Questions About DirecTV DVR and Tivo...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-12-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I had a Tivo unit for my TV, but it only would record about 30 hours of programming. I wanted a DVR that held more, and DirecTV had a deal that if we promised to keep DTV for an extra year, we'd get the DVR for free. So we did it.

Now, there are some things I like about it. When searching for shows and such, there is a small window in the layout that allows you to continue watching your show. Tivo didn't have it. The DirecTV DVR also shows you how much space is still left on your DVR before it will start deleting shows. Tivo also didn't have this. And I think it holds about 100 hours of programming.

However, there are some serious problems I am running into. I am having situations where if I set up a season pass, it may record it for a week or a week and a half, but then it will inexplicably stop keeping up with the shows (not all, but some). Other times, I try to create a season pass, and it will act like I am not clicking the button. No explanation. Sometimes it'll record a show that's an hour, but only record the first 30 mins. I've had times when I've recorded Big Brother After Dark, and instead of recording all 3 hours, it will just record 2 hrs and 47 mins. Or 1 hr and 42 mins.

I called DTV, and they asked me a bunch of Q's, but they couldn't figure it out. I am assuming that it's not a faulty player, so much as the DTV DVR isn't that great compared to Tivo.

Now, I am in the market for a Tivo that will record more hours. However, I went to the store and read the Tivo box. It states it cannot record two satellite shows at once now. Does Tivo now not work with DirecTV anymore or something? Am I just stuck with this poor DVR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just install a larger hard drive in the Tivo. One of my Tivos holds 280 hours, the other holds 340 or so. It is not much more complex than installing a new hard drive in a computer.

Or you can buy a new Tivo with a larger capability. Weakness sells Tivos with capacities up to 1TB.

Go to the Tivo Community upgrade forum and start reading.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 08-12-07 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-13-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can still get Directv-TiVo combo units here -

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

70 hour models go for $239, and it'll be worth every dime after suffering with Directv's pathetic homebrewed dvr, the awful R-15.
Old 08-13-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for that link.
Old 08-13-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NC-36
You can still get Directv-TiVo combo units here -

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

70 hour models go for $239, and it'll be worth every dime after suffering with Directv's pathetic homebrewed dvr, the awful R-15.
And just a BTW - I LOVE my DirecTivo. In fact I got an extra one for my tennant for about $50 when DirecTV was clearing out the 40 hour units. They ROCK!
Old 08-13-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you buy it at the weaknees.com site? I had never heard of this site until yesterday.

Is it 100% certain that I can buy a DirecTivo from that site, and have it work with my DirecTV service? I just find it odd that they are selling them on this particular website, but not in common stores like BestBuy anymore.
Old 08-13-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weaknees has been around for years with many happy customers. That's no guarantee that everything will go perfect for you, but they're a reputable company. I wouldn't worry about buying from them.
Old 08-13-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Did you buy it at the weaknees.com site? I had never heard of this site until yesterday.

Is it 100% certain that I can buy a DirecTivo from that site, and have it work with my DirecTV service? I just find it odd that they are selling them on this particular website, but not in common stores like BestBuy anymore.
They stopped manufacturing DirecTiVo units in early 2005 (I think). Best Buy ran out of them quickly, since Directv was focused on pushing the craptastic R-15. Weaknees snapped up practically every available DirecTiVo, though a few did surface at Circuit City's website a couple of weeks ago.

Don't worry, weaknees has a sterling reputation on the www.tivocommunity.com forums.
Old 08-14-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weaknees is a great company. I'd rather deal with them than CC or BB.