Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Why does the movie's quality have to count when reviewing the DVD?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-18-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was disappointed when reading the review for Broken Arrow on Blu-Ray. Basically, this set didn't get good marks because the reviewer didn't like Broken Arrow. I understand that, but I like to think we are way past that.

When I check on the reviews for the HD formats I want to know how the video and audio quality is. I really wish the reviews were more set up like DVD Beaver. Unless this is the first time a movie is being released on a digital format I do not need synopsis or care about the opinion of the movie. I want the opinion of the transfer.

I want a DVD review not a movie review.
Old 08-18-07, 11:22 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what your complaint is. Is it that the review of the A/V quality was insufficient or that the movie received a "skip it" rating? Assuming its the latter, do you really want reviewers to ignore the content of a film? That's why we buy them afterall.

Last edited by videophile; 08-18-07 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PopcornTreeCt if you like the reviews better at DVD Beaver then why don’t you just read the reviews there & choose not to read the reviews at DVD Talk?

The actually quality of the film is more important than the A/V quality in my opinion. If you like the film/TV series then you would most likely pick up the DVD/HD DVD/Blu-Ray no matter what.

I’m not a DVD reviewer here at DVD (I wish I had the opportunity) but I find that offensive by saying you like another DVD review website’s DVD reviews more. If you like the reviews over at DVD Beaver then no ones stopping you from reading them & not reading the ones here at DVD Talk.

Every DVD review website is different, a site isn’t going to change it’s format of reviewing.
Old 08-19-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
When I check on the reviews for the HD formats I want to know how the video and audio quality is.
Then read the video and audio sections and skip the rest.
Old 08-19-07, 07:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
i find the reviews on this site better than all the rest. i love the format, the content and the ratings. the others are ok, some are dreadful, but i only really rely on DVD Talk for my reviews.
Old 08-19-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
PopcornTreeCt, they review the Movie, the Video, the Audio, and the Extras here - basically EVERYTHING on a disc - and you want them to review less stuff???
Old 08-20-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't, not at all, at least not in the Video & Audio sections of the review.

As far as the overall rating, of course whether the movie/TV show is good or not counts. If the movie stinks, why would I want to own the DVD, no matter how good the transfer is and the extras are?
Old 08-20-07, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by S Galbraith IV
It doesn't, not at all, at least not in the Video & Audio sections of the review.

As far as the overall rating, of course whether the movie/TV show is good or not counts. If the movie stinks, why would I want to own the DVD, no matter how good the transfer is and the extras are?

Also even if the Audio/Video isn’t top notch, if you love the film/TV series than why wouldn’t you buy it?
It’s nice too read about the Audio/Video quality (which the reviewers cover) but ultimately I’m going to buy/not buy the DVD based on the quality of the movie/TV show, not the A/V quality.
Old 08-20-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see my mistake in my post and I apologize. I do not wish that the reviews did not focus on the movie's plot but merely gave enough paragraph space to AV quality. I understand the need for the synopsis even though, me personally, I'm interested in the quality of the disc because I have seen pretty every catalog title that's been released in High Definition.
Old 08-21-07, 05:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Under the best of circumstances, we provide more than a synopsis, we provide analysis. But if you already know you like a movie, then just go right to the A/V portions and ignore the rest. If I hate Movie A, but you love it, and I write a review saying, "Well, this disc looks and sounds great, but I just couldn't get into the movie," then you know that it'll be worth it for you to buy it. My opinion of the content of the film should not lessen the accuracy of the technical aspects of the review. It shouldn't matter whether I rate it "Skip It" or "Highly Recommended" since you get the information that is important to you in the body of the review.

Edit: Now, if you're saying someone's opinion of the movie is coloring their ability to review the technical aspects (i.e. I love The Usual Suspects and give it five stars for audio and video despite it having fairly poor A/V on Blu-ray, or I hate King Kong and give it 0 stars for A/V even though it clearly looks and sounds great) that is another matter and should be addressed, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-21-07 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-21-07, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I see my mistake in my post and I apologize. I do not wish that the reviews did not focus on the movie's plot but merely gave enough paragraph space to AV quality. I understand the need for the synopsis even though, me personally, I'm interested in the quality of the disc because I have seen pretty every catalog title that's been released in High Definition.
Good man.

The quality of the disc is still very important.