DVD Talk
Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II [Archive] - Page 5 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Ally Kat
01-09-10, 02:45 PM
Thanks Lizard & BobO'Link!! The money order was sent off yesterday, lets cross our fingers!! Even the CH representatives are stumped. Leave it to me to create DRAMA!

movieguru
01-17-10, 08:27 AM
That's a lot of titles... are you on "bill me" or do you pay with a CC?

If you're on "bill me" this can explain the lag as they'll only ship a limited amount of titles until you have a proven history of good payment. They'll wait until the "current shipment" has been paid for before sending out the next few and so on... and even when you've established "good credit" the amount out for payment tends to be limited.

I pay with a credit card. I've ordered many DVD's from them on this account over the years. Out of my collection of about 900, about 700 are from CH on this account. I've also ordered gifts from this account and some dvd's for friends or coworkers, so the number of dvd's I've received from that account are higher than 700. I have a TV account as well but don't use it too often.

I emailed CH and the response I got was that they are waiting for authorization from my credit card. This doesn't make sense because I've ordered my Funcash dvd's and place another order for the 3 for $60 Blu's and they've shipped those already and they were billed to the same credit card!!

It may be time to just start a new account or to use my tv account more since I've ordered so many from this account. I don't like to cancel and renew accounts because it takes too long to get apprvoed and I'll never be able to get as many dvd's that way.

Taboner
01-18-10, 02:34 AM
I just did the 3 BD for $60 deal with three free DVDs. My account is not fulfilled though for some reason and it needs to be by early February. What can I do to prevent them charging me? :/ WHATS WRONG :(

BobO'Link
01-18-10, 08:29 AM
^Give it a couple of days. CH is notoriously slow in updating account information. If the initial shopping cart indicated they counted then they should.

movieguru
01-18-10, 08:39 PM
So now I try to sign in and my account says "in-active" "contact customer service" Does this mean CH cancelled my membership or is there a problem with the website today?

BobO'Link
01-18-10, 09:17 PM
^It's working for me. Clear your cookies and try again. Make sure you're not inadvertently attempting to log into an old, closed, account. If it's still "inactive" then you may need to call to clear up whatever problem has you locked out.

wkkunkle
01-18-10, 11:23 PM
On my one PC that I log-into all the time, it keeps showing all of these "unhandled exception" errors for all the pages.

When I try to log-in on another computer I don't normally log-in on, I get the "account in-active" error. So, I am hoping it is just a website problem on their end ... I called on the phone to check my account with the automated service and there was no reference to anything about my account not existing or otherwise being cancelled.

If it doesn't clear up by tomorrow, I'll give them a call to see what is going on.

wkkunkle
01-19-10, 09:04 AM
Hello All ...

I placed an order at the beginning of January (Jan 1) and as of the other day, all but one of my DVDs had shipped and arrived. The last DVD showed a pending on charge on my credit card (since Jan 11) but never posted or shipped and the phone automated system said they had "no record" of that selection number (when on January 11, it had said they were waiting to ship pending credit authorization).

In any case, I emailed Customer Service and asked the STATUS of the DVD. On January 16, they emailed me back with no explanation and just said "we are processing a replacement, sorry for the inconvenience." Well, yesterday, it shows on my account online as a new "mail order" for $14.95 + $2.99 + tax for a total of like $19.06.

However, this movie was originally free with FunCash and part of another order, so all I owed was $1.99 + tax ($2.11 total) for shipping. I called Customer Service and got a lady on the phone, explained everything, and she said she had no clue why they would have placed a new order as the original was still there. She then cancelled the new order (she said).

Today, I see that the status of the original order is now "processed" when I call on the phone.

However, the replacement order is still showing on my account online (luckily it is BACK ORDERED and has not shipped or charged my account).

Should it have already updated to CANCELLED online (since it has been over 24 hours)? Or, would it take longer? I know that their web system is not real time; but, I just don't want to be shipped and charged for this replacement DVD that I never requested or authorized and have to go through the hassle of REFUSED-RETURN TO SENDERing it.

Do you think it would hurt if I called to confirm the order # was cancelled?

SMART-ASS
01-19-10, 09:16 AM
Never contact CH about your order. You will get screwed every time.

movieguru
01-19-10, 09:18 AM
^It's working for me. Clear your cookies and try again. Make sure you're not inadvertently attempting to log into an old, closed, account. If it's still "inactive" then you may need to call to clear up whatever problem has you locked out.

It's working today. There must have een something wrong with their website yesterday. I was worried they might have cancelled my accounts.

Odd though they still haven't shipped most of my order from 12/22. The only ones they've shipped are the $3.00 and $2.00 titles I added just because they were cheap.

wkkunkle
01-19-10, 09:27 AM
Never contact CH about your order. You will get screwed every time.

I know, I was naive in thinking that asking them "can you tell me the status of DVD # xxxxxxx?" would have been understandable.

The problem now is, though, I have already contacted them and they placed an unnecessary replacement order (without my authorization or request) for that particular title and phone customer service said they cancelled the order. So, do I wait another day or two to see if it shows up online as cancelled or do I call them again to verify on the phone that the order was cancelled already?

Or, do I just wait it out and send it back as "REFUSED-RETURN TO SENDER" if the unwanted replacement order eventually ships?

If they updated their website in real-time, things would be so much easier. But, alas ... I can always dream.

Watson2
01-19-10, 01:59 PM
Hello All ...

I placed an order at the beginning of January (Jan 1) and as of the other day, all but one of my DVDs had shipped and arrived. The last DVD showed a pending on charge on my credit card (since Jan 11) but never posted or shipped and the phone automated system said they had "no record" of that selection number (when on January 11, it had said they were waiting to ship pending credit authorization).

In any case, I emailed Customer Service and asked the STATUS of the DVD. On January 16, they emailed me back with no explanation and just said "we are processing a replacement, sorry for the inconvenience." Well, yesterday, it shows on my account online as a new "mail order" for $14.95 + $2.99 + tax for a total of like $19.06.

However, this movie was originally free with FunCash and part of another order, so all I owed was $1.99 + tax ($2.11 total) for shipping. I called Customer Service and got a lady on the phone, explained everything, and she said she had no clue why they would have placed a new order as the original was still there. She then cancelled the new order (she said).

Today, I see that the status of the original order is now "processed" when I call on the phone.

However, the replacement order is still showing on my account online (luckily it is BACK ORDERED and has not shipped or charged my account).

Should it have already updated to CANCELLED online (since it has been over 24 hours)? Or, would it take longer? I know that their web system is not real time; but, I just don't want to be shipped and charged for this replacement DVD that I never requested or authorized and have to go through the hassle of REFUSED-RETURN TO SENDERing it.

Do you think it would hurt if I called to confirm the order # was cancelled?

Listen to SMART-ASS. This happened to me a few months ago, they rewrote an order (I too canceled it) and wound up REFUSED-RETURN when it arrived. I did get dinged shipping but decided to cut my losses.

EDIT: In my case a B1G1 during a FS weekend was replaced with a B1+60% with no FS. If I were you I'd wait and REFUSE it if it comes and DON'T contact them again unless they charge you shipping and your determined to get it back. Good luck.

wkkunkle
01-19-10, 02:03 PM
Listen to SMART-ASS. This happened to me a few months ago, they rewrote an order (I too canceled it) and wound up REFUSED-RETURN when it arrived. I did get dinged shipping but decided to cut my losses.

Thanks for the first-hand experience with the same issue, Watson2.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they actually cancelled the order and the website just hasn't been updated yet ... but, if not, I'll only be out $3.17 for shipping if I have to do REFUSED-RETURN TO SENDER on it.

I just can't comprehend how they interpret "can you tell me the status of dvd # of order #?" as "place another order even though the first order is fine."

Thanks again.

BobO'Link
01-19-10, 06:04 PM
On my one PC that I log-into all the time, it keeps showing all of these "unhandled exception" errors for all the pages...
Clear your cookies. I get this occasionally when I've used a code that's "wonky" or several in a row checking for the best deal. You'll get a page with that error and a link to log in again. The cycle repeats until cookies are cleared. If you're using FF you can just search for cookies with "columbia" and leave the rest. If you're using IE you'll probably have to clear them all. I don't think IE (even 8, but I've not used that one yet) allows selective cookie deletion.

wkkunkle
01-19-10, 08:03 PM
Clear your cookies. I get this occasionally when I've used a code that's "wonky" or several in a row checking for the best deal. You'll get a page with that error and a link to log in again. The cycle repeats until cookies are cleared. If you're using FF you can just search for cookies with "columbia" and leave the rest. If you're using IE you'll probably have to clear them all. I don't think IE (even 8, but I've not used that one yet) allows selective cookie deletion.

It actually started working again on its own, without the need to clear my cookies. It has happened before and I just assumed they were doing work on the site or something. :-)

The same time the other computer that kept telling me "account in-active" finally let me log-in, my normal PC that I use stopped giving the "unhandled exception" errors and the pages just started loading properly again.

Thanks. :-)

bahgee
01-22-10, 01:00 PM
whats the best advice if you havent received an order that was shipped 12/28/09?

BobO'Link
01-22-10, 08:35 PM
^Wait until 1/28/10. They'll not do anything for 30 days.

rider555
02-08-10, 05:18 PM
I have a couple of alternate selection vouchers.On the back,it says that the address to mail them to is
Customer Service Center
P.O.Box 91602
Indianapolis IN 46291

The mailing envelope for their bills has this address on it:
PO Box 660882
Dallas TX 75266

Just want to make sure that I send my vouchers to the correct one.Come to think of it..is there a way that I can get my alternate selections ordered online?

wkkunkle
02-08-10, 05:26 PM
^ That is their Customer Service Address; so, that is probably where the vouchers need to go to to claim them. A lot of companies have separate addresses/departments for bill payment processing (not sure though, as I have never mailed a payment in to them).

But, it's probably best to wait for someone who has redeemed a voucher to chime in. :)

lizard
02-09-10, 12:36 PM
^^If you are talking about what we call "rain checks" (vouchers for enrollment titles), the best thing to do is to call or e-mail them in. Your account will show that you are owed DVDs, the piece of paper is completely unnecessary. Just say that you have the vouchers and you would like to use them on "selection number XXXX" and so forth. If they were for enrollment titles, as is usually the case, they can only be used for DVDs available for enrollment, although you can try to persuade a CSR to let you have a DVD not available for enrollment.

rider555
02-12-10, 01:12 AM
I did as you suggest and I am guessing it worked;

Dear Member,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are currently processing your order for the following selection(s):

ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE WORLD
ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM

Most orders are received within 3 weeks from the ship date. You can
review the status of your order by accessing your Order History at
www.columbiahouse.com.

If we may be of further service, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
Lesley
Customer Service

Watson2
02-12-10, 12:24 PM
Has anyone else received a Directors Selection email for a DS you've already responded to?

lizard
02-12-10, 02:11 PM
Has anyone else received a Directors Selection email for a DS you've already responded to?Yes, I often decline a DS before Columbia House sends the e-mail reminder. The e-mails are automated and do not mean that you need to decline the DS again.

lizard
02-28-10, 02:34 PM
[Extracted from the sale offer code thread, since this discussion is off topic there.]I'm not confusing it, I was just making a point. If duplicating a CD costs 25 cents to manufacture that still translates to huge profit for the distributor, vs. $25 to duplicate.You appear confused as to what sort of DVDs Columbia House sells. There was some talk years ago about CH making their own CDs but, whether or not that was true, it most definitely is not the case for DVDs and BDs. Columbia House buys and sells the same packaged DVDs and Blu-ray Discs sold by any other retailer. They buy them at wholesale and market them through their "club" membership structure.

Some years ago a Columbia House insider reported that the cost for typical DVDs was in the $3 range; it might be a bit less now. However, even if the average DVD cost is less than $3, that doesn't mean that they make money on those of us who have been cycling accounts at an average cost of $4.80 per DVD. That's because CH has a lot of other overhead costs to factor in, such as shipping, packaging, warehouse facilities, employees' pay, and the like. It is likely that CH does not make money on those of us who efficiently cycle accounts. This may be why they are tightening up on their use of sale offers. How this will affect their business with their average customers remains to be seen but the business news suggests that CH has been losing money for some time. Many of us here have long wondered how long CH can hold on with its current business model.
The blu-ray club was started in Canada a long time ago. They don't need to start one in the U.S. as long as large numbers of people keep joining and buying DVDs from the regular club.Columbia House Canada is a completely separate entity from the USA company (which is owned by a private investment group under the name Direct Brands, Inc.). Columbia House (USA) did have an enrollment offer with Blu-ray Discs that appeared to test the concept of a BD club, but nothing has come of it thus far. It was a poor deal by our standards here.

The notion that "large numbers of people keep joining and buying DVDs from the regular club" is wild speculation on your part. With the general slowing of DVD sales in recent years, as well as the sharp drop in prices at retail sales outlets, it seems likely that CH is hurting, which may be why they are shaking things up (yes, I am speculating also). Why CH didn't jump on the growing BD market with a BD enrollment club is a mystery. Perhaps they couldn't find a way to do it profitably or, perhaps, the studios wouldn't give them contracts to use BDs as enrollments, as they do with DVDs (these contracts are why there is usually a delay after release before a DVD can be used as an enrollment promotion).

Nevertheless, CH has been pretty aggressive about adding Blu-ray Discs to their catalog, which suggests that they realize that more and more customers are making the switch and that there may be more money to be made from BDs than DVDs (which have smaller margins).

WMAangel
02-28-10, 03:45 PM
[Extracted from the sale offer code thread, since this discussion is off topic there.]

Good idea...I'll do the same to my last response as well and put it here:

OOPS! I did a quick google looking for actual numbers and those were high on the list. I failed to notice the year! BUT it's not really much better this year. 15% for the 2009 Holiday season ending Jan 3rd 2010 (http://www.blu-raystats.com/NewsLog/2010/01/13/blu-ray-sales-set-new-records-through-holiday-season/). Homemedia Magazine (http://www.homemediamagazine.com/) shows the Total Package media sales percentages for the week ending Feb 21 as 92% DVD/8% BR. You also have to take into account that those numbers show an increase of BR sales compared to a year ago, a larger increase than "standard" DVD, but still nothing spectacular.

Good grief...why, oh why, does EVERY single discussion about Blu-ray on this site (except in the HD Talk area) always somehow end up with someone wanting to take some statistics (which can seemingly always be made and manipulated by both sides to look in their favor) to dismiss it??

Go back and reread my posts...never once did I say that BD (the proper acronym is BD, not "BR") is the sales juggernaut that will soon be in every single home and completely displace DVD...that was NOT my argument at all...I did not mention any rate, or its relative success to DVD! I merely stated the obvious fact that the BD market is growing! It doesn't take facts and figures to see this either....go into any retail establishment that sells movies (Best Buy, Target, etc.) and tell me whether or not the BD section has expanded over the course of the past year...

