Direct TV HD install questions

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-13-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If this is in wrong forum, I apologize.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I recently moved into an in-law apt in a relatives house. They have regular Direct TV installed on the 2 upper floors of the house (in-law is in converted basement). I am getting HD upgrade for apt but since there isn't a phone line, I could only order the normal HD receiver, not a dvr which is ok, but when I got the order confirmation, one of the conditions at the bottom of order says I need to keep receiver hooked up to a phone line in order to meet guidelines and commitment requirements...I thought that was just for a dvr?
Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

I tried asking on the direct tv forum, but no response 3 days later and they are coming Sunday. I also tried calling, but after 10 minutes on hold, I had to get back to work.

One other question, since one of the lines coming into the house goes through the "back" cellar and up through the floor, can they just split that cable, or will they need to run a whole new line into the house?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never had any of my receivers (DVR or not) hooked up to a phoneline.

It's a stupid requirement, but at least DirecTV doesn't charge you $5 a month like Dish does if it's not hooked up.
Old 08-13-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,261 Likes on 724 Posts
You don't need to have the phone line hooked up. We have a directv Tivo that says it must be hooked up and we've gone over a year without hooking it up. However if you want regular updates it might be a good idea to connect it once in a while. It also is how you get charged for the PPV movies you watch.

When I have my HD set up they had to run a new line to the box.
Old 08-13-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
However if you want regular updates it might be a good idea to connect it once in a while.
Another good point. Software updates on the DVR download from the satellite, but a phonecall is needed to "activate" them.
Old 08-13-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool thanks...I could run a long phone cable upstairs every once and awhile to get updates, just cant keep one on permanently.
Old 08-13-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When you say "HD upgrade", do you mean that you're replacing a standard receiver with an HD receiver? If so, you will use the existing line. Otherwise, if you are adding a new HD receiver (where there was no receiver previously), then obviously you'll need to run a new line, or if you are adding a recorder, you will WANT to run a new line (the recorders have 2 tuners, both of which need their own line, so you could choose to use just one of the two tuners, but that would be a waste of the recorder's capability!).

How many receivers do they currently have (prior to adding your receiver)? You'll want to make sure that you're not exceeding the number of outputs on their multi-switch. Chances are it is either a 4 or an 8 switch multi-switch. If they currently have 4 receivers, check to see if they need a bigger multi-switch. DTV should have done this before scheduling the appt., but they're not always receiving the strongest signal, if you know what I mean.

They also won't fish lines through walls, you'll have to do it yourself. If they're coming straight in from outside, they'll drill the hole, but if it is an interior wall, you're on your own. You might want to take care of that in advance, and while you're at it, see if there are any other rooms the relatives want done, it's not that difficult or bad when you do it,
Old 08-13-07, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need a phone line for the HD DVR either. It gets updates from the feed.
Old 08-13-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And you can order the DVR without a phone line. I was never asked when I ordered, and when I asked my installer, he said DirecTV just prefers it so that they can get more information.

I'd call back, and tell them you want a DVR.
Old 08-13-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there are 2 receivers, currently, this HD will be brand new line. One on the second floor that goes into house about 5 feet from where the dish is now...then a long cable runs down the side of house to the basement where it comes into a "back" cellar area that is basically storage for the in-law, then up through the ceiling and floor of 1st floor.

I am hoping they can use the line coming into the basement and split it inside rather than having to drill another hole and running another line right next to the other one as they basically will be going to same place, only difference is instead of going through the ceiling into the room upstairs, it will run into the finished room via an already drilled hole that was for a roof mounted antennae 20 years ago.
Old 08-13-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,261 Likes on 724 Posts
Since your not getting a DVR they can probably use your existing line. If you were getting a DVR (Which I have no idea why you wouldn't get it - trust me you don't need a phone hooked up to it) then they would probably have to run a second line for the 2nd tuner.
Old 08-13-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well one reason is the dvr is $200 while the non dvr is free, the other is to avoid the very issue of the 2 lines. It will cause a problem for me if they have to drill another hole into my relatives house. I told them it wouldnt have to be done. They are old school and dont like wires and cables coming into the house, they think it takes value away from the house.
Old 08-14-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugh, actually got some responses on the Direct TV board and while I dont need a phone line as many have said here, the line coming into the house cant be split like a cable line can...each receiver/tuner needs its own separate line going from the dish to the receiver...good thing i asked, now i have time to cancel.

I confirmed last night with the owners of the house, they said absolutely no way will more holes be drilled or anymore wires will be coming into the house.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!
Old 08-14-07, 12:03 PM

FYI, just got a letter today stating that they will add more HD programming. BUT, the HD DVR will require 2 lines w/ the B-Band converter.

Sh!t, most homes don't have wiring for 2 coax into one location!!! Any way around this? I'll check DTV boards.
Old 08-14-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Originally Posted by ktan1
FYI, just got a letter today stating that they will add more HD programming. BUT, the HD DVR will require 2 lines w/ the B-Band converter.

Sh!t, most homes don't have wiring for 2 coax into one location!!! Any way around this? I'll check DTV boards.

Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM).

Call DirecTV and see if they are available in your area yet. This will allow you to have only one coax feed into your room, but split the signal for both inputs on the machine. IIRC, it only works on the new HD DVR (DirecTV branded one).
Old 08-14-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Ugh, actually got some responses on the Direct TV board and while I dont need a phone line as many have said here, the line coming into the house cant be split like a cable line can...each receiver/tuner needs its own separate line going from the dish to the receiver...good thing i asked, now i have time to cancel.

