Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got the Batman: The Animated Series...where to start?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-13-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came into Batman: TAS set, and it's a lot to wade through. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a few storylines to watch or stand-out episodes within the series.

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-13-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
start from the beginning.
it is a good way to see just how the show progressed as the years went along.

i cant think of any eps to say take a look at but someone will eventually.
Old 08-13-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not much continuity in that series. For the most part, you can watch them out of order and not really miss anything.
Old 08-14-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
start from the beginning.
it is a good way to see just how the show progressed as the years went along.

i cant think of any eps to say take a look at but someone will eventually.
Ditto. Go from start to finish. There aren't that many sub-storylines that you can jump from episode to episode to follow. Most are stand-alone eps with, at most, fleeting glimpses of past or future storylines.

My opinion: watch Season 1 through the episode "The Worry Men" in Season 2. Then watch the feature film "Mask of the Phantasm," as it was the next to be released. It doesn't have an overarching storyline that ties directly into any specific episodes, but is a great time to watch it in the timeline of the story.

See this site for episode listing: http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/BTAS#Season_1 ordered by main villain, if you want to hit all of the Joker episodes, for instance. That also may be fun.
Old 08-14-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, from beginning to end is the way to watch it.

Once you're done with that...do yourself a favor and pick up Justice League.
Old 08-14-07, 11:08 AM

+1 on Justice League.
Best super hero animated series EVER.
Old 08-14-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Superman: TAS ties directly into Justice League more than Batman:TAS because of the Darkseid plots. Watch Batman - Superman - Justice League in that order.
Old 08-14-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
For some JL episodes, you'd kinda need some background on Batman Beyond and maybe Static Shock. Not entirely necessary, but it helps.
Old 08-14-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Superman: TAS ties directly into Justice League more than Batman:TAS because of the Darkseid plots. Watch Batman - Superman - Justice League in that order.
Well, that's true...but while Supes is very good I rank his show a notch below Bats & JL...well, listen to this man...watch Supes in between. You'll have all the background info as stuff developes.
Old 08-14-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
I asked this following question in a Batman: TAS thread on the dvdtalk forum and got no response. Anyone here?

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Got another quick question: Is there a list for Batman: TAS (as well as Superman: TAS and Justice League) of the stand-alone movies or episodes that were not included in the season sets?

The reason I ask this is I want to get all the releases (original movies or specials) without duplicating myself and Warner did a lot of releasing compilation episodes before the season sets became the thing. They name most of these releases like a movie title and if you don't know any better you can find yourself with extra episodes that you already have.
Thanks.
Old 08-14-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadpool
Well, that's true...but while Supes is very good I rank his show a notch below Bats & JL...well, listen to this man...watch Supes in between. You'll have all the background info as stuff developes.
I like both shows fairly equal, but Batman had the longer run. I was thinking about fujishig's suggestion of SS and BBeyond before I posted earlier as well. That is hit or miss in my opinion. The Justice League crossover episodes actually got me interested in seeing these two shows.

Superman:TAS should be watched before Justice League simpy for the 3 part World's Finest episodes with Batman/Superman and the introduction to Darkseid into the DCAU.
Old 08-14-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I asked this following question in a Batman: TAS thread on the dvdtalk forum and got no response. Anyone here?
Thanks.
The first two season or so of Justice League were mainly comprised of 2&3 parters and whatnot so it doesn't surprise me WB released some of the season episodes on dvd individually. The Batman/Superman movie and JL dvds are all contained in the season sets.

Here is what you need from the Batman/Superman universe.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (Uncut Version!)

Superman:Braniac Attacks (This is an oddity as the director confirmed it isn't based in the same DCAU (DC animated universe) continuity, yet they decided to keep most of the character designs and voices, save a few, exactly the same.) It's a toss up if you want to watch it or not but I felt it was similiar enough to the series. Many fans hate this film though.

The upcoming Superman: Doomsday, Teen Titans, and Justice League animated films are also not part of the same DCAU continuity either.
Old 08-14-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by reubs82
I just came into Batman: TAS set, and it's a lot to wade through. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a few storylines to watch or stand-out episodes within the series.

Thanks for any info.
Are you saying you have the entire series or just the 1st set of 4 discs? Like others have said, Batman doesn't have the ongoing storylines like Superman or Justice League so you can skip around a lot without much trouble.

It's been a long time since I've watched any Batman, but looking over the titles of the 4 discs in the 1st set, I'd recommend:

Heart Of Ice
Beware The Grey Ghost
On Leather Wings

...as tops, with:

Pretty Poison
P.O.V.
Two-Face
Clock King
Feat Of Clay

...not far behind.

I can't remember which Joker stories are best, but they're worth sampling if only for Mark Hamill's performance.

The Underdwellers, I've Got Batman In My Basement, & See No Evil could be skipped.

If you're talking about the entire series, well, that would be a different answer...
Old 08-16-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, sorry. I'm talking about the entire series. Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.
Old 08-16-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heart of Ice is an awesome episode. Christmas with the Joker and The Gray Ghost are pretty good as well.
Old 08-17-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely watch The Gray Ghost. Adam West is great in his guest turn.
Old 08-17-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You should also watch Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. It sort of ties into TAS and I think is one of the best animated Batman movies. Make sure you get the unrated version.

My favorites are the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil and Frank Miller adaptations.
Old 08-17-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

return of the joker is part of the batman beyond series.
the batman beyond series is essentially a future version That includes the batman from the TAS.
Old 08-17-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I enjoyed a lot of the Batman episodes when it moved to WB Kids, some of my favorites from the move are:

"Over the Edge"
"Old Wounds"
"Legends of the Dark Knight"
"Mad Love"
Old 08-18-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
I went thru Amazon and culled together a quick list of original Batman animated movies (new and old) to complete the collection if you get all the season sets.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman Vs. Dracula
Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker (Uncut Version)
Scooby-Doo Meets Batman (these episodes are also on the Scooby-Doo movies boxset)

Other original DC animated series that aren't normal episodes of the TV series:
Superman - Doomsday
Superman: Brainiac Attacks
Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo

Any others I am overlooking?
Old 08-18-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was going to make a thread but I will if no one sees this and answers me. I was wondering where does the Batman Beyond Return of the Joker movie fall into the series?

I just finished all 4 TAS sets and finsihed the batman movies. But now I got all the Beyonds and I wonder when I should watch the movie... Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-18-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well more specific.

i would watch it anytime during the first season.
Old 08-18-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Any others I am overlooking?
Justice League: New Frontier

of course not out until early next year
Old 08-18-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The World's Finest site is a great place to get just about any info you need on all of the DC animated shows. There are epsiode guides, reviews, interviews and other goodies. Just click on the links at the top of the page to find info on the individual shows.
Old 08-20-07, 09:33 AM

batman the animated series was amazing. great pick up! enjoy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.