I was also not saying that CH should eliminate their DVD club and replace it with a BD one....I was merely stating they should create and offer an additional club for BD, as that is an increasing area of growth that they should take advantage of while they can...
This whole debate began because someone else said CH doesn't need a BD club is "as long as large numbers of people keep joining and buying DVDs from the regular club"....my response has always been that one has nothing to do with the other and that argument makes no sense from an economic and business standpoint, as it is ignoring potential profit they could be making by having one that serves this growing market....even if the DVD club is still going gangbusters for them, they could potentially make even more money if it is financially viable for them to offer a BD club...I'm not their CEO/CFO, I don't know what all their costs are and if a BD club would even be fiscally practical for them, but no one else here is capable of knowing this either....however, considering they were able to launch their DVD club in 1997 when that market was way smaller than the BD one is now, I'd imagine they could find a way to make it work....

Factual errors notwithstanding, there is still significantly less penetration than DVD during the same time frame following product introduction.

Notwithstanding? That article wanted to compare the same "first five full year" period of market penetration and then went and used TWO AND A HALF YEARS for BD in which it wasn't even yet available! BD hasn't been available for five years yet....no wonder those stats look so good!! DVD stats wouldn't look so hot if I used 1995, 1996, and 1997 for their stats either! You can't compare 1998-2002 for DVD to 2003-2008 for BD when the first BD player was not sold in the US until mid-2006!!!

Regardless, BDs numbers will never grow as quick as DVDs for the simple fact that Blu-ray requires an additional prerequisite hardware investment above and beyond the player....even now, coming up on four years into the format, the whole market for BD is still not even half the size of the same one DVD had at its launch....

And that comment was what truly precipitated my response and a quick look for numbers...

I guess the word you actually have an issue with is "many"....since that can mean thousands to you and maybe only dozens to me....would you have been happier if I had said "multiple" or "some" instead?

You see, people on this forum are not a true barometer of the general buying public.

I never said they were....

Until the "average" purchaser is buying more BR than DVD you'll most likely not see a BR only club.

CH launched its DVD club in 1997...were people buying more DVDs at that time than VHS?

So, yes, you *do* need numbers from CH showing BR vs. DVD sales before you make such a blanket statement.

No, I don't, because:
1. CH sales numbers comparing their own sales on each format doesn't have anything to do with whether or not there are people who now only purchase BDs and no longer purchase DVDs...
2. I am not the only person here who has stated this buying preference...numerous other people here have also posted as such...that was the WHOLE POINT of my initial response to all this...

skidmark
02-28-10, 06:00 PM
... and he still doesn't have a clue regarding the difference between manufacturing v. distribution ...

lizard
03-05-10, 09:56 AM
I have a problem. Please forgive me if i have posted this in the wrong section. My debit card on file for Columbiahouse has expired (in 09) but my numbers stayed the same on my new card. Now, I forgot to cancel a director's selection (for the first time ever, I'm usually on top of things) and I got billed to my new card for the dvd. Is there a way to cancel my card on file and just pay with a money order or something? I HATE when someone takes money out of my account, when I'm not aware of it, especially when the card on file expired months ago. By the way I fulfilled my account years ago. I am just staying active for the deals. Is there a way to stop the directors selection of the month once, instead of every month? Thanks so much in advance.If you call or e-mail Columbia House you can ask to have your account switched to "bill me" and have the card deleted from the account.

It has been reported that the phone numbers have been changed and that the toll free numbers no longer work, but I haven't tried to call them recently. So far as I am aware, the e-mail address is the same: dvd@columbiahouse.com

wkkunkle
03-05-10, 10:04 AM
The new number is 717-918-3232 if you want to call.

lizard
03-05-10, 10:09 AM
TV Show sets are always overpriced at columbia.Hardly. If you buy sets as enrollments, assuming that they are available, some can be a good deal. If you factor in fulfillment credit and buy sets in the right price range, and use them in a B1G1F offer to get a high value DVD for free, they can also be a good deal. Sets in certain price ranges are better deals than others; lower priced sets tend to not be good deals if the "special" price is below $19.95, since they can't be used for fulfillment credit.

To get good deals at Columbia House one needs to view a membership as a package and do the arithmetic. It isn't like buying at a retail store. Given the recent changes, it is uncertain whether the deals we have had in the past will be available in the future — the HDL enrollment code is gone, for example — but to make a blanket statement that "TV Show sets are always overpriced" is flat wrong. Depends on how you do the math.

Sweet Baby James
03-05-10, 10:18 AM
To get good deals at Columbia House one needs to view a membership as a package and do the arithmetic.

Indeed. Quite a few people seem to conveniently forget about the enrollment titles that they got for practically nothing.

BobO'Link
03-05-10, 12:01 PM
In order for a selection to count toward your Purchase Commitment it
must have a regular Club price of $19.95 or higher. Collections and
some special selections may be priced somewhat higher and will count
toward your Purchase Commitment as follows:

$19.95 to $39.94 1 Selection
$39.95 to $59.94 2 Selections
$59.95 to $79.94 3 Selections
$79.95 to $99.94 4 Selections
$99.95 and Higher 5 Selections
*bolding by me*

I'd like to know what the "regular Club price" is when looking at a selection after the site design. All the box sets now show "Club Price" where the MSRP once was. This brings into play the possibility that a box set at 40% off "on sale" for under $19.95 may count as a fulfillment. If so, this'll add lots of titles that previously didn't qualify.

Has anyone with an unfulfilled account ordered a set that could fall under these conditions and know whether or not it counted?

Watson2
03-05-10, 02:16 PM
If you call or e-mail Columbia House you can ask to have your account switched to "bill me" and have the card deleted from the account.

I called about three weeks ago to switch my account to 'bill me', after I decided to close the credit card account, CSR said no problem. The next week I got a somewhat nasty letter stating that I started the account with a cc and had to keep it that way.

The New CH, needless to say I closed that account.

wkkunkle
03-05-10, 02:28 PM
^ I started my account with a credit card years ago and switched to "bill me" almost immediately thereafter without any problems. Maybe just another glitch in the system.

I've only ever had one account though .. never did cycling and such ... but doubt that matters.

lizard
03-05-10, 05:12 PM
^^Interesting. With the new Columbia House we will have to learn the quirks all over again. And we need more data points, so I hope that folks here will continue to post their findings and experiences for others to learn from. I think we got spoiled by how predictable CH was in its strangeness.

lizard
03-05-10, 05:35 PM
I'd like to know what the "regular Club price" is when looking at a selection after the site design. All the box sets now show "Club Price" where the MSRP once was. This brings into play the possibility that a box set at 40% off "on sale" for under $19.95 may count as a fulfillment. If so, this'll add lots of titles that previously didn't qualify.

Has anyone with an unfulfilled account ordered a set that could fall under these conditions and know whether or not it counted?One annoying thing about the new site is that it doesn't seem to show the commitment credit value of a title in the cart. That makes it hard to figure whether something counts for fulfillment or not. I hope that they add the commitment credit feature back to the cart.

BobO'Link
03-05-10, 06:02 PM
^Ditto. I'd like to do another TVonDVD as the initial offer really didn't change *too* much towards the negative as the regular DVD club did. But it'd sure be nice to know about those fulfillments without having to take a risk on a title that previously *would* count but not might not or especially one that previously did *not* count now would.

erikthedude
03-05-10, 06:17 PM
^ What I've noticed is that if you use a b1g1 and your free dvd club price is over $19.95 then the item you buy should act as a fulfillment. This might be a fluke, but yesterday I got Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray and Gone with the Wind Special Edition with shipping for $16.94 using the b1g1. I don't know why it worked because the club price was for Dawn of the Dead $15.95, but I looked today and it said I had fulfilled my account. This is why I think it all matters about the price of the free dvd, because it was $24.95. I would imagine this would be the same for sets.

BobO'Link
03-05-10, 07:20 PM
^That's just totally screwed up... DOTD should *never* count as a fulfillment, nor should it have earned GWTW as a "free" title as its' "club price" is far less than GWTW.

What was the total breakout for that order? Shipping *should* have been $4.98 for those 2 titles which means $11.96 for DOTD w/GWTW "free".

It appears that you found a excellent glitch for yourself... It bears watching for possible repeats.

Watson2
03-06-10, 07:33 AM
TV Club strangeness

My account is showing fulfilled with the following two orders:

19.95 + 0.00 + 4.98 -> b1g1 + shipping

7.48 + 7.48 + 4.98 -> 50% sale + shipping

I wouldn't have thought that last order wouldn't count as a fulfillment but I guess it does, $19.94 total scoring 4 bonus points. Maybe there going by point totals?

wkkunkle
03-06-10, 09:49 AM
^ When I fulfilled my DVD club years ago, I did it using % off sales, etc. (before I found this site here and discovered the even better deals! LOL!).

At the time, my selections would show up on my account / in my cart with thing such as "0.33" fulfillment ... so I had like 12 titles fulfill my purchase instead of 2 because they were all discounted titles ...

It isn't a rule listed anywhere on the site (wasn't then, nor is it now) ... but, apparently it still works.

lizard
03-06-10, 06:48 PM
^Or, perhaps, as erikthedude suggests: the freebie is counting as a fulfillment because the usual price is over $19.95.

Wouldn't that be an interesting glitch?!

erikthedude
03-06-10, 08:06 PM
What was the total breakout for that order? Shipping *should* have been $4.98 for those 2 titles which means $11.96 for DOTD w/GWTW "free".

Ya DOTD was $11.96 plus $4.98 shipping.

Another weird thing I did on my fullfilled TV account was I bought Romancing the Stone Blu and got Being There Blu for free using a B1G1. The total with shipping was $17.69. For some reason Being There is processing like it's a dvd, but the picture is a Blu-ray and the club price was $28.95. It said is backorderd but I imagine I'll eventually get it.

lizard
05-04-10, 11:28 AM
I keep hearing a lot of people say that they fulfill their membership and then cancel and rejoin. Just wondering what the benefits of this are and will they definitely take you back? I have been a Columbia House member for over 3 years now with the same account. I didn't know you could do this. Thanks!While it is possible that Columbia House will no longer allow cycling of accounts, given the major changes to their website and enrollment procedures, in the past it hasn't been a problem. I've had more than eighty accounts over the last decade. So long as one limited open accounts to no more than two per type (DVD club and TV Edition of the DVD club), Columbia House didn't have a problem with closing fulfilled accounts and opening new ones.

In recent years cycling accounts, using the best enrollment codes and fulfilling with a B1G1F + free shipping sale offer, led to an average DVD cost of $4.85. Over time, however, it became difficult to open new accounts for those of us who had dozens of previous accounts. It could still be done, it was just difficult and took repeated attempts.

Now, with the completely revamped website, it is unclear if we will be allowed to cycle accounts as before, given that there is only one enrollment link that gives the best enrollment:fulfillment deal, if you can get it to work (every time I try to add a DVD to the cart it reverts to the crappy standard deal Edit: works ok on Firefox but not on IE for me). Another difficulty is a dearth of B1G1F + FS sale offers for fulfillment at a good price. The recent development that allows an account to be fulfilled with a single B1G1F purchase is probably a glitch, and will likely be fixed.

A greater problem with cycling accounts for many Columbia House veterans here is that we have switched to Blu-ray Discs and don't need or want any more DVDs. There is no decent Blu-ray Disc only club. That leaves us having to buy a bunch of DVDs just to get a couple of BDs, which is way more trouble than it is worth, even if they still had good sale offers for BDs, which they don't.

If you are still interested in building a DVD collection then cycling accounts until Columbia House makes it difficult may still be the most cost effective strategy. However, DVDs are so cheap at other places, such as Amazon, DD, and even Wal-mart, that one has to consider whether it is worth the bother. With the recent B1G1F-counts-for-two fulfillments glitch, the answer is probably yes. Without that glitch, maybe not. That's up to you.

Average cost analysis of cycling:

Enrollment code 1556 (7:2) plus B1G1F counts for two glitch:

Enrollment: 6 x 49˘ + $9.95 = $12.89 (7 DVDs)
Fulfillment: $19.95 + (free DVD) + $4.98 shipping = $24.93 (2 DVDs)
Total: $12.89 + $24.93 = $37.82 (9 DVDs)

Average cost per DVD: $37.82/9 = $4.20

Enrollment code 1556 (7:2) plus standard fulfillment using B1G1F, no free shipping:

Enrollment: 6 x 49˘ + $9.95 = $12.89 (7 DVDs)
Fulfillment: $19.95 + (free DVD) $19.95 + (free DVD) + $8.96 shipping = $48.86 (4 DVDs)
Total: $12.89 + $48.86 = $61.79 (11 DVDs)

Average cost per DVD: $61.79/11 = $5.61

As you can see, $5.61 is still an ok deal, especially if one selects relatively new titles that aren't available for $5 or less at stores. If one fulfills with SEs that cost more than $19.95, the average cost of DVDs in a membership would be a bit higher.

riotinmyskull
05-04-10, 11:36 AM
^ i've cycled 3 accounts since the switch over...

BobO'Link
05-04-10, 05:50 PM
^^And if you're more interested in TV seasons the TVonDVD club can net season sets at ~$16/each or less depending on just how you fulfill. The one I just fulfilled netted 3 season sets for $47.87 *total* for a $15.96 per set average.

creekdipper
05-05-10, 06:32 PM
Question: Do I trust the Order History information or Email from Club?

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a set (Dirty Harry Collection for $20.97) plus several DVDs at $7.95 each plus a free DVD. Today I got an email saying that the free DVD & a $7.95 one were being canceled due to being "no longer available". However, my order history indicates that they are both out of stock but are expected to be back in stock on 5/17.

It's too late tonight to call a CSR & ask...and they probably wouldn't know for sure anyway. Even though the email says that I 'won't be charged' for the 'unavailable' discs (which, of course, are still listed on the website), that obviously doesn't help when a DVD is FREE. For that matter, it doesn't help when one is trying to figure out an average-per-disc cost and is counting on sale selections to make the deal a good one.

Anyone else have recent experience with this? If the DVDs truly aren't available any more (which would be odd, since they just came out the week they were ordered), I would expect them to offer to substitute other selections...which would not be a good solution but better than losing out altogether on a cheap(er) new release along with a 'free' new release.

BobO'Link
05-05-10, 09:24 PM
^It can take a few days for the site to fully update. Even from an email communication. I'd wait a few days to see what, if anything, changes on the site information. In the past it's not been uncommon for titles to still show up even though their stock was exhausted (due to slow site updating). With your account information indicating they're "backordered" along with a ship date I'd lean towards that being accurate... but... it's CH after all. The kings of bad information. If it turns out they are permanently OOS and the "free" one was because of the order I'd press to get another "free" title in its place unless the other OOS title is the one that earned the "free" one. If the "free" one was due to a FC purchase, they should put that back in your account when it all shakes out.

lizard
05-23-10, 11:57 AM
Really? I've cycled memberships for ten years now, and haven't seen this...are there any other threads posts discussing this? I figured you could count on >=$39.95 charges counting for 2 and >=$59.95 charges counting for three... TIA

yes there is something on it from their own site...