I confirmed last night with the owners of the house, they said absolutely no way will more holes be drilled or anymore wires will be coming into the house.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!
Call up DirecTV and see if Single Wire Multiswitches are available yet in your area. Will allow you do what you want, without drilling more holes and adding more coax.
Old 08-14-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What forums can I read about these HD options? I'm finally in a position to go HD and need to get all the facts straight before I call DTV. I don't want a rep giving me something I don't want or need.
Old 08-14-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Unclejosh: Also, a wireless phone jack is a good option.

Deadpool: I'd go here: DBS
The HR20 is DTV's main HD-DVR (I have it) and there's a ton of info. out there.
Old 08-14-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deadpool
What forums can I read about these HD options? I'm finally in a position to go HD and need to get all the facts straight before I call DTV. I don't want a rep giving me something I don't want or need.

There are only two options.

HD Receiver
HD DVR

If you want the ability to record shows, you'll need to go with the HD DVR. Outside of that, you won't get anything you won't need.
Old 08-14-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

uteotw & Deftones - Thanks.

The reason for the don't want what I don't need comment is I have a single lnb dish. Since I want a HD DVR I know I'm going to have to upgrade that and maybe run another line. So I want to read up on this switch and hope that maybe I can get a deal/price break some kind of way I've often read about people getting discounts/etc.
Old 08-14-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am gonna try and reschedule the install for time when no one will be there but me and make sure the tech is professional and can make it look good before i have him drill if necessay. I dont think they would even notice it after the fact. Hell I am actually in the will to receive part ownership anyway.

Usually the upgrade to the dish is free and depending on your account status their are deals on the actual receiver. Last month they wanted $99 bucks for the HD receiver and $299 for HD DVR, now it is free for HD and $199 for HD DVR with free dish upgrade and install on our account.

Last edited by Unclejosh; 08-14-07 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am gonna try and reschedule the install for time when no one will be there but me and make sure the tech is professional and can make it look good before i have him drill if necessay. I dont think they would even notice it after the fact. Hell I am actually in the will to receive part ownership anyway.

Usually the upgrade to the dish is free and depending on your account status their are deals on the actual receiver. Last month they wanted $99 bucks for the HD receiver and $299 for HD DVR, now it is free for HD and $199 for HD DVR with free dish upgrade and install on our account.
Until they find out you drilled the hole in the wall j/k

Thanks for the info. I'll call them and see what they can do for me.
Old 08-19-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I got approval to add the line, but the tech showed up 2 hours past the later time of the window...was supposed to be here between 8-12, then climbed on roof and said there was no line of site and whoever installed the regular dish put it in wrong spot. While I have no clue if that is true, what I do know is there has been direct TV in this house for going on 4 years now with zero problems with reception. Maybe during a heavy rainstorm in the summer but were talking 2 times in 4 years.
I have a feeling he just didn't want to do the work that late in day. There are trees, leafy trees not pines or firs or anything, but no reception problems for the regular service. So now I have no TV at all as cable is not an option. This sux.
Old 08-19-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The installer may not have been lying. If there is one of the old small round 2 lnb dishes there now, line of sight for that is different than for anything from the 3 lnb phase III dishes and up, including the new 5 lnb one you will be getting installed.

It will still be in the same general direction, but it might be off just enough to where the trees are right in the way. The new dish has to pull in a signal from several satellites.

Last edited by SexualPudding; 08-19-07 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
The installer may not have been lying. If there is one of the old small round 2 lnb dishes there now, line of sight for that is different than for anything from the 3 lnb phase III dishes and up, including the new 5 lnb one you will be getting installed.

It will still be in the same general direction, but it might be off just enough to where the trees are right in the way. The new dish has to pull in a signal from several satellites.

Yeah i talked with customer service and they explained that. The installer didnt though. he just said "theres nothing i can do the trees are 2 close" and then took off. They asked if i wanted another tech to come out for a second opinion, but after hearing about the different line of site issues i dont see the point.
Old 08-20-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I got approval to add the line, but the tech showed up 2 hours past the later time of the window...was supposed to be here between 8-12, then climbed on roof and said there was no line of site and whoever installed the regular dish put it in wrong spot. While I have no clue if that is true, what I do know is there has been direct TV in this house for going on 4 years now with zero problems with reception. Maybe during a heavy rainstorm in the summer but were talking 2 times in 4 years.
I have a feeling he just didn't want to do the work that late in day. There are trees, leafy trees not pines or firs or anything, but no reception problems for the regular service. So now I have no TV at all as cable is not an option. This sux.
FYI - the exact SAME thing happened to me about 8 years ago on a summer Friday afternoon at my urban townhouse. I called DirecTV to complain, and they sent another tech out the next Tuesday. He looked at it and said there was no problem with line of sight, and it didn't need to be installed on the roof (previous guy said it would have to go on the roof for line of sight, and he couldn't do that because drilling into the metal roof could cause leaks and they're not insured to do that). The second guy asked if the previous tech had showed up after 3 on a Friday... he had. He was like - he billed DirecTV for a full afternoon's installation and got an early start on his weekend.

The reception issue you're discribing is normal when bad weather happens. I'd call DirecTV back. Now as for the whole living in you're relatives' basement - well "Uncle" Josh, THAT is just a whole nother kettle of creepy fish!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.