Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of '300' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of '300' (Blu-ray)

Old 08-01-07, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk review of '300'

I read Daniel Hirshleifer's DVD review of 300 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29516 and...

I think it's rather unfortunate that this title was not chosen for the DVD Talk Collector's Series, merely for the fact that it did not include an extra that was added to the title IN A DIFFERENT FORMAT. If there were problems with the image, or if the audio transfer was flawed, if the extras didn't relate to the movie or if there were other technical issues with the disk, then yes it does deserve to be counted as a negative.

However after reading this review (probably the only review I've read from this critic), I firmly assert that Mr. Hirshleifer cannot be expected to give an un-biased review of blu-ray selections by their own merit.

I sincerely hope that the maintainers of the DVD Talk site re-evaluate the criteria for ratings and impose them for how they stand on their own and not in comparison to other irrelevant bulletpoints.

Last edited by braintez; 08-01-07 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by braintez
However after reading this review (probably the only review I've read from this critic), I firmly assert that Mr. Hirshleifer cannot be expected to give an un-biased review of blu-ray selections by their own merit.

I sincerely hope that the maintainers of the DVD Talk site re-evaluate the criteria for ratings and impose them for how they stand on their own and not in comparison to other irrelevant bulletpoints.
How is the review biased? The disc is missing an important extra found on another existing edition. That's directly relevant to which edition the potential viewer should purchase.
Old 08-02-07, 12:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The extra features in question were meant to be on both HD DVD and Blu-ray, but WB could not figure out how to get them to work on Blu-ray (which, in my opinion, is BS - Lionsgate and Disney have gotten similar interactive features to work on their Blu-rays). They are rather significant features that cannot be done on DVD and thus would make the Blu-ray version stand out from its counterparts, but since WB decided to omit them, why should I not call them on it? The real complaint should be that WB is sitting in their studio without a clue as to how to make these features work.
Old 08-02-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-02-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The real complaint should be that WB is sitting in their studio without a clue as to how to make these features work.
To be fair, picture-in-picture video as implemented on HD DVD doesn't exist on Blu-ray yet. The way Lionsgate has been doing it is actually encoding a completely separate version of the movie with the PIP video burned in, and that's time-consuming and expensive.
Old 08-02-07, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe the reviewer should/could have reviewed the HD-DVD version?
I guess that would be the more recommended edition according to this review?
Old 08-02-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
Maybe the reviewer should/could have reviewed the HD-DVD version?
Another reviewer is tackling that.

For my money, it'd be irresponsible for a reviewer not to note that one release is underfeatured compared to another.
Old 08-02-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
To be fair, picture-in-picture video as implemented on HD DVD doesn't exist on Blu-ray yet. The way Lionsgate has been doing it is actually encoding a completely separate version of the movie with the PIP video burned in, and that's time-consuming and expensive.
And wastes double the disc space, of course.
Old 08-02-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by braintez
I read Daniel Hirshleifer's DVD review of 300 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29516 and...

I think it's rather unfortunate that this title was not chosen for the DVD Talk Collector's Series, merely for the fact that it did not include an extra that was added to the title IN A DIFFERENT FORMAT.
Actually it doesn't contain THREE extras:

- Picture in picture commentary
- "Vengeance & Valor" Game
- Create Your Own Montage

Those are three pretty cool features, and one of those alone is reason enough to withhold the "Collector's" tag. Blu-ray may be a different format, but it's the same technology as HD DVD. Had Daniel withheld a "Collector's" tag for the DVD version, then you'd have an argument to make...but there's no reason why a reviewer can't weigh HD DVD vs. Blu-ray when doing a review. In fact, most readers here WANT that comparison.
Old 08-02-07, 11:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exactly. Of course, had I given it the Collector's Series rating, I would have had people in another thread complaining that my choice wasn't approved by a 5-member committee of my peers.
Old 08-02-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Exactly. Of course, had I given it the Collector's Series rating, I would have had people in another thread complaining that my choice wasn't approved by a 5-member committee of my peers.