Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Saturday Night Live:The Complete 2nd Season --- December, 2007?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

No official announcement from Universal yet but tvshowsondvd.com has indicated that the DVD is being planned and they are targeting to be released in December.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7753
Old 07-30-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
Sweet!
Old 07-30-07, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At this pace, we will be getting the 25th season on 2030.
Old 07-30-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ That is something they should consider IMO. In season 1, they didn't come close to firing on all cylinders. On the other hand, I would love to pick up any of the years '89-'95 or so... or some of the earlier seasons with Eddie Murphy.
Old 07-30-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
^ That is something they should consider IMO. In season 1, they didn't come close to firing on all cylinders. On the other hand, I would love to pick up any of the years '89-'95 or so... or some of the earlier seasons with Eddie Murphy.
Same here. I'll pick these early years up eventually, but I'd be much more excited for those early 90s seasons. If they want to get through the original cast years first that's fine, but I don't want to wait through all those awful years in the 80s waiting for what I really want.

I really thinking skipping around would be best for them anyway. It would open sales to a wider audience I'd think. I'm sure there's a lot of people who really only want a few years of what they consider the best era.
Old 07-31-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't usually like when they release the seasons in order, then suddenly jump ahead like Law & Order for example, where they released the 1st year then jumped ahead 13 seasons & released the 14th year. Same goes for the DVD releases of Frasier, etc...
With SNL it's a different case in my opinion because the 90s would be considered in my opinion (& many others) as the "Golden era" of SNL & I would love to own some of those seasons on DVD before 2030. I will pick up every season based on my completest issues but i definitely think if they are only going to be releasing 1 season a year, they should jump ahead into the 90s. They would most definitly sell very well & after they release say all 10 seasons in the 90s then they should take a poll for people to vote on, to see which era people wan't to see released next.
Old 07-31-07, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
With SNL it's a different case in my opinion because the 90s would be considered in my opinion (& many others) as the "Golden era" of SNL & I would love to own some of those seasons on DVD before 2030.
I'm guessing those would be the opinions of people who were teenagers in the '90s.

I was 10 in '75, but I watched every episode back then and consider the first five years, with the original NRFPTPs to be the best. In the mid to late '70s it was SCTV at 11:00, SNL at 11:30 and then Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

I'm pretty much just going to get the first five seasons, but there was that one later season with Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest that was pretty brilliant.
Old 07-31-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for all the packaging geeks like myself, im nervously awaiting what the size of the s2 box will be. or if universal will make another bigger limited edition along with the smaller box. goooooo big!
Old 08-31-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

A month ago, we had the scoop that Saturday Night Live - The Complete 2nd Season WOULD see a DVD release in the final month of this year. Now Universal has made it official!

This morning the studio announced an 8-disc set, due to be released on December 4th. Video is in the original full-frame, audio is English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, and there are English subtitles available, too. Join new cast member Bill Murray, and you can expect a season's worth of sketches, skits and - per the studio - "all the original musical performances." Cost is $69.98 SRP. Stay tuned for cover art, and any additional information we can get.
Guess I should finally get around to watching the rest of Season 1...

Rob
Old 08-31-07, 05:52 PM
Banned

Bill Murray=SOLD
Old 09-01-07, 10:20 AM

8 Discs of mediocrity! ; I’m just kidding.

I’m glad that season two is finally coming out but if Universal is only going to release 1 DVD season a year, they’ll never catch up. Of course I really don’t care if they make it ti’ll this past season (06-07’) cause this year was dreadful.

I’m very curious about the Box style Universal is going to use for the season two DVD. Even through the 1st season DVDs box was huge, the leather & all- black look was very classy & I hope the season two box is exactly the same & they don’t make it skinnier.

Should be good!
Old 09-01-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd pick it up, just for Bill Murray.
Old 09-01-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
All the seasons of SNL are going to be uneven except for the really bad years that will suck all the way through. I'm enjoying season 1 and its nice to see the show evolve. Can't wait for season 2. I would like all the original cast years, but have to admit it woudl be nice if they would jump ahead and put out the seasons starting with the second year Lorne was back.
Old 09-13-07, 08:03 AM

Here’s the artwork...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sat...2-Box-Art/8062

I’m glad that they are keeping with the same case format as the 1st season. I would have rather seen a picture of the entire cast on the cover picture like the 1st season set.
Old 11-02-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are the extras, according to TVShowsOnDVD.com:

• SNL Mardi Gras Special
• Dress Sketch 1 (Audio Only)
• Dress Sketch 2 (Audio Only)
• Andy Kaufman Screentest
• Trailers (30 Rock< & Chuck and Larry)

I've never seen the infamous Mardi Gras special, I'm glad they're including it.

Rob
Old 11-02-07, 09:23 PM

I am hungry! for season 2, to see the coneheads consume mass quantities, and the cheeseburger-cheeseburger sketches. not to mention those 2 wild and crazy guys seeking out those american foxes with those big american breasts!!! how can we forget gilda radner's new charactor for season 2 - rosanne rosanadana, or point-counterpoint with dan ackroyd and jane curtain. we lose chevy chase, get bill murray, and get some great new sketches!!!
Old 11-03-07, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Why couldn't they alternate between the early seasons and the 1985+ ones?

Because sesons 1-4 are hands down the best seasons of all.
Old 11-03-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the original cast, but I would also love to see them skip ahead and alternate between the 70s and 85+.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what will be cut out of this "complete" second season. The first season was definitely missing bits and pieces. Doesn't ruin the set, but I would like to know what had to be cut out for legal reasons, etc.

Its interesting how many skits and commercials where only shown once or had music or something changed later. The music change for the gay beer commercial, the Jay Mohr bar skit that nearly caused a law suit, profanity, stuff that angered the network or the producers and so on.
Old 11-03-07, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
I loved the original cast, but I would also love to see them skip ahead and alternate between the 70s and 85+.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what will be cut out of this "complete" second season. The first season was definitely missing bits and pieces. Doesn't ruin the set, but I would like to know what had to be cut out for legal reasons, etc.

Its interesting how many skits and commercials where only shown once or had music or something changed later. The music change for the gay beer commercial, the Jay Mohr bar skit that nearly caused a law suit, profanity, stuff that angered the network or the producers and so on.

After the 82 season the show was pretty much garbage until the early 90's cast.
Old 11-03-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flyboy
Have to disagree. The show took off in 1986, the second year Lorne was back.
Carvey, Nealon, Hartman, Lovitz and so on were strong long before Sandler and co showed up in 1990.
Old 11-03-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Considering the length of time it would take to get through EVERY season at the current rate of one season every year, what they should do is release one season from each decade at the same time. It might jump around a bit, but at least it would be pleasing most fans and it would get through the series much faster.
Old 11-04-07, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by flyboy
early to mid 80s had eddie murphy, billy crystal, martin short. garbage???
Old 11-04-07, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by jgorow
early to mid 80s had eddie murphy, billy crystal, martin short. garbage???
Aye....compared to the Original cast it was garbage....EM was the best of what you listed, but by 83 his SNL was winding down. Martin Short not funny to me, Crystal....ok.
Old 11-04-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Universal can start trying two seasons a year, the past 10-12 years are not worth waiting 25-30 years for
Old 12-11-07, 01:41 PM
Banned

Just got my season 2 DVD. ANd yet again...NO FU*KING BOOKLET!!!
What in the hell is going on. Last year the booklet was even advertised on the back of the box. This time it wasnt but I ordered it online and Still no booklet. Is there a number you can call to get these booklets because frankly I am a little pissed after spending $45 and still not getting the booklet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.