Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Best animated blind buys for an adult?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't watch much animated stuff as a kid, so I'm coming to animated series as an adult.

I loved the whole Bruce Timm series (Batman Animated, Superman Animated, Justice League). I didn't like Batman Beyond, mostly because I didn't like the old crippled bitter Batman. I prefer to think that Batman ran off with Wonder Woman at the end of Justice League.

I loved Star Trek Animated, and I am going to get the filmation Flash Gordon.

I also love Invader Zim.

What other superhero/space series are good blind buys for adult viewers?

Is He-Man good? I am a woman, so I've never been into the whole Conan/Hercules stuff. Although I do like Xena.

Are any of the old DC animated shows like Superfriends watchable for adults?

What about X-Men, Spiderman, Hulk and Fantastic Four. Are those for adults, or just kids?
Old 08-18-07, 02:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
you might want to have this moved to "Reviews and Recommendation". this is the Bargains forum.
also, the new "Spawn" Animated set is very very adult!
Old 08-18-07, 03:00 PM

sounds like you are ready to make the plunge into anime. Dont dismiss it becuase of subtitles. honestly, after a few flicks its no big deal. The problem in the US is anything animated is automatically assumed for kids and marketed to kids. Even if the creators make them enjoyable for adults, the bottom line is they must be marketed to kids to be commerically viable here.

In japan, animation is as valid an entertainment medium and art as film or anything else.
There are a ton of topics on dvdtalk about "new to anime" etc with choice items to get your feet wet. Just search before posting a new topic. Personally, it looks like you like the action stuff. Check out GHost In the Shell and the TV series of it. Amazing kick ass anime. Miyazaki (spelling?) is an anime god. Its not action but his movies have a creativity and imagination you just dont find very many places. Want something to get the girfriend\wife to watch with you. Grave of the Fireflies, guaranteed to produce tears, very emotional.
Old 08-18-07, 03:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
The Venture Brothers.
Old 08-18-07, 03:04 PM

I'm a girl too and LOVED the Conan comic books from the '70s too. I liked the '90s X-men series. Same with The Tick and '90s Spiderman series. But didn't watch He-Man, She-Ra or even Transformers so can't help you there.

But if you 'd like to expand into animated shows, try renting some anime. Movies I liked were Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust , Memories, Princess Mononoke, Millenium Actress, among others. Also my husband loved Bastard. He said it was like adult version of '80s Sat kids action show. Only three eps but I like it. ^^

Here's link of reviews for a few different shows.

http://www.animetric.com/aindex.html

BTW, my tastes run toward occult type shows like Hellsing and such, but the nice people in the Anime Bargains thread can give you recomendations for things you might like.
Old 08-18-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
The Venture Brothers.
I second that. And check out The Animation Show.
Old 08-18-07, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Christi P
I didn't watch much animated stuff as a kid, so I'm coming to animated series as an adult.

I loved the whole Bruce Timm series (Batman Animated, Superman Animated, Justice League). I didn't like Batman Beyond, mostly because I didn't like the old crippled bitter Batman. I prefer to think that Batman ran off with Wonder Woman at the end of Justice League.

I loved Star Trek Animated, and I am going to get the filmation Flash Gordon.

I also love Invader Zim.

What other superhero/space series are good blind buys for adult viewers?

Is He-Man good? I am a woman, so I've never been into the whole Conan/Hercules stuff. Although I do like Xena.

Are any of the old DC animated shows like Superfriends watchable for adults?

What about X-Men, Spiderman, Hulk and Fantastic Four. Are those for adults, or just kids?
I just want to start off by saying I really dislike Anime shows.

However Shows Like Futurama and Venture Bro. are definetely watchable. Sealab isnt bad either. Just turn on Adult Swim one night and see what looks good.

The Invincible IronMan was pretty cool to.
Old 08-18-07, 03:33 PM

Not really sure this is the right forum for this post, but I love The Star Wars Clone Wars series. Futurama is also fantastic, definitely stick with it as it really hits stride in the 3rd season.

I also like Samurai Jack for a little more of an esoteric watch.
Old 08-18-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Layziebones
I just want to start off by saying I really dislike Anime shows.
So I guess Bible Black is out of the question.
Old 08-18-07, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
The Venture Brothers.
Third that.

'Aqua Teen Hunger Force' is hilarious.

In terms of movies, 'Akira' is excellent, and pretty much anything by Studio Ghibli under Miyazaki is as good a recommendation as you'll need.
Old 08-18-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by smackattack
Grave of the Fireflies, guaranteed to produce tears...
...or boredom. I just don't get the love for this film. It all seemed too contrived. It just wanted to make you sad while using cliche situations and cardboard characters. And it's not that I am cold-hearted. I actually tend to shed a few too easily in films...but this one tries too hard and fails.

I know you mentioned you don't like anime but you might want to give a show called Cowboy Bebop a try. I am completely green to anime but recently discovered this show thru a friend and now it is one of my all time favorite shows. The whole series only ran for around 24 episodes but every character has an extensive backstory that was fully fleshed out. It isn't just action but has a lot of humor and heart. It not all man stuff either as two of the main characters are a young child and a twenty-something female yet neither are cliche or boring or seem added just to have a woman & kid in the cast.

