Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate SG-1: Awesome or Mediocre?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stargate SG-1: Awesome or Mediocre?

The simple question I ask is if this show is worth buying?

I've never seen a single episode, however, I am a big fan of "good" sci-fi (Firefly, Farscape, TNG, BSG). On the other hand, I was not a too huge fan of shows like Babylon 5 or Andromeda. Is this something that I would like?

I'm not a huge fan of Richard Dean Anderson (never really liked Maguyver), so is it him most of the time?

The main reason I got possibly interested in this show is that I heard that Ben Browder and Claudia Black were in it. Do they play a large enough part on the show?

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-13-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Browder and Black are not in the series until the last few seasons. Browder replaced Richard Dean Anderson. IMO, the series lost a lot when RDA left and I really missed his snarky comments.

I always liked Stargate, it's nothing overly special but it was entertaining.

A fan of "good" sci-fi and didn't like B5? You must not of gotten very far into it then.
Old 08-13-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ben and Claudia are great, but don't expect Farscape-style performances when they join SG-1. It's probably somewhere between mediocre and awesome. It won't grab hold of your heart and refuse to let go like Farscape or B5, and it's not one of those trailblazing series that changes the face of science fiction television, but it doesn't suck either. It's just a nice entertaining show.

das
Old 08-13-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love it. And I love Farscape, but didn't like B5 (and yes I watched most of it).

That said, I'm not sure if it is "good sci fi". I would agree with Das saying it is just a nice entertaining show. It's almost a guilty pleasure for me, especially the later seasons, but it does touch on some great themes, and has a good mix of action and humor as well.
Old 08-13-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Personally I think SG-1 was at it's best season 4-7. However, I received spades of pleasure in seasons 8-10 with the small things. It was the small mannerisms and character interactions (that relied on 7 years of build-up) that were rewarding. There were so many small moments I found enjoyable and funny in the later seasons. Either way, I would say yes it's worth your while - maybe rent the first few and then decide if you want to buy? Complete series box is due out soon.

Also, I liked TNG, DS9, Ent, B5, Firefly, etc. and disliked Farscape. I even tried Farscape twice, but it couldn't hold my attention. I think I made it half way through season 2 the second time through, wereas I may have only made it through 3/4 of season 1 the first time through.
Old 08-13-07, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001
The simple question I ask is if this show is worth buying?

I've never seen a single episode, however, I am a big fan of "good" sci-fi (Firefly, Farscape, TNG, BSG). On the other hand, I was not a too huge fan of shows like Babylon 5 or Andromeda. Is this something that I would like?
Of the shows you like, it's most like TNG (which I assume is star trek the next generation). It's mostly stand alone episodes, and it's military based.
Over time it developes a good mythology. There are some longer term story lines (major villians, or things they have to find) that are started, revisited occasionally, and completed, so nothing really feels dragged out.
The cast is what really makes the show. There's no heavy drama, but their interactions, and quirks make them likeable.

I just started picking up the DVD's less than a year ago, and am currently on season 8. While the show hasn't really blown me away like the best episodes of Farscape or B5, it's very rarely been bad (only one episode was hard to watch). It's just a very dependably entertaining show.

The show goes on sale frequently (and will certainly do so again when the complete series is released) I got the first season for $15, and I'd recommend waiting for a similar price and trying it out.
Old 08-13-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SG-1 is awesome in spite of not being a top tier show. It's lite scifi, but good just the same. While I wouldn't put it next to Farscape and B5 (or even Firefly), the show is definitely worth your time. While I would say FS and B5 are good "hard" scifi, SG-1 has more in-line with pulpy, action adventure, scifi shows.

Even if you didn't like RDA in McGuyver, he might win you over in SG-1. His character is pretty great, and that is one thing about the show that is really quality -- the characters. While they may not be deep, the team dynamic is fun to watch as it evolves.

