TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rescue Me - "Seven" - 8/01/07

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 12:24 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 266 Likes on 201 Posts
Rescue Me - "Seven" - 8/01/07

Just when it looked like the show might be on it's way back after last week, we get tonight's downer. Other than Zippo's confession this ep was pretty bad.

It seems like they are trying to make this more of a drama, the focus on Tommy's personal life is killing this show right now.
Old 08-02-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was the first episode in the whole show's run that I was bored to the point where I considered changing the channel. It is in a sharp nosedive right now, and I really hope it can somehow recover.
Old 08-02-07, 06:55 AM
Banned

Well, I must have watched a different show.....

I own all three seasons that have been released on DVD, and consider it to be one of the best shows ever produced. The stories ebb and flow, but there is always something interesting going on.

As for this episode -

The first fire sequence was one of the most intense things I've ever seen on television. I was on the edge of my seat - at one point I was sure they were going to lose the new probie, but no. And then the gut-wrenching aftermath. Whoa.

And what about that ending? We all know Tommy isn't gonna do it, but when he was holding that baby over the railing - Holy shit!
Old 08-02-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I hate to be negative since I've been such a champion of this show for the past three years but geez....another mediocre episode in a very mediocre season thus far.

I think my issue this year is really that there are no new storylines, just continuations of last years...it feels like season 3 outtakes to me.
Old 08-02-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, this episode was bad. I thought the big fire sequence was "just okay" and nothing spectacular. Sometimes with the music playing the whole time and not hearing them talk, it takes me out of the situation and feels "off." The ending made me cringe. I'm supposed to believe Tommy wants to drop his baby into the river? Riiiight.

There were a couple funny parts, tho. When the nun was flashing Lou at the basketball game and Mike turned around and Lou was like "hey! Mike, eyes front!" I also liked the subtle zipper pull up by the new chief and the look everyone gave each other when he did that.
Old 08-02-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am getting close to being done with this show if it doesn't turn around. Of all the dumb plot points this show has drug out, and there have been a few, that ending was the stupidest one yet by far. Oh my god, Tommy might throw his baby in the river to save it from the horrible women in his life! Please, give me a break. That is just ridiculously stupid. Tommy has shown nothing at all that would even hint that he was capable of doing something like that.
Old 08-02-07, 10:27 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah unless they have a really clever exlanation next week (maybe it was all a nightmare) that may have been the shark jump for me.
Old 08-02-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Tommy's wife may win the award for biggest bitch on the planet. I'm at the point now where I just cringe whenever she's on screen. Crawling up somebody's ass because they call to check on you is not appropriate... somebody needs to whack her with a rolled up newspaper.
Old 08-02-07, 11:24 AM

The whole season has been pretty bland. The comedy parts seem even enough, but the drama is just missing. I don't care about Franco-BugEyes Sarandon-Pseudo Rae Dawn Chong triangle. I don't care about Shaun's failed marriage. I don't care about Mikey's Neverending Gayness. And I don't care about Tommy's Shredded Family. It seems like it's all passing time until a good scene with Richard or Chief Schlong or something. Amazingly, the best drama of the night was Needles talking about calling his wife and kids and drinking in his office. Agree that the baby cliffhanger is dumb. Leary and Tolan better get on the ball or they'll get replaced soon.
Old 08-02-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are interested, the song playing during the "baby fire" was "the lure would prove too much" by the twilight singers (whose music was also playing during the gavin brothers' street fight last season).
Old 08-02-07, 01:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 266 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by BamaDan
I don't care about Shaun's failed marriage.
Sean and Maggie are the only story away from the firehouse that I've found entertaining at times.
Old 08-02-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Oh man what an even bigger train wreck this show has become. As characters, none of these guys will ever be happy. Once they have a chance, they screw it up, or toss it aside. Kenny immediately comes to mind. After 3 1/2 seasons of watching these guys purposely self destruct, its almost becoming a parody of itself.
Old 08-02-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
As characters, none of these guys will ever be happy. Once they have a chance, they screw it up, or toss it aside.
Realize that the title of the show is not about fires
Old 08-03-07, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Boy you guys are harsh.

I will agree that this season is not as good as the first three. But would I call it bad? Not by a long shot. The show still brings the funny each and every week. I'm never bored with it.

The only problem with this season as I see it is the lack of an overall dramatic arc for the season. There doesn't seem to be anything big being built up to.
Old 08-03-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did laugh at Sean's second reflex slap of Mike after Sean reveals his part in the fire at the apartment.
Old 08-03-07, 11:52 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
The only problem with this season as I see it is the lack of an overall dramatic arc for the season. There doesn't seem to be anything big being built up to.
You know, I've been trying to put my finger on what's been wrong this season, and that's exactly what the problem is. I keep expecting a large story arc to start, and it's not coming. I looked at this season's episode list a couple of days ago and was surprised that we're now over half way done with the year. I know that Janet and the baby is (apparently) supposed to be this season's main ongoing story, but it's not clicking with me, so the season is really slack and episodic to me. Even the chief's depression and suicide seemed to come up within one episode with almost no build-up to it.
Old 08-03-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Well, I must have watched a different show...
I agree with you. I thought it was a gripping, emotional episode.
Old 08-04-07, 12:53 AM

I also thought it was the best of the season thus far. I'm shocked at the beating this episode is taking on the thread. The baby thing at the end is far fetched for sure, but I thought the rest of the episode was great.
Old 08-04-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I did laugh at Sean's second reflex slap of Mike after Sean reveals his part in the fire at the apartment.
Those 2 need a spin off
Old 08-05-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We've got one fireman who gave away his daughter, and Tommy threatening to kill his baby. And people were upset about how women were treated on this show?
Old 08-05-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
We've got one fireman who gave away his daughter, and Tommy threatening to kill his baby. And people were upset about how women were treated on this show?
Good point. The entire "kid" angle is really dragging this show way down. On the other hand, it's no wonder all their kids are pretty awful considering how their parents act. I'm having trouble liking anything about any character on this show at this point...
Old 08-06-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,680 Likes on 2,647 Posts
I'm gradually losing interest this season. This episode had some good moments, but overall it was a snoozer. I don't get why Tommy just doesn't flat out divorce Janet and move on with his life. Janet is a crappy mother and a lousy wife. Even when Tommy tries to date other women like Nona and Sheila, they seem to have lots of similarities to Janet.
Old 08-07-07, 11:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
On happier, and gratuitous note, the scene of Sheila getting out of the shower was rather pleasant.

Thos.