Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Infernal Affairs - Tartan R2 vs Tawain R0?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to pick up a copy of Infernal Affairs, and I'm not sure whether the Tartain R2 or the Tawain R0 is the better bet. I hear the picture on the R0 is great, and the lack of PAL speed-up is nice. However, the R2 AV is suppose to good as well, and it includes the commentary.

Does anyone have any suggestion either way?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I don't think any of the Chinese releases of IA have an English sub option on the commentary track.

If you don't care too much about the commentary track, I'd recommend the R0 Mega Star release. The 2-Disc is OOP, but I believe a new single disc version is out. If you do, the R2 Tartan release might be your only option for an English subbed commentary track.

Mega Star (1-Disc release)
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything, or if a better version is available.

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-02-07 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the help!

If a decent commentary exists for a film, I'll almost always pick up a version that includes it, so I'm more than likely go with the Tartan.

Any comments on the quality of the commentary? The only other subtitled commentary I've taken in is the one on the Masters of Cinema release of Onibaba, and despite the extra attention it required, I enjoyed it greatly.

Thanks again!
Old 08-02-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i haven't picked up any of the infernal affairs boxsets because something tells me Tartan (UK) will release a super duper release at some point.
Old 08-02-07, 06:12 PM

get it on blu-ray!
Old 08-02-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by tinlunlau
get it on blu-ray!
I am thinking of going that route soon. The R1 release of IA I have is so-so compared to the 2-Disc SE's I have of IA2 and IA3.

Dr. Forrester, here is a review I found of the R2 Tartan release. They didn't seem to like the commentary too much:
http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59447
Old 08-02-07, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Dr. Forrester, here is a review I found of the R2 Tartan release. They didn't seem to like the commentary too much:
http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59447
I've seen that review (love that dvd-basen!), and it seems like they disliked the format of the commentary more than its actual content. I'll admit subtitled commentaries are a bit more laborious to get through, but ultimately I really appreciate being able to learn more about the production of a film I enjoy.
Old 08-02-07, 11:45 PM

The best release for the entire IA trilogy for English speakers is currently the Tartan r2 discs.

They have pretty much all of the extras except part 2's commentary track and also importantly they all feature the best English translations for all three films on the market.

So I wholeheartedly recommend the Tartan UK discs for anyone needing English language releases for all of the films.
Old 08-03-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by tinlunlau
get it on blu-ray!

Have to agree with you, if BLU-capable, give it a shot!

Pro-B
Old 08-03-07, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Have to agree with you, if BLU-capable, give it a shot!

Pro-B
I agree. The OP will be happier in the long run.
Old 08-03-07, 07:54 PM

If by "OP" you mean me, I'm not going to dip into the high-def pool for a few years, so an SD release would be more appropriate for myself. While I can appreciate the increase in AV quality with high-def releases, I'm first and foremost an "extras" fan, not a home theater enthusiast, so I'll take a release with good-great SD quality picture and sound stacked with extras than a relatively barebones high-def release any day of the week.

And yes, I know the BR of Infernal Affairs has extras, but as I don't speak Cantonese and the same extras are subtitled on the SD Tartan release, I'm going to stick with the R2 Tartan.

Last edited by Dr. Forrester; 08-03-07 at 08:00 PM.