While the show may not bowl you over like B5 or Farscape could with drama, it is likely you'll have a good time with it. There are some really great "comedy" episodes that I adore. Especially the one that takes its cues from Groundhog's Day. Also, some of the more dramatic episodes really deliver the goods. And a lot of the ideas behind the episodes, the hooks, are really neat.
Old 08-13-07, 04:06 PM

When I started watching Stargate, it was syndicated late nights on the weekends where I lived - at first I thought it was B-level SF, but I gradually fell in love with it.

It is definitely a show where you have to watch more than one episode to get hooked.

And I don't like Richard Dean Anderson much either, but there are three other main characters - I love Carter and Daniel myself.

I started watching about halfway through season 2 - which is a good place to start. Season one didn't start off very well.
Old 08-13-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I probably be the only one who thinks SG-1 is horrible show. SG-1 is like b-movie of TNG/DS9/Voyager.

If you have seen the movie Stargate, you probably feel bothered by Richard Dean Anderson's character (comparing movie's O'Neil is more badass military to TV's O'Neil being weakass with bad joke lines).
Old 08-13-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Stargate SG-1 is probably my favorite sci-fi show behind DS9. It's the longest running sci-fi in the US, it was cancelled earlier this year although there will at least be 2 dvd movies released next year. It has a spin-off (Stargate Atlantis) that's about to begin it's 4th season, and there already planning a 2nd spinoff (Stargate Universe). The fact that it's been around so long when most sci-fi shows have much shorter lives they must be doing something right. If I were I would try to catch some episodes on the SCI-FI channel ,it's on every weekday, and see how you like it before you buy it.
Old 08-13-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Even if you didn't like RDA in McGuyver, he might win you over in SG-1. His character is pretty great, and that is one thing about the show that is really quality -- the characters. While they may not be deep, the team dynamic is fun to watch as it evolves.
"My depth is immaterial to this conversation." Sorry, you said deep and it reminded me of that!

Originally Posted by boredsilly
While the show may not bowl you over like B5 or Farscape could with drama, it is likely you'll have a good time with it. There are some really great "comedy" episodes that I adore. Especially the one that takes its cues from Groundhog's Day. Also, some of the more dramatic episodes really deliver the goods. And a lot of the ideas behind the episodes, the hooks, are really neat.
Hah! One of my favorite scenes from the show is when they are having some fun with the gate.
Old 08-13-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
A fan of "good" sci-fi and didn't like B5? You must not of gotten very far into it then.
I'm probably not impartial, since I stopped watching it at the end of season 3, since I didn't have the rest of the sets. Now that I think about it, it really started to get good around season 3.

I have all the sets now, so I may have to restart it from season 3.
Old 08-13-07, 06:28 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I like it a lot. It's got a good, consistent mythology; the characters are realistic; and the storylines are interesting. I also like the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously -- every now and then, it will make a joke at its own expense (but never in a way that is untrue to the show or breaks you out of what you're watching).
Old 08-13-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chase3001
I'm probably not impartial, since I stopped watching it at the end of season 3, since I didn't have the rest of the sets. Now that I think about it, it really started to get good around season 3.

I have all the sets now, so I may have to restart it from season 3.

How on earth could you stop at the end of Season 3??? I immediately went out and bought Season 4 on the spot!
Old 08-13-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The show didn't even hit its stride until after season 3.

However, you may want to skip the season that the first major character goes away (don't know how to spoilerize, so I won't give anything away, but when you see Parker Lewis do yourself a favor and skip ahead).

I really liked this series, most of it was good. However, there were a few mediocre episodes here and there.
Old 08-13-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
I think I made it half way through season 2 the second time through, wereas I may have only made it through 3/4 of season 1 the first time through.
People always seem to stop just before things kick into gear. The end of season 2 and later of Farscape is went starts really picking up.
Old 08-15-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I think the part of the problem of Stargate as coming off as 'lite' sci-fi is the fact that they don't take themselves too serious. Don't take that wrong, the show has a serious tone, but they definitely reign it in. I think it has more to do with the fact that every other show mentioned in this thread takes themselves too serious and you have a big divide that segregates viewers.

