Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Blue Water, White Death DVDtalk review?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-10-07, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the importance the documentary Blue Water, White Death has both as a ground-breaking nature documentary and as the primary inspiration for the novel (and subsequent film) JAWS, I'm surprised DVDtalk hasn't given the newly released DVD of film a review yet.

For what it's worth, I picked the DVD up last week and was absolutely amazed with the quality of the both the film and the DVD. There's a powerful sense of high adventure the permiates the film, and moments like dozens of white-tipped sharks feeding on a whale carcase can't help but take your breath away.

The DVD itelf is great - AV quality is excellent considering the age of the film and circumstances under which it was made. Extras are great, too - the commentary explain a good deal of backstory of the expedition to film the great white shark, give good detail about some of the more memorable incidents of the film as well as some of the more interesting stories that occured off camera. The documentary is nice, although it's more charming than informative as it mainly serves as a touching tribute to Peter Gimbel.

For any fans of nature documentaries, I'd say it's a must own. That also goes for JAWS fans as well.
Old 08-10-07, 05:31 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Pssst: Ian's review was put up earlier today at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29732 so you must have missed it. Enjoy!
Old 08-10-07, 06:31 PM

Ah, my mistake. I had checked yesterday night but didn't again right before I posted.

Great review, and I'd encourage anyone who enjoys nature documentaries or has even a passing interest in sharks to check it out.