of hybrid players and they are selling for a sky-high price of $1000... and THAT is for a "budget" LG player.

Even if we see a quality hybrid player for $200, consumers will be confused about the two different formats.

The hi-def disc scene is a mess. My hope is that both formats go down in flames and a 3rd alternative emerges. Until then, I'll just enjoy my personal digital video archive (DVD collection)...with a healthy percentage of unwatched discs, and discs requiring 2nd and 3rd viewings. I'll enjoy the extra pocket money because my collection has matured to a point where there is only 1 release a month or so that I'm interested in.
Old 08-19-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have gone HD-DVD and on a 92" screen, I have a hard time watching DVDS now. HD-DVD are so much nicer. I cant wait till DVD is gone and its either HD-DVD or bluray. Lossless sound and HD picture is awesome. DVDS feel like VHS to me now.

HD will catch on, right now the prices are too high right now.

Last edited by maingon; 08-19-07 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I traded in about 50 dvd's to DVDPlanet for an average of $5-6 each. No complaints here. I'm prepping another round of 75-ish right now.
Old 08-20-07, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Perhaps I don't understand enough about hi-def, but don't I need a hi-def TV to see a hi-def DVD in it's full potential? I am not in the market for a new TV right now.
ayou are correct, you need a HDTV to get the benefits of HD discs. But as time goes on more nad more people will be getting HDTVs, which will lead to more and more people wanting to utilize them to their fullest, and that means HD discs. I do think the dual formats are slowing people from converting to them.
Old 08-20-07, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I have had no trouble trading in discs at DVD Planet and selling them on Half.com and getting real value for them. I have moved probably $400 worth of discs this year as I upgrade to HD. DVDs still have value.
I have trouble, but as you point out it's not insurmountable. If you rely on only a few stores to unload your dvds you might run into trouble more often.

But I do see OP's point. A lot of pop discs become virtually worthless at stores like amazon.com and ebay, valued sometimes as low as $2. Locally, stores like FYE won't even buy many titles. I've had to sell such discs to game stores or pawn shops that don't know better.
Old 08-20-07, 05:37 AM
Cool New Member

I really don't see how Hi-Def DVDs will be a bust. PS3 has started to pick up steam after a price cut and the 360's HD-DVD add-on has been gradually lowering in price, both of which nearly demand an HDTV to even remotely enjoy the product (and everyone I know with either consoles have made the purchase). We've all watched as gaming has grown into the mainstream, and I think hi-def movies will eventually follow suit.

I also don't think you should really compare it to laserdisc's demise, as the unit itself was basically a one trick pony. Today we have multifunctional entertainment consoles which play games, regular DVDs, and hi-def dvds, stream music and video and whatnot to our newfangled HDTVs. What the original post is suggesting is like comparing the old early 90's cellphone to today's Iphone.

And to be honest, I'm glad DVDs are lowering in price. I don't go out and purchase a DVD for resale, and if I can get what I want for cheaper, hoofreakingray . I buy to add to my collection of crap that I'll watch more than a single time, not to resell and get 20% of my money back.
Old 08-20-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
It is true that you can't sell used dvds for over $15 like you used to, heck, you'll be lucky to get $10 for a dvd now - even used Criterions are going for less than that.
Old 08-20-07, 12:27 PM
Suspended

I just love being able to find so many awesome DVDs for low low prices, since I'm a cheap DVD slut.

They look great upconverted to 1080 on my hdtv.

When I start seeing HD/BD titles on sale for under 10.00 I'll get in the pool.

Right now it's just too perfect. I don't think I've paid full retail price for a regular DVD in at least a year.

It really does remind me of when VHS hit critical mass and new releases went from being 89.99 to 19.99.

I don't know for sure if DVD manufacturing costs are less than VHS was in it's prime, but it seems like they must be. If so then it makes sense that I can find pretty awesome titles for 3.99-5.99 on special every week, incl. C.E.s, 2-discers, etc... it rules!!

So, yeah I don't think HD is a bust. It's just in the early adopter phase still. By this Xmas it will either hit a new plateau or there will be some change made to the format(s). Either by each format's backer, or a third party. Maybe combo players will actually be decent... ? Who knows.

Last edited by An4h0ny; 08-20-07 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 12:30 PM
Banned

I agree with the original poster.
I own over 1800 dvd titles and cannot imagine buying them again on HDdvd or BLu-Ray. The regular DVD's will suffice for me.
I like to have the best possible version of the film when i own a title but frankly i am not impressed at all with the hi-def disks and think regular DVd will continue to be my choice.
Old 08-20-07, 01:21 PM

UMDs will win this format war, just give it time

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.