Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is something missing on 300 DVD???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is something missing on 300 DVD???

OK, am I going crazy here? I saw this movie twice in the theater, and I feel like something is missing on the DVD.

They arrive at the hot gates, the persians get rocked by thunder and huricane winds, we cut away to the queens courtyard and then we come back to the battlefield, where the persian emissary is riding past speared persians and spartans are using persians as mortar for the wall their ancenstors built - OK, the emissary (or whatever he is) comments on the spartans killing the few from the scouting crew, but when did this happen???

I feel like this slaying was shown in the theater but doesn't appear on the DVD - maybe I am just going crazy???
Old 08-02-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Don't worry, I'm crazy too!

I don't go to the theaters anymore (buy all movies on DVD) but back when I used to go to the theaters & see a movie & then buy it on DVD, a couple of times I thought to myself, "Hey, Wheres that part I saw in theaters?". After I then realize that the part I was wondering about never actually happened.

It's all part of getting old.
Old 08-02-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by juice21
OK, the emissary (or whatever he is) comments on the spartans killing the few from the scouting crew, but when did this happen???
Didn't this refer to the part where the scouting crew was kicked into the pit. You know the, "This is SPARTA!" part?
Old 08-02-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by awmurray
Didn't this refer to the part where the scouting crew was kicked into the pit. You know the, "This is SPARTA!" part?
My thought as well...
Old 08-02-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, this happens sometimes. You think you remember a part from the film that never really happened... can't say I've never had it happen to me. The film on DVD is the same as I remember in the theaters though.
Old 08-02-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Sometimes you're remembering stuff from the trailer (TV featurettes, etc) that didn't make the film. Other times (although obviously not in this case) you've seen the TV version of the movie so many times, you don't realize stuff wasn't in the theatrical version.
Old 08-02-07, 11:34 AM

Things that have happened:

1. People read a comic book adaption (or a novelisation) of a movie that included scenes deleted from the original movie; then, later, see the movie again and miss the scene that *know* they saw.

2. People see trailers made before the movie was edited, which include scenes deleted from the theatrical film, but remember them as part of the film.

3. People see other movies about the same subject or historical event, and their memories interchange scenes between the movies.

4. Scenes are actually cut from a film after its theatrical run, or modified, usually for legal reasons.

5. People "remember" scenes that never existed in any form, for reasons best expained by their psychoanalysts.

But I have nothing to contribute about the question at hand, having not yet seen the movie (the DVD is on my pile for this weekend).

r
Old 08-02-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
What about the part where Leonidas is watching Queen Gorgo change by the pool? Don't tell me I'm imagining that.
Old 08-02-07, 12:06 PM

Yep.
Old 08-02-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
What about the part where Leonidas is watching Queen Gorgo change by the pool? Don't tell me I'm imagining that.
Old 08-02-07, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
The guys kicked in the pit were't the scouting crew. It never shows the scouting crew killed. The point of the scene was not to know there were dead persians in there till the guy looks closer. So they wouldnt have made a scene to show them being killed.
Old 08-02-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
where did Leonidas get the apple?
Old 08-02-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by asianxcore
where did Leonidas get the apple?
They stopped at 7-11, which was converted into a KWIK-E- MARTAAAAA!!!
Old 08-02-07, 01:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by rdclark
Things that have happened:

1. People read a comic book adaption (or a novelisation) of a movie that included scenes deleted from the original movie; then, later, see the movie again and miss the scene that *know* they saw.

2. People see trailers made before the movie was edited, which include scenes deleted from the theatrical film, but remember them as part of the film.

3. People see other movies about the same subject or historical event, and their memories interchange scenes between the movies.

4. Scenes are actually cut from a film after its theatrical run, or modified, usually for legal reasons.

5. People "remember" scenes that never existed in any form, for reasons best expained by their psychoanalysts.

But I have nothing to contribute about the question at hand, having not yet seen the movie (the DVD is on my pile for this weekend).

r
Great summary. It's quite an interesting phenomena. And great joke referencing that Bueller thing.....
Old 08-02-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

removed

Last edited by nemein; 08-03-07 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-02-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Yes something is missing its called the theatrical trailer.
Old 08-02-07, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Yes something is missing its called the theatrical trailer.
I agree.
Old 08-02-07, 06:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I guess I am a little crazy - hopefully not reason#5!?!

Anyway, good to hear that I am not alone in this phenomena (although in this particular case I am), and I guess I am getting older? When watching the DVD it just seemed out of nowhere, bam, there were these dead Persians and I didn't remember that surprise while watching it in the theater - probably what ultimately led me to believe I saw their demise on film in the theater.

You've put my mind at ease....thank you!
Old 08-02-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
They stopped at 7-11, which was converted into a KWIK-E- MARTAAAAA!!!
Awesome.