"Each DVD you buy priced $19.95 or higher counts as one unit toward fulfilling your purchase commitment. Certain higher-priced selections may count as more than one unit and we'll always let you know when they do."

As I read it, the only certainty is the one unit for $19.95 and higher. After that the operative word is "may".Having inaccurate or incomplete "help" on the CH website is nothing new. I have no reason to believe that the fulfillment credit schedule is different from what it has long been:

Selections purchased at $19.95 to $39.94 count for one
Selections purchased at $39.95 to $59.94 count for two
Selections purchased at $59.95 to $79.94 count for three
Selections purchased at $79.95 to $99.94 count for four
Selections purchased at $99.95 and higher count for five
[Source, a CH catalog from several years ago.]

Until I see some evidence that the fulfillment credit schedule has changed, I'm going to assume that it has not.

logitrax
05-23-10, 02:25 PM
Having inaccurate or incomplete "help" on the CH website is nothing new. I have no reason to believe that the fulfillment credit schedule is different from what it has long been:

[Source, a CH catalog from several years ago.]

Until I see some evidence that the fulfillment credit schedule has changed, I'm going to assume that it has not.

In trying to respond to an email I sent, Columbia sent me a fulfillment schedule today (even though it had nothing to do with my question, lol):

"$19.95 to $39.94 1 Selection
$39.95 to $59.94 2 Selections
$59.95 to $79.94 3 Selections
$79.95 to $99.94 4 Selections
$99.95 and Higher 5 Selections"

So it is still the same, as Lizard said. Also, for creekdipper...the (Ultimate) Dirty Harry Collection for $20.97 is in fact in-stock. That had been a BOGO order for me around the same time you're saying you placed yours...shipped with no delays. Unless I'd ordered their last copy...?!

wkkunkle
05-25-10, 07:48 AM
Just wanted to say "thanks" to those who had mentioned they emailed customer service and asked for the Director's Selection to be permanently removed from their account (defaulted to "no" or however they do it).

Shot off an email yesterday requesting them to default all future Director's Selections to "no" and got an email back today saying it was done and that I'll no longer have to respond to them. Just logged in on the website and saw that "Director's Selection" is no longer an option on my menu.

In all the years I have been a member, I don't recall ever actually buying the director's selection (at least when it was offered as the director's selection). :)

Thanks again, everyone. :D

hindolio
07-10-10, 10:45 PM
welp, ive had issues with one of my accounts recently. i received the dreaded directors selection although i declined it online. i emailed them and stated so, and did the return to sender. ill await and deal with getting a refund. my question is...

i can no longer log in to that account - site says that my account has been suspended. but i think i still have one commitment to fill. so what now? am i clear or will ch go after me? :helpme:

SMART-ASS
07-11-10, 12:55 AM
When it says your account is "suspended", that means it's closed.
Since CH revamped the site earlier this year, every account I have cycled has the suspended moniker
attached to it when trying to login after it's closed.
Even if it may be closed, you may have still paid for the director's selection.
However, you may just want to leave well enough alone at this point.

hindolio
07-11-10, 08:21 PM
^ thank smarty-pants! i figured as much and id give it a 50/50 if i get a refund or not.

my bigger concern is that im not on any black list because i have my sights on some tv sets :D

BobO'Link
07-22-10, 07:51 PM
I just got a "your order has shipped" email from CH which had me do the standard chuckle at first simply because I typically get the email the day the package arrives in the post.

Today, however, was different. There was a *tracking* link for the package!?! I clicked it only to find that the package arrived at the area hub yesterday which means I should get it tomorrow. Who would have thought? CH using tracking... *and* finally getting a "shipped" email out *before* the package arrives. Wonders never cease...

SMART-ASS
07-22-10, 08:14 PM
Yup!
I got one of those emails with tracking numbers a few weeks ago, and then again just today.
So this is something new they are doing that is actually good.

Subgeniusguy
07-23-10, 01:30 PM
5tp -59453w4o309308 r484er9 ue 4ru3b 43743 72376326328532 3ytt43 637436t3263425 e3t3r4356rr54 gw5r3 u23 47347y3 y76t3532 ye3w7y637 64 yhe3wyt3w3672

Subgeniusguy
07-23-10, 01:32 PM
5tp -59453w4o309308 r484er9 ue 4ru3b 43743 72376326328532 3ytt43 637436t3263425 e3t3r4356rr54 gw5r3 u23 47347y3 y76t3532 ye3w7y637 64 yhe3wyt3w3672

y 560 657i8906 ikri 3e8u894 4u8437u39 3uje uw3 84r4ej iurue48r58e48ew uye 3uwy2 b 7y6327252 t

SMART-ASS
07-23-10, 02:23 PM
Are we speaking in code now?!?!?? :confused:

g
07-23-10, 03:14 PM
They are also showing some dvd's to be out of stock on the site. They never did this before either. And when they think it will be available to ship when you add it to the cart.

Jedi Master 33
07-23-10, 06:40 PM

y 560 657i8906 ikri 3e8u894 4u8437u39 3uje uw3 84r4ej iurue48r58e48ew uye 3uwy2 b 7y6327252 t

rider555
07-31-10, 02:29 PM
I just checked my account and it shows;

Current Balance: $0.99
Pay Now

You have purchased 1 DVDs at regular club price. You need to purchase 1 more by Oct 5, 2009

Why the hell have they not been sending me letters about this,or emailing or even threatening to hand it over to collection agency?
They certainly never would have done this when I was in their CD club.

rider555
08-10-10, 06:18 PM
How long should one wait til they create a second account?

BuckNaked2k
08-10-10, 06:21 PM
How long should one wait til they create a second account?You are allowed 2 DVD + 2 TV accounts per address.

rider555
08-10-10, 07:28 PM
Yes,I know that.I just opened a TV account a week and a half a go and would like to open another.Too soon?

BuckNaked2k
08-10-10, 08:47 PM
Yes, I know that. I just opened a TV account a week and a half a go and would like to open another. Too soon?Not at all.

Sweet Baby James
08-10-10, 10:58 PM
Yes,I know that.I just opened a TV account a week and a half a go and would like to open another.Too soon?

I opened two TV accounts on the same day two weeks ago to take advantage of the BOGO with free shipping code that was going to expire. No problems with either account whatsoever.

rider555
08-10-10, 11:58 PM
Cool.Thanks for the info.

rider555
08-11-10, 05:06 PM
Okay...I enrolled for a second account in the DVD club.After entering all of my personal info,and clicking on comlete enrollment,instead of saying "welcome to the club",it showed something or other about reviewing and processing your enrollment...Also,I did not receive a "welcome to the club"email.
Oh yeah,I went to log in,and it tells me that the user name and/or password are incorrect(though I am 100% sure that I did enter the correct user name and password)

A few minutes later,I cleared cookies and enrolled for second account in the DVD club,this time using my brothers name and address.I did receive the welcome email for that account and I can log in.

???????

jwstl
08-11-10, 05:42 PM
Okay...I enrolled for a second account in the DVD club.After entering all of my personal info,and clicking on comlete enrollment,instead of saying "welcome to the club",it showed something or other about reviewing and processing your enrollment...Also,I did not receive a "welcome to the club"email.
Oh yeah,I went to log in,and it tells me that the user name and/or password are incorrect(though I am 100% sure that I did enter the correct user name and password)

A few minutes later,I cleared cookies and enrolled for second account in the DVD club,this time using my brothers name and address.I did receive the welcome email for that account and I can log in.

???????

I had the same problem trying to open a second TV account. I wasn't sure if it went through so I called to find out exactly how many accounts I had. They confirmed I only had the one and also confirmed I would have been asked for a credit card had it gone through. If you don't get to that step it didn't work. I tried again using different browsers and different computers but nothing worked. I have a PO Box for work so, remembering that CH ships via the USPS, I opened an account using that address and it went through instantly.

inksketcher
08-15-10, 07:03 PM
I recently ordered Clash of the Titans BR along with a DVD on a BOGO offer. I got an e-mail saying Titans was backordered a couple days later. I received the free DVD and a few days after that I got a post card in the mail saying Titans was not available through the club. I looked at my order history and it shows Titans was cancelled and the DVD as shipped.

Anyone else have these issues with Titan BR?

Nickofdoom
08-16-10, 06:25 PM
I had the same problem trying to open a second TV account. I wasn't sure if it went through so I called to find out exactly how many accounts I had. They confirmed I only had the one and also confirmed I would have been asked for a credit card had it gone through. If you don't get to that step it didn't work. I tried again using different browsers and different computers but nothing worked. I have a PO Box for work so, remembering that CH ships via the USPS, I opened an account using that address and it went through instantly.

I had the same problem twice, it's odd, never had a problem before

dadaluholla
08-17-10, 09:36 AM
I recently ordered Clash of the Titans BR along with a DVD on a BOGO offer. I got an e-mail saying Titans was backordered a couple days later. I received the free DVD and a few days after that I got a post card in the mail saying Titans was not available through the club. I looked at my order history and it shows Titans was cancelled and the DVD as shipped.

Anyone else have these issues with Titan BR?

Yeah the exact same thing happened to me.

DVDquestion
08-25-10, 10:42 PM
Is there a way that I can OPT IN and pay the Club Price? This way the purchase can count towards my fulfillment. I would like to do this online. Is there a way to do this on the website?

BobO'Link
08-26-10, 04:47 PM
^??? What do you mean by "Opt In"?

DVDquestion
08-26-10, 05:57 PM
Sorry, I mean, can I choose to pay the "club price" instead of the "sale price?"

So if the club price is $21.95 and the sale price is $11.95, can I choose to pay the club price? When I add something to my cart it automatically marks it down to the sale price. Is there a way to opt to pay the higher club price? On the website?

I'd like to pay the club price so I can get both my fulfilment and have it qualify for the BOGO.

skidmark
08-26-10, 06:00 PM
There used to be a drop down option to select how many titles on your order would count toward your commitment, but I don't see it on my unfulfilled account. Of course, I could be missing it.

BobO'Link
08-26-10, 06:34 PM
^If it's still there I'm missing it as well. It must be the new way of encouraging you to purchase more discounted titles instead of fulfilling.

rider555
08-28-10, 07:01 PM
Why isn't there an option for "bill me" when I check out?

dadaluholla
08-28-10, 09:26 PM
Why isn't there an option for "bill me" when I check out?

Did you pay by credit card when you orginally enrolled? If so, there's not going to be a "BILL ME" option when checking out. You can contact customer service to see if they can add it for you, but half the time they have no clue what you're talking about.

rider555
08-29-10, 12:09 AM
Yes,I paid by credit card when I enrolled.

Well,poop.One moment I am loving CH and the next..

What are some good sets to fulfill with?I have one account that needs 2 more titles purchased and another that needs 3.

That'sAllFolks
08-29-10, 11:24 AM
This may have been addressed. I just don't feel like reading pages of this thread.

I have requested that my account be order-only, which means that I will not receive director's selections.

However, the CSR said this would ONLY last 6 months and if at the end of six months, I made no purchases, than my account would automatically revert back to having director's selections. Just be aware that this could happen so you don't get any unwanted director's selections.

Also, the CSR said I didn't have to have a CC on my account since it was so old. I asked her to take off the CC's. She did say that a CC is required now (I last opened an account in December 2008), but wasn't then, so YMMV.

rider555
09-03-10, 08:53 PM
I received a commitment fulfillment order form.I am supposed to write in the selection number and mail it in along with a check or money order,or give'em my cc info.

I would like to just log in and pay the $22.98 that I owe(1 title plus shipping).If I do this,than how do I get the title that they owe me(since I'll be doing things backwards and paying for a title before I order it)?

lizard
09-04-10, 11:51 AM
^I don't think that is possible but you could call and ask. Or try it and see, although I wouldn't risk it. Is there a reason you don't want to order a DVD now?

It would have been better to use a B1G1F offer to get two DVDs but that isn't usually possible once you've let your account get past the commitment date.

BuckNaked2k
09-16-10, 08:53 PM
Will CH forward shipments to a new address on file at the USPS, or do they get returned?

Sweet Baby James
09-16-10, 09:42 PM
Will CH forward shipments to a new address on file at the USPS, or do they get returned?

When I was juggling multiple accounts, I signed up using my sister's home address so that I wouldn't exceed the 2 accounts per address rule. I then had my fulfillments mailed to my address without any problems.

BuckNaked2k
09-16-10, 10:06 PM
When I was juggling multiple accounts, I signed up using my sister's home address so I wouldn't exceed the 2 accounts per address rule. I then had my fulfillments mailed to my address without any problems.Yea, I used my mother's address as she's staying with me for the summer, and was hoping it would get forwarded along with the rest of her mail. I was just worried about the "return service requested", on all the boxes.

rcbrad
09-21-10, 08:21 PM
I spent some time trying to find out how to cancel the tv club. It seems that you can no longer cancel online or call the toll free number as per info listed previously. I do not have a LD plan to call the CS line that is not a toll free number. Is there still a toll free number? Can you cancel online?

I was thinking about re joining the TV club, now that they have a better choice of enrollment selections.

thanks for any help!

Sweet Baby James
09-21-10, 10:21 PM
I spent some time trying to find out how to cancel the tv club. It seems that you can no longer cancel online or call the toll free number as per info listed previously. I do not have a LD plan to call the CS line that is not a toll free number. Is there still a toll free number? Can you cancel online?

I was thinking about re joining the TV club, now that they have a better choice of enrollment selections.

thanks for any help!

You can cancel online and they usually do it within the hour. Click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. In the Request Type drop down box, choose My Account. In the next drop down box, choose Canceling Your Account. Then just write a note stating that you have already completed your purchase agreement and would now like to cancel. I've cancelled a couple of TV accounts in the past two weeks and got rapid fire response.

rcbrad
09-22-10, 05:26 PM
You can cancel online and they usually do it within the hour. Click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. In the Request Type drop down box, choose My Account. In the next drop down box, choose Canceling Your Account. Then just write a note stating that you have already completed your purchase agreement and would now like to cancel. I've cancelled a couple of TV accounts in the past two weeks and got rapid fire response.

Thanks! I did not notice that the options change under each item you select initially. I was just looking for an option to cancel, but I do now see it under "account"

On the CH website it says to call a non toll free number and says nothing about canceling online. I guess they prefer that you call? I am going to just write what you mentioned in the box and I will be on my way to opening a new account.

