Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only THOR movie "News and Rumors" thread (2010 release)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-10-07, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
Thor the Movie - news, rumors, castings

Matthew Vaughn to direct 'Thor'
Marvel aiming for pre-strike start in winter
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Marvel Studios is setting Matthew Vaughn to direct "Thor," based on the Marvel Comics character. Marvel is aiming for a pre-strike production start this winter.

Mark Protosevich ("I Am Legend") did the adaptation of the comicbook franchise that launched in 1962. Thor is a blonde-tressed, hammer-wielding hero who's sent to Earth to protect mankind.

Vaughn's deal is closing just as Paramount releases the Vaughn-directed "Stardust" today. The Neil Gaiman novel adaptation stars Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer.

"Thor" marks Vaughn's second effort at a superhero pic. He was attached to direct "X-Men 3" before bowing out for personal reasons. Vaughn, who produced the Guy Ritchie-directed films "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch," made his directing debut with the Daniel Craig starrer "Layer Cake."

Marvel Studios will likely finance "Thor" using its $500 million credit facility through Merrill Lynch. Marvel has used that fund to finance both Edward Norton starrer "The Incredible Hulk," which Universal releases June 13, and "Iron Man," the Robert Downey Jr. starrer that Paramount will open on May 2.
Old 08-10-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's going to be interesting with Vaughn not liking much of the studio exec. involvement and feeling like a cog in the machine. I liked Stardust and thought it was well made so I'm looking forward to this.
Old 08-10-07, 11:03 PM
Banned

Better no be something like this:

Old 08-11-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the theme song for the movie:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_z6vG4cRYsM
Old 08-11-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see Thor working as a movie.
Old 08-11-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's hoping they find a place for Thor as a frog and Beta Ray Bill!
Old 10-05-08, 01:07 PM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts

Variety is reporting that Kenneth Branagh is being courted to direct Thor.

Branagh in talks to direct 'Thor'
Brit set to wield hammer on Marvel Studios pic
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Kenneth Branagh is negotiating to direct "Thor," the next Marvel Comics property that will be turned into a live-action film by Marvel Studios. Pic will be released in 2010.

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige's choice of Branagh is surprising, as Branagh hasn't really directed an action-heavy film since his debut on "Henry V," a bloody telling of the British king's conquest of France.

Branagh is the latest in a string of directors -- such as Jon Favreau ("Iron Man"), Christopher Nolan (the Batman franchise) and Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine") -- with arthouse roots taking on big-budget comicbook fare.

Marvel will set a distributor for "Thor" shortly.

"Thor" comicbook adaptation, penned by Mark Protosevich, follows disabled medical student Donald Blake, who has an alter ego as the hammer-wielding Norse god Thor.

Marvel will self-finance the film via its $500 million credit facility through Merrill Lynch. Marvel used that coin to fund both "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk" and will do the same for the "Iron Man" sequel that has director Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr. returning.

The "Thor" negotiations come during a resurgence for Branagh. He's currently drawing raves on the London stage in the title role of "Ivanov," and he'll next be seen acting in the Richard Curtis-directed "The Boat That Rocked" and the Bryan Singer-helmed "Valkyrie."

Branagh is repped by Endeavor and manager Judy Hofflund.
... and from RT:

#1 VERILY! KENNETH BRANAGH DOTH VALIANTLY PLEDGE TO HELM YON THOR FOR THOU!

