Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dateline NBC - 08/01/07 - To Catch a Predator...OF IPODS!!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now it seems like they're just reaching for stuff to catch people screwing around.

They left bags with brand new Ipods around, and filmed people picking them up and walking away. Then, they traced these people when they registered online and confronted them with the video. Chris Hansen was just as self-righteous as when he's talking to the perverts.

Next week: TO CATCH A JAYWALKER!
Old 08-02-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw part of this. They keep talking about how the ipod was "lifted", but really they left an unopened ipod in public. Bags in parking lots, and shopping malls.

I mean, yes it is stealing, but isn't partially the fault of whomever left it behind? If I left my sunglasses on a park bench and came back to find them missing, I wouldn't say "Somebody stole my glasses!" I would think that I was a dumbass and left them behind. It is not like these kids were breaking into cars, taking them from store shelves, or ripping them off a jogger.

You could have repeated the process with a DVD, a pair of shoes, or probably even a box of gummi bears.

Then they go to the Apple Store: "Do you help reunite people with their lost ipods?" Yeah right!
Old 08-02-07, 09:06 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Now it seems like they're just reaching for stuff to catch people screwing around.

They left bags with brand new Ipods around, and filmed people picking them up and walking away. Then, they traced these people when they registered online and confronted them with the video. Chris Hansen was just as self-righteous as when he's talking to the perverts.

Next week: TO CATCH A JAYWALKER!
I caught a few minutes of this, and I thought it was genius. Without the IM conversations, they can catch twice as many people. They don't need Perverted Justice! All they have to do is leave a plain looking 20 year old pretending to be a hot little 14 year old in a bag. If someone picks it up, Chris Hansen has something to tell them.
Old 08-02-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should have engraved someones name and address on the back of the ipod and see how many people give it back. Only bust the ones that didn't. Tracking them down because they found a new ipod in a box is dumb.
Old 08-02-07, 10:07 AM
Banned

I was waiting for "...and how old was the iPOD that you stole?"
Old 08-02-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the first part of it. But what they were doing didn't make much sense. They were buying Ipods. Then they were replacing the original software disk with a disk of their own. So when you tried to register it you were actually connecting to them to give them your info. Well, duh, you should be able to catch people if you are doing it that way.

To me doing that didn't prove a damn thing.
Old 08-02-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
^ Yeah, it didn't make much sense. What about used iPods? Don't know about anyone else but I don't carry around the installation disc; of course, mine didn't even come with one in the first place...
Old 08-02-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
^ Yeah, it didn't make much sense. What about used iPods? Don't know about anyone else but I don't carry around the installation disc; of course, mine didn't even come with one in the first place...

Have a seat....
Old 08-02-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If i find a $100 bill on the floor and noone was around, i'm gonna take it. If I find an ipod left by someone, and I wait around a few minutes (which some of the "theives" did) and noone comes for it, I'm gonna take it. I'm not a theif. This show was a huge stretch. stick to cathing baby rapers nbc.
Old 08-02-07, 11:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
If i find a $100 bill on the floor and noone was around, i'm gonna take it. If I find an ipod left by someone, and I wait around a few minutes (which some of the "theives" did) and noone comes for it, I'm gonna take it.
By definiation, this is stealing. The ethical thing to do is turn these things in when you find them. (Moreso the ipod than the cash).
I'm not a theif.
Agreed, you're not a "theif". You are a thief, however, if you would keep an iPod somebody left around.
Old 08-02-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
A few years ago this woman dropped her iPod as she was leaving the PO. I literally ran after her saying "Miss, your Ipod!!" and waiving it around. She RAN, (I mean, booked) to get away from me like I was crazy or something. I wasn't about to give chase, so I went back to the PO and gave them my card and told them to have her call me if she came back. I checked in with them every week for about 3 months before deciding to put it up on eBay.

You might ask why I didn't just give to the PO people. That answer is simple, as they told me directly, they would have kept it for themselves.