Thanks for your help, and I recognized your user name from other helpful posts!

skidmark
10-04-10, 10:53 AM
Here's a new (to me) situation:

I had a Blu-ray pre-order and another DVD selection on order using the last BOGOFS deal. The DVD always showed "awaiting stock", but now it shows that it was canceled about ten days ago. I haven't heard anything from CH about this. The odd thing is that the title still shows up on both the enrollment and member sites.

So, how best to get the title due me?

dadaluholla
10-04-10, 01:03 PM

I had a Blu-ray pre-order and another DVD selection on order using the last BOGOFS deal. The DVD always showed "awaiting stock", but now it shows that it was canceled about ten days ago. I haven't heard anything from CH about this. The odd thing is that the title still shows up on both the enrollment and member sites.

Had the same thing happen to me not too long ago. I preordered a blu-ray and got a dvd free. The free dvd was "backordered" since they never send the free one out before the other title ships (at least for some accounts). Anyway it was over like 30 days and they ended up cancelling the free dvd.

So I wrote to customer service, and explained the cancelled dvd had been purchased with a BOGO code and I was still owed a DVD. They apologized and ended sending me out a copy of the title that was free.

BuckNaked2k
10-04-10, 08:09 PM
I had a similar experience when I pre-ordered Iron Man II, and took a DVD for free which got canceled. I called and asked why, and they said because the pre-order was under $20, I had to pick a DVD that was also under $20 (list).

While the guy was on the phone with me as I was trying to pick a replacement title, he said, "uuuh, it looks like you can get that original title after all". It shipped the next day. -rolleyes-

CalebAndCo
10-05-10, 08:25 AM

I just had this happen as well. I emailed Customer Service. They said pick another. I emailed back with the title and selection # of an inexpensive Blu-ray ($20 list), with a more expensive DVD as an alternate. They're sending me the Blu.

skidmark
10-05-10, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. One message to CS took care of it. I'm still curious about the stealth nature of the cancellation, though.

meyers
10-06-10, 01:52 AM
Hello just found these forums while I was searching for Columbia House DVD club info.. I have a question regarding new membership. The offer I see right now is pick 5 DVD's for new members. Is there a way as a new member to get BLU-Ray titles? I really do not want to order regular DVD versions of movies. I am trying to rebuild my collection with BLU-Ray stock. Any advice you can give is appreciated...

rider555
10-06-10, 03:10 AM
To the best of my knowledge,Blu Rays have never been available as enrollment selections.

Disney does offer Blus for enrollment(see the Disney Club thread).

lizard
10-06-10, 01:33 PM
^^There was one Blu-ray Club offer reported for Columbia House awhile back but it was such a poor deal it wasn't worth bothering with.

In addition to the inability to enroll with Blu-ray Discs, the BOGOF sale offers almost never work with BDs as the freebie. Unless one just wants to buy a BD at 40% off MSRP and pick up a DVD for free, Columbia House just isn't a good place to buy Blu-ray Discs. We keep hoping that will change but it hasn't thus far.

rider555
10-06-10, 06:27 PM
I enrolled in the TV club a few days.Everything was looking good as I finally got to the step where i was asked for credit card info.I used my Visa debit card and figured I had been accepted.
Checked the next day to see that my account status was still provisional.I than called up my bank and found out that my checking account was now $19.90 less than before I enrolled.

Now when I go to log in,it tells me that the username and or password are invalid.
Though my available balance for my checking account is $19.90 less,when I listened to a list of my most recent withdrawals,the CH enrollment is not mentioned..??
Huh?Are CH trying to rip me off?

BobO'Link
10-06-10, 09:03 PM
^It *could* be that you were not "officailly" approved even though you had been provisional. Using a debit card will cause the amount to immediately be withdrawed from your account, even though it's normally a "temporary" charge which gets finalized upon full acceptance. It can take *days* (if not weeks) for a "temporary" charge like that to be reversed and fall off your account. It's one of *many* reasons to not use a debit card... ever...

Even then, I'd try again just to be sure and might consider calling CH CS if you still can't log in and the charge on the account is not removed in a day or two just to be sure about the account status.

rider555
10-13-10, 11:51 PM
I just called my bank the $19.90 has not been reversed,and the point of sale withdrawal is still not showing up??
Looks like I am going to have to call 'em up.Not sure what to say to them since my bank has no record has no proof of the $19.90 withdrawal.

BobO'Link
10-14-10, 05:33 PM
If the items you ordered are backordered they'll keep the "hold" on your funds but not finalize it until the titles actually ship. This could be one reason the bank can not see what's going on, although I'd like to think they could see a "hold" type charge against your account. But... they should *still* notify you if items are on back order. A recent join with the DVD club had BO titles on the enrollment. I got an email in 3-4 days with notification about the BO status. But I did not get a membership number until *after* the enrollment package shipped *and* there was a "temp" charge on my CC until the order shipped.

I'd call or email CH CS to see if they can shed light on the situation. Be sure to provide them with the date of your enrollment, email address used, the name and address you used when you signed up, and the titles you ordered.

Do *not* provide *any* banking information other than that you used your Debit Card and that there is still a hold on your account.

customer.service@columbiahousetv.com

rider555
10-15-10, 06:35 PM
Thanks,Bob.
What do you mean by "BO titles?"...back order?

rider555
10-15-10, 06:37 PM
If the items you ordered are backordered they'll keep the "hold" on your funds but not finalize it until the titles actually ship. This could be one reason the bank can not see what's going on, although I'd like to think they could see a "hold" type charge against your account. But... they should *still* notify you if items are on back order. A recent join with the DVD club had BO titles on the enrollment. I got an email in 3-4 days with notification about the BO status. But I did not get a membership number until *after* the enrollment package shipped *and* their was a "temp" charge on my CC until the order shipped.

I'd call or email CH CS to see if they can shed light on the situation. Be sure to provide them with the date of your enrollment, email address used, the name and address you used when you signed up, and the titles you ordered.

Do *not* provide *any* banking information other than that you used your Debit Card and that there is still a hold on your account.

I still can't log in...
When I contact them,should I give them my log in info as well?

BobO'Link
10-16-10, 11:30 AM
I still can't log in...
When I contact them,should I give them my log in info as well?
They should not need that as they can see your account and status without it. If the temp charge is due to BO titles and your login isn't working they should be able to "reset" your account and provide you with the account number which you can use to access the account to set it up again. If you've been turned down for some reason they should have an explanation as to why you still have a "hold" on your checking account.

Yes, BO=Back Order.

rider555
10-17-10, 03:15 PM
Dear Member,

Unfortunately, we have been unable to find any record of your application with the information you gave us.

It is possible that your application has been received but has not made it all the way through our enrollment process yet. Ordinarily, you can expect to receive your first shipment 2-4 weeks after submitting your application, although seasonal variations may shorten or lengthen that waiting time.

If you believe your payment has been processed, please send proof of payment via Postal Mail for our review. If you paid by check, include a copy of the front and back of each canceled check. If you submitted your payment electronically through your bank or by credit/debit card, please include a copy of your bank statement showing this payment. If you paid by money order, please contact the place of purchase and instruct them to issue a tracer, and then send us a copy of the results.

Sincerely,

Robert

Customer Service

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
I enrolled in the CH TV on DVD club some time between October 2 and October 5 .Everything was looking good,as I finally got to the step where i was asked for credit card info.I used my Visa debit card and figured I had been accepted.
Checked the next day to see that my account status was still provisional.I than called up my bank and found out that my checking account was now $19.90 less than before I enrolled.This could only be due to Columbia House,as I have not used my debit card for anything else.

Now when I go to log in,it tells me that the username and or password are invalid.
Though my available balance for my checking account is $19.90 less,when I listened to a list of my most recent withdrawals,the CH enrollment is not mentioned..??

So,the problem is,I am not able to log in,and worse than that,the temporary charge of $19.90 that was taken from my checking account,has still not been refunded.

Again,this enrollment took sometime between the 2nd and 5th of this month.
The name and address used:
Adam Smith

the email address used:
*********@hotmail.com

the titles ordered:
STAR TREK ENTERPRISE season 3
STAR TREK ENTERPRISE season 4

I hope that you will look in to this.

Thanks.

rider555
10-17-10, 03:15 PM
Dear Member,

Unfortunately, we have been unable to find any record of your application with the information you gave us.

It is possible that your application has been received but has not made it all the way through our enrollment process yet. Ordinarily, you can expect to receive your first shipment 2-4 weeks after submitting your application, although seasonal variations may shorten or lengthen that waiting time.

If you believe your payment has been processed, please send proof of payment via Postal Mail for our review. If you paid by check, include a copy of the front and back of each canceled check. If you submitted your payment electronically through your bank or by credit/debit card, please include a copy of your bank statement showing this payment. If you paid by money order, please contact the place of purchase and instruct them to issue a tracer, and then send us a copy of the results.

Sincerely,

Robert

Customer Service

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
I enrolled in the CH TV on DVD club some time between October 2 and October 5 .Everything was looking good,as I finally got to the step where i was asked for credit card info.I used my Visa debit card and figured I had been accepted.
Checked the next day to see that my account status was still provisional.I than called up my bank and found out that my checking account was now $19.90 less than before I enrolled.This could only be due to Columbia House,as I have not used my debit card for anything else.

So,the problem is,I am not able to log in,and worse than that,the temporary charge of $19.90 that was taken from my checking account,has still not been refunded.

Again,this enrollment took sometime between the 2nd and 5th of this month.
The name and address used:
Adam Smith

the email address used:
*********@hotmail.com

the titles ordered:
STAR TREK ENTERPRISE season 3
STAR TREK ENTERPRISE season 4

I hope that you will look in to this.

Thanks.

BobO'Link
10-17-10, 08:32 PM
^Well... that totally sucks! It looks like you'll have to look very carefully over that bank statement. As long as you have record of all deposits/withdrawals it *should* indicate the withdrawal and be shown on the statement in order for the balance to reconcile. I wish I had more for you but it now looks to be in the banks ballpark. I'd like to think they'd even show a "hold" but with the state of banks today...

Andras
10-19-10, 11:54 AM
How long for the enrollment package to arrive? The shipping date was 10/1 according to my CH account. I don't remember ever waiting this long. The CH site says wait 30 days before filing a complaint.

BobO'Link
10-19-10, 07:50 PM
^Depends... My most recent enrollment shipment took 4 days. CH typically ships media mail so it can take longer than expected due to the way the PO handles media mail. Essentially it's put on the truck after everything else *if* there's room. If the truck fills your package will sit on a dock until one with space left comes up. The delay is *all* on the PO. As you've found on the site CH will not do anything to replace a shipment until 30 days have passed so be patient.

Andras
10-21-10, 10:33 AM
I finally received my enrollment yesterday after 20 days. One item is back-ordered with no date next to the title. It is out-of-print. What is the practice with this situation?

BobO'Link
10-21-10, 05:41 PM
^If they're unable to get any more copies they'll send you a credit voucher good for another selection. The only good part about that is you can usually select almost any $24.95 or less non-TV title including those which are not normally allowed on the enrollment site (the ones that say "members only").

These vouchers can be redeemed by contacting them from the "help" section, telling them you want to redeem a voucher and providing the title info (selection # and title). Your account will show the voucher availability when they look at it and they'll process the order without you having to return the paper version.

rider555
10-21-10, 05:42 PM
I can not remove items from my cart.
I have 4 DVDs in my cart that I no longer want.
When I go to click on remove,it than says " "has been removed from your cart,even though it hasn't.

BobO'Link
10-21-10, 11:00 PM
^Clear all your columbia house cookies (or all if your browser doesn't allow select cookie clearing) and check again.

SamIAm333
10-22-10, 06:27 AM
^^ you might have to contact customer service. I had the same issue and they ended up having to clear the account of something - it's a known glitch so they should be able to take care of it pretty quickly.

Andras
10-22-10, 10:22 AM
^The only good part about that is you can usually select almost any $24.95 or less non-TV title including those which are not normally allowed on the enrollment site (the ones that say "members only").

Thank you BobO'Link. Am I allowed to choose a Blu-ray title as a replacement of the out-of-stock item with a credit voucher?

Bill Needle
11-03-10, 07:05 PM
So tonight I ordered Alien Anthology and it used to show you in your cart how many commitments it would count for. Not only did it not show for this title, but not for any other I tried either. The site also doesn't list the thresholds for what makes for 2 or 3 commitments any more either. Anyone have any info on this?

BuckNaked2k
11-03-10, 07:12 PM
So tonight I ordered Alien Anthology and it used to show you in your cart how many commitments it would count for. Not only did it not show for this title, but not for any other I tried either. The site also doesn't list the thresholds for what makes for 2 or 3 commitments any more either. Anyone have any info on this?That feature was removed during the site "upgrade". I don't think there's any way to tell in advance, but from recent personal experience, Alien Anthology counted as three selections. BTTF counted as two. Apocalypse Now: Full Disclosure counted as two. You can use those three as rough guides in terms of pricing and # of discs.

Bill Needle
11-03-10, 07:51 PM
Thanks, that's about what I figured. With AA probably counting as three, I kind of wish I hadn't bothered ordering the 9.95 selection during enrollment.

BobO'Link
11-03-10, 09:56 PM
So tonight I ordered Alien Anthology and it used to show you in your cart how many commitments it would count for. Not only did it not show for this title, but not for any other I tried either. The site also doesn't list the thresholds for what makes for 2 or 3 commitments any more either. Anyone have any info on this?

That feature was removed during the site "upgrade". I don't think there's any way to tell in advance...

Yeah... I *love* the new description in the "help" section (bolding by me):

"Each DVD you buy priced $19.95 or higher counts as one unit toward fulfilling your purchase commitment. Certain higher-priced selections may count as more than one unit and we'll always let you know when they do."

*Suuuurrrre* they will... *after* the purchase has been made.

BUT... based on recent accounts and what I've ordered to fulfill it appears it's the same threshold levels as before - just not published.

Basically:
$19.95 = 1
$39.95 = 2
$59.95 = 3

Sweet Baby James
11-03-10, 10:50 PM
From the very first post of this thread-

• Can I buy a box set to fulfill my account?

Yes, “Special” priced items, such as box sets, can be used to fulfill an account if the price of the set is $19.95 or more:

The current Columbia House fulfillment credit schedule:

It would seem that CH still adheres to this model.

Sweet Baby James
11-03-10, 10:55 PM
Apocalypse Now: Full Disclosure counted as two.

Did you get a free movie with Apocalypse Now? CH still has the glitch where the free title of a BOGO order counts as one fulfillment as long as it has a regular price of $19.95 or higher and it ships out at the same time as the paid(qualifier) title. If you used a BOGO code for Apocalypse Now, then that is probably why it counted as two.

