Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 4" (8/15-8/16/07)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Brief recap of rumors from taping for Wed:
Spoiler:

solos:
1. Lacey
2. Neil
3. Danny
4. Sabra

Dan Karaty - third judge

Sabra-Neil: Hip-Hop, Shane Sparks.
Lacey-Danny: Viennese Waltz, Jean Marc.
Danny-Neil: Contemporary, Mia Michaels.
Sabra-Lacey: Jazz, Wade Robson.
Lacey-Neil: Lindy Hop, ?
Sabra-Danny: Cha-Cha, Melanie - danced with Pasha.

Music guest: Ryan Cabrera

I read people said that the judges were rudely laughing at the girls' dance. If neither girl win, I think I'll have to blame Wade for that. We'll see.

If Danny pulls off the last dance well, I think he will win unless Lacey handles her last dance better.
Old 08-15-07, 08:34 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
A weird occurrence happened ratings-wise last week. SYTYCD dropped out of the Top 10 last week:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

Normally, it's #2 or #3 right behind "America's Got Talent."

Weird... did folks stop watching after the Dominic and Sara got booted?!

... anyways, bring on tonight!
Old 08-15-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can not can not can not wait to see Neil and Danny dance together. (this is not a spoiler...they always have a guy/guy ...girl/girl dance) The technique in that dance can go through the roof and the tricks can be amazing! Lacey on the other hand does not have the technique up to Sabra's level so I'm not expecting that kind of dance, but I'm sure it will be entertaining. Neil has really grown in my mind, and I think they are all deserving. I'm hoping Lacey doesnt win..she plataued for me and didnt grow or change in her dance at all.
Spoiler:
I heard the judges asked the audience to consider a female winner this year...!
Old 08-15-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If we go purely on technique and disregard sex I think it is Danny’s competition to lose.

However, I will continue to hope for Sabra to win as she had been the most consistent and truly is the total package.
Old 08-15-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Danny, Neil, and Sabra all deserve to win.

Danny easily had the best solo tonight.

I wasn't really happy with most of tonight's dances.

Group dance was so-so.

The fox dance was bad but still cute.

The king dance, of course, was awesome.

Hip-hop was better than expected.

I had very high expectations for the cha-cha but was a bit disappointed.
Old 08-15-07, 10:19 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last week's routines should have been in the finale in place of these ones, in my opinion. Last week we had some amazing routines and this week it mostly left me flat. The hip hop one didn't work for me... too dull for this stage of the contest. The fox thing was interesting but not really exciting in any way. The two princes dance was a cool idea but I thought they could have done more to blend the fight chereography and the dance moves... it felt a bit 'throw punches, do a flip'. The waltz was pretty, I enjoyed it even though I don't normally like that thing. Lindy hop was kind of fun, but didn't grab me like a good swing routine would have. And the cha cha was sexy but uneven.
Old 08-15-07, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
Last week's routines should have been in the finale in place of these ones, in my opinion. Last week we had some amazing routines and this week it mostly left me flat. The hip hop one didn't work for me... too dull for this stage of the contest. The fox thing was interesting but not really exciting in any way. The two princes dance was a cool idea but I thought they could have done more to blend the fight chereography and the dance moves... it felt a bit 'throw punches, do a flip'. The waltz was pretty, I enjoyed it even though I don't normally like that thing. Lindy hop was kind of fun, but didn't grab me like a good swing routine would have. And the cha cha was sexy but uneven.
Agree 100%. I was so looking forward to the guys routine, and while I thought it was really cool, I much rather have seen them dance more. Last weeks dances were amazing, and last years was 100 times better than this, especially "Sexy Back". That hasnt been topped IMO. I think it was unfair for Nigel to ask for a girl to win. That being said, I do think Sabra deserves it, and any of them except Lacy, I will be happy with.
Old 08-15-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went in thinking I would vote for Sabra, but I ended up throwing caution to the wind and voting for Danny. I think he stole the night away. (Which is odd, seeing as I *really* disliked him half the season.) All of his routines were good, and his solo really set him apart. It's like he was the only one who had an extra gear to kick it into for the big finale. The others seemed like it was just... any other week on the show. It was....odd.

I LOVED the Princes routine. ADORED it. I thought it was perfect for them. I have watched it about 25 times and downloaded the song already. Mia did them both right by really showing them off. She clearly did that for them and not herself. I wish Wade had done the same thing with the girls. I enjoyed that routine, but it likely did nothing to get them any new votes.

PS Neil only doesnt look like a dork when he is in some Prince/Pirate looking get up. It's a shame he was born to late too be in Adam and the Ants.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-15-07 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts
I think the problem was trying to cram too many dances into one show. In a "normal" week they have very little time to work on one number , and tonight they had five each (including the group number). A lot of tonight's dances would have been much better (in particular The Cha-Cha and The Lindy) if they had more time to polish them...
Old 08-15-07, 11:23 PM

Meh, not as good as last seasons finale. But, Danny was phenomenal. Voting for him as we speak.
Old 08-16-07, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for Danny as well. His solo was by far the best of the season. They guy looked like Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire all rolled into one out there. Amazing stuff!!

I think either he or Sabra will win

PS What happened to that new reality show "Anchorwoman"?? Wasn't it suppose to start yesterday??

Cheers!

