Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Moving Electronic Thermostat Control Box????

bobby1975
08-15-07, 11:19 AM
Any handy Otters who can offer advice are welcome!

I just moved to a new condo and the electronic thermostat (Aprilaire) control box is almost dead center on the wall.

I would like to place furniture on this wall but that would make the control box inaccessible. Is moving the box up a few inches so it is above a piece of furniture "do it yourself" possible??

Please don't suggest moving the furniture instead...I don't want to and would like to move the box permenantly so I am free to rearrange furniture in the future without "blocking the box," so to speak.

wlmowery
08-15-07, 11:26 AM
Is it possible, sure. But a few reminders:

1. Thermostats are placed at a certain height to best reflect the the temperature desired at that height. Remember heat rises, so placing the thermostat too high may result in poor performance (though for most the variation of heat from normal to a slightly higher location will be minimal).

2. You will need to rerun wiring for the relocation. (If you are not comfortable dealing with electricity and electrical wiring, have the move done by a professional. In some locations, self-handling such items may void insurance if done improperly and the wiring error is shown as the root cause of an otherwise insurable loss).

3. You will need to repair/repaint the now vacant spot on the wall where the thermostat used to reside.

Provided you have general home-fix-it ability, you should be able to move the thermostat.

Timber
08-15-07, 11:51 AM
You might have enough slack in the wire to move it up. If you want to move is to the side you'll need to rerun it and drill through some studs. If it's and electronic thermostat I'm assuming it's going to be low voltage wiring so it shouldn't be that difficult or particularly dangerous.

bobby1975
08-15-07, 12:42 PM
I will be moving the thermostat up only a few inches. If there is enough slack do I just drill into the wall, unhook the wires and then rehook them?

grenier
08-15-07, 12:47 PM
There should be enough slack but you won't know until you pull it off the wall. How old is the condo?

TGM
08-15-07, 12:53 PM
it is very easy... remove the existing wire that goes to the box, buy some thermostat wire, splice the two ends together, move existing box, voila. You don't have to even shut off the power, the voltage is so minimal, you won't get shocked.

mndtrp
08-15-07, 01:27 PM
What makes thermostat wire different than other wire? Obviously there are differences between each kind of wire, with different uses for each, but what makes it different from other electrical wire, for example?

bobby1975
08-15-07, 01:35 PM
The condo was built in 1947. The box looks fairly new.

grenier
08-15-07, 01:35 PM
What makes thermostat wire different than other wire? Obviously there are differences between each kind of wire, with different uses for each, but what makes it different from other electrical wire, for example?

I'm pretty sure it's just the gauge of the wire that makes it different.

Timber
08-15-07, 01:39 PM

It'll just have the 6(?) wires colored (won't really be much help for a 1947 condo) and in a conduit together.