Each episode is only approx 20 minutes and it flies by. If you don't like it by the first few episodes, you can easily dump it without having involved a lot of time. I was hooked after the first episode.
Old 08-18-07, 08:46 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
...or boredom. I just don't get the love for this film. It all seemed too contrived. It just wanted to make you sad while using cliche situations and cardboard characters. And it's not that I am cold-hearted. I actually tend to shed a few too easily in films...but this one tries too hard and fails.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I have the exact opposite opinion of the film. It's magnificent. Since it was based on the creator's life growing up in Japan at the end of WWII, (and the event at the end did happen) I didn't think it was contrived at all. It is a poinant and touching story of someone growing up under the most difficult circumstances.

Oh, and the OP didn't say she dislike anime, that was someone else. I'd second Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Cowboy Bebop, Miyazaki's work and Samurai Jack. The Invicible Ironman was really, really bad (and I'm a huge fan of the comic) and I didn't really care for the two Avengers movies either.

The recent Spiderman cartoon (the MTV one) is good too.
Old 08-18-07, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
you might want to have this moved to "Reviews and Recommendation". this is the Bargains forum.
Sorry - i meant to put it in the DVD Talk section, but I opened the wrong page.

I love Futurama. I tried Samarui Jack once - and there were little green dog aliens. It seemed too odd for me.

What is Sealab about?
Old 08-18-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have to second (or third or whatever) the recommendations of the extremely entertaining "Cowboy Bebop". I watched the entire series for the first time this year and it quickly became one of my favorite television series. It's got a great style, memorable characters, and almost anything else you could want from an anime... And it has a fantastic soundtrack.

And "Grave of the Fireflies" is one of the greatest films of all time, animated or otherwise. It's an incredibly beautiful, heartbreaking film (with not a false or contrived moment, in my opinion...)

But if you're not interested in anime, I'd agree with Layziebones recommendation - just turn on Adult Swim for a few hours and see what grabs your attention. I haven't seen most of the shows on there, but I have quite enjoyed the few "Venture Bros." episodes that I've watched.
Old 08-18-07, 11:02 PM

Aeon Flux. But it is not for everybody. I would recommend watching some clips and reading up on it at wikipedia to get a better idea of what it is about.
Old 08-18-07, 11:17 PM

I would checkout the animated hellboys Sword of storms and Blood & Iron. I also enjoyed the Marvel animated features: ultimate avengers 1&2 and Iron Man. I havent seen the professor strange yet so i cant really recommend right now. One other I like a lot is American Dad but that can be hit or miss with the humor.
Old 08-18-07, 11:50 PM

going old school here -

Gargoyles

if after the first 5 episodes your not in... you wont ever be - but its some of the coolest stuff ever.
Old 08-18-07, 11:53 PM

i recommend you to check out japanese anime..... cuz they R da BOMB!!!!!
Old 08-19-07, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Makaveli915
i recommend you to check out japanese anime..... cuz they R da BOMB!!!!!

No it is not. ^^ This coming from a fan. Anime does have a wide range of genres from sci-fi, romance, drama, kids' shows, etc. But it's not the end all be all of animation.

Like the saying goes, 90% of everything is crap. Life's too short to wade through hours of anime you don't like and shows you have no interest in. To the OP, you could try on-line renting.

BlockBuster is terrible about sending series out of order or not at all. Their Total Access program used to be better with thier instore rentals. Now it's limited to five in-store rentals a month.

Netflix has more anime and animated shows available. NF also has movies you can watch online as part of its subscription. I didn't have a good enough setup to take advantage of it though.

Edit: Forgot to add, you can search both Blockbuster and Netflix to see what shows they have before signing up.

From Netflix, I've rented Hellboy: Sword of Storms, most of the Batman Beyond series, The Tick vs: Season 1 and caught up on volumes I missed from Blockbuster. BB is not good for catching a whole series at once. :P

Last edited by radicaldeth; 08-19-07 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-19-07, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by JoN8282
going old school here -

Gargoyles

if after the first 5 episodes your not in... you wont ever be - but its some of the coolest stuff ever.
I completely agree with you. This was one of the first animated series to cater to an adult audience as well as children. I loved this series...
Old 08-19-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ghost In The Shell (lead character is a female cyborg)
Ghost In The Shell 2:Innocence
Akira

For a flashback consider Ralph Bakshi's Fritz The Cat which is adults only although it isn't that "dirty". It contains nudity, drugs, etc. and broke a lot of taboos when it was released.

Last edited by Mosskeeto; 08-19-07 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-19-07, 03:55 AM

When I was growing up in the 90's I loved Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, Ducktales, Gummi Bears... Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers... oh dang, a trip down memory lane... lots of stuff.

Never got into Anime -- okay, I was into Pokemon, but that was just a fad, honestly.
Old 08-19-07, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by BMan100
When I was growing up in the 90's I loved Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, Ducktales, Gummi Bears... Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers... oh dang, a trip down memory lane... lots of stuff.

Never got into Anime -- okay, I was into Pokemon, but that was just a fad, honestly.
Pokemon actually is damn good, I just watched the first season with my son. it was better than expected.I can see why thier our countless video games. you have to watch from the begining.
Old 08-19-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the hell is this in the Bargains forum??
Old 08-19-07, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Why the hell is this in the Bargains forum??
mentioned several times before. Mods?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.