Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I can't believe I just saw Snow White for the first time!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-12-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't laugh!
If I didnt see this landmark 1937 film before I dont think I remember it, though I have seen "clips" of it before.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2 Disc Platinum Edition R1) - 4.5/5

Now this is classic Disney and no mistake. I think my previous earliest Disney was Pinocchio (1940) which I had on VHS (and recently got the R2 release from 2003).
Snow White is an amazing achievement for 1937. Contains some classic tunes that have become familliar and I knew from when I was little (Whistle While You Work, Heigh-Ho, Dig Dig Dig etc), and other Disney hallmarks, including cute woodland animals, comedy from the Dwarfs and a genuinely scary and evil villain in The Wicked Queen. Strangely, Prince Charming is a bit of a wimp compared with the magnificent Queen.
For some reason, even at 84 minutes the pacing seems a bit wrong and the Queen's deed with the apple is done very quickly at the end. It's still a classic though and a very important film in animation I feel. I really enjoyed it.
Old 08-12-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
I've still never seen it and have no desire to.
Old 08-12-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen it yet. Of course their have been alot of movies in the past couple of years that are from the 30's, 40's & 50's that I just saw for the first time.

Hell, I didn't see The Wizard of Oz (1939) until 1999 on VHS. I hold the movie in high regard now that I've seen it 100 times & it's definitely a classic.

I didn't see the brilliant Nosferatu (silent film) until last year when I bought it on DVD. I'm sure if anyone from the current generation saw it they would think it's a total boring film, but I sure didn't. Shadow of the Vampire perfect fictional "behind the scenes" documentary "so to speak" to Nosferatu. I wish more movie would pay tribute to legendary horror flicks that way instead of making some god awful remake.
Old 08-12-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
I've still never seen it and have no desire to.
May I ask why? It's a landmark motion picture, exquisite artistry, and a fun little movie.
Old 08-12-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didnt see Wizard of Oz until a couple of years ago either.
Back to Snow White, I understand this was the 1930's but I found the actress's voice a bit thin/wobbly (?) - the girl who played her. Compare to it Mary Costa's more mature singing voice in Sleeping Beauty (1959) for example. It could just be my modern ears though
Maybe rw2516 was being sarcastic? It is indeed a landmark film and its impact on Disney and animation general is massive.
Old 08-12-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I guess movies from the 30s does have a thin voices. I don't know what really happened but it could be from the recording technology of the time. Kinda reminds me of one of those Singing in the Rain recording session!
Old 08-12-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
The first time I saw it was a few years ago when the Platinum collection DVD came out. I blind bought it and had the same thoughts as you grim. It's definitely a landmark film and Snow White's thin, screachy voice is kind of hard to take.

I'm not sure kids today would find it very entertaining, something tells me the ADD kids of today would turn it off around the time the Dwarfs spend 15 minutes washing up for dinner...
Old 08-12-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
May I ask why? It's a landmark motion picture, exquisite artistry, and a fun little movie.
Just can't get into Disney animated flicks. Liked them was I was a little kid but Snow White never came around that I can remember. Not saying it isn't worth seeing, I just can't get into it. Pixar stuff neither. I do like Mary Poppins though and watch it once a year. Am I redeemed? Love the older Disney live action comedy stuff, even the lesser ones like Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, Never A Dull Moment etc.
Old 08-12-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The first time I saw it was a few years ago when the Platinum collection DVD came out. I blind bought it and had the same thoughts as you grim. It's definitely a landmark film and Snow White's thin, screachy voice is kind of hard to take.

I'm not sure kids today would find it very entertaining, something tells me the ADD kids of today would turn it off around the time the Dwarfs spend 15 minutes washing up for dinner...
I know Walt said he wanted a voice who sounded like a 14/15 year old girl so maybe that's why Adriana Caselotti's voice sounds too thin, like it's not fully rounded? At the time she was 18 so maybe she was just putting that voice on?
I would have liked the prince to be developed more too I think, but its still an excellent film.
Old 08-13-07, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow White was one of the Disney films I actually enjoyed the least -- artistic merit or not.

