Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

La reine Margot French 2 DVD Collector's Edition 11/28

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fnac.com and Alapage are showing a 2 DVD Collector's Edition of Patrice Chereau's La reine Margot starring Isabelle Adjani which is set for release on November 28 by Pathe. Does anyone know what the set will contain?
Old 08-10-07, 02:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have the single disc set from Korea, transfered 16x9 in 2003, looks quite good, and comes in a somewhat deluxe package-or at least more features than usual.
The only thing to out do that would be to include the fabled 'first cut' (160m?)
which played, ive read, for a week in Paris, was pulled and cut down to 137 mins.(NTSC) the film was not well attended, due to the extreme violence.

Last edited by Seashellz; 08-19-07 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 09:51 AM

I remember the first french edition had a wrong aspect ratio, they announced 2.35 and it was 1.85, maybe this new release will have the right format.
Old 08-14-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tutut
I remember the first french edition had a wrong aspect ratio, they announced 2.35 and it was 1.85, maybe this new release will have the right format.
Huh???

2.35:1 is out of question. Period!

Pro-B
Old 08-14-07, 04:32 PM

The cover of previous French edition states a 2.35:1 AR. However, the disc is in the correct 1.85.
Old 08-14-07, 11:44 PM

I didn't see it in theater, I thought the original format was 2.35.
Old 08-15-07, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd like to see the longer cut of the film as well.
Old 08-15-07, 11:13 AM

Every print I've ever seen of the film has been 1.85.
Old 08-15-07, 02:25 PM

I was wrong, I checked at allocine.fr :

Format du son : Dolby
Format de projection : 1.85 : 1
Format de production : 35 mm
Old 08-25-07, 03:50 PM

There will also be a 3 disk German release on November 16. No word yet on what will be included. The running time is listed as 162 minutes so it looks to be the uncut version. Doesn't look to be English friendly though. Only French and German subtitles will be included.
Old 08-26-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hope that sooner rather than later Miramax releases Margot on Blu-Ray. I have four discs of this film in my collection and will gladly add a BR regardless of the price!

Pro-B
Old 09-03-07, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bjackson
There will also be a 3 disk German release on November 16. No word yet on what will be included. The running time is listed as 162 minutes so it looks to be the uncut version. Doesn't look to be English friendly though. Only French and German subtitles will be included.
---
162 min PAL =169 min, ntsc?
Doubt the Weinsteins will go for it, even at one disc.

can you show a link?
thnks

Last edited by Seashellz; 09-03-07 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The film is sold in Germany under: Die Bartholomäusnacht

Here's the linky:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail...me&rsk=hitlist

Pro-B
Old 09-06-07, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I hope that sooner rather than later Miramax releases Margot on Blu-Ray. I have four discs of this film in my collection and will gladly add a BR regardless of the price!

Pro-B
Sure, sure. And I hope that I'll win the next major lottery, notwithstanding the fact that I do not intend to buy a ticket.

My perception of blu ray (and, for that matter, HDDVD) is that they are still at the stage that dvd was in the late 90s.... that so few titles of any substance are released that people buy them just because they feel the need to buy something. Anything.
Old 09-07-07, 06:35 PM

no english subs on either
Old 10-10-07, 12:36 PM

Although it doesn't seem to be English friendly, the upcoming French collector's edition appears to be what fans have been waiting for! The 2 disc release will include an all new, "restored and remastered" transfer of the 160 minute director's cut of the film from an HD master. Extras will include interviews with director Patrice Chereau, a storyboard comparison, photo gallery, and 7 deleted scenes.

http://shop.foxfrance.com/fr/produit...news_40134.php

Last edited by bjackson; 10-10-07 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-10-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I will betaking a look at this release but still hope that Miramax come up with a BR surprise for us in the US. Even if it is the standard version.

Pro-B
Old 10-24-07, 02:01 AM

I like, so doubt the Weinstein Bros will want to 'waste' money on a fringe historical film such as this-It aint a 'crowd pleaser' like "Cinema Paridiso"
or "Volver";

If you can handle a standard version, the Korean is your best bet at a decent 16:9 transfer and probably cheap now.

I am assuming that BOTH french and german editons are from the same new HD transfer-
162 min PAL being the correct run time.

I was hoping to see a review of the 3-disc Die Bartholomaeusnacht.

Its something I MIGHT buy despite no French or German language skills.

