Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Come look at the freak! Corvin is getting his first Playstation! Bring some advice.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Come look at the freak! Corvin is getting his first Playstation! Bring some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

That's right. I bit the bullet and ordered a PS3 earlier today. Yea! I have never owned a single Playstation system. Nada. None. Zilch. I know. I'm a freak. The N64 was my platform of choice in the late 90's followed by a brief stint with the Dreamcast and on to the Gamecube, Xbox, 360 and Wii. Nintendo and MS's offerings always seemed to compliment each other so I never felt the need for Sony's offerings.

Now, I'm mostly getting this for the Blu-ray, big surprise, but I have a couple of generations of gaming at my disposal that I missed out on, so I don't know where to begin. PS3 gaming-wise, I can't wait to try Lair, but I just want previous gen help.

There have only been two titles that have stuck in my mind from the PS2 that I always felt I missed out on, Maximo and the Mark of Kri. Those are first up on my list, but after that, I'm at a loss. I love platforming, but the Wii60 isn't filling that void at the moment so what should I start with? Which Ratchet game? Jak? Others?

A few things before suggesting:
- not a big sports fan
- not an RPG fan

Other than those two, I'm open to about anything, especially since most PS2 titles can be had fairly cheap.
Old 08-15-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

...that is all
Old 08-15-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ratchet and Clank games are awesome.. but it's three games of the exact same thing. I'd suggest getting the second one, as it's the best of them (marginally). Both Maximo games are awesome as well. Ape Escape 3 is pretty good too. I'm having a though time thinking of many non-import or non-RPG games though. Oh, Klonoa 2, if you can find it, is pure 2D bliss.
Old 08-15-07, 03:07 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'd go with the first Ratchet game as well as the first Jak game to see if you like them. If so, you can find the others pretty cheap as well. I think there are 3 Ratchet games plus one called Deadlocked. I also think there are 3 Jak games with a 4th that is a racing game set in that world.

God of War is a good choice and can probably be found cheap and you can pick up the second one when it comes down in price.
Old 08-15-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

for PS2 games

Katamari actually forced me to borrow a PS2 for a couple weeks
Old 08-15-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as PS3 games, check out the downloadable Super Stardust HD and Calling All Cars.
Old 08-15-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
A few off the top of my head:

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Beyond Good & Evil.
Old 08-15-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
God of War 1 & 2, Okami, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus for starters.

Also - Kingdom Hearts. Great environments (and I know you like Disney from your work) and very actiony for an "RPG". Try the first and, if you like it, get the Final Mix of KH2 when it comes out later this year.

Last edited by pinata242; 08-15-07 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Okami. D'uh. I knew there was one I was forgetting. Great suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
Old 08-15-07, 03:23 PM
Banned

I second Mark of Kri. It is a really good game that nobody played (like Beyond Good and Evil). Shadow of Rome is another underrated game. It is a Roman gladiator type of game. There are some stealth missions in the game that really feel out of place, but other than that it is a pretty good game.

Then there are the classics:

God of War 1 and 2
Devil May Cry series
Metal Gear Solid series
Bully
Old 08-15-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Definitely God of War 1 and 2!
Old 08-15-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
..get the Final Mix of KH2 when it comes out later this year.
Was that finally actually confirmed?
Old 08-15-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Frequency, Amplitude, God of War, Ico, Intelligent Qube (PS1 Original only, tough to find for a reasonable price...), Devil May Cry (#1, #3 if you're a masochist)...

Katamari Damacy and Kingdom Hearts never did anything for me (got bored of both really, really quickly). I wasn't a big fan of Jax and Daxter 1 (I finished it, but about half of it felt like chore -- I continued because it was so easy, and thats it), but I hear 2 fixed numerous problems. Ratchet and Clank series is pretty good, not classic but has a lot of fun gameplay mechanics.

Can't really think of many other PS2 exclusive non-RPG, non-sport titles that I really enjoyed. Klonoa 2 was reasonably popular, but good like finding that one.

PS3 games.. well, Resistence isn't bad if you can control FPS games on the dual shock (I can't), and Ninja Gaiden Sigma is good if you haven't played Ninja Gaiden/Black on the Xbox already, otherwise it really isn't worth the upgrade.

Edit: I had a soft spot for Maximo, if only because of its Ghouls n' Ghost ties.
Old 08-15-07, 03:32 PM
Banned

If you want to go as far back as the original Playstation, check out Alundra. It is a great Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past clone. Avoid Alundra 2 however. It sucks. It wasn't even made by the same developer and has nothing to do with the first game other than the name.

