Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So?
Old 08-04-07, 02:15 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
So?
I guess it's another report of DVD-isn't-large-enough. PGR4 was the first (though they are releasing a single DVD) and early, unsubstantiated rumors said the GTA4 delay may be related to this.

As long as the need to switch discs isn't too obnioxious or often, I'm okay with 2 discs (though that may make me get the game on PS3 versus 360, which would be the first time I would personally choose a multi-platform game on the PS3 over the 360). The game looks freaking sweet.

Last edited by mbs; 08-06-07 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm actually ok with the multiple disc thing. I remember back in the PS1 days, I felt like I "accomplished" something when the game alerted me to please insert disc 2. Resident Evil 4 did it right? and I think the MGS remake on the cube did it as well? As long as it's only a once or twice thing, I couldn't care less. Or in something like PGR's case, one disc held half the tracks and the other disc held the rest.

It isn't ideal, but not a biggie.
Old 08-04-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I grew up on computer games. Switching discs in a game is like 2nd nature to me. I guess on a computer it's slightly less annoying cause your so close to the machine, but I don't think I'd be annoyed as long as it's only 1 disc switch. Isn't there a 2-disc gamecube game? RE4 maybe?
Old 08-04-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Someone arguing the merits of the PS3 brought up the fact that it'd never have to do this, and my response was...."Who cares?" I don't mind switching discs - as boredsilly mentioned, it's almost an accomplishment. I remember getting excited at the end of Disc 1 of FFVII...felt like I'd completed the first section of the game. Plus it made for a cool cliffhanger.
Old 08-04-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ditto the "so?". Unless the PS3 version has far better graphics (which I doubt), I'll take the achievements and Live play with the caveat that I have to switch discs once.
Old 08-05-07, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Resident Evil 4 did it right?
RE4 did it on the gamecube for sure, but certainly on the PS2.
Old 08-05-07, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Isn't there a 2-disc gamecube game? RE4 maybe?
The RE remake, RE0, and RE4 were all 2 disc games. So was the MGS remake.

There were also plenty of 2 disc games on the PS1.

I think people complaining about 2 disc games nowadays just goes to show how lazy people have gotten if they can't even get up off their ass to swap discs once or twice in a 10+ hour game. Society gets lazier and lazier every year...
Old 08-05-07, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
The RE remake, RE0, and RE4 were all 2 disc games. So was the MGS remake.

There were also plenty of 2 disc games on the PS1.

I think people complaining about 2 disc games nowadays just goes to show how lazy people have gotten if they can't even get up off their ass to swap discs once or twice in a 10+ hour game. Society gets lazier and lazier every year...
Come to think of it wasn't Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast something ridiculous like 4 disks?
Old 08-05-07, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Legend of Dragoon on the PS1 was four disks. I'm part of the "so what" crowd, as long as the disc-switching is reasonable (i.e. you don't have to switch discs multiple times per gaming session).
Old 08-05-07, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the PGR4 talk was proven false.

Also I I could care less if a game is more than one disc.
Old 08-05-07, 06:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Legend of Dragoon on the PS1 was four disks. I'm part of the "so what" crowd, as long as the disc-switching is reasonable (i.e. you don't have to switch discs multiple times per gaming session).
There were several RPGs on the PS1 that were 4-discs, but their names escape me. I also don't care about the disc-switching.
Old 08-05-07, 06:50 AM

Fear Effect on PS1 was 4 discs. It's not like these games ever make you swap discs more than once. Far as I know they always make you reach a point in the game (about halfway point), and once you go to disc 2 you keep using it until you finish the game. Very rarely, if ever, do you have to switch more than once.
Old 08-05-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DC Skies of Arcadia was "only" 2 discs. A lot of rpgs on the PS1 were 2+ discs, like FF8 was 4 discs I think, FF7 3 discs(?), and Chrono cross was 2 discs. Tales of Symphonia (already mentioned?) was 2 discs on the GC. RE:CV was also 2 discs on the DC, I remember this cause after getting past the first disc I found my 2nd disc was stuffed, and at this time it was way past any sort of warranty!
Old 08-05-07, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Signs the PS3 is in trouble: this sort of thing is touted as a "great feature".
Old 08-05-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho

Signs the PS3 is in trouble: this sort of thing is touted as a "great feature".
I swear, that was someone's argument to me.