If there's one thing that always made Thor stand out as a character and a comic to me, it was his vaguely-Shakespearean way of speaking. I don't know if Stan Lee intended it, but he basically educated generations of kids about antiquated words like "thou", "thee" and "doth", and it made Thor seem even more "bad ass" along the way. Thor putting his big stone hammer beatdown on some troll, yelling something like "Verily, thou will not stand!"; you just don't get better than that in classic comics. Walt Simonson's 1980s run was also great at that. And so, it makes a brilliant kind of perfect sense that Marvel is negotiating to put the job of directing Thor in the hands of Kenneth Branagh, who has built his reputation on his adaptations of Shakespeare's plays. With a script full of Thor-speak, Branagh will be the guy to make sure that the actors are able to speak that way without sounding, you know, really lame. And now, I will do a little of speculating. Might Marvel also have an eye on getting Branagh to also play Thor's human alter-ego, the meek, crippled Dr. Donald Blake? Branagh obviously doesn't have the frame or stature to play Thor himself, but he seems like a very good choice to play Blake, but again, that's just me guessing. Like Robert Downey, Jr., Kenneth Branagh is an actor who seems ripe for breaking out from the B list into being a major star. Branagh's got the second star spot in Valkyrie coming next year (presuming that Tom Cruise-pirate-looking-Nazi movie doesn't flop), and if he were to star in Thor, that might just do the trick for his career.
I think that Branagh would make a good Dr. Blake... but he might be too old.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-05-08 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I'd be very surprised if Branagh were to cast himself as Doc Blake. Odin maybe but not Blake.
Old 12-15-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From MTV:
It’s been over two months since word broke that Marvel was courting Kenneth Branagh to direct their next big-screen re-launch of one of their cherished heroes, Thor. And since then we’ve heard nary a peep from Branagh himself. At today’s junket for “Valkyrie,” MTV News caught up with the actor/filmmaker and of course brought up the project.

“I am directing “Thor” or “The Mighty Thor’ as you might like to call it,” he said with a smile before clarifying what the title of the film will be. “I think it will be ‘Thor’.”

MTV has spoken to other writers about why Branagh would be such a good fit for the hero. But here was finally an opportunity to hear from Branagh about what appealed to him about the project. So what’s the appeal of “Thor,” Kenneth? “To work on a story about one of the immortals, Gods, extraordinary beings, inter-dimensional creatures,” he enthused.

He continued excitedly, “There’s science fiction and science fact and fantasy all woven into one. It’s based on Norse legends which Marvel sort of raided in a brilliant way.

So who will play Branagh’s hero? Asked about the rumors of Kevin McKidd being up for the role, the director waved it off as premature speculation.

“There’s been lots of talk [about casting] — I sound like a politician — but we are too early at this stage. We’re getting the story and the visual effects together and all of that is very exciting. Someone sensational is going to play the part but it is early days.”

Just because Branagh hasn’t worked on a project of this scale since “Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein,” fear not. This “Thor” promises to be as large as the character would seem to call out for. “It’s a chance to tell a big story on a big scale,” said Branagh. “It’s a human story right in the center of a big epic scenario.”
Old 12-15-08, 12:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I wonder if Vincent D'Onofrio was asked to reprise his role:

Old 12-15-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they don't turn this into a two-hour gay joke.
Old 12-15-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I hope they don't turn this into a two-hour gay joke.
Kate Beckinsale as Lady Sif would put the kibosh on that. Wonder how many supporting characters we'll get.
Old 12-15-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting that they're getting Kenneth Branaugh to direct a movie like Thor. I thought that he had only previously directed Shakespeare movies.
Old 12-15-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Fascinating choice. As long as he has a good second unit director for the action sequences, I'm all for this.
Old 12-15-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope they will work in The Destoryer in the storyline of this flim.
He was and always was my fav villan of Thor.
Old 12-16-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think that Loki would have to be the villian... Although I wonder if they would do the female version currently in place?
Old 03-10-09, 07:51 PM

Re: The One & Only THOR movie "News and Rumors" thread (2010 release)

Thor casting is coming together:

http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.c...llPosition=149
Old 03-10-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Based on the pic, seems like a good fit.
Old 03-10-09, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting...I've never him of the actor...but I know who his father is. Is he anywhere as close as being awesome like his father?
Old 03-10-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

he's pretty badass in True Blood.
Old 03-10-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
interesting...I've never him of the actor...but I know who his father is. Is he anywhere as close as being awesome like his father?
He's good in True Blood (I think the source got the wrong HBO show unless he appeared in that too-EDIT, mahbad, didn't know he was in G-Kill too) Not too many complaints from this camp if it's true!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 03-10-09 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 08:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked him in Generation Kill as well.
Old 03-10-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I really the first person to suggest Karl Urban?

Seems like a no brainer choice to me.
Old 03-11-09, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pathfinder was terrible.

I don't want to see him as a Norse again.
Old 03-11-09, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it always bothered me that he looked like Michael Jackson with a goatee in LoTR....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.