Alundra is a 2D sprite game, so the graphics hold up much better than the blocky 3D games the PS1 is known for.
Old 08-15-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah Alundra was cool, but I thought there were compatability issues with that? Or am I thinking Lunar? Anywho, another sidenote on Alundra, it is the spiritual successor to Landstalker, granted you've played that.

Edit: Guess it was neither, with only a minor problem on Lunar: Eternal Blue.
Old 08-15-07, 03:34 PM

I don't know if they are supported( I don't have a PS3), but Jampacks are good way of sampling PS2 games.
Old 08-15-07, 03:35 PM
Banned

I have never heard of Landstalker. My thoughts were always that it looked and played like a 2D Zelda clone.
Old 08-15-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
I have never heard of Landstalker. My thoughts were always that it looked and played like a 2D Zelda clone.
Landstalker was a Zelda clone with an isometric view on the Genesis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landstalker

So yeah, the similarities are countless
Old 08-15-07, 03:40 PM

for ps1 id recomend:
crash bandicoot series
spyro the dragon series
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (love this game)
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Jersey Devil
Metal Gear Solid
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor Underground
Parappa The Rapper
Rayman
Rayman 2: The Great Escape

for ps2 id recomend:
the jak series
sly cooper series
ratchet & clank series
SSX 3 or 4
kingdom hearts
tony hawk 3,4, underground & wasteland
wwe smackdown here comes the pain
wwe smackdown vs. raw 2006
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (one of my favourte ps2 games)
God of War 1,2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 2
hitman trilogy
needforspeed underground 1,2
Medal of Honor Collection

for ps3 id recomend:
virtua fighter 5
resistance: fom
ninja gaiden
Old 08-15-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Was that finally actually confirmed?
I misspoke. Sorry to get your hopes up. I suppose I should have said:

Try the first and, if you like it, get the Final Mix of KH2 if it comes out later this year. By the time he tries and gets through KH, I figure we'll know either way whether or not to expect it (or if he even cares).
Old 08-15-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Awesome. I knew you guys would throw out some great suggestions that weren't, to my knowledge, huge franchises. Looks like a few of them, Intelligent Qube, Allundra & Klonoa 2 fetch a good amount of money.

Klonoa 2 sounds very cool from the IGN review. I will probably check out the Kingdom Hearts franchise, I love Disney. Part of the reason for getting a PS3 was Disney. I can't wait to see Cars in BD. Start with the first KH? Or wait for the remix pinata mentioned? Can the PS3 play Japanese PS1/2 imports?
Old 08-15-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

KH1 comes first, obviously, but KH2 is an all-around better game. The remix was a 2nd version of KH2 and isn't officially confirmed for US release yet.

I.Q. was great. One of the 5 or 6 PS1 games I actually own. I'm surprised there hasn't be an update or rerelease of it. Maybe eventually on PSN?
Old 08-15-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
KH1 comes first, obviously, but KH2 is an all-around better game. The remix was a 2nd version of KH2 and isn't officially confirmed for US release yet.

I.Q. was great. One of the 5 or 6 PS1 games I actually own. I'm surprised there hasn't be an update or rerelease of it. Maybe eventually on PSN?
IQ costs $48 at EB/Gamestop (used, if you can find a store that carriese it) still, it is funny to me, but I love that game (Fetches upward of $80 on ebay). They tried updating it for the PS2 but it flopped badly (and rightfully, it was a terrible update).

Oh and I dutifully add Twisted Metal: Black (TM2 really, but TM:B plays quite well), and Wipeout XL (PSX). Symphony of the Night is fantastic, but I'm assuming if you wanted to play that, you already have (XBLA)

Last edited by RichC2; 08-15-07 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Klonoa 2 sounds very cool from the IGN review. I will probably check out the Kingdom Hearts franchise, I love Disney. Part of the reason for getting a PS3 was Disney. I can't wait to see Cars in BD. Start with the first KH? Or wait for the remix pinata mentioned? Can the PS3 play Japanese PS1/2 imports?
That's why I wanted Blu-Ray.

The remix will be for Kingdom Hearts II, so you'll be good with the first game that's out there now.

There are some copies of Klonoa 2 for around $20 on Amazon right now, some appear complete.
Old 08-15-07, 04:02 PM

PS3 is only good for Blu-ray. No good games for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.