TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Showtime's "In Pot We Trust"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Showtime's "In Pot We Trust"

IN POT WE TRUST (TV14 - VL)
The medical use of marijuana is examined from every side of a very complex issue with this documentary that charts the suffering of four chronically ill patients whose reliance on the illegal drug as a pain killer is in jeopardy due to federal anti-narcotic legislation. Reform organizations, prohibitionist groups, politicians, drug war critics, scientists, and celebrities all get their say in this fascinating analysis.
Has anyone watched this? What'd you think? Let's get some discussion in here.

As a Medical Marijuana user myself, I find it very refreshing to see some light shed on the misconceptions of the drug and it's use in the culture today.

EDIT: If you've seen Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" episode on the drug war, you'll see a lot of familiar faces. From lobbyists, to one of the few government issued medical marijuana patients, and a few others.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 08-09-07 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched this (big surprise) and found it pretty well done. It's a crime what they're doing to some of these people who only use cannabis by themselves to ease pain. I don't see how anyone with half a conscience could convict a sick, terminal or otherwise, person for smoking marijuana in their own home.

And it's absurd how much money the government could be banking if they legalized and taxed it.
Old 08-11-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they should just make it legal.
Old 08-11-07, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I think they should just make it legal.
The entire "war on drugs" is a horrible failure.

It has created crime.

It has stripped us of our civil liberties.

It's has drained law enforcement resources, including prisons and courts.

And, you will notice that we never had a "drug problem" until Uncle Sam started sticking his nose where it didn't belong.
Old 08-11-07, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And, you will notice that we never had a "drug problem" until Uncle Sam started sticking his nose where it didn't belong.
That's a questionable arguement. The fact that people ignored the problem doesn't mean there wasn't one.

I agree that current drug policies don't work, and I'd be inclined to say that people should be able to do with their own lives whatever they want, even if that choice will kill themselves.

That said, I've known some drug addicts who have utterly ruined their lives, and hurt many people around them, so I can't get worked up over people not being allowed to do it.
Old 08-11-07, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
As a Medical Marijuana user myself, I find it very refreshing to see some light shed on the misconceptions of the drug and it's use in the culture today.
I think the problem the medical marijuana supporters have is much the same one that people who complain about the RIAA have. That is, while a few people have legitimate issues, they are drowned out by thousands of teenagers that just want to do drugs or steal music.
Whether you believe they should be able to or not, they make the arguement a lot harder by deluting the sympathy factor.
Old 08-11-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's an arbitrary decision; nobody throws alcoholics in jails; why do they throw ppl who use marijuana in jail? Come to think of it, if alcohol were illegal, prices would be skyhigh and we'd have a lot more people committing crimes to pay for their alcohol.
Old 08-11-07, 09:46 AM

everyone knows thats how the CIA funds it secret projects is through its "war on drugs" . Everyone knows they made all their money on opium back in the day. they're the biggest drug dealers in the world.
Old 08-19-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by huzefa
It's an arbitrary decision; nobody throws alcoholics in jails; why do they throw ppl who use marijuana in jail? Come to think of it, if alcohol were illegal, prices would be skyhigh and we'd have a lot more people committing crimes to pay for their alcohol.
History shows, the brief period in American history where alcohol WAS illegal led to a rise in mafia-related crimes in the 1920s and 30s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibi..._United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_issues_of_the_1920s

If we forget history we're bound to repeat it.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 08-19-07 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was a good show, and that cop from San Diego has to be a user... Anyways, hell if it were up to me, I'd make every single drug legal, so the movie for me was just preaching to the choir.
Old 08-19-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the problem the medical marijuana supporters have is much the same one that people who complain about the RIAA have. That is, while a few people have legitimate issues, they are drowned out by thousands of teenagers that just want to do drugs or steal music.
Okay. So what?
Old 08-20-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

are we discussing the show or should this thread be moved to political forum?

Old 08-26-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Watched this last night and enjoyed it. I came away from it though hoping for a little more bite though.

My wife is a speech language pathologist and said that the girl with the stutter was the worst she has ever heard. How can you watch her example and then say "There's no such thing as medicinal marijuana" as that idiot congressman kept repeating. People like that are why there are so many stupid laws in this country. God forbid you look at the facts and use reason.

Now the dude who claimed he used it for his post-traumatic stress disorder seemed to be pushing it to us. Especially the scene where he goes thru and picks what strains of pot he wants and why. I felt that if it is doctor prescribed, a doctor should only be able to give the certain kind and amount like any other medicine.

It was also kinda sad about the woman with CP who had to buy a pipe and learn to smoke it on her own. If it is medicine, someone should go over proper instructions so she takes her medicine correctly.

Minor quibbles but if you want to go the "medicinal" route and least treat it like a medicine.

Now the kookie looking guy who was in the parade who was marching for medicinal marijuana: he's the problem. People like that are not who you want to have representing an issue such as this. It scares everyone who is against marijuana even more.

For people who liked this I highly recommend the documentary "Grass."