http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...l-part-ii.html
Old 07-30-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exclusive blu-ray features boooooooo!
Old 07-30-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im gonna pick up the DC and part II. I liked em enough.
Old 07-30-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm hoping for some kind of "exclusive two-pack" at BB or somewhere. I like the sound of the alt. ending for the first film, and I enjoyed the second a lot more than the first. And I'm glad Roth flat out said he wanted to load up the DVD for part 2 so that there wouldn't have to be a double dip. Although it is Sony putting it out...
Old 07-31-07, 02:21 AM

i'll get both too. i thought hostel 2 wasn't nearly as good as the first, but that's ok. eli roth does good commentaries.
Old 07-31-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even through Hostel: Part II is supposed to be a truly awful movie, I still want to see it just to see how truly awful it really is. I thought the first Hostel was disappointing but it wasn't a "Bad" horror movie by any means. I'm sure as hell not going to double dip on Hostel, it's just not worth it. Eli Roth is probally one of the worst directors in the genre in years but at least Cabin Fever was half decent.
Old 07-31-07, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Eli Roth is probally one of the worst directors in the genre in years but at least Cabin Fever was half decent.
Thats kind of a silly statement considering you just said that 1/3 of his output was half decent. "One of the worst" seems a bit like hyperbole to me. Plus, there are WAY shittier directors out there.
Old 07-31-07, 07:35 AM

Oh, and there are parts of Hostel II that I really didn't like. Thoroughly unpleasant, and not really scary.
Old 07-31-07, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Even through Hostel: Part II is supposed to be a truly awful movie, I still want to see it just to see how truly awful it really is. I thought the first Hostel was disappointing but it wasn't a "Bad" horror movie by any means. I'm sure as hell not going to double dip on Hostel, it's just not worth it. Eli Roth is probally one of the worst directors in the genre in years but at least Cabin Fever was half decent.
I loved Cabin Fever and Hostel was some of the most fun I have ever had at a theater but Hostel Part II was just dreadful.

As far as the 2nd release of the original Hostel, the first disc has a good Tarantino/Roth commentary and pretty decent documentary so I don't really feel the need to buy another Hostel DVD. It also had what I assume will be the ending of the director's cut as a deleted scene, which to me wouldn't work at all. The ending as he cut it originally was perfect.
Old 07-31-07, 08:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd rent this - to see the extra grue and extras, but the movie didn't really impress me all that much.
Old 07-31-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm picking up both. I never got around to getting the first Hostel because I figured this would happen.
Old 07-31-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm all over these.. I have wanted to see the original ending for awhile now.
Old 07-31-07, 11:52 AM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by zombeaner
Thats kind of a silly statement considering you just said that 1/3 of his output was half decent. "One of the worst" seems a bit like hyperbole to me. Plus, there are WAY shittier directors out there.
I loved Cabin Fever and Hostel was some of the most fun I have ever had at a theater but Hostel Part II was just dreadful.
/
Billy Batts
As far as the 2nd release of the original Hostel, the first disc has a good Tarantino/Roth commentary and pretty decent documentary so I don't really feel the need to buy another Hostel DVD. It also had what I assume will be the ending of the director's cut as a deleted scene, which to me wouldn't work at all. The ending as he cut it originally was perfect.
Oops, Sorry guys I was thinking about Uwe Boll. I keep forgetting which one is which. Actually Eli Roth isn't that horrible now that i remember which one is which. Uwe Boll has made way more awful movies (Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, House of the Dead, etc...).
apologies to Mr. Roth for associating him with those garbage movies.
Old 07-31-07, 11:53 AM
Cool New Member

Does anybody know what the original ending is?
Old 07-31-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by zombeaner
Thats kind of a silly statement considering you just said that 1/3 of his output was half decent. "One of the worst" seems a bit like hyperbole to me.
Considering the hype and exposure he gets, I don't think it's an exaggeration. He's not even in the same league as Aja, Neil Marshall or Rob Zombie. That said, I'm gonna stay far far away from Hostel 2.
Old 07-31-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Considering the hype and exposure he gets, I don't think it's an exaggeration. He's not even in the same league as Aja, Neil Marshall or Rob Zombie. That said, I'm gonna stay far far away from Hostel 2.
So you're saying because of "Hype and Exposure" he's one of the worst directors??

How can you criticize and base someone's directing skill on "hype and exposure"?

It would be fine if you said he cant direct, thats your opinion, cool, but to criticize him based on hype and exposure is a little ridiculous. Just because he likes to promote his films and get the word out, dont hold it against him.

Let's not turn this into a bash Eli Roth thread. There are enough of those on the net.