I don't consider myself a thief. I would have gladly returned the iPod to her even after she ran from me in terror. I held onto it for 3 months before doing anything with it, and checked back with the PO weekly. At that point, I have to figure that it's mine baby.
Old 08-02-07, 11:48 AM

I wasn't surprised that so many people ended up stealing it, as was mentioned in a previous post, I think they could have left anything of value laying around and done the same show. I got the feeling that they ended up having to sit around for a long time to get so much tape. When they were in Las Vegas it looked like they set the bag on top of a trash can in one instance and right next to a trash can in another. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't getting enough footage of people stealing the iPod so they decided to increase the odds a little.
Old 08-02-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see the show but where was the ipod left? If it was on a park bench or something where are you suppose to turn it in at?
Old 08-02-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
A few years ago this woman dropped her iPod as she was leaving the PO. I literally ran after her saying "Miss, your Ipod!!" and waiving it around. She RAN, (I mean, booked) to get away from me like I was crazy or something.
Of course, you forgot to mention you were wearing only cowboy boots and a Speedo at the time.
Old 08-02-07, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by tcoursen
I watched the first part of it. But what they were doing didn't make much sense. They were buying Ipods. Then they were replacing the original software disk with a disk of their own. So when you tried to register it you were actually connecting to them to give them your info. Well, duh, you should be able to catch people if you are doing it that way.

To me doing that didn't prove a damn thing.
What they were trying to prove is that Apple could track down stolen Ipods if they wanted to. The software Apple distributes with Ipods asks for the same information as the Dateline disk. They werent able to get Apple to cooperate and let them use their database, so they had to make their own.
Old 08-02-07, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
A few years ago this woman dropped her iPod as she was leaving the PO. I literally ran after her saying "Miss, your Ipod!!" and waiving it around. She RAN, (I mean, booked) to get away from me like I was crazy or something. I wasn't about to give chase, so I went back to the PO and gave them my card and told them to have her call me if she came back. I checked in with them every week for about 3 months before deciding to put it up on eBay.
She probably stole it from somebody else in the post office.
Old 08-02-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
Have a seat....
lol. I actually BOUGHT mine at Best Buy (yeah, heard that one before).

Kind of off-topic, do they come with installation CDs anymore because I had to download iTunes and the software...
Old 08-02-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I didn't see the show but where was the ipod left? If it was on a park bench or something where are you suppose to turn it in at?
Benches inside malls, food courts, on top of parked cars, on the Vegas strip.

They also left one on the dashboard of a convertible in front of a high school.

And you're right, unless it was inside the mall, where would you turn it in? Heck, in your local shopping mall, do you even know where the lost & found or the main office is? I sure don't.
Old 08-02-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
And you're right, unless it was inside the mall, where would you turn it in? Heck, in your local shopping mall, do you even know where the lost & found or the main office is? I sure don't.
And like above, would you actually trust the minimum wage "customer service" people at the mall to keep it behind the counter until somebody came for it? You could ask for a receipt, but that still won't ensure anything.

What if somebody came back and asked for it?
Loser: "I lost my ipod"
Mall employee: "Can you describe it?"
Old 08-02-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by slappypete
She probably stole it from somebody else in the post office.
I actually saw it fall out of her bag.
Old 08-02-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BlackMontels
What they were trying to prove is that Apple could track down stolen Ipods if they wanted to. The software Apple distributes with Ipods asks for the same information as the Dateline disk. They werent able to get Apple to cooperate and let them use their database, so they had to make their own.
Why is it apples job to help you track down your stolen ipod?

And these ipods were stolen BEFORE they were ever registered to the legit owner. How would that help apple track it down? If I stole your ipod before you ever got it home and registered it how would apple know it was YOUR ipod?

If you don't plan to use iTunes do you even need to ever register it and have it connect on the net? I don't have an ipod but if I did I would probbably not buy songs from iTunes. I already have a lot of my CD's in mp3 format so all I would want to do is transfter them to the ipod. Do you need to register to do that?
Old 08-02-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tcoursen
If you don't plan to use iTunes do you even need to ever register it and have it connect on the net? I don't have an ipod but if I did I would probbably not buy songs from iTunes. I already have a lot of my CD's in mp3 format so all I would want to do is transfter them to the ipod. Do you need to register to do that?
Which is why they were only able to track down 12 of the 20 ipods.
Old 08-02-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Goes to show you how many people out there are willing to take stuff that they know they really have no right to. and the number of people that would rather do this than work to earn stuff for themselves. It also shows you how big of a theft problem the Ipod has become whether it is a brand new one or a used one with lots of personal stuff on it.
Old 08-02-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
...or, it goes to show you how far these shows are willing to go with staging and manipulating people and actually *creating* phony crimes, all for the sake of so-called entertainment.
Old 08-02-07, 02:00 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

A website tested peoples honesty this way

They got people on hidden cameras finding the 'bait wallet'

...Each of the 100 wallets contained $2.10 in real money, a fake $50.00 gift certificate, some miscellaneous items and a clearly written ID card identifying the lost wallet's rightful owner. We were curious as to how honest people would be and wanted to see how different groups would compare to each other. For example, who would return the wallets more often... men or women? Young or old?

http://www.wallettest.com/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.