I actually prefer 2nd tier titles like Sword and the Stone over it.
Old 08-13-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Snow White = Goth chick who's Pale with dark hair.
Old 08-13-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Hell, I didn't see The Wizard of Oz (1939) until 1999 on VHS. I hold the movie in high regard now that I've seen it 100 times & it's definitely a classic.
I'll take a guess here, but you saw it 100 times while trying to cue "Speak to Me/Breathe" to the lion's roar?
Old 08-13-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'll take a guess here, but you saw it 100 times while trying to cue "Speak to Me/Breathe" to the lion's roar?
Well played.
Old 08-13-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's okay but I can definitely see why modern day children would not be into it.....
Old 08-13-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed Sword In the Stone too, it has a special place in my heart. That has some lacklustre songs though I prefer the jazzy score to the songs. Interestingly, SITS has a similar opening to Snow White (in a way) with a storybook opening (this time someone explaining the plot by singing it).
The part in Sword in The Stone with the girl squirrel is pretty sad Why couldnt Merlin turn her into a human little girl? I guess because even though she'd look like a girl, she'd have the mind of a red squirrel, so it wouldnt work
Sleeping Beauty's villainess (Malefacent - sp?) seemed influenced by the Queen in Snow White.
Old 08-13-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts
I think Snow White is one of the best Disney films. We're never going to see animation like that again, and a whole bunch of the songs deservedly became big hits.

I don't mind Snow White's singing voice that much, and attribute it's thinness to poor recording technology. I do hate the women's chorus. I think Walt used it to show that his movies were Serious Art.
Old 08-13-07, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JaxComet
It's okay but I can definitely see why modern day children would not be into it.....
Do any pof the people saying kids don't like it actually HAVE kids? My 5 year old Daughter watches this movie about 2x a month (personaly, i am not a big fan). All the other kids in her class love it too...
Old 08-13-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do you mean "women's chorus" Nick? It is very traditional (and quite sexist) in some ways that Snow White plays the housewife role while the dwarfs go out to work. But they have given her a place to stay and saved her so she has to repay them
Old 08-13-07, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by grim_tales
What do you mean "women's chorus" Nick? It is very traditional (and quite sexist) in some ways that Snow White plays the housewife role while the dwarfs go out to work. But they have given her a place to stay and saved her so she has to repay them

Um... you are kidding right??

"women's chorus" = not sexist... group of women singing

"women's CHORES" = Now THAT would be sexist

(but I seriously hope you were kidding...)
Old 08-13-07, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Therecanbonly1
Do any pof the people saying kids don't like it actually HAVE kids? My 5 year old Daughter watches this movie about 2x a month (personaly, i am not a big fan). All the other kids in her class love it too...

Agreed. My 4 year old daughter loves this movie as well as Sleeping Beauty and would watch either of these every day if she were allowed.

For the same reasons that previous posters thought that kids today would not like it is the reason why we let out 2 year old son watch Snow White but only newer movies in much less quantity. He loves Cars, but we have since limited his exposure to it due to being concerned we are programming him to be bored with, well, just about everything else.

That being said, I still have yet to watch either Snow White or Sleeping Beauty all the way through because they bore me
Old 08-13-07, 05:56 PM

Actually, all of the Disney princess movies tend to make the rounds here. (god help my 1yr old son - Big sister has tried to explain to him why Snow White and Sleeping Beuty are so cool). At least Sleeping Beuty has a dragon!
Old 08-13-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, all of the Disney princess movies tend to make the rounds here. (god help my 1yr old son - Big sister has tried to explain to him why Snow White and Sleeping Beuty are so cool). At least Sleeping Beuty has a dragon!
I'm a Huge fan of Classic Disney Princess animation.
Old 08-13-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a first for everything in life and in flim bravo sir on a fine choice of a movie.
Just today I saw A Man For All Seasons for the first-time and it's was a brilliant flim.
Old 08-14-07, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Um... you are kidding right??

"women's chorus" = not sexist... group of women singing

"women's CHORES" = Now THAT would be sexist

(but I seriously hope you were kidding...)
Yeah, I was really. Don't worry
Old 08-14-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Sleeping Beauty's evil witch is easily one of the creepiest things in Disney animation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.