Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Species: 2-disc CE from MGM --> 10/2/07?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to be the third release of the film in R1 and the first time that content will be spread across two discs. Wish I had more information, but this is something I see as a pre-order at Columbia House and they tend not to have a lot of information on anything that they put up for pre-order until much closer to the release date.

I'm guessing they will need to reveal a lot more of Natasha in order for a lot of people to double- or triple-dip on this, right?
Old 08-07-07, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wonder if the second disk will be the bonus disk from the box set and the first disk the edition with 2 commentaries.

I have the 1 disk SE with the commentaries (and i also still have the Total movie magazine dvd with the movie on it as well) so i think this will have to be really worthwhile to double dip again.
Old 08-08-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I believe the new Direct to Video Species IV is being released that day as well.
Old 08-08-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wondered about this I noticed it recently went out of print. MGM is wonderful to make 3 different versions of this and Showgirls but does nothing with their Kubrick titles.
Old 08-08-07, 01:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I wondered about this I noticed it recently went out of print. MGM is wonderful to make 3 different versions of this and Showgirls but does nothing with their Kubrick titles.

Species and Showgirls have something the old MGM Kubricks dont have: lots of titties.
Old 08-08-07, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Species and Showgirls have something the old MGM Kubricks dont have: lots of titties.
Unfortunately for us, Kubrick learned this lesson far too late.
Old 08-09-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the stuff from the bonus disk in the box set:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/species2.html
Old 08-09-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
i wonder if the second disk will be the bonus disk from the box set and the first disk the edition with 2 commentaries.

I have the 1 disk SE with the commentaries (and i also still have the Total movie magazine dvd with the movie on it as well) so i think this will have to be really worthwhile to double dip again.

Total Movie magazine....is that the one that is now defunct? I used to love that magazine....damn it!
Old 08-09-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seeing as how the old edition is anamorphic, I don't see myself double dipping on this. The film certainly isn't good enough to warrant me spending more than the $10 I already did. Unless they have a bonus feature that includes 30 min. of Natasha topless, I don't see it being worth the $.
Old 08-09-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by harpo787
Total Movie magazine....is that the one that is now defunct? I used to love that magazine....damn it!
Yea that magazine was pretty kick ass, too bad they had to many problems running it.

Is there really an audience for yet another Species release?
Old 08-09-07, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's kind of sad the original poster artwork is not being used. And the laughable alteration made to the previous SE is somewhat expanded for the new release. I guess implied nudity,but not really showing nudity is too 'taboo' today. So the previous release added a bad half top on her. And the new cover has her in a full metalic colored dress! The new cover at least doesn't look 'that bad' in terms of the clothing design on her. But it's sad that the original poster,where she is obviously nude..but you don't see any actual nudity is probably gone for good because of the prude police.
Old 08-09-07, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy

Thats exactly what it is. No reason to buy this since I already own the box set.
Old 08-09-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I believe the new Direct to Video Species IV is being released that day as well.
Oh Jesus, No. Say it isn't so, bro.
Old 08-09-07, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy

It appears that two featurettes, Species 2: Eve of Destruction and Species 3: Genesis, are MIA. But I'll triple-dip on this since I never bought the boxed set.
Old 08-09-07, 10:03 PM

By the way, Species: The Awakening will be premier on the Sci-Fi channel September 29.
Old 08-18-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So basically, the only thing new about this release compared to anything Species related before, is there will be a small Fox logo on the back packaging.
Old 08-19-07, 12:03 AM
TRC

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
So basically, the only thing new about this release compared to anything Species related before, is there will be a small Fox logo on the back packaging.
There's a Species and Alien double feature so not even that is new.
Old 10-20-07, 12:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Did anyone verify if the 2nd disc on the new release is exactly the same as the old 4th disc in the trilogy boxset?
Old 10-20-07, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Did anyone verify if the 2nd disc on the new release is exactly the same as the old 4th disc in the trilogy boxset?
They replaced the following featurettes, "Species 2: Eve of Destruction" and "Species 3: Genesis" with the "Species 4: The Awakening Sneak Peek." And also removed the MGM preview trailers and MGM preview poster art. Other than that, the special features are the same.
Old 10-20-07, 09:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by EvlAsh
They replaced the following featurettes, "Species 2: Eve of Destruction" and "Species 3: Genesis" with the "Species 4: The Awakening Sneak Peek." And also removed the MGM preview trailers and MGM preview poster art. Other than that, the special features are the same.
Awesome thanks! The completest in me will have to keep the trilogy set then, or maybe just the 4th disc.....