(IF it is confirmed to have no english subs-you can stake your life on the French edition not having them)
Time to sign up for the Rosetta Language packs
--------------------
Here is the best I could do, with bablefish:
FOX:
Queen Margot "all public"=G? 1572: Marguerite de Valois, sister of King Charles IX, is beautiful, young and Catholic. To reinforce France, CathÈrine de MÈdicis, its mËre, the Marie of force to the Protestant Henri de Navarre, future king Henri IV. But is the massacre of Saint-BarthÈlÈmy L? who s'annonce...
Information Produced: Edition restaurÈe and remasterisÈe? to leave d'un master HD Montage Director's Cut with 11' supplÈmentaires BoÓtier keep box with surÈtui RÈalisateur: Patrice ChÈreau Actors: Isabelle Adjani, Daniel Auteuil, Jean-Hugues Anglade, Vincent Perez, Virna Lisi, Domenica White, Pascal Greggory, Claudio Amendola, Miguel BosÈ, Asia Argento Sounds? FranÁais: DD FranÁais: DD2.0 FranÁais: DD5.1 Subtitles? No-claims bonus? DVD 2: Discussions with DaniËle Thompson and Patrice ChÈreau Galleries of photographs: - Turning - Slides - DÈcors and accessories - Album of the scripte Suzanne Durrenbergen - Drawings and costumes Tests costumes (files 1993) Comparative film/story-board, "Le mariage", "La chasse" 7 scËnes coupÈes

FNAC:
The Film: The Margot Queen - discussions with Danielle Thompson and Patrice Chéreau - the comparative film/storyboard: "Le Mariage" and "La Chasse" - 7 cut scenes - tests of costumes (files of 1993) - the galleries of photographs Card-indexes detailed "La Reine Margot - Edition collector" realizer (s) Patrice Chéreau actor (s) Isabelle Adjani, Daniel Auteuil, Jean-Hugues Anglade, Vincent Perez, Virna Lisi
VIDEO Editon PATHE Language 1, Encoding 1 French, digital Dolby 5.1 Language 2, Encoding 2 French, Dolby surround 2.0 French Subtitling for deaf people compatible Format image 16:9 4/3 format d'origine respected 1.85 Support simple face double lay down Qualité Stake Had (mn) 0 to couleur/noir white 1 Stereophony/Mono 1

Amazon.fr seems to have the best price (FOXStore wanted E40 to USA)
E27.61 total-2-3 folks want to split postage E11.00?

Last edited by Seashellz; 10-24-07 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-30-07, 04:44 PM

Hi guys,

this is my first post. I only registered to give you some information about the upcoming german and french DVD releases of LA REINE MARGOT. This information is straight from Capelight, the german company that will release the new DVD.

The german and french releases are very different. The german DVD will include the old extended version of the movie. The DVD master is NOT in HD but according to Capelight it's a very good anamorphic PAL master.

The french DVD is from a brand-new HD master and it presents a new director's cut of the movie which is a bit shorter than the old "extended version".

Capelight are thinking about acquiring the rights to the new version too for a later Blu-ray release but it will only happen IF the current release sells well and IF it is possible to utilize the old german dub together with the new cut. Releasing the movie in french only (with german subs) makes no financial sense in Germany :-(. Unfortunately most germans like all movies dubbed into german.
However both the german and the french releases are not english-friendly anyway so you guys have to hope for a UK or US release. I think a UK-release of the new director's cut by Pathe isn't too far-fetched.

Andi
Old 10-30-07, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow
However both the german and the french releases are not english-friendly anyway so you guys have to hope for a UK or US release. I think a UK-release of the new director's cut by Pathe isn't too far-fetched.
Andi
Some of us might be able to handle the French release if it comes with the French HoH subs as indicated by DvdFr.com.

Now, if we can just convince CdWow to carry this release ...
Old 10-30-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow
Capelight are thinking about acquiring the rights to the new version too for a later Blu-ray release...
They better think fast! This is the one title that will force me to immediately purchase a second, region-B, Blu-Ray player. I have my eyes on the German Lowe but am planning on waiting until/past Christmas to see if the price tag changes.

Regardless, no matter what the price or region-coding if a BR release of Queen Margot becomes a reality it will be bought immediately. Whatever Capelight decide to ask for such a disc I will be paying, money is not an issue (and the same goes for the English subtitles).

Pro-B
Old 11-20-07, 12:12 PM

Any reviews of the German release?
Old 11-21-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bjackson
Any reviews of the German release?
I have not seen any reviews posted.