The charm of SG-1 is the team dynamic, something that is sorely missing in Atlantis(well I'm still only early in S2, thus far). Like mentioned there really are tiny character moments & mannerisms that just click even without any dialog. The cast was amazing.

If you plan on starting, beware that season one is rough. Real rough. It's good that Showtime greenlit 40 episodes out of the gate(pun intended) because I doubt the show would have survived on its first 20.

Originally Posted by dan30oly
However, you may want to skip the season that the first major character goes away (don't know how to spoilerize, so I won't give anything away, but when you see Parker Lewis do yourself a favor and skip ahead).
That is season six, IIRC. I strongly disagree with you there. Just when the show was getting stale and repetitive that shake up helped rejuvenate things and we got some fresher stories from it. Same when RDA left. Just when things were getting stale again, his departure helped usher in some change and we got Browder, Black, Bridges the storyline with the Ori which I enjoyed.

And in specific regard to Corin Nemic, I thoroughly enjoyed that character and hoped he would return at some point, possibly to Atlantis.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-15-07 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-15-07, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
*Don't know how to spoilerize, so I just deleted. Sorry.

Last edited by dan30oly; 08-15-07 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-15-07, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Okay, maybe I'm a bit biased. Daniel was my second favorite character just below Jack and Corin Nemic didn't impress me at all (and, yes I will admit to watching and enjoying Parker Lewis Can't Lose...just keep in mind that I was 14 or 15 when that show aired).

Spoiler that in your post as well please.
Old 08-15-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Okay, maybe I'm a bit biased. Daniel was my second favorite character just below Jack and Corin Nemic didn't impress me at all (and, yes I will admit to watching and enjoying Parker Lewis Can't Lose...just keep in mind that I was 14 or 15 when that show aired).
Spoiler:
Daniel is my favorite character. I still think the show benefitted from him departing for a bit.
Old 08-15-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The show might be alright story wise but the acting on SG-1 makes the show unwatchable for me.
Old 08-15-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SG1 is a solid show -- it's not so much great as it has a consistent quality quality. I'm not so much of a fan of the show after Browder and Black came on because of how drastically the tone changed (it seems much closer to Farscape after that) though I think it was still pretty good.

And don't worry about RDA -- he plays the anti-MacGyver in the series, a military officer in charge of some scientists. Whenever someone starts spouting technobabble, he puts up his hands and says, "Hey, I don't understand the details. Just give me an executive summary.
Old 08-15-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If you plan on starting, beware that season one is rough. Real rough. It's good that Showtime greenlit 40 episodes out of the gate(pun intended) because I doubt the show would have survived on its first 20.
You can say that again. My wife and I just finished season 1. It took us about 13 months to get through it. We just couldn't find the interest. I can say that the last few episodes got much better and we couldn't stop watching those. So far we're making much better progress on Season 2.
Old 08-15-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
You can say that again. My wife and I just finished season 1. It took us about 13 months to get through it. We just couldn't find the interest. I can say that the last few episodes got much better and we couldn't stop watching those. So far we're making much better progress on Season 2.
Same thing happened to me, going back to season 1 I like it a lot now, but it took a while.

I disagree with Sean about the later seasons becoming closer to Farscape. I think the quality dropped, but I don't really see how its more like Farscape any more than show Scrubs became more like Melrose Place when Heather Locklear was on it. But that's just my opinion of course.
Old 08-15-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have tried over and over to really love Stargate but I don't. It's good enough but I never thought it was quite as interesting or involving as Farscape or Babylon 5.
I felt Anderson was a bit annoying with the looks and one liners but I did like the cast in general, especially Carter and Daniel.
They lured me in with the addition of Ben and Claudia during the last two seasons and I enjoyed it a bit more. Not just because they were good but I thought the show was a bit more fun.
\I do look forward to the direct to DVD movies though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.