Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got like two emails telling me to update my account but funny thing is those accounts were closed. Strange.
Old 08-09-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CmC918
I just got like two emails telling me to update my account but funny thing is those accounts were closed. Strange.
Same here. Some of the accounts have been closed for several months!
Old 08-09-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got one too, it took me a while to figure out what was going on, as I just got enrolled in a new account.
Old 08-09-07, 11:04 PM

Hi, I'm planning on joining the TV Edition Club, but I'm on the fence about which 2 titles to pick: Little House on the Prairie Seasons 1 and 2, or Flintstones S1 and S2. Can anyone provide me with CH's regular prices on these sets because I didn't see them listed in the forum. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-07, 11:17 PM

Little House seasons 1 & 2 are both $23.97 each.

Flintstones season 1 is $23.97, season 2 is $26.97

I know you didn't mention Scooby-Doo but "Scooby-Doo Where are You!: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons" is $38.97 and even higher than that at amazon.com, it is also available as an enrollment selection, but to each his/her own.
Old 08-09-07, 11:23 PM

Thanks Sandyk67!

I actually got Scooby Doo S1 and 2 when I was enrolled in the TV Edition Club about 3 years ago. I also got ABFab as one of my free selections. I was a member for about a year, and then canceled.

You're right, though, --it is a good deal.
Old 08-09-07, 11:26 PM

I'm thinking about enrolling again at TV edition to get another Scooby DVD since my 3 year old great-nephew is now a fan of the show.
Old 08-10-07, 02:20 AM

Hey guys. I've read all of the FAQ and CH newbie info here, and I'm very sorry to put another post like this on an already crowded forum, but I want to make sure I understand this whole Columbia House thing correctly.....

If I sign up and get accepted using my credit card and 98W code online, I can purchase six $of the eligible .49 titles for under $3, then add another 7th onto that for 9.95, and then after a few weeks, I simply have to buy two more titles (or three depending on the code you use) within the next two years at 19.95 or more?

It sounds like a deal too good to be true, and from what I've read you can cancel your account right after you've bought those two 19.95 titles, correct?

Am I understanding all of this correctly? If so, I've got some shopping to do because 9 DVD's for under $50 is a great deal.
Old 08-10-07, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup
Old 08-10-07, 07:42 AM

AND when you have to buy those 2 DVDs for $19.95 each, there are more codes like buy one get one free that gives you a better deal. For my first fulfillment I bought the 9 disc Almodovar set and got a free criterion. Very nice deal.
Old 08-10-07, 07:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenX
Am I understanding all of this correctly? If so, I've got some shopping to do because 9 DVD's for under $50 is a great deal.
Actually, it is 11 DVDs for that $50. Wait and use the B1G1F codes that come out monthly or so.
Old 08-10-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
StephenX, you might want to take a look at the first post in this thread because it could answer some additional questions you might have about Columbia House.
Old 08-10-07, 10:22 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to check this out. So these B1G1 codes come out often?
Old 08-10-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to check this out. So these B1G1 codes come out often?
There's almost always one active. However, you have to wait for a BOGO code that includes free shipping. At this time, there are no active free shipping codes.
Old 08-10-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
As Sweet Baby James said there's almost always one or more active.

In case you haven't found and read it by now, here's the current thread about active codes:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=483288

Just be aware that this "hobby" is more addictive than crack!
Old 08-10-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ You've been addicted to crack before, so you can compare?

How did you kick your crack habit? With dvds?
Old 08-11-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
^ You've been addicted to crack before, so you can compare?

How did you kick your crack habit? With dvds?
Well... no I have not. Just speaking from "hear-say" and well known references... Adding emphasis to the statement that the bargain DVD habit is like an addiction.
Old 08-13-07, 07:17 PM

Hello all, I just enrolled in the TV club and I thank you for the information about enrollment codes that allowed me to do this cheaply. Here is my dilemma: the only items I really want to buy are seasons of TV shows. Currently I have an offer where all sets are 40% off. Should I jump on this offer to fulfil my commitment or is there some better offer I should wait for instead? The shipping is a bit high at $8 per boxed set. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-13-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the MGM titles that were re-issued as SE's by Fox shown up yet? Or are they considered Fox releases and will never show up?
Old 08-13-07, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by stringcircle
Hello all, I just enrolled in the TV club and I thank you for the information about enrollment codes that allowed me to do this cheaply. Here is my dilemma: the only items I really want to buy are seasons of TV shows. Currently I have an offer where all sets are 40% off. Should I jump on this offer to fulfil my commitment or is there some better offer I should wait for instead? The shipping is a bit high at $8 per boxed set. Thanks for your help!
The 40% off sets offer is standard and pretty much runs all the time (every now now and then some sets will be reduced even more). Fulfilling with a set is fine, even with the shipping cost. Assuming you applied with HDL, a set between $40 and $60 is optimal, though not necessary, and definitely use a B1G1 code, even if you're not into "regular" DVDs. Ask back if you have any questions.
Old 08-14-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Have the MGM titles that were re-issued as SE's by Fox shown up yet? Or are they considered Fox releases and will never show up?
I haven't been paying much attention to the Fox/MGM thing. What are examples of Fox re-issued titles?

Columbia House carries the recent release of Stargate SG-1, Season 10, which is an MGM title. Other recent MGM re-releases that CH carries include The Princess Bride: 20th Annivesary Edition, Species Collector's Edition, Species: The Awakening (Unrated), Cruising Deluxe Edition, Robocop 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition, Invasion of the Body Snatchers Collector's Edition, and Back to School: Extra Curricular Edition.

Does that help?
Old 08-14-07, 03:49 PM

If your B1G1 order's free selection is out of stock...

I ordered the Almodovar box set, and tried to get a Criterion free, but the system did not allow me. Instead I chose Grave of the Fireflies SE.

But Grave of the Fireflies, I am informed, is OOS, awaiting new stock. If it is still out of stock on 9/11 the order will be cancelled, they say.

Personally, I doubt they will get new stock on this item, so wouldn't it be pointless to wait? Will I have difficulty getting them to change the order to a different disc?

Your advice, please.
Old 08-14-07, 05:40 PM

^Why do you think they won't get new stock, is it OOP?

I've had this happen before on a title or two and CH got new stock before their "1 month" wait. I think I also had a similar issue trying to get WOTW (2-disc limited edition), which is indeed in limited supply, but they got more stock and sent it to me. 2 copies actually.

I think you should wait unless you are in a rush to close the account and rejoin. You could always try to get fireflies on the next account.
Old 08-14-07, 06:02 PM

suspect someone will ask this...soon

Q. If you pre-order a title when can you expect it?

A. It will totally vary. Sometimes as little as 2 days, sometimes as much as 2 weeks or never! I don't pre-order much anymore because of the time they made me wait 4 weeks for one NOT to arrive before I could get a replacement mailed out. That slowed down my mojo for cancelling and getting a new account going. If I pre-order now, it's right up to the last day before it's released, so that they will include it with the other stuff I'm ordering then and not forget to mail it on it's own when it's released.

But usually within a week of the release date.
Old 08-14-07, 11:29 PM

That is good info Basaro. I was lucky to get "300" Blu-Ray on the day of release. I see it would be foolish for me to expect that kind of service in the future. So I will be wary of this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.