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 07-31-07 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-31-07, 01:32 PM

^^^ I agree, thats a pretty silly to say he's a bad director because he likes to promote his films & get people to go see them. That's like saying The Simpsons: Movie is awful because FOX promoted it to well.

Saying he's not even in the same league as Rob Zombie is a strange thing to say. I think Eli Roth's movies are better then anything Zombie has done. House of 1000 Corpses & The Devil's Rejects were alright but Hostel & Cabin Fever were more intresting in my opinion.

Of course Eli Roth doesn't have the pressure of doing a remake of Halloween, Which I hope is decent but like most remakes, they tend to be pretty awful.
Old 07-31-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
So you're saying because of "Hype and Exposure" he's one of the worst directors??
Obviously no...

But, for the sake of keeping this thread on track, let's leave it at that.
Old 07-31-07, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by alongoria
Does anybody know what the original ending is?
From IMDB.

Spoiler:
The original ending in the script ended with Paxton kidnapping the Dutch Businessman's daughter, then as they leave on a train he covers her mouth to prevent her from screaming (it's unclear whether or not he is helping her or if he is going to hurt her). This ambiguous ending was changed for the film because test screenings thought the ending was too dark and not satisfying enough. Roth then re-shot the ending that made it into the final cut (Paxton killing the Dutch Businessman). The alternate ending will be on the DVD.
Old 07-31-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're already contradicting yourself by putting Neil Marshall in the same sentence with Zombie and Aja. I wanted to put a gun in my mouth during House of 1000 Corpses and Haute Tension was fucking garbage that went to hell after the first half an hour. Neither are good horror films despite their constant mutual masturbation by losers on the internet. Marshall's Dog Soldiers and The Descent are light years ahead of what Aja and Zombie have ever commited to film (and The Hills Have Eyes and The Devil's Rejects were alright, but nothing to write home about).

At least Roth is 2 for 3. Cabin Fever is what it is, a comedic horror film as it pays homage to the genre during the 80s while Hostel is an entertaining thriller.

Hostel: Part II on the other hand.....
Old 07-31-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Neither are good horror films despite their constant mutual masturbation by losers on the internet...
Obviously, you prefer to masturbate on your own...
Old 08-01-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Obviously, you prefer to masturbate on your own...
Obviously, you're not a golfer...
Old 08-01-07, 11:42 PM

Eli Roth is more of a rock star than a film directior. I'll pass on this one.
Old 08-02-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I agree that Roth is all about ego and I certainly didn't enjoy when he acted like his movie was the first movie to be harmed by internet downloads... but that has nothing to do with this movie coming out on DVD, does it?

I'll probably be purchasing this just to complete the Hostel collection on my DVD shelf, but hopefully there are a lot of features to make this a truly worthwhile purchase. The movie in my opinion was pretty bad and I'd at least like to see and hear about what kind of thought processes went into making this 'less than' sequel.
Old 01-03-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from myspace

Hostel II tonight on Showtime - with new corrected transfer!

Hey Everyone,

Tonight on Showtime at 7:00 (PST, check local listings), at long last, is Hostel Part II. I have kept quiet about this, but I was heartbroken about the DVD transfer. Something happened somewhere down the technical chain of command that made the film look much darker and contrasty than the film was ever supposed to look. The skin tones are off, and the blood looks too black. It somehow got "double lutted" or something, it's the only way to explain it technically, and this happened while I was overseas, so it never got caught. It's not how it looked in cinemas, and it's been torturing me that this is the only version out there. It was just a technical error and Sony was very apologetic and and let me re-transfer the film so that you can see the background, with corrected skin color and most importantly, corrected blood color.

As of right now there's no plans to re-issue the DVD or Blu Ray, perhaps at some point in the future, but right now this is the best way to see the film. Sony Home Video did reassure me that if they do reissue the film that fans will be able to swap out their DVDs and Blu Rays for a new one. I was adamant about that, and they agreed fans should not have to buy the film twice. It was just human error in the manufacturing. But as I said, right now there are no plans for a new one. Hopefully that will change, and I will certainly keep you posted if it does.

Now, since I'm in Berlin still working on "Inglorious Basterds," I can't actually be there in the U.S. to watch it and make sure that the corrected version is the one that made it to cable,( although everyone assured me it was.) So if you guys see it please let me know if there's a difference between what runs on cable and the version you have on DVD.

I'm having a blast working Quentin's film, and detailed my latest exploits in a blog the other day if you're interested in hearing about me and a bunch of naked Germans. "Inglourious Basterds" hits cinemas in the U.S.
August 21st!

Happy New Year!!

Eli

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.