Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Veronica Mars : Did they just target the wrong demographics ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a big fan of Veronica Mars, and it seems the network targetted it as a show for teens. I've met with a tivo executive who included VM in shows targetted towards tenage girls.

But to me, the core of VM is the witty dialogue, no sugary carp, and the mysteries, and this is more suited towards an older (male) audience. I liked Weevil, I liked VM's dad. I tolerated VM-Logan crap. I tolerated Jackie.

Did the network just not target it to to the right audience ?
Old 08-09-07, 06:41 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I think it was more the result of the network on which it aired for 2/3 of its life. UPN isn't exactly a ratings beast; The CW ain't much better, either.
Old 08-09-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think one of the beauties of the show is that it didn't target a group. While it was set in a high school, you didn't have to be a teenager to enjoy or appreciate it. It was a unique show that needed unique handling that neither UPN or CW was able to deliver. Although I don't think a network would have handled it any better and it probably wouldn't have lasted a full season. It was a perfect show for a cable network.

In other VM news, TV Guide is reporting that Kristen Bell may join the cast of LOST as one of the "other Others".
Old 08-09-07, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that was part of it, especially it seemed in the 3rd season there was a lot more relationship drama than in prior seasons.

I'd watch Kristen in anything, so I hope the Lost rumors are true.
Old 08-09-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
At the end, they tried to, by pairing it with Gilmore Girls and having that group of girls "watching" it and Gilmore Girls together. The show was basically dead by that point though.

I think they tried pretty much everything to get people to watch it. I never agreed with the people that said it wasn't supported well. There were tons of commercials. I saw pictures on billboards and the sides of buses. Heckk, they even tried re-airing episodes on CBS during the summer after the first season. Nothing worked.
Old 08-09-07, 10:56 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think they were in a tough spot. I know a lot of adults avoided it because it seemed too teen. The title also probably turned off some males as being a "chick show". I even have a friend exactly in their core demographic (smart 20-year-old female) who made fun of me for having the DVDs because she thought it looked like "just another stupid teen show".
Old 08-09-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Aerie girls killed VM.
Old 08-09-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
The title also probably turned off some males as being a "chick show".
Funny, the first time I heard the title, the "Mars" part of it immediately made me think some sort of scifi/genre, closer to Buffy/Angel than anything else. I caught a few episodes based on all the buzz in TV Talk, and despite being firmly grounded in "reality", I thought it was a great little show. If it ever gets into a syndication package somewhere, I'll set the DVR to grab it so the wife and I can watch it together.
Old 08-09-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this was a show for girls and older people as well. Granted the mysterys were for an older croud, the entire high school click, and veronica's many relashionships were made for a younger crowd. If it was just a show for adults disguised as a high school show it would have left those things out, like Brick did.
Old 08-09-07, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Did the network just not target it to to the right audience ?
Well, I liked it because of the complicated plot lines, the long story arcs, and the witty banter. Also, she wasn't the best in Season 1, but by Season 3, Kristin Bell was a stand-out actress.

But that's apparently not what brings ratings, so they tried more concise arcs (because the network thinks America has ADD) that were easier to follow and figure out (because America is apparently also stupid), they reduced the number of concurred plots (because we apparently can't handle thinking about too much at once), and they added more "relationship" issues (to target women).

In Season 1, it was a thinking person's show... there's not much on TV that requires that level of thought. By Season 3 it was a shell of its former self.

As for the title, the first thing I also see is "Mars" which makes me think of masculine things (god of war... male symbol... "Men are from Mars..." etc).
Old 08-09-07, 03:34 PM
Suspended

intelligently written shows with intricate season long story arcs don't usually last too long

at least it was around more than one season

*edit*
plus, who CARES if she wasn't a great actress in the first season (i don't think she was half bad). she's so beautiful that it really shouldn't matter. i mean that sincerely. just looking at her is fun.
Old 08-09-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
In other VM news, TV Guide is reporting that Kristen Bell may join the cast of LOST as one of the "other Others".
Please God, if you love me, let this be true. I will build several churches in your honor. Amen.
Old 08-09-07, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
Please God, if you love me, let this be true. I will build several churches in your honor. Amen.

DAD NO!!!
Old 08-10-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The network and the name made it sound like a series for 16 and under. That is what I thought it was until I started hearing how good it was which made me veryyyy curious.