BuckNaked2k
11-04-10, 12:33 AM
Did you get a free movie with Apocalypse Now? CH still has the glitch where the free title of a BOGO order counts as one fulfillment as long as it has a regular price of $19.95 or higher and it ships out at the same time as the paid (qualifier) title. If you used a BOGO code for Apocalypse Now, then that is probably why it counted as two.Yes that must be why. Apocalypse Now was $35.97, plus my BOGO, plus shipping for both. I really didn't know when I ordered it, but noticed the Account Overview page showed, "You have fulfilled your purchase commitment". :scratch2:

Mysteryfan
11-04-10, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know why CH doesn't seem to be offering Avatar or A-Team?

lizard
11-04-10, 02:44 PM
^They also don't have The Sound of Music nor Moulin Rouge Blu-ray Discs. All of these titles are Fox. My best guess is that Fox has some contract limitations that prevent Columbia House from offering Fox "crown jewels" for a period of time.

Fox titles were late in coming to Columbia House and it appears that their contract with CH is more restrictive than that of other studios.

CH also doesn't have How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda or Shrek which are Dreamworks titles. They don't carry all studios (notably Disney, which has its own club).

Sweet Baby James
11-04-10, 04:07 PM
^

They do have the Moulin Rouge Blu-ray-

http://www.columbiahouse.com/pages/nm/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1068217135

Hopefully they will add those other Fox titles soon.

rfduncan
11-17-10, 08:30 AM
I have recently started to get inundated by Director's Selection shipments that I didn't order. I keep returning them but would rather not run the risk of one getting lost in the mail and me stuck paying for it. Is there any way to permanently say NO to all Director's Selections? I swear I had it doing that before.

If not, is there any benefit to maintaining an active account anymore? It seems like eons since they had a mega sale that was anything to rant about. Thoughts?

lizard
11-17-10, 11:47 AM
^

They do have the Moulin Rouge Blu-ray-

http://www.columbiahouse.com/pages/nm/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1068217135

Hopefully they will add those other Fox titles soon.Good to see that they finally added the Moulin Rouge BD; perhaps The Sound of Music will be coming soon. But unless Columbia House has a B1G1F deal that includes BDs as freebies, it will be hard to get decent prices on such titles unless one has an unfulfilled account.

lizard
11-17-10, 11:52 AM
I have recently started to get inundated by Director's Selection shipments that I didn't order. I keep returning them but would rather not run the risk of one getting lost in the mail and me stuck paying for it. Is there any way to permanently say NO to all Director's Selections? I swear I had it doing that before.

If not, is there any benefit to maintaining an active account anymore? It seems like eons since they had a mega sale that was anything to rant about. Thoughts?You could call them and say that you are away from home a lot and can't respond to the DS in a timely manner. I find that the e-mail reminders that Columbia House sends work well and I don't have a problem getting the DS canceled well before it ships.

There really haven't been many deals at CH, since the club was revamped, which warrant keeping an account open. One can usually get equivalent deals elsewhere without the hassle.

Bill Needle
11-17-10, 08:54 PM

If not, is there any benefit to maintaining an active account anymore? It seems like eons since they had a mega sale that was anything to rant about. Thoughts?

I use the "contact us" feature to email them and ask them to set the default for Director's Selections to decline (once my commitment is met). They usually respond within a day or so and let me know that I will no longer receive/need to respond to Director's Selections. At that point, there is no reason not to keep the account open, unless you want to open another one or some other reason.

DnceForce
12-11-10, 08:08 AM
I, too, apologize if this has been covered already. I went through a few of the latest pages and didn't see it covered.

My question is about the Bonus Points. Now, you can't apply them to sets, right? Well, it doesn't seem to be working for anything. I have 22 points available right now and I'm trying to use them because I'll lose them at the end of the year. I got it to where they'd let me use 15 of them, but not all 22 of them.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks this is stupid. But I can't seem to find a combination that will let me use all of them. What is up with this? I wish they'd just let you use it for any purchase equal to or over the amount of your total bonus points. I realize they want MORE money, but they WERE earned after all and they belong to me.

Any advice on this issue? Thanks!

BobO'Link
12-11-10, 10:32 AM
^Bonus Point redemption must be for the *exact* price of the selection. No partial amounts. So, if you can find a selection, set or otherwise, that is exactly $22 ($21.95) you can use them all. Otherwise you'll just have to go with a lower priced selection or a couple of really cheap titles and possibly expect to lose a few come the end of the year.

FWIW, "Bonus Points", like "Fun Cash" before them, are just not worth the hassle. If they'd go back to the version where you could apply any amount to a selection and just pay the difference they'd be somewhat better, but still not worth messing with. They are there to sucker the general public into thinking they're getting some kind of "deal". It's more cost effective to cycle accounts closing one as soon as it's fulfilled and forget about accumulating "Bonus Points".

I forget the full math but it works out to:

Selection with "Bonus Points" will cost you $2.99 (cost of shipping). This can be a few cents less if you redeem more than 1 selection. (i.e. - 2nd will cost $1.99 to ship - total $2.49 each average).

Selection *average cost* with a "well optimized" account will cost you about $4.80

So, enough "Bonus Points" for a "free" selection are only worth about $2 tops unless you manage to get free shipping as well. But that's fairly rare and usually requires the purchase of another title which can throw off the average.

DnceForce
12-12-10, 10:32 AM
^Bonus Point redemption must be for the *exact* price of the selection. No partial amounts. So, if you can find a selection, set or otherwise, that is exactly $22 ($21.95) you can use them all. Otherwise you'll just have to go with a lower priced selection or a couple of really cheap titles and possibly expect to lose a few come the end of the year.

FWIW, "Bonus Points", like "Fun Cash" before them, are just not worth the hassle. If they'd go back to the version where you could apply any amount to a selection and just pay the difference they'd be somewhat better, but still not worth messing with. They are there to sucker the general public into thinking they're getting some kind of "deal". It's more cost effective to cycle accounts closing one as soon as it's fulfilled and forget about accumulating "Bonus Points".

I forget the full math but it works out to:

Selection with "Bonus Points" will cost you $2.99 (cost of shipping). This can be a few cents less if you redeem more than 1 selection. (i.e. - 2nd will cost $1.99 to ship - total $2.49 each average).

Selection *average cost* with a "well optimized" account will cost you about $4.80

So, enough "Bonus Points" for a "free" selection are only worth about $2 tops unless you manage to get free shipping as well. But that's fairly rare and usually requires the purchase of another title which can throw off the average.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just let them expire then. I haven't worked out the "perfect" selections anyway.

bhauge
12-13-10, 01:13 AM
I ordered "Despicable Me" BD when all pre-orders were $19.95 and Free Shipping. I found out it will be cheaper at my local chain store this week ($17.99 @ Fred Meyer, plus I have some store credit I can use). I checked my account and they've already shipped it. I'm guessing I can write "REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER" when it shows up and they would credit me back what I paid. Should I call them as well just to make sure that this will work, or have others done this with success? Thanks :)

lizard
12-13-10, 01:05 PM
^Yes, they will credit the price back to you (eventually) when they get a refused package back. But they may charge you for shipping since it wasn't their mistake.

dadaluholla
12-15-10, 12:18 PM
Hmmm...why no A-Team? It came out yesterday didn't it?

jwstl
12-15-10, 01:19 PM
How is CH when it comes to honoring orders that are clearly a mistake? Something odd happened today and I'm wondering if I will really get my order.

I had 40 Bonus points and wanted to use them so I started looking for a Blu-ray I wanted. I also received a code-20101215DODT1D-for 2.99 shipping which I applied just in case I ordered more than one item.
Here's where the oddness begins: They let me apply points to multiple items with a combined price that far exceeded my 40 points. I was able to order The Bridge on the River Kwai BD, King Kong 1933 BD, and Forbidden Planet BD for only the 2.99 shipping. And I expected my points to be deducted but they haven't which means I can continue ordering using the points.

CalebAndCo
12-20-10, 08:55 AM
I just had this happen as well. I emailed Customer Service. They said pick another. I emailed back with the title and selection # of an inexpensive Blu-ray ($20 list), with a more expensive DVD as an alternate. They're sending me the Blu.

Just a heads-up:

I had two more BoGo orders with DVDs cancelled. I used the website CS form to request a Blu-ray for each as a substitute and they did it without a whimper. (They billed more for the shipping + tax than was credited back for the cancelled items, $.54 and $.71, respectively, but not worth arguing about.)

RoadToPerdition
12-20-10, 07:06 PM
How is CH when it comes to honoring orders that are clearly a mistake? Something odd happened today and I'm wondering if I will really get my order.

I had 40 Bonus points and wanted to use them so I started looking for a Blu-ray I wanted. I also received a code-20101215DODT1D-for 2.99 shipping which I applied just in case I ordered more than one item.
Here's where the oddness begins: They let me apply points to multiple items with a combined price that far exceeded my 40 points. I was able to order The Bridge on the River Kwai BD, King Kong 1933 BD, and Forbidden Planet BD for only the 2.99 shipping. And I expected my points to be deducted but they haven't which means I can continue ordering using the points.

Yeah, I have a similar situation. I have 58 bonus points and I ordered Mutiny on the Bounty and The Goonies on Blu-ray, both of which well-exceeded my point total. I'm curious what happens now.

jwstl
12-20-10, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I have a similar situation. I have 58 bonus points and I ordered Mutiny on the Bounty and The Goonies on Blu-ray, both of which well-exceeded my point total. I'm curious what happens now.

I can tell you and it's not good. They shipped one item from my order and cancelled the others. That's ok. Here's what's not ok: they took the other "free" items from that order and created a new order with the items at full price...not the selling price but the full list price. I checked my account in time to call them and have the order cancelled before they shipped and billed me.

RoadToPerdition
12-20-10, 09:17 PM
I can tell you and it's not good. They shipped one item from my order and cancelled the others. That's ok. Here's what's not ok: they took the other "free" items from that order and created a new order with the items at full price...not the selling price but the full list price. I checked my account in time to call them and have the order cancelled before they shipped and billed me.

Huh, well that sucks. I thought maybe there would be a negative bonus point situation (I believe I've heard of that happening to others), which would be okay obviously, but I'm not okay with what you described. I will have to monitor my account.

RoadToPerdition
12-20-10, 09:28 PM
Okay, so they cancelled The Goonies and shipped Mutiny on the Bounty. Fine, but they also list an account balance of $2.49. I was charged $4.98 for shipping and processing for the two titles, so now that only one is actually going through, shouldn't I have a credit of $2.49 rather than a balance?

g
12-20-10, 09:49 PM
On the old site, that bonus points order would have worked. It would have given negative bonus points. On this new site, it looks like they fixed that previous flaw.

RoadToPerdition
12-23-10, 12:01 PM

So they ended up doing this to me. Now I see why they cancelled the bonus point order and reordered The Goonies rather than Mutiny on the Bounty (since the cost was about double for The Goonies). They recreated the order the next day and I'm now noticing it two days later after they've already marked it as shipped. Pretty low move on their part.

RoadToPerdition
01-03-11, 10:30 PM
I don't know if anyone has experienced this, but I figured I'd ask. I refused delivery on a package because I thought it was the aforementioned Goonies order, but it turns out I refused an order that I actually wanted and got The Goonies in the mail today thinking it was the other package. I've e-mailed them, but I know it usually takes them a day or two to respond. Do you think they will re-send my refused order at no additional charge? It's an unusual situation, but I'm hoping they will understand since nothing on the package identifies what's actually in it.

cgray
01-10-11, 03:02 PM
I think they shouldn't send it back to you for free, but due to their computer system, etc., it is probably easier just to ship it back to you. Do you really think it sounds like a smart business plan to include the contents of every package on the outside of the packaging?

wkkunkle
01-10-11, 03:19 PM
^^ If you are careful, you can actually open the DVD packages and then seal them shut again (pull apart at the glue versus the perferations) ... I did that once and resealed with glue ... then marked Return To Sender on it because it was a mis-ship ... and I didn't feel like fighting and waiting for a pre-paid label.

Actually got two packages this weekend and opened them up to where they could have been resealed (a practice I've gotten into in case I find floater discs ...).

Andras
01-10-11, 04:44 PM
Yes, resealing the carton boxes work, just use Elmer's Paper Glue or similar, then place something heavy on it overnight.

CalebAndCo
01-11-11, 08:46 AM
^

I've done that, too. A couple of big paperclips work to hold the flap for the glue to set on window boxes.

Depending on the type of box, you can sometimes ease the edge of the window out a bit to see what title(s) is on the bill.

Watson2
01-11-11, 12:44 PM
I think they shouldn't send it back to you for free, but due to their computer system, etc., it is probably easier just to ship it back to you. Do you really think it sounds like a smart business plan to include the contents of every package on the outside of the packaging?

Until they changed their invoices you could peek at the listing of what's in the box. Wasn't a change for the better, IMO.

Edit: That was the smaller one, two and three disk sizes.

wkkunkle
01-12-11, 02:05 PM
I ordered some movies the last week of December. For my delivery address, I selected a modified address as the recipient (versus the 'default' one), simply because when they converted my account to the new site last year, they dropped the "Mr.", my middle initial, and my suffix from my name. I got them to add the suffix back on, but wasn't fighting for the other stuff. When I did this, I must have missed changing the address on the one ... so it went to the default name (identical postal address).

In any manner, the DVDs shipped to the default address had an invoice/packing slip in the box that had the prices charged per DVD, etc. like normal. The one inside the box where my name was modified to appear properly had an invoice that had all X's for my account number, no payment information, etc. (like it was a gift almost).

Then, a day later (after receiving the DVDs), I received an invoice in the mail for the ones shipped to the modified address ... that had pricing, etc.

I also placed a separate order for other DVDs using the Buy One Get Two code that was posted here and shipped to my modified address again ... I received a mailed invoice yesterday for that order with detailed pricing. Haven't received the DVDs yet ... hoping they show up today (tracking information shows they were received by the local post office distribution center two days ago). I am assuming the invoice inside the box will have my account number blocked out and no pricing.

Is this common? Or, is this something new? I know in the past (with the old site), I changed the way my name appeared in the shipping address field but my invoices in the packages always had the information on them.

I really don't like the mailed invoices that come separately .. they are on like really thin paper with tons of perferations so they fall apart ...

Also, when did Columbia House start the whole tracking thing where they email you a tracking number for StreamLite (formerly MailExpress)? Kind of interesting, although the tracking is rather lackluster.

RoadToPerdition
01-12-11, 05:37 PM

For theft reasons, I completely understand why they don't list on the outside of the package what's contained inside; however, in these one-off situations like mine, it can cause problems.

^^ If you are careful, you can actually open the DVD packages and then seal them shut again (pull apart at the glue versus the perferations) ... I did that once and resealed with glue ... then marked Return To Sender on it because it was a mis-ship ... and I didn't feel like fighting and waiting for a pre-paid label.