Pro-B
Old 11-25-07, 02:43 PM

heres the best babelfish could do, with a couple of corrections by myself
-------------------
Original title: La Reine Margot
EAN code: 4042564022964
Category: History film
Release: FSK 16
Date of release: 23.11.2007
Media: DVD-9
Chapters 17
Sub-titles:*German*
Packing: Digipak
Production counties: Italy | France | Germany
Production year: 1994
Label: Capelight
Regioncode: 2, PAL
Running time: 163 minutes
Actors: Asia Argento, Daniel Auteuil, Dominique Blanc, Isabelle Adjani, Jean Hugues Anglade, Pascal Greggory, Thomas Kretschmann, Vincent Perez, Virna Lisi
Music: Goran Bregovic
Director: Patrice Chereau
--------------
Synopsis: Isabelle Adjani as Queen Margot, in a film around power and passion in the France in the year 1572 at present the religionskriege between catholics and protestanten, who found their H?punkt in the bloody Bartholom?nacht this yearly. Margot, sister of Charles IX., K?g of France, and daughter of Catherine de M?cis, is married against its will with the Protestant K?g Henri de Navarre. In the midst of of plots and death it places itself on the side of the pursued protestanten and on the side of its man. Their love go? but another...

Picture colour
Format 1,78:1 (anamorph/16:9)

Transfer: F?die evaluation of these DVD was weighted ausschlie?ich the unabridged version, since the German cinema version already admits from other Ver?entlichungen is and with this edition than bonus material is handled! Disc one is the cut version; disc two is the uncut version.

The Sch?e of the transfer is correct?r a canvas works the picture however due to the lack of details somewhat softly. The colors work kr?ig and nat?ich and the contrast likewise succeeded. The picture rushes easily and the compression ensures f?leichtes block noise in homogeneous Fl?en.

***If one compares this transfer with that the German cinema version, the unabridged version fares clearly better.***
Evaluation (4.0/5)

Sound:
Languages German (Dolby digital 2,0 Surround)
German (Dolby digital 5,1)
Franz?sch (Dolby digital 2,0 Surround)
Remarks: Also with the clay/tone the unabridged version is only evaluated.

The German clay/tone of this version pr?ntiert itself as Upmix on the format DD5.1. merging becomes centerlastig thereby whereby the music also?rgreift?ers on the front Surroundboxen. The Subwoofer and the rear boxes are used only very rarely. The dialogues are very good at each time to understand, background noise and?liche St?aktoren are missing.
The franz?sche originalton was played in the format DD2.0 on the DVD and can be angew?t only together with fixed German sub-titles. This version is clearly more quietly than the German version, the dialogues is however nevertheless good to understand and the rejection of the music succeeded also here.
Evaluation (3.5/5)
---------
Extras: cinema version (163 mins)
- Christian Romanowski: N?te of the decision, the blood bath at the Bartholom?fest (43:16 min.)
- story board film comparison: "the wedding" and "the hunt"
- Kost?robe (5:44 min.)
- deleted scenes of cinema version
- photo gallery with?r 70 pictures
- German and franz?scher Kinotrailer

Remark On the second DVD is the German cinema version, which is approximately 25 minutes longer than the unabridged version on Disc 1. On the third disc Silberling Christian became Romanowski under the title: N?te of the decision, the blood bath at the Bartholom?fest. one approximately 45 minutes long documentation to the film accommodated, further gives it story board comparisons, a short Kost?robe, separately anw?bare missing scenes to the cinema version, a Slideshow and Trailer.
Evaluation (3.5/5)

Final remarks: After in Germany long years?r ausschlie?ich the gek?te cinema version was erh?lich ver?entlicht Capelight now in the context of the Collector.s edition a Digipak with 3 DVDs, that apart from the cinema version also the ungek?te unabridged version enth?. Zus?lich is attached to the set a third DVD with bonus material. The Qualit?der Ver?entlichung actually succeeded very well, so that one can access as a fan of the film and interesting heedlessly with these DVD.
Evaluation (4.0/5)
This DVD Review was provided by Clemens Eisenberger.

**EDIT: it appears that Capelight have issued a bare-bones single disc version at 165 minutes on 21.01.2008; cant find it retail, however-saw it with an EAN /UPC on eBay

Last edited by Seashellz; 01-22-08 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 07:41 PM

Took the plunge and ordered a copy of the French edition at Alapage for €16.70 shipped (using the €15-off-30 coupon 15CASH).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.