Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3 (Not LA Noire)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/...ve-to-the-ps3/

Great news for PS3 owners.
Old 07-28-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Meh. What's their track record outside of GTA? Table Tennis? State of Emergency? Manhunt? Barely blips on the radar.

It will be interesting to find out what it is though.
Old 07-28-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Well, Bully and The Warriors both kicked ass. We'll see.
Old 07-28-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

...and didn't sell.

Keep trying.
Old 07-28-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
...and we know that Sony didn't pay for the exclusive rights since they just said in the last month that they don't have to pay for exclusives.
Old 07-28-07, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter if it sells well or not. Rockstar Games are usually awesome and this is great news for PS3 owners.
Old 07-28-07, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Meh. What's their track record outside of GTA? Table Tennis? State of Emergency? Manhunt? Barely blips on the radar.

It will be interesting to find out what it is though.
Gamespot scores for recent Rockstar games:

Manhunt - 8.4
Bully - 8.7
Table Tennis - 8.5
The Warriors - 8.6
Red Dead Revolver - 7.3
Midnight Club - 8.4
Midnight Club II - 7.3
Midnight Club III - 8.3

(stolen from someone on AVS)
Old 07-28-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reviews mean shit. See Beyond Good & Evil and Viva Pinata. A well reviewed game doesn't guarantee your company money. A well sold game does.
Old 07-28-07, 12:09 PM
mbs

Reviews mean shit. See Beyond Good & Evil and Viva Pinata. A well reviewed game doesn't guarantee your company money. A well sold game does.
No, it doesn't indicate that this title/franchise will be a commercial success. But there is a good chance this means another quality game available for the PS3. Which is good news for PS3 owners.
Old 07-28-07, 12:10 PM
Banned

Do you play/buy games to have fun or to be content that some company just made money off your purchase?
Old 07-28-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Old 07-28-07, 12:41 PM
Banned

When you're consumed by hate, you're bound to say shit that doesn't make sense.
Old 07-28-07, 12:57 PM

State Of Emergency sold like hotcakes there initially. Don't know how that's of any relevance, though.

I'd much rather play a great game than a great-selling game.
Old 07-28-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
When you're consumed by hate, you're bound to say shit that doesn't make sense.
Too much. Nice personal attack.

1+1=2

You posted all of Rockstar's games that were well/decently reviewed, all of which sold below expectations. (1) I compared that to Viva Pinata and Beyond Good & Evil, two excellently reviewed titles by other companies that also sold poorly. (+1)Just because you make a great game that gets good review scores doesn't mean that it will sell well. (=2) Meaning this exclusive means nothing at this point with their track record of not lighting the world on fire outside of the GTA universe. What's so hard to grasp?

Lastly, this isn't a thread about the game, as there is exactly jack and shit known about it. This is a braggerts thread and that's all it boils down to. "Ha ha we got an exclusive." Prove it otherwise? It should be in the PS3 thread until something concrete is known about the game.
Old 07-28-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
State Of Emergency sold like hotcakes there initially. Don't know how that's of any relevance, though.

I'd much rather play a great game than a great-selling game.
But that's my point. I think we all would. This isn't a thread about the game, this is all about bragging rights. See above.
Old 07-28-07, 01:12 PM

I love The Warriors and Manhunt. At least we all know that Rockstar is capable of providing us with really fun, well tought games...

As long as they keep me busy, who cares if they dont sell like Halo?
Old 07-28-07, 01:15 PM
mbs

This is a braggerts thread and that's all it boils down to. "Ha ha we got an exclusive." Prove it otherwise? It should be in the PS3 thread until something concrete is known about the game.
It's a thread about a news snippet. I don't see anyone bragging. I own both a 360 and a PS3 and find this news interesting. Because (1) since Sony claimed they would not pay for exclusivity, is this still true? and (2) it's good news for the PS3, which by some accounts, is a struggling platform at the moment.

No one is bragging that I have seen. Example?