Actually got two packages this weekend and opened them up to where they could have been resealed (a practice I've gotten into in case I find floater discs ...).

I opened it along the perforations, but I was able to (sloppily) glue it back together to where it didn't look like it was opened. There was quite a bit of dried glue around the perforations, but the USPS hasn't sent it back to me yet disputing eligibility for a "return to sender." This is the third time I've tried to return something as "return to sender" that I've opened and it looks like two out of the three times it worked.

As an update for anyone else that might have my situation occur to them, I contacted Columbia House and they said they will re-ship the items out to me when they get them back. Not sure how long that'll be and they didn't say anything about re-charging me, so hopefully they don't.

BobO'Link
01-12-11, 09:36 PM
Am I the only one annoyed by Blu-ray disks coming up as the "default", if available, when doing a search for titles? I neither own a Blu-ray player and am not interested in purchasing Blu-ray disks plus I'm in the *DVD* club so why would they default to Blu?

wkkunkle
01-12-11, 09:41 PM
Am I the only one annoyed by Blu-ray disks coming up as the "default", if available, when doing a search for titles? I neither own a Blu-ray player and am not interested in purchasing Blu-ray disks plus I'm in the *DVD* club so why would they default to Blu?

Absolutely agree. I bought a BluRay player about two years ago but never bought a BluRay disc (really don't want to mix and match my DVDs with BluRays and don't want to convert my collection ... not to mention I don't want to have to buy a BluRay player to replace every DVD player I own, just so I could watch the disc everywhere I watch DVDs now).

In any case ... if I remember correctly, the old website let you specify if you preferred Widescreen vs. Fullscreen in your profile and altered your search results accordingly to show your preference first. Wish they'd bring that back and integrate the same functionality with respect to DVD or BluRay being your preferred format.

Watson2
01-12-11, 10:05 PM

I hear ya.

rider555
03-01-11, 04:20 PM
Any one else ever receive a DVD from CH that is not even available through the club?
I don't remember which Doctor Who title I ordered back in January,but to my surprise,they sent THE SONTARAN EXPERIMENT instead...?!

Mr. Cinema
03-02-11, 01:23 PM
I haven't been a CH member for well over a year, but decided to re-join today. They constantly send the "we want you back" emails, so I found an older one. It was 5 dvds for $1. So I just picked my titles and completed the registration. It appears I'm already approved as it's allowing me to buy titles now. I also got an email saying welcome to columbia house.

I always thought you had to go through an approval process. Are they doing instant approvals when you use one of those "we want you back" offers?

jwstl
03-02-11, 02:28 PM
I haven't been a CH member for well over a year, but decided to re-join today. They constantly send the "we want you back" emails, so I found an older one. It was 5 dvds for $1. So I just picked my titles and completed the registration. It appears I'm already approved as it's allowing me to buy titles now. I also got an email saying welcome to columbia house.

I always thought you had to go through an approval process. Are they doing instant approvals when you use one of those "we want you back" offers?

I think they do instant approvals for (nearly) everyone now.

BuckNaked2k
03-02-11, 03:19 PM
I think they do instant approvals for (nearly) everyone now.I'm still experiencing a 24-36 hour wait on new applications.

Mr. Cinema
03-02-11, 04:39 PM
I'm still experiencing a 24-36 hour wait on new applications.
Are these using one of their "please come back" emails or are you just going to the site and entering an offer code?

BuckNaked2k
03-02-11, 05:48 PM
Are these using one of their "please come back" emails or are you just going to the site and entering an offer code?Straight enrollment.

Sweet Baby James
03-02-11, 06:10 PM
^

You should have instant access to the site where you could place fulfillment orders instantly.

BuckNaked2k
03-02-11, 09:31 PM
You should have instant access to the site where you could place fulfillment orders instantly.I do get instant access, but my account # shows "Provisional" for a day or two. I don't consider the account approved until it shows a real #.

Mr. Cinema
03-03-11, 05:20 PM
I do get instant access, but my account # shows "Provisional" for a day or two. I don't consider the account approved until it shows a real #.
Mine did that, but it said my acct # would show up within 72 hours. I checked today and have an acct # now.

BuckNaked2k
03-03-11, 08:46 PM
Mine did that, but it said my acct # would show up within 72 hours. I checked today and have an acct # now.Great, you're all set. A few times, when I was flipping accounts like crazy, I guess I got rejected, because I couldn't sign in, even after placing regular orders under a "Provisional" status.

g
03-25-11, 03:04 PM
Has anybody ordered 8 1/2 criterion lately? I received it yesterday and it did not look like a new criterion. It had no white security seal and looked like a rewrap. I know other studios don't use security seals. But for a criterion this didn't look new. Is it just this copy or is this how 8 1/2 comes from Columbia House now.
I ordered it a few years and it had all the proper factory seals.

rider555
03-25-11, 03:53 PM
I still have not opened the 8 1/2 Criterion I ordered from CH last month.It is wrapped in cellophane,no security seals.

g
03-25-11, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the information. I won't bother trying to get another copy. I wish I had known in advance that it was like this. They must be getting some kind of returned copies as it isn't how it is from other sources.

BobO'Link
03-25-11, 07:38 PM
^Not necessarily. I believe use of security seals is a US only thing, kind of like the old CD long-boxes. I don't think you see these on DVDs in/from other countries unless the product is aimed at the US market. It's possible the stock CH has was for export and didn't make it *or* they simply requested copies without the seals. There's nothing that says these have to be on a DVD to be genuine/new/non-recycled, although I'll generally question "newness" if one is missing.

Sweet Baby James
03-25-11, 09:17 PM
I seem to recall reading a while ago that CH made an arrangement with the studios to skip the factory seal stickers and security devices to cut the costs.

ESG927
03-29-11, 09:56 AM
I should know this but I need to make sure.....

I need to fulfill my CH membership by Sept. I see the next Harry Potter movie is a Director's Selection now, listed at a discounted price of $19.95. If I chose to accept it, will that count as one of my fulfillments? I think it won't because it has to be regularly priced at $19.95 or above. What's the verdict on this? thanks.

Sweet Baby James
03-29-11, 10:09 AM
I should know this but I need to make sure.....

I need to fulfill my CH membership by Sept. I see the next Harry Potter movie is a Director's Selection now, listed at a discounted price of $19.95. If I chose to accept it, will that count as one of my fulfillments? I think it won't because it has to be regularly priced at $19.95 or above. What's the verdict on this? thanks.

It will count. The regularly priced bit is just mumbo jumbo. As long as a title is $19.95 or higher, it counts.

ESG927
03-29-11, 12:27 PM
Thanks SBJ! I appreciate the response. I'll go ahead and accept this then since I do want it and it'll count as one of my fulfillments. Might be a good time to purchase the 2nd one since I think they might discount shipping on the 2nd one just a tiny bit. Need to check on that.

BobO'Link
03-29-11, 05:58 PM
^Shipping on the 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc.) is $1.99 each *unless* it's considered to be a "box" set. There are a few 3 disk selections which CH considers to be "box" sets.

Sweet Baby James
03-29-11, 06:07 PM
Thanks SBJ! I appreciate the response. I'll go ahead and accept this then since I do want it and it'll count as one of my fulfillments. Might be a good time to purchase the 2nd one since I think they might discount shipping on the 2nd one just a tiny bit. Need to check on that.

Don't forget to use the 801490 code. This should get you two free DVDs to go along with Harry Potter.

ESG927
03-30-11, 09:56 AM
Thanks! I got my 2 movies to fulfill plus two more. The overall price was not wonderful but at least I'm fulfilled now. think I won't renew my membership for a long time......too many unwatched DVDs in my house, lol.

rider555
04-01-11, 09:56 PM
I am having trouble logging in to my new account.I enrolled a couple of days a go.
When I enter my username and password,it says that the information entered does not match their records.
So than I try logging in by using my account number,which I found in an email they sent today(one says,"..You've now been granted access.The other email they sent says,"see what Columbia House can do for you").
That doesn't work either,and this shows up;

The Account Number or ZIP code you entered is not valid. Please try again. Your Account Number can be found on an order card, invoice, or Welcome email.

So now I don't even know if my application was rejected...???

Andras
04-01-11, 09:58 PM
I usually check if they charged my credit card. If not - rejected.

rider555
04-02-11, 12:46 AM
I selected the bill me option.

BobO'Link
04-02-11, 07:12 AM
^Since you have an email with a account number you could either call or send an email asking the account status. I do not know the current phone number but do not use it as it's now a toll call and email has always worked very well for me.

For the DVD club:
customer.service@columbiahouse.com

For the TVonDVD club:

Those "you've been authorized" emails typically have a "check the status of your account" link at the bottom. You might try that first.

g
04-04-11, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know what "claimed" means in the order history? I had 2 orders that they said they shipped. Then they changed it in my order history from "shipped 3/18" to "claimed 04/04." And the other order they changed to backordered. from shipped. Thanks for any information on this "claimed" word. This is a regular order not an enrollment order.

BuckNaked2k
04-04-11, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know what "claimed" means in the order history? I had 2 orders that they said they shipped. Then they changed it in my order history from "shipped 3/18" to "claimed 04/04." And the other order they changed to back-ordered. from shipped. Thanks for any information on this "claimed" word. This is a regular order not an enrollment order.This is the term they use if you have reported items lost or damaged. If you didn't do this yourself, you should call and find out why this happened, and have them re-sent.

g
04-04-11, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the information. I never reported this myself so I will have to contact them.

BobO'Link
04-12-11, 04:48 PM
anyone ever try to open an account online and get the message below? I called them up and the message means the application won't be approved. I have never not made a payment or violated any terms of commitment.

Thank You For Your Interest

Thank you for your membership application. Your enrollment package will be sent upon successful processing and verification of your requests. Should you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service Department.

Member Service Center
PO Box 6325
Camp Hill, PA 17012-6325

Do you use a different email address for each account? That could be an issue. I use 4-6 different ones and cycle through them. But, it's a different company which owns CH than before. These people also own several book clubs of which I've been a member for many, many years. On the book clubs I've only ever had a single membership in my name at a time. For a period you could sponsor your spouse to get the "sponsorship freebies" but that's been gone since they restructured quite a while back. It could be they are starting to apply some of the rules under which the book clubs operate.

Since you mentioned in the other thread you're attempting to use a better offer than the standard I'm also wondering if that's the issue. It may not be valid even though you can seemingly go through the enrollment process. That could be their way of disabling it.

Until the new owners I would normally have 2 of each type account open at once. I'd cancel/close one a couple of weeks prior to another attempt. Because of the great deals elsewhere the past year I've not cycled them like in the past and currently have only 2 accounts. One DVD and one TVonDVD. Both are fulfilled. Since I'm planning on attempting another TVonDVD account in the next few weeks I'll post the results.

That'sAllFolks
04-14-11, 04:51 PM
it' been a while since I joined and the first post of the enrollment thread hasn't been update in 4 years. I know CH ownership has changed and thejester is not able to mine for codes like he used to.

1. What is the best enrollment code for the DVD Club -- and what is it specify?

2. What are people avg now for a full enrollment and what are the conditions necessary (like you have to get free shipping/B1G1, etc). I know you used to avg 4.80 a disc if you got free shipping and B1G1.

3. Are the free shipping/B1G1 codes actually showing up on a regular basis.?

There are a few things that I want that are not at BL ;).

Sweet Baby James
04-14-11, 05:32 PM
it' been a while since I joined and the first post of the enrollment thread hasn't been update in 4 years. I know CH ownership has changed and thejester is not able to mine for codes like he used to.

1. What is the best enrollment code for the DVD Club -- and what is it specify?

2. What are people avg now for a full enrollment and what are the conditions necessary (like you have to get free shipping/B1G1, etc). I know you used to avg 4.80 a disc if you got free shipping and B1G1.

3. Are the free shipping/B1G1 codes actually showing up on a regular basis.?

There are a few things that I want that are not at BL ;).

1. www.columbiahouse.com/pages/nm/nmhomepage.jsp?YSID=1556

7 titles for $12.89 with 2 to buy in the next 2 years.

2. It's hard to say what the average cost will be. CH has had a glitch in the past where they counted the free title in a BOGO order as a fulfillment, so the average cost was quite low.:)

3. The best code right now is 801490. It's a buy 1(Blu-rays qualify for the paid title), get 2 free. Unfortunately, this code doesn't stack with a free shipping offer. Site wide free shipping promotions are less common these days as well.

g
04-15-11, 02:55 AM
I am supposed to fulfill my account by may 27 2011. I placed one order for a preorder with clockwork orange BD which ships on may 31. I used code 801490. I was wondering if preorders are alright if they dont ship before the fulfillment date. I was also looking at the Unknown BD which doesnt ship until June. Is it OK to use these. Thanks for any help.

lizard
04-16-11, 01:44 PM
In the thread "Enrollment Codes Part II" there are 8 total posts for the entire year 2011 so far, and over half of those posts are about editing browser preferences, by definition that's not about enrollment codes.

If that thread has few or none watching, then nobody is going to be answering my questions.

This entire site is here to help people and impart information, not be legalistic about the names of the threads.

More than likely since the number of participants is not the same as it was in years past the enrollment code thread and the sale code thread should be officially combined.If you want to discuss enrollment options, you are welcome to start another thread with that as a topic. If it got enough support it could then replace the obsolete enrollment code thread.

The problem is that the "new" Columbia House just doesn't have competitive prices and deals the way the old club did. That, in turn, means that far fewer people follow the various topics here than was the case a few years ago. So, don't expect a lot of responses to questions about optimizing enrollments at CH. There just aren't many good enrollment options, especially for the majority of us who have switched from DVDs to Blu-ray Discs.

I keep a CH account open on the off-chance that CH does throw a good sale offer at us, but cycling enrollments? Not a chance until/unless they create a really good BD enrollment offer*.

[*Edit: It appears that a large number of BDs can be used for enrollment now, although it remains to be seen if it is "real".]

lizard
04-16-11, 01:47 PM
I am supposed to fulfill my account by may 27 2011. I placed one order for a preorder with clockwork orange BD which ships on may 31. I used code 801490. I was wondering if preorders are alright if they dont ship before the fulfillment date. I was also looking at the Unknown BD which doesnt ship until June. Is it OK to use these. Thanks for any help.I've never heard any discussion of the answers to those questions; it isn't a problem that has come up before. Your best bet would be to call Columbia House and ask.

g
04-16-11, 02:35 PM
I went for the Illusionist BD which shps May 10. But I hope clockwork orange BD is alright. Thanks for your input. I will call them if it is a problem in May and hope for the best.
I am surprised this question has never been asked before. Or this issue hasn't been encountered by anyone.
I actually forgot to fulfill this account and only remembered when they emailed me a warning email.

