Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "BioShock" Discussion Thread! Seriously. I mean it this time.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official "BioShock" Discussion Thread! Seriously. I mean it this time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Official "Bioshock" Thread! (Release Date: August 21st)

Since the game is less than a month from release, I thought it was time to give one of the biggest games of the year it's own thread.

BioShock is said by the developers to include a great deal of interactive environments and player-driven choices, called emergent gameplay, with Ken Levine stating its interactivity would be "unprecedented". While the term has been used for a variety of games, such as the popular Grand Theft Auto series, it is believed that this gameplay will borrow highly from System Shock and System Shock 2. Another point of focus is the "AI ecology", which will dynamically search for opportunities to fulfill their purpose. The player can even exploit the ecology to his/her advantage, making enemies and NPCs turn against each other or otherwise manipulate them into helping the player.
One of the more informative official game sites around, the Cult of Rapture is full of great downloads and information. Including a very busy forum, wallpapers, buddy icons, screenshots, podcasts (and lots of them), gameplay videos, in-game plasmid examples.

Sign up for the forums and you can get an awesome gamer pic or theme for your 360, one of the many perks of being a 'cult member.'

I picked up my pre-order at Best Buy the other day.

Can't wait to finally have this in my hand. System Shock 2 is one of my top 5 games of all time.

All further news and updates about the game should be posted here.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 07-25-07 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Funny you posted this. I'm sitting here debating the $70 SE or the $40 pre-order offer at Liongames.com that expires today. $30 is a huge difference. I'm leaning towards the $40 and using the difference on Metroid or Half-Life which is also only $40 there.

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Sign up for the forums and you can get an awesome gamer pic or theme for your 360, one of the many perks of being a 'cult member.'
Cool. Didn't know that.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-25-07 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Cool. Didn't know that.
You can find out more about the perks and how to get them here:

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/perks.html
Old 07-25-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really know nothing about this game, or the ones that came before it. I'm usually on the fence with all FPS adventure games that do not have a strong, online element.

That being said, I will say my interest has peaked after getting that Bioshock faceplate :x
Old 07-25-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Live outside of North America? Have your eye set on a collector's edition of BioShock? The Cult of the Rapture website outlines which countries will be getting them:

I have been getting messages asking about an update on the BioShock Collector's Edition for countries other than the US and Canada, and I finally have an update for you.

The Collector's Edition will be available at selected retailers in Australia and New Zealand as well as most European countries including:

* Austria
* Belgium
* Denmark
* France
* Germany
* Italy
* Netherlands
* Norway
* Spain
* Sweden
* Switzerland UK

The BioShock Collector's Edition is available for PC and Xbox 360 and contains the game in a limited edition embossed steel case, a Making Of DVD, Soundtrack CD, hand finished resin figurine (14cm height).
Old 07-25-07, 03:00 PM

that figurine sounds bad ass

I assume its that robot looking thing on the cover?
Old 07-25-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^ Yes, the Big Daddy.

For those clueless Americans, like myself, 14cm is about 5.5."
Old 07-25-07, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
I really know nothing about this game, or the ones that came before it.
The System Shock series is old. The first one is a DOS game that came out in 1994. The sequel came out in 1999 for Windows. They are FPS/RPG/horror games all mixed together.

Have you ever played Deus Ex? It is very similar in concept with the same FPS/RPG ideas.
Old 07-25-07, 03:04 PM

it sounds vaugely familiar
Old 07-25-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really know nothing about this game, or the ones that came before it. I'm usually on the fence with all FPS adventure games that do not have a strong, online element.

That being said, I will say my interest has peaked after getting that Bioshock faceplate :x
Your interest will really get peaked after you check out some of the videos they offer.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/downloads.html

And what faceplate are you talking about?
Old 07-25-07, 03:13 PM

theres this special edition Bioshock faceplate that they are giving to all EB/GS managers (one per store)

through my manager friend. I could post the link again here showing the faceplate. It's absolutely brilliant.

Unfortunately, they want you to stand the xbox vertical for the plate. Yea, won't be doing that (ate 2 of my games that way)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Limited-Edition-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-25-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that figurine sounds bad ass

I assume its that robot looking thing on the cover?

And this is a preliminary look at the Limited Edition content...

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 07-25-07 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 03:17 PM

wow

that makes my Lost Planet figurine look like ass
Old 07-25-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that's how you make a limited edition! Looks really nice - think I'll be picking it up.
Old 07-25-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This game looks great, but I think I am going to wait until I upgrade my PC again after looking at the system requirements. I want to upgrade soon anyways since Crysis is also coming but the upgrade may be a ways off yet. Is the PC getting a LE set too? I want to get the PC version because I can't stand the controller for FPS's.
Old 07-25-07, 03:36 PM
Banned

Is there a Little Sister figurine too?
Old 07-25-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait for this game. I'm looking forward to this much more than Halo 3. I'm not much of a PC gamer so I'll probably opt for the 360 version.
Old 07-25-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by msdmoney
This game looks great, but I think I am going to wait until I upgrade my PC again after looking at the system requirements. I want to upgrade soon anyways since Crysis is also coming but the upgrade may be a ways off yet. Is the PC getting a LE set too? I want to get the PC version because I can't stand the controller for FPS's.

The BioShock Limited Edition will be available to US and Canada exclusively at GameStop and EB (this i didn't know) for US$59.99 (PC LE) and US$69.99 (Xbox 360™ LE). The Limited Edition will also be available in other territories and details about ordering a copy will be coming soon.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 07-25-07 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
System Shock 2 is hands down the scariest game I've ever played. You play the role of a soldier who wakens from cryo-sleep on an abandoned space ship, trapped between a psychopathic computer and an army of murderous aliens.
Old 07-25-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Funny you posted this. I'm sitting here debating the $70 SE or the $40 pre-order offer at Liongames.com that expires today. $30 is a huge difference. I'm leaning towards the $40 and using the difference on Metroid or Half-Life which is also only $40 there.
Thanks for the heads up. I just placed an order through Liongames for the $40 (traded in a couple of games too) - I've just heard so many great things about the game that I thought "what the hell?"
Old 07-25-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts
Yup. I preordered that from Liongames as well. As nice as that LE is (VERY NICE), I need to save some jack with Halo 3, Mass Effect, Half Life Orange Box, GTA IV and Rock Band still on the horizon. I'm almost glad I don't own another next-gen system.
Old 07-25-07, 04:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm, I may have to buy that LE set, especially since I'm skipping the ungodly expensive edition of Halo.
Old 07-25-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm very interested in this game. I haven't really read alot about it, but it looks interesting, and like something that I would really get into.

Metroid and Bioshock. My Wii and 360 will be doing overtime in August.
Old 07-25-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I assume this thread is for both PC & 360 versions but no matter; I'm all over this game. I did play S.S on the pc and yes Bioshock will be even better. I've been reading several forums and this game is a "must have". I think they timed the release just right in August before Halo3 and the flood of some great games. It'll fill the viod till then.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 07-25-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And yes this is for the PC and 360 version of Bioshock.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I just don't think my computer is up to snuff for this, and I'd kinda like to sit back in bed and take the game in like a good book. I'll definitely re-buy it when I have a great PC again, because this game seems endlessly replayable!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.