Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Michael Haneke collection on 8/21

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael Haneke collection on 8/21

I noticed in the release section that there is a "Films of Michael Haneke" box set being released on August 21. The set includes The Seventh Continent, Benny's Video, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance, The Castle, Funny Games, Code Unknown, and The Piano Teacher.

I will probably be buying this anyway because the only one of those I own currently is Funny Games, but I wanted to know if these are new editions, or simply a repackaging of the current releases.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-07, 02:03 AM

I very much doubt those will be new editions. It's quite cheap for the studio to just repackage them and release as a box.
Old 08-11-07, 02:20 AM

This is total garbage if the editions are the old ones. Those were pretty bad. The Piano Teacher especially.
Old 08-11-07, 05:11 AM

Well, I'm quite satisfied with my old Funny Games.
Old 08-11-07, 08:40 AM

Funny Games is the only one of his I've seen and I liked it. Will I like the rest of these?
Old 08-11-07, 09:29 AM

Aside from Funny Games I've seen only The Piano Teacher and liked it also. From what can be read in reviews and annotations of his movies I see the others are also must be good as they all deal with this exploration of dark corners of human psyche.
Old 08-11-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have Funny Games and Benny's Video, but if the price on this set is right (which, since it's Kino, probably won't be) I'll grab it to save some cash on buying these separately.
Old 08-11-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wish Criterion could just absorb Kino. They release so many movies and the majority of them the transfers suck.
Old 08-24-07, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Funny Games is the only one of his I've seen and I liked it. Will I like the rest of these?
If you like David Lynch you should like Michael Haneke. La Pianiste is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Last edited by SmartisSexy; 08-24-07 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-24-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by SmartisSexy
If you like David Lynch you should like Michael Haneke.

Besides being good filmmakers with a singular vision, they are nothing alike.
Old 08-24-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

May the unsupported positions fly! I'm mostly with slop101 on this. I think that people that like David Lynch are open to new and aggressive ideas in film, which may lend them to liking Haneke. Otherwise...eh. Care to help us out, SmartisSexy?
Old 08-24-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The greatest thing about these releases is that its the first, English-subbed release of "The Castle". The worst thing about these releases are that they come from Kino, and will all be improperly converted PAL>NTSC transfers, with the associated artifacts and "ghosting" issues. Yeah, Kino is both overpriced and second-rate.

The UK-R2 releases are the ones to get. R4 is certainly worth considering, as well, and the French-R2 of "The Piano Teacher" may well be the very best on that title. But I'm very happy with the UK-R2 editions of "The Michael Haneke Trilogy" (the first three films), the remastered, special edition of "Funny Games", and the "Haneke Boxset" that includes "Code Unknown", "Time of the Wolf", "The Piano Teacher", and "Cache".

For Tenacious-D, "Funny Games" fits pretty neatly within Haneke's overall output, but it's also just a bit apart from it. It's probably closest to his first three films in theme, but that's not to say you won't like his subsequent output as much (or, like me, more). The reviewer at Salon puts it like this:
[Haneke's] movies combine normal storytelling with a certain strain of postmodern provocation. Haneke is such a technical virtuoso, so skilled at camerawork and framing, atmosphere and mood, that it's easy not to see that he's aiming beyond the boundaries of ordinary narrative. He treats his characters with generosity and respect (or at least the ones he takes seriously), but he is also, always, seeking to remind us that we are participants in an artificial, highly ritualized process: the act of watching a film. So the middle-class family members terrorized by an invisible voyeur in "Caché" are characters in a story, but the force tormenting them is, like Augustine's conception of God, not to be found inside their world.

...Haneke comments ruefully that "Funny Games" - intended as an indictment of the audience appetite for violence - has itself become a cult movie among horror fans in English-speaking countries. (I don't know how he hopes to avoid a similar fate for his forthcoming American remake of the film, starring Tim Roth and Naomi Watts.) His other movies don't all possess the same level of overt gamesmanship, but once you understand that he wants you to watch yourself watching his film - and that the boundary between narrative and "reality," between story and commentary, is highly porous - they start to make a lot more sense.

I was particularly struck by Haneke's first film after his post-"Funny Games" relocation to France, the 2001 "Code Unknown," which wasn't much seen outside Europe and struck some of his fans as a sellout. (Translation: Nobody gets gruesomely killed.) It's a slithery, fragmentary work that follows the consequences of a random Parisian street encounter as they ripple through several disparate lives across the continent. "Code Unknown" has more of an overt social message than most of Haneke's films, but it also has a powerful psychological undertow; it seeps into your subconscious and ends up every bit as disturbing as "Funny Games."

This set also includes Haneke's excellent 1997 adaptation of Franz Kafka's "The Castle" (made for Austrian TV), along with his early study of violence and dissociation, "Benny's Video," and "71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance," a study of a Columbine-like massacre that predates Gus Van Sant's "Elephant" by a decade, and outdoes it too.
Old 08-24-07, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by SmartisSexy
If you like David Lynch you should like Michael Haneke. La Pianiste is one of my favorite movies of all time.
SmartisSexy, what on Earth do they have in common?
Old 08-24-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious D

If you like Tarkovsky, Bresson & Antonioni then maybe you will like the rest of Haneke's films.

Last edited by inri222; 08-24-07 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-24-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright, people are just plain getting silly now.

Haneke's films have that cold, perfect sheen of Kubrick's films, with occasional flashes of arch-Kubrickian black humor, a touch of Hitchcockian voyeurism, and heaps of moralistic finger-wagging a la Lars von Trier. Ok, maybe there are some Bressonian aspects, to boot.

To put it simply, one of the most morally/aesthetically interesting and technically accomplished filmmakers working today. But, you know... not for all tastes.
Old 08-24-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Very Interesting

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/...surname=Haneke

Michael Haneke
Austria
Top Ten

Au hasard Balthazar (Bresson)
Lancelot du Lac (Bresson)
Mirror (Tarkovsky)
Salò (Pasolini)
The Exterminating Angel (Buñuel)
The Gold Rush (Chaplin)
Psycho (Hitchcock)
A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavetes)
Germany Year Zero (Rossellini)
L'eclisse (Antonioni)
Old 08-24-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by inri222
Very Interesting
But not at all surprising.