Him: "The games are all Blu-Ray, which means they can fit more on a disc than any other system."
Me: "So? All the other systems would need to do is make multiple disc sets."
Him: "Yeah, but the PS3 wouldn't need multiple discs, so you wouldn't have to switch them out. That's much better."
Me: "Who cares?!?!"
Old 08-05-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
All I know is this; anything from either id, Valve or Epic is worth a solid look. As far as multiple discs there was already speculation a year ago future games might have to be on multiple discs due to the amount of storage on a normal DVD disc compared to the HD/Blueray. Those fancy graphics and 5.1 sound needs lots of space. That was the one area of concern when the 360 came out was it had normal DVD player. For me it's not going to matter.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 08-05-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abrg923
I swear, that was someone's argument to me.

Him: "The games are all Blu-Ray, which means they can fit more on a disc than any other system."
Me: "So? All the other systems would need to do is make multiple disc sets."
Him: "Yeah, but the PS3 wouldn't need multiple discs, so you wouldn't have to switch them out. That's much better."
Me: "Who cares?!?!"
It's a nice feature for movies/tv shows. But I find it more of a "So what" for games. Maybe it's because I watch a lot of movies/tv on dvd laying down... so I don't want to have to get up.
Old 08-05-07, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
It's a nice feature for movies/tv shows. But I find it more of a "So what" for games. Maybe it's because I watch a lot of movies/tv on dvd laying down... so I don't want to have to get up.
Yeah but just like with DVDs they'll load HD/Blu down with extras and wasted space just to up the number of disks, so that you think you're getting some awesome deal on a set. I think that even right now with games all the extra space does is promote laziness in the programmers.
Old 08-06-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well, that pretty much rules out that game for me. I mean c'mon I already have to get up to put the disc in. It's just insane that I have to get up again, walk over to my 360, press a button, remove a disc, put it in the case, take a new disc from the case and put it in and then press the button again. Just insane. Next these game companies are going to start asking me to program the second half of the game myself.
Oh while you are up switching discs, why don't you just boot up the dev kit and program us a little ending in C-sharp? What the fuck is the industry coming to?
Old 08-06-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Oh while you are up switching discs, why don't you just boot up the dev kit and program us a little ending in C-sharp? What the fuck is the industry coming to?
Some gamers may complain about this, but you are adding literally tens of thousands of hours of "play" time to the user's experience by leaving the last part of the game dev for the user to complete. I mean, as long as the art assets and the api docs are included, what do you really have to complain about? I dunno why companies haven't thought of this before!
Old 08-06-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If the disc change is done right, this shouldn't be a big deal. This isn't like the old floppy days, where you had to swap floppies every time you transitioned between some rooms in Kings Quest 18, and had to reswap if you wanted to back track. This is just one swap, and since both discs should be bootable, you won't have to swap again unless you start the game completely over.
Old 08-06-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. Who gives a crap. But what I do want to know about is how they claim Blu-Ray is necessary - yet can ship a movie on the disc at the same time as a game (Stranglehold). Not sure if the movie is in HD - but still.
Old 08-06-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Meh. Who gives a crap. But what I do want to know about is how they claim Blu-Ray is necessary - yet can ship a movie on the disc at the same time as a game (Stranglehold). Not sure if the movie is in HD - but still.
Stranglehold is a multi-platform game so it's no bigger than 9gig. That leaves plenty of room on a BD for a HD movie (it is in HD but I don't think extras or audio format have been confirmed yet).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.