Last edited by shanester; 08-16-07 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is Lacey the best dancer? No. Is she my FAVOURITE dancer? YES. If I could vote (Canadians can't vote) I'd be calling in for her - she is awesome and fun. A girl needs to win this year IMO. Danny is very good, but I still don't like HIM. No personality.
Old 08-16-07, 01:24 PM

Lacey seems nice and all but good lord does she have to play little miss sex kitten all the g'damn time. If she wins, ughghg. Danny does not have an over the top personality, thank god, but he's not boring either. I happen to like him a lot. It would be nice for a girl to win, but I don't think Lacey or Sabra should win over Danny. Danny is the shit.
Old 08-16-07, 02:39 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by mazzystar
Lacey seems nice and all but good lord does she have to play little miss sex kitten all the g'damn time.
Well, if Danny wins, he should thank Lacey, because before their first couples routine together, he was sleepwalking during his performances, but with Lacey, he definitely had fire in his eyes.
Old 08-16-07, 09:22 PM

Show's over... but I won't spoil it yet, I'll let someone else do that.

I was happy to hear that the alternates for the SYTYCD Tour will be Anya, Jaimie, Jesus, and Hok. So there's a chance that I'll get to see the "Hummingbird" and "Belleville Bums" dances.

This was a great season. Great talent all around.

The only thing that I felt gipped by was Cat and Nigel's dance.

We'll talk about it more once y'all start chyming in.

Oh, who am I kidding... the winner of Season 3 is...

Spoiler:
Sabra!
Old 08-16-07, 09:25 PM

Here's the DIY JibJab dance page: http://www.jibjab.com/starring_you

If you watched the show, you know what I'm talking about!
Old 08-16-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lots to comment on tonight.

I was SO happy that they did the Mia Michaels contemporary group dance again. It's still my favorite.

Cat's dress was pretty bad.

Yay to getting the samba and wc swing again.

Double yay for Anya, Jesus, and Hok.

Triple yay for Sara getting three pair dances.

Nige-Cat dance - what can I say?

I still think that both Neil and Danny are better dancers than Sabra but I'm still happy for her. Still proud of Danny for making it this far - I still think he's the best.

Did Heidi attend?
Old 08-16-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Um, the timing on this thing was brutal...they announced the winner and then BAM, over. We didn't even get a comment from Sabra, let alone a montage of moments for Danny and her... total BS IMO. They should have cut one of the musical performances and the Nigel-Cat dance abortion so that we could have had a bit of a postmortem - I mean, we didn't even really get to see Sabra's face after she won...just confetti and then end credits... weak.
Old 08-16-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My power went out the last 12 minutes of the show. I am downloading the rest of it now. My heart broke. Just too cruel.

I really liked all the kids, even Lacey, and would've been happy with anyone. I didn't realize it until I was SO sad when Neil and Lacey *did not* get it. I wanted them all to win. Being fair though, I thought Danny should've probably won on last night's performances, but Sabra was the most consistent so I cannot complain.

I am SO happy Hok is an alternate, after they screwed over Musa last year. I would love to see him dance. I surely want to see the tour this year. It should be great.

PS Why they did that Cat/Nigel thing beats me. It was the only thing I hated. Well, that and the pussycat doll.
Old 08-17-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great to see Sabra win, but I don't think I would have been disappointed if it had been Danny.

I really wonder just how much the comment Nigel made about seeing a girl win helped sway the votes. I suppose we never will know.
Old 08-17-07, 10:06 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by onebyone
I surely want to see the tour this year. It should be great.
My wife is interested in seeing the tour, but I was surprised to see them book the United Center (capacity > 20,000) rather than book a personal venue better for dancing like maybe the Rosemont Theater (capacity 4300).

If a show like American Idol can't sell out most of their shows, how is a show like SYTYCD expect to sell out similar sized stadiums? They should choose smaller venues, and if needed add a second show in a few of the bigger cities.
Old 08-17-07, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Um, the timing on this thing was brutal...they announced the winner and then BAM, over. We didn't even get a comment from Sabra, let alone a montage of moments for Danny and her... total BS IMO. They should have cut one of the musical performances and the Nigel-Cat dance abortion so that we could have had a bit of a postmortem - I mean, we didn't even really get to see Sabra's face after she won...just confetti and then end credits... weak.
The show ran over, but only by a minute or two. It sounds like you were watching a dvr that missed the overage?
You're right, we didn't get a montage for Danny or Sabre. However, we did get a minute of the top 20 carrying Sabre around on their shoulders, while she repeated "Oh my God" a few times!
I agree with your idea about cutting our the Nigel-Cat dance and/or the Pussycat dolls in favor of more of the winner/Top Four. As much as I disliked the JibJab dance number, I felt like the Pussycat number was even more out of place. I don't want to see any professional dancers on the finale, unless they are partnering with the amateurs!
Old 08-17-07, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was fine with anyone but Lacey - Congrats to Sabre.
Old 08-17-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Isn't Dancing with the Stars supposed to start next month? Wonder why I haven't heard rumors of the participants yet. The only name I've heard is Floyd Mayweather Jr. (boxer)
Old 08-18-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
I was fine with anyone but Lacey - Congrats to Sabre.

It's Sabra not Sabre. She dances like a tiger but she's actually human

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.