Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

D-War Movie Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D-War Movie Thread

Im kind of on the fence with this one. I saw the trailer and it looks pretty good but it could be really stupid. Anyone heard or seen this one yet?
Old 08-09-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Layziebones
Im kind of on the fence with this one. I saw the trailer and it looks pretty good but it could be really stupid. Anyone heard or seen this one yet?

most expensive korean film with an ending product of a B-movie CG effects
Old 08-09-07, 09:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually I heard the effects were great. The script is suspect. Kind of like if a Sci-Fi Channel original movie got the summer tentpole treatment.

I'm into all things giant monster so I'll definitely be checking it out.
Old 08-09-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seeing that snake eat an elephant is worth the price of admission. Heard it's horrible except if you love cheesy b-movies.

I can't wait.
Old 08-09-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, that looks terrible. No thanks. I'll stick to good Korean movies.
Old 08-09-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
who thought a korean made monster movie by a former comedianne placed in L.A. and shot in english would be a good idea? Thats like having Robin Williams fly over to mainland china to make a King Kong movie shot in cantonese.
Old 08-09-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is awesome, I just saw the trailer and reached out the production company for a screener. I'm a huge fan of giant creature movies (I've reviewed Boa, Python, Python II, Boa vs. Python and Venomous, just to name a few). Can't wait to see this. The beginning of the trailer totally looks like the attack on Hoth.
Old 09-08-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
I just got back from a 2 week trip to Asia and this was still playing in theatres in Seoul. I was debating whether or not to see it, but decided to hold off and wait for it's release here in the States since I noticed that most of the cast were Americans.

I guess Koreans are starting to follow Hong Kong in creating some english language productions for the international market.
Old 09-08-07, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I guess Koreans are starting to follow Hong Kong in creating some english language productions for the international market.
Younggu-Art Movies, the group that produced Dragon Wars, did a movie update of Korea's original giant monster, Yonggary, in 1999. It was released on DVD in the U.S. as Reptilian. That film also used an English speaking cast.

I'm down for anything giant monster so I'll be there opening weekend!
Old 09-09-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Heard it's horrible except if you love cheesy b-movies.
Well, I'm sold.
Old 07-08-10, 03:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: D-War Movie Thread

I loooove cheesy B movies and I just watched this the other day - and goddamn I thought this was an utter blast - this was ten times more entertaining than 'The Last Airbender' - I thought the special effects were great and the movie moved briskly - the whole scene with the dragons assualt on Los Angeles had me grinning from ear to ear, it all played out and looked like a Michael Bay film. in my book.
Old 07-08-10, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....I think the effects were shit for a film of that year. And I haven't even seen the whole film. I saw 10 mins. and I just...it was bad.
Old 07-08-10, 07:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

your opinion is null - since you didn't watch the whole film

if you want bad, check out the ScyFy channels 'Giant Piranha' - that was by far the worst FX I've ever seen.

Last edited by Giles; 07-08-10 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 07:23 PM

It's been a while since I've watched this, but I don't remember the effects being "shit". Not top-tier ILM or WETA work, but I wasn't taken out of the movie because of the effects (the story is another matter). Story flaws and all, I had a good time watching it. I may have to pop it in the DVD player sometime soon...

This picture of Buraki on the hospital kind of illustrates my point. The shot looks fine IMO. Now, how a giant snake/dragon could slither through town and on top of a hospital without anyone noticing is beyond me. Visual effect good, writing not so much.

This film did great box office in Korea (surplanting The Host as top film all-time there in the process). You'd think there'd have been a sequel by now. but so far nothing.