Your comments earlier seemed to serve no purpose but to poo-poo this news. If you don't care about the news, you don't have to post in the thread about it. I don't understand your issue with their games not selling well. Why should we care? Viva Pinata didn't sell well -- would you be happier without it on the 360?

Re-read the thread. You are the one being antagnostic in this thread.
Old 07-28-07, 01:34 PM
Banned

Eh, most game companies typically only have one or two franchises that sells well to the mass market.

Epic was relatively unknown to the masses pre-Gears of War.

Irrational is getting tons of press with Bioshock, but before that what have they done that sold well?

What does Team Ninja have other than those Dead or Alive games and Ninja Gaiden?

Factor 5's Lair is getting pimped a lot, but does anyone consider that other than their Rogue Squadron games, they have made nothing worthwhile.

Drake's Fortune by Naughty Dog is looking good, but Naughty Dog has never done anything previously besides countless Crash Bandicoot and Jax and Daxter games.

Heavenly Sword is another PS3 game said to be a system seller, but the developer Ninja Theory has NEVER made a game before it. This is their first game EVER.

And let's not forget Squaresoft who is all Final Fantasy this, Final Fantasy that.

The companies that actually have multiple best selling franchises could probably be counted on one hand. Off the top of my head, all I can think of is Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, and maybe Ubisoft.
Old 07-28-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer

Epic was relatively unknown to the masses pre-Gears of War.
Yeah... cause everyone knows how much the Unreal franchise sucks and was so unpopular with the masses.....
Old 07-28-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GTA series didn't sell at all until part 3 came out, who's to say how this one will sell.
Old 07-28-07, 01:59 PM

I agree, until there's actually a game, there's really nothing to talk about. I remember how excited everyone was when MS bought Rare, and except for the brilliant but mediocre selling Viva Pinata, that hasn't really produced much of note. (God, Grabbed By The Ghoulies was truly awful). So let's see.

Having said that (and not to thread crap at all), I don't see much incentive in a big independent company putting out a game that's PS3 exclusive. If it's a Japanese RPG, that's a different story, but for a game with big US appeal, the installation base is so much higher at present for the 360 that I just don't see how avoiding that market makes much sense any more. Financially, there doesn't seem to be a way that they don't take a hit (unless they're given some amazing perks like waiving the licensing fee or something).
Old 07-28-07, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Yeah... cause everyone knows how much the Unreal franchise sucks and was so unpopular with the masses.....
Unreal was moderately successful, but I don't think it ever reached the mass market. It was a PC only game, so that limited its appeal right there because the mass market really isn't into PC gaming. Even among PC gaming fans, the Unreal series still usually ranks below the likes of Doom, Quake, and Half-life.
Old 07-28-07, 02:11 PM
Banned

Too much. Nice personal attack.

1+1=2

You posted all of Rockstar's games that were well/decently reviewed, all of which sold below expectations. (1) I compared that to Viva Pinata and Beyond Good & Evil, two excellently reviewed titles by other companies that also sold poorly. (+1)Just because you make a great game that gets good review scores doesn't mean that it will sell well. (=2) Meaning this exclusive means nothing at this point with their track record of not lighting the world on fire outside of the GTA universe. What's so hard to grasp?
Sales of the game is not relevant to the topic! Stop trolling.
Old 07-28-07, 02:15 PM
Banned

But that's my point. I think we all would. This isn't a thread about the game, this is all about bragging rights. See above.

I don't see anyone bragging. Maybe it should have just been posted in the PS3 thread because there's nothing to discuss but what you posted in post #2 is akin to saying "Oh this band sucks anyway" in the music forum.

Your posts were reported for trolling. You don't even have a PS3.
Old 07-28-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really this thread is a bucket of useless. Corvin is right - since nothing in known about the game other than it's a Rockstar production, it's essentially a one-upper thread. MSFT gets GTA exclusive but so what, PS3 gets something too!

The bickering in this thread needs to stop now. From all sides.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.