Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Sadness upon finishing a book

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 12:34 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadness upon finishing a book

Well

This is about the sadness you might feel upon finishing a book.
I just finished "Lolita" from Nabokov. Great book. After reading it I saw the 1997 movie which was inferior, of course, but had some good acting.

Some of you may remember that I was in the process of leaving my wife last October. She was 21 and I am about to be 33. She was a nothing career girl, and I was an experienced systems analyst having worked my way up from nothing. Although she claimed to be experienced and worldly, she was not. She a "dramatista". A lier. She was a child. But I loved her dearly, my carmencita. Maybe that's why this book hit so hard. The truth about loss is that you can never recover that which is gone.

What books made you feel sad and why?

Bill
Old 08-16-07, 05:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack Womack's "Random Acts of Senseless Violence" made me feel sad because of the gradual and irredeemable fall of the protagonist i.e the complete disintegration of her family and life.

Last edited by benedict; 08-17-07 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was sad when I got to the end of the Dark Tower by Stephen King, this series of books was one of the things that my ex-husband and I had in common, we had read and listen to them on tape/cd many times and we talked about how the story should end. We had divorced by the time the last book had been released and when I finished the book I did not have any one to talk about it with , the other thing that made me sad was that it was such a long journey with Stephen King all the books that came in between, then his accident and the news that he was goinig to retire, I did not think the series would ever finish.

Last edited by movie diva; 08-16-07 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay did that for me. It was by FAR the best read I've had this year and I cannot believe it took me this long to get to it. Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby also leaving me feeling the same way. Sort of melancholy and even a bit empty, a strong sense of longing when I realize the ride is over.