BobO'Link
04-16-11, 04:13 PM
^I think the main reason this has not come up before is that many (most?) of us here used to cycle accounts with high frequency. We never had an account unfulfilled long enough for this to ever be an issue. Even now when I cycle an account I'll get it fulfilled within a month or two at most. All appearances are that most people who found these threads would start the open/fulfill/close cycle themselves within weeks after reading about the process. I was one of those. I stumbled across this forum looking for offer codes. Even though I cycled book and CD club accounts for decades the thought never occurred to me to do this with DVDs until I found these threads! That's because I was using the "sponsor a friend" way of account cycling and CH DVD club had *horrible* offers when doing that while the book/CD clubs offered the *best* deals that way.

BobO'Link
04-16-11, 04:36 PM
In the thread "Enrollment Codes Part II" there are 8 total posts for the entire year 2011 so far, and over half of those posts are about editing browser preferences, by definition that's not about enrollment codes.
No, not *directly*, but they were in direct reference to getting an enrollment code to work and so belong in that thread. Even then, a link for the best currently know code is in the last dozen or so posts.

If that thread has few or none watching, then nobody is going to be answering my questions.
There are still some of us who frequent this area and will actually read and respond to new posts. Most of us who *do* look at those threads have been around and doing this for years.

This entire site is here to help people and impart information, not be legalistic about the names of the threads.
True, *but* putting information in the "correct" thread helps others find it later. Refusal to use proper threads just irritates people as they see a new post in the "codes" thread, check it to see what new code might be worth a look only to find someone asking a totally unrelated question.

More than likely since the number of participants is not the same as it was in years past the enrollment code thread and the sale code thread should be officially combined.
As Lizard indicated, if you wish to start a new enrollment code/options thread to better reflect the current climate at CH you are welcome to do so. Considering the top post of the current enrollment code thread has not been updated in almost 4 years it might be worth the effort. Frankly I'd *not* want a merger of the 2 threads as it could easily serve to confuse. There are still people who are only interested in fulfillment codes and do not want to have to wade through questions/answers about the best enrollment code to get those fulfillment codes.

junglalien
04-17-11, 01:04 PM
How long should you wait to open a new account after canceling?

lizard
04-17-11, 02:51 PM
How long should you wait to open a new account after canceling?Once you are sure that the account is canceled you ought to be able to open a new one immediately. In the past, one was allowed two open accounts at the same time. Whether that policy has changed in recent years, I couldn't say.

lizard
04-17-11, 03:34 PM
Of the 8 questions in the enrollment code thread in 2011, 4 are about deleting cache. So apparently people are supposed to psychically know to go to an enrollment code thread to learn how to edit browser preferences.

Nobody told those people they were in the wrong thread.It appears that you are unaware that one of the problems in using new enrollment codes was that the CH page often froze on an old offer and it was necessary to delete cookies, restart the browser, or take other steps to clear the problem. Such issues were entirely enrollment-related, hence the use of the enrollment code thread. It makes no sense to post a question in a dying thread just to keep the thread going. A thread no one is even looking in any more. You are mistaken. If a new question pops up in an old thread it is flagged when those of us who monitor this forum look for new posts. However, it may take some time before someone with the appropriate knowledge posts an answer. In addition, you are welcome to ask questions in the "Questions" thread and you are welcome to create a new thread to discuss current enrollment options if you'd rather not use the obsolete Enrollment Code thread.
The number of people looking for codes on these pages is a very small number. There is no reason a single thread can't be officially used for all codes. Whether they be enrollment or purchase codes. Again, you are mistaken. Long experience has taught us that keeping sale offer codes and enrollment code discussions separate is helpful. When people see the sale offer code thread "bumped" with a new post they assume that it is because of discussion of a new deal. Cluttering that thread with general questions or questions about enrollment is a nuisance and most of us find it annoying. Simple courtesy would lead one to post such things in the appropriate thread or to create a new thread for the topic.

No matter what you guys say I am more logical than you, and I'm much smarter than you. End of story.There is no reason to be insulting because your feelings were bruised when you were asked to post in the correct thread. I've been "here" since this forum was created many years ago and I can't recall any posts as obnoxious as yours have been of late. If you keep it up I will ask the mods to intervene.

There are a number of people here who have spent quite a bit of time helping others navigate the mysteries of Columbia House club memberships (I couldn't begin to count the hundreds of hours I put in to maintain resource threads here, back in the "glory days" of Columbia House memberships). Irritating them is hardly the way to get help with questions.

junglalien
04-18-11, 04:44 PM
I ordered the OOP A River Runs Through It digibook. It has a picture of the digibook and the correct release date of 7/28/09.

1. How accurate are their listings?

2. Will I get the digibook or the regular re-release of 02/08/11?

3. If I get the regular BD can I return it?

4. Who pays shipping on returns?

5. Will they do an exchange for another title?

6. If I return it, what happens with 2 free DVDs I got?

7. On returns do they refund your CC or give you credit?

8. If you return it does it still count as a fulfillment title?

John Galt
04-19-11, 08:17 AM
I asked this in the Blu Ray thread but it apparently got looked over. Did CH get rid of the "Select how many titles count towards enrollment" option? I have a couple 19.95 blu ray titles I want to purchase, but they show up as 12.97 and I cant figure out how to get them at the 19.95 price.

BuckNaked2k
04-19-11, 08:33 AM
I asked this in the Blu Ray thread but it apparently got looked over. Did CH get rid of the "Select how many titles count towards enrollment" option? I have a couple 19.95 blu ray titles I want to purchase, but they show up as 12.97 and I cant figure out how to get them at the 19.95 price.It can't be done, AFAIK. It's frustrating, because there are some $16 - $17 Blu-ray titles I want, but they won't count toward fulfillment, and I can't get them for free as part of a BOGO. I'm sure not paying $17 + $3 shipping on these, when I can get them on Amazon for $10 + free ship with a little patience.

I hear ya though, I wish there were a way to just bump 'em up to $19.95 so they'd count for something.

John Galt
04-19-11, 08:46 AM
Damn, they used to have that option but it's been years since I last cycled accounts. Now I'm bummed because I saved all my 19.95 titles to use as fulfillments.

IJMSPORT
04-19-11, 11:09 AM
I ordered the OOP A River Runs Through It digibook. It has a picture of the digibook and the correct release date of 7/28/09.

Fairly, although I've found that sometimes, the movies you receive when ordered are the versions you see in the stores, even if the cover art shown is not. I ordered The Town on BD and received the unrated extended version, which was NOT advertised on CH.

If you ordered something OOP, you will receive whatever print they stock, which will 99% be the newer version. If its OOP, its not being produced anywhere.

3. If I get the regular BD can I return it?

Yes.

4. Who pays shipping on returns?

If the package is opened, you do. If not, they do. Just write "return to sender" on it.

5. Will they do an exchange for another title?

Honestly, dont know. CH's customer service leaves something to be desired. I honestly think its been outsourced to India. Good luck getting an American that understands you & vice versa.

6. If I return it, what happens with 2 free DVDs I got?

As far as I know, nothing. They kind of get lost in the shuffle. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

7. On returns do they refund your CC or give you credit?

Credit card refund, if you use one.

8. If you return it does it still count as a fulfillment title?

No. The system will eventually catch up to show it as returned.

jwstl
04-19-11, 12:55 PM

I'd be shocked if you didn't get the digibook version because the cheaper version was only released 2 months ago and has an entirely different UPC so it would probably be listed separately on the site. And, as you stated, the release date on the CH site is for the digibook.
CH sometimes has stock of items unavailable elsewhere so I say expect to get digibook.

BobO'Link
04-19-11, 05:14 PM
^Agree. I've ordered many OOP items from CH and they've always been what I expected.

shblay
04-20-11, 01:32 AM
How do we know if a higher price item will count as more than 1 commitment? Does it say somewhere on the product description page? I'm interested in buying Back the Future Trilogy if it counts as 2 commitments.

I saw the question in the OP about the pricing tiers and commitments but I'm wondering if that is indicated on the product page anywhere to confirm.

Thanks for any help.

Jedi Master 33
04-20-11, 02:03 AM
How do we know if a higher price item will count as more than 1 commitment? Does it say somewhere on the product description page? I'm interested in buying Back the Future Trilogy if it counts as 2 commitments.

I saw the question in the OP about the pricing tiers and commitments but I'm wondering if that is indicated on the product page anywhere to confirm.

Thanks for any help.I would think, since it's over $40, it would count as two.

John Galt
04-20-11, 07:36 AM
1. Is there still a higher success rate for accounts opened on Monday and Tuesday?

2. Do accounts still need to be closed over the phone?

3. On all four of my accounts I opened on Monday, every fulfillment title (both BD and DVD, 24 titles in all) is listed as backordered. Am I that unlucky, or is that their default until I pay for the enrollment package?

IJMSPORT
04-20-11, 07:50 AM
Probably default until you pay them. I dont think the "bill me" option is a real winner with the intro offer. Theyre seemingly approving someone on the good faith that they'll pay; kind of 1998ish if you ask me.

Has anyone had any success with the "bill me" payment option on the intro offer?

John Galt
04-20-11, 07:59 AM
I was 4/4 on Monday.

lizard
04-20-11, 12:28 PM
While this stuff is “old hat” for Columbia House veterans, given the number of newcomers here I think it is time to take a look at some membership cost breakdowns using Blu-ray Discs as enrollments:

Scenario 1:
Fulfill with two $20.97 BDs (closest price to $19.95 minimum) with no deals.

Enrollment: 6 x 49˘ + $9.95 = $12.89 (7 BDs)
Fulfillment: $20.97 + $20.97 + $4.98 (shipping) = $46.92 (2 BDs)
Total: $12.89 + $46.92 = $59.81 (9 BDs)

Average cost per BD: $59.81/9 = $6.65

Scenario 2:
Fulfill with two $20.97 BDs (closest price to $19.95 minimum) with B1G1F, using DVDs as freebies and valued at the traditional $4.80 each.

Fulfillment: $20.97 + (free DVD) + $20.97 + (free DVD)+ $8.96 (shipping) = $50.90 (2 BDs + 2 DVDs)
Total: $12.89 + $50.90 = $63.79 (9 BDs)

Average cost per BD: ($63.79 – (2 x $4.80)) / 9 = $6.02

Scenario 3:
Fulfill with two $20.97 BDs (closest price to $19.95 minimum) with free shipping deal.

Fulfillment: $20.97 + $20.97 + $0 (shipping) = $41.94 (2 BDs)
Total: $12.89 + $41.94 = $54.83 (9 BDs)

Average cost: $54.83/9 = $6.09

Scenario 4:
Fulfill with two $20.97 BDs (closest price to $19.95 minimum) with B1G2F, using DVDs as freebies and valued at the traditional $4.80 each.

Fulfillment: $20.97 + ( 2 free DVDs) + $6.97 (shipping) + $20.97 + 2 free DVDs) + $6.97 (shipping) = $55.88 (2 BDs + 4 DVDs)
Total: $12.89 + $55.88 = $68.77 (9 BDs + 4 DVDs)

Average cost per BD: ($68.77 – (4 x $4.80)) / 9 = $5.51

The "take home" message is that there isn't all that much difference in which scenario one uses: they are all very good deals for Blu-ray Discs.

There are, of course, many other permutations that can be envisioned. The most obvious is the use of fulfillment BDs that cost more than $20.97. In that case just add the difference in cost for each BD to the average cost. For example, using the simple Scenario 1 with an average cost of $6.65, the purchase of a $23.97 BD for fulfillment would have a relative cost of $23.97 - $20.97 + $6.65 = $9.65. That’s still a respectable cost for a $39.95 MSRP BD.

As was mentioned by some others in the other thread, newcomers should be aware that it isn’t practical to purchase BDs priced at less than $19.95 from Columbia House. If such titles aren’t available as enrollments, they would best be purchased elsewhere.

Some other questions sure to come up:

• Can BDs be used as freebies in B1G1F offers? Not usually. It is very rare for Columbia House to issue such a sale offer, although they have happened.

• Are BDs eligible for free shipping offers? Sometimes, but usually they are excluded and free shipping applies to DVDs only. Scenario 3 above would apply only to a free shipping deal that includes BDs.

• Are there any B1G1F sale offers that also have free shipping? Sometimes yes, but they are increasingly rare.

• Should I take the second $9.95 "bonus" BD when enrolling? Generally no, because it doesn't count for fulfillment and it is more cost effective to purchase the additonal BD in a future membership. However, if the current 7:2 membership code allowing use of BDs disappears, it might well be best to have purchased the bonus. It's up to you.

blackmage214
04-20-11, 01:47 PM
Probably default until you pay them. I dont think the "bill me" option is a real winner with the intro offer. Theyre seemingly approving someone on the good faith that they'll pay; kind of 1998ish if you ask me.

Has anyone had any success with the "bill me" payment option on the intro offer?

I did one at the beginning of the year. Had my dvds within 9 days.

RoadToPerdition
04-20-11, 06:08 PM
I just placed an order for All the President's Men on Blu-ray @ $20.97 and took the two free DVDs with coupon code 801490. I'm a little concerned because the "Account" page still shows I have to buy two more at regular club price, but shouldn't the All the President's Men purchase count (it's only two because I took the extra one for $9.95 when I enrolled)? Does this counter not update until after the order ships?

Thanks,
Rob

jwstl
04-20-11, 06:10 PM
Does this counter not update until after the order ships?

It does not.

RoadToPerdition
04-20-11, 06:14 PM
It does not.

Thanks for the quick response. I want to place another order to satisfy the account, but was hesitant.

BobO'Link
04-20-11, 07:14 PM

Thanks for any help.
As stated in the OP:

This fulfillment structure/range is still valid.

This *used* to be shown in the cart but since the site redesign it's no longer there. AFAIK it's never been shown on the product page. It was also once in the help section somewhere but I don't know where and do not know if it's still posted anywhere on the site.

Keep in mind that these prices are the actual *selling* price. Unlike Disney Movie Club purchasing a title at a discount *counts* towards fulfillment as long as it's in the price range. That is, if it's still $19.95 or higher following all discounts it'll still count as a fulfillment (or 2 or more depending on final price).

BobO'Link
04-20-11, 07:19 PM
...As was mentioned by some others in the other thread, newcomers should be aware that it isn’t practical to purchase BDs priced at less than $19.95 as fulfillments...
?? Did you mean to leave "as fulfillments" on that sentence?

Ragged_Clown
04-20-11, 07:46 PM
Does anybody know why a lot of CH's DVDs don't come with the security sticker at the top? It seems like the majority of the discs I order from them are missing this. I remember reading that that CH Music Club manufactured their own CDs/records -- do they do this sort of thing with their DVDs, or do they get them directly from the studios like normal retailers? It just seems odd to me that so many of their discs are missing the security sticker.

g
04-20-11, 08:01 PM
I actually noticed this particularly with Paramount DVD's from CH. Then I went to the store nearby and saw all the Paramount new releases were missing the security strip. So I'm not sure this is only occuring with columbia house.

BuckNaked2k
04-20-11, 08:06 PM
As was mentioned by some others in the other thread, newcomers should be aware that it isn’t possible to purchase BDs priced at less than $19.95 as fulfillments.

Did you mean to leave "as fulfillments" on that sentence?

Fixed. :)

BobO'Link
04-20-11, 09:11 PM
^True, but I believe he meant to say:

"...newcomers should be aware that it isn’t practical to purchase BDs priced at less than $19.95."

Meaning you will only hurt your average if you do so. You should *rarely* purchase a title from CH unless it's a fulfillment. The exceptions being titles that are less, after shipping, than the average cost *or* titles that are less, after shipping, than from other vendors.

lizard
04-21-11, 10:48 AM
^True, but I believe he meant to say:

"...newcomers should be aware that it isn’t practical to purchase BDs priced at less than $19.95."

Meaning you will only hurt your average if you do so. You should *rarely* purchase a title from CH unless it's a fulfillment. The exceptions being titles that are less, after shipping, than the average cost *or* titles that are less, after shipping, than from other vendors.Yes, that's the point I was trying to make but didn't word quite right. The hierarchy:

• BDs eligible for enrollment can be purchased as enrollments

• BDs with the standard 40% off MSRP price < $19.95 should not be purchased from Columbia House because they are usually available for less elsewhere. (An exception might be if a future B1G1F offer allows BDs as freebies.)

• BDs with the standard 40% off MSRP price > $19.95 make excellent fulfillment purchases because the relative cost is ~$6 + ( CH price - $19.95) and that is a bargain for most.

lizard
04-21-11, 11:04 AM
Does anybody know why a lot of CH's DVDs don't come with the security sticker at the top? It seems like the majority of the discs I order from them are missing this. I remember reading that that CH Music Club manufactured their own CDs/records -- do they do this sort of thing with their DVDs, or do they get them directly from the studios like normal retailers? It just seems odd to me that so many of their discs are missing the security sticker.Like many on-line stores, Columbia House often gets DVDs and BDs without the security devices usually seen in B&M retail stores. The DVDs and BDs that Columbia House sells are otherwise identical to those from Amazon, Target, or any other retailer, right down to the UPC code.

Columbia House has never manufactured its own DVDs/BDs, stories about the old record/CD club days notwithstanding. They buy regular retail DVDs/BDs in bulk from studios or distributors at very low wholesale prices. Columbia House makes money from customers who "forget" to decline the monthly Director's Selection, buy additional DVDs at regular club prices over and above fulfillment requirements, and things like that.

lizard
04-24-11, 12:09 PM
I think I used the contact form on the site. How do I email them directly?dvd@columbiahouse.com

jwstl
04-25-11, 03:50 PM

FYI...After I saw your post about A River Runs Through It digibook and stated my confidence you would get the correct one, I went ahead and ordered it too. Today, I received it and it is indeed the digibook version. My thanks to you for pointing it out.

rider555
04-27-11, 06:51 PM
How long does it take for CH to charge ones debit card?
I got a surprise in the mail the other day...I am pretty good about replying to the directors selection,but one got by me some how.
It turns out that while I was pretty sure that I only have 2 CHTV accounts,but it looks like I have 3.
I don't even remember enrolling for a 3rd account..Although I do remember trying to enroll again and this time using my Visa debit card,having it charged and never getting my enrollment titles and than having CH tell me that they have no record of said account.
I wonder if now that they acknowledge this account,if I tell them that I never did receive my 2 enrollment titles(order history shows that they shipped the first of February,but I do not recall receiving them)if they would send me them..?I only fear that they would than charge my Visa again..
Hmmmm......
But back to my original question...the cut off date to reply by to this title was the 14th.Here we are 2 weeks later and so far,no charge from CH for this appears on my checking account history...
Oh yes,do i need to mark this refused,or do I need to contact CH about a return address label?

BobO'Link
04-27-11, 09:04 PM
^I'd mark the unopened package "refused". Next I'd change my default billing to a virtual CC, remove the debit card, and put only a couple of dollars on the virtual card so it can't be charged unless you want it charged (up the amount for each purchase to enough to cover only that purchase with a few $$ buffer). Doing that should stop any unwanted shipment as they'll not likely ship without that charge being authorized.

IMHO debit cards are a bad idea on *any* purchase as they offer little/no protection against unauthorized charges. It's worth a few $$ in service charges on a disposable credit card for the protection offered rather than use a debit card.

rider555
04-28-11, 01:18 AM
I will return it.
But this still leaves the matter of the enrollment titles which I was charged for yet never received.Not sure what to do about that.
Also,I am hesitant to tell them that I have 3 CHTV accounts.
Damn Columbia House.They let me have 3 CHTV accounts,but every time I try to get a second account opened in their other DVD club,I only get to provisional status.

ec461
04-28-11, 12:13 PM
I know there's an old thread that tried to predict when titles would become available for enrollment picks. Do Blu-rays work the same way, i.e. after a certain time period they can be used for enrollments? And if so, does anyone know the time period?

I'm interested in the following titles if it helps:

All the President's Men
Gandhi
Dirty Dozen
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Don't Look Back
Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
Apocalypse Now
Dirty Harry/Magnum Force Double Feature or just Dirty Harry
Kelly's Heroes/Where Eagles Dare Double Feature

rider555
04-28-11, 06:20 PM
What exactly does the "..you've now been granted access" email mean?
I got one one of those today,2 or 3 days after enrolling second account.
I tried logging in both with the user name and password,as well as the account number mentioned in the email and my zip code.Both times,it said "..not vaild".

xfilekr
05-17-11, 08:55 AM
Probably dumb question:
During the buy 1 get 2 sale I order Great Gatsby which appears to be OOP. It shows as backorder in my order status. If it is OOP how long will CH wait, and will they let me replace it with something else?
Thanks

Cochiseguy
05-17-11, 11:07 AM
Has anyone had experience with pre-orders. Do they actually wait until release date to ship, which is what it shows, or do they ship them a day or 2 early? That free shipping code last weekend worked for pre-orders despite it saying it didn't, so I pre-ordered American Graffiti as it was several bucks cheaper than Amazon with the free shipping. Thinking of pre-ordering The Outlaw Josey Wales on the next free ship code as at $20.97 it's 5 bucks cheaper than Amazon if shipping is free, but I am kind of spoiled with a family membership Prime and getting new releases on release day, sometimes even a day early.

Johnny Zhivago
05-17-11, 05:15 PM
Has anyone had experience with pre-orders. Do they actually wait until release date to ship, which is what it shows, or do they ship them a day or 2 early? That free shipping code last weekend worked for pre-orders despite it saying it didn't, so I pre-ordered American Graffiti as it was several bucks cheaper than Amazon with the free shipping. Thinking of pre-ordering The Outlaw Josey Wales on the next free ship code as at $20.97 it's 5 bucks cheaper than Amazon if shipping is free, but I am kind of spoiled with a family membership Prime and getting new releases on release day, sometimes even a day early.

My last account...

The Exorcist: Released 10/5/10. Shipped 10/13/10.

Se7en: Released 9/14/10. Shipped 9/24/10.

Day and date is pretty much out of the question...

Shipping early? :lol:

Cochiseguy
05-19-11, 11:35 AM
My last account...

The Exorcist: Released 10/5/10. Shipped 10/13/10.

Se7en: Released 9/14/10. Shipped 9/24/10.

Day and date is pretty much out of the question...

Shipping early? :lol:

That's funny. Well, thanks for the info. I'll pre-order from them sparingly, only if they're well under other prices. I'm too spoiled getting new releases on release day. Not only Amazon, I used Foxconnect.com for the first time for The Comancheros. If you give them an email address & signup for their newsletter they email you a one use coupon code for 10% discount & free UPS shipping. I paid $17.99 and got Comancheros on Tuesday.

rider555
05-22-11, 09:35 PM
I am having a bitch of a time getting a second account open,so I have decided to use my mailboxforwarding address.
I plan on using a prepaid Mastercard for this account.
I would like for the address I use for the other account,to be the same address as the one I am using for my mailboxforwarding account(that is in MI and I am in MO).
Is this possible?
I'd rather not have CH have any way of knowing that the accounts are actually the same person..

mooovies
05-23-11, 05:12 PM
the buy one get 2 is no longer working.

BobO'Link
05-23-11, 08:26 PM
the buy one get 2 is no longer working.

It's been dead for a while:

On April 16th, 2011 a bunch of noobs on another website got hold of the 7/2 code and the buy one get two free code and made about 1000 accounts over a week's time and the two for one code is now dead...

BobO'Link
05-23-11, 08:30 PM
I am having a bitch of a time getting a second account open,so I have decided to use my mailboxforwarding address.
I plan on using a prepaid Mastercard for this account.
I would like for the address I use for the other account,to be the same address as the one I am using for my mailboxforwarding account(that is in MI and I am in MO).
Is this possible?
I'd rather not have CH have any way of knowing that the accounts are actually the same person..
Sounds plausible. Just make sure to use a different email address as well.

Have you tried opening an account with simply a different email address than you've used in the past?

rider555
05-24-11, 01:14 AM
Sounds plausible. Just make sure to use a different email address as well.

Have you tried opening an account with simply a different email address than you've used in the past?

Yes,I have tried using a different email.The problem seems to be with my address.I noticed that I can not enroll in any of the book clubs(owned by who ever owns CH) either.

lizard
05-24-11, 12:47 PM
Yes,I have tried using a different email.The problem seems to be with my address.I noticed that I can not enroll in any of the book clubs(owned by who ever owns CH) either.Columbia House has been known to block memberships at certain addresses that have caused them trouble in the past. That can be a problem for addresses used by many people, for example: college dormitories.

One problem with prepaid credit cards is that there needs to be enough "space" on the credit limit so that CH can put in a temp charge and a real charge for each purchase. They also could check the CC to see if the name and address on the card matches the name and address on the account. One way around a blocked address is to rent a P.O. Box, although that may be more trouble and expense than it is worth. In the past, some people have used the addresses of workplaces, friends, or relatives.

At some point, all this becomes more trouble than it is worth, especially when bargain-priced DVDs/BDs can be had at from many other sources.

rider555
05-24-11, 06:26 PM
I have 1 account at my address
2 accounts at my Aunts
2 accounts at my brothers house
And I account using a p o box

Willh51
05-25-11, 08:57 PM
Two possibly stupid questions from a Columbia House newbie.

1. I pre-ordered Drive Angry 3D on Blu-ray. It is "processing" to ship on 5/31. At that time, will it show that I've purchased 1 movie toward completing my club agreement? Right now it still shows I've purchased zero.

2. I've gotten several e-mails about "May" deal saying I get a free dvd when I purchase one. Is that something I've likely redeemed or do you often get a free dvd just for buying something?

joltman
05-26-11, 10:34 AM
1. It won't show as a commitment until after it ship, although it might not show up right away.
2. You just get a B1G1 code

Imprint
06-03-11, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking about fulfilling one of my accounts with the complete Scooby Doo: Where are You! DVD set. It costs $48 + $8 shipping. The FAQ says a title must be $50 to count as 2 fulfillments, but I saw a chart in one of these threads that said $40 counts as 2 fulfillments. I assume $40 is correct, but I just want to make sure before buying an expensive set. Thanks!

BobO'Link
06-03-11, 04:25 PM
^Which FAQ? Unless something's changed, $39.95 - $59.94 counts as 2 with $59.95 and up counting as 3.

Imprint
06-03-11, 04:30 PM
Section 4.h. in this stickied FAQ (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/1073976-post4.html). I guess it's just out of date. Thanks for the reply!

Do higher priced titles count as more than one fulfillment selection?
If you pay $50 - $89.99 for a title (before shipping costs) it counts as two fulfillment purchases, $90 - $149.99 counts as three, $150 and over counts as four.

BobO'Link
06-04-11, 06:57 AM
^WOW! I've not looked at that thread in so long I forgot it even exists! Yes, it's out of date on *many* items. I believe that section is more out-of-date than the date of the last update on that post of the thread. It *does* mention $19.95 counts as 1 fulfillment but I don't know if that one has ever been higher.

I've been cycling CH DVD & TVonDVD for 5-6 years and it's been minimum $19.95(1)/$39.95(2)/$59.95(3) at least for that time period.

Don't forget to use a BOGO code when ordering. It'll get you a regular DVD for $1.99 extra shipping on the order. I don't believe there are any live ones at the present but I'd assume there'll be one soon as they are running a "Buy this month, get a free DVD with a purchase next month" promotion all summer long. Those codes are not account specific and typically get posted in the "codes (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/571175-columbia-house-sale-offer-codes-part-vi-33.html)" thread.

biglou114
06-08-11, 08:04 AM
Just a quick question (I didn't see an answer when I searched):
When does CH usually ship pre-ordered items? Like amazon, a few days before, so it's delivered roughly around the release date; or do they send it out on the release date, so it's delivered afterward.

Sweet Baby James
06-08-11, 09:12 AM
Just a quick question (I didn't see an answer when I searched):
When does CH usually ship pre-ordered items? Like amazon, a few days before, so it's delivered roughly around the release date; or do they send it out on the release date, so it's delivered afterward.

I've had them do it both ways, but usually they don't ship it out until the release date or even a few days after.

CalebAndCo
08-25-11, 08:10 AM
Anybody know whether "Bundles" (http://www.columbiahouse.com/content/pages/live/cm/browse/features/dvd/bundles.jsp) count as fulfillments?

jacob_b
09-12-11, 11:27 PM
What are some of the better DVDs to get on this site?

antares60
10-01-11, 04:52 PM
I received an e-mail with a BOGO plus free shipping offer and picked out two DVD's and when I go to the checkout page, it's giving me the BOGO, but it's not counting the 19.95 DVD as one of my two enrollment fulfillment's. I have one DVD to purchase, and there used to be a drop box on that page that allowed you to click how many DVD's counted towards fulfilling commitment. It's giving me the 19.95 DVD at half price and the second free, even though the code I enter specifically states buying one at regular club price.

Help please? I want to use this code before it expires, and there's no way to contact CH on the weekend.

BobO'Link
10-01-11, 07:18 PM
^It *might* count but you no longer get that confirmation until *after* you've placed the order. They took away that notification as well as the drop down selector box quite a while back as part of the site revamp.

If you don't want to take the chance you'll just have to find something that's $19.95+ after the site-wide discount is applied.

BobO'Link
10-01-11, 07:23 PM
Anybody know whether "Bundles" (http://www.columbiahouse.com/content/pages/live/cm/browse/features/dvd/bundles.jsp) count as fulfillments?
Any DVD/set with a club price of $19.95 and up *should* count, even if it's a "bundle" deal. However, the only way you'll know 100% is to make the purchase.