Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Evan Almighty" budget: $175,000,000 ... WTF?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I just discovered that Evan Almighty cost $175,000,000 to make. The same amount they spent on Waterworld, and $25 million short of Titanic. Is this why ticket prices are so high? Is CGI animation that expensive?
Old 07-28-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, at least it got great reviews and did great at the box office.
Old 07-28-07, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As of now, Evan Almighty has only grossed (approximately) $98m internationally. Ouch.
Old 07-28-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen it, and I'm sure there were a bunch of FX shots, but I'd really like to see where most of that budget went.
Old 07-28-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
It'll make it back on DVD.
Old 07-28-07, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoa. I'm perplexed too. How much is Carrell worth, per movie? I'm sure he wasn't that big a star.
Old 07-28-07, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The budget still perplexes me as well.
Old 07-28-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm very curious why this movie had such a huge budget as well. Hell Ocean's 13 only had a budget of $85,000,000 & Clooney, Pitt & Damon are pretty much bigger stars than the whole Evan Almighty cast put together. Evan Almighty had John Goodman but he wouldn't be that pricy would he?
I wouldn't think CGI would cost that much. This is one of the few movies that I don't think will make the money back on DVD sales.
Old 07-28-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Maybe Jim Carrey had a "Play or pay" deal that drove the cost up, but $175 million still seems ridiculously high.
Old 07-28-07, 09:57 AM
Banned

Actually i believe the budget went over $250 million and then you have to add at least $50 million more for advertising/marketing.
Old 07-28-07, 10:50 AM
Banned

Yeah? Well I heard it cost over $400 million!!!11! Plus catering cost!
Old 07-28-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
If you didn't know how much this movie cost to make, it actually did okay all things consider. Basically making $100 million domestically (it hasn't been released many places overseas), even though the reviews were mediocre at best and its a sequel to a mediocre film.

Obviously spending that much on a comedy is pretty foolish, and in the end it was doomed by delays and such. But it should end up being a manageable fiasco for Universal.
Old 07-28-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you imagine what it cost to have all of the animal trainers to get all of those animals to line up two by two? And how much they had to pay to replace animals when the higher up the food chain animals would eat the lower down the food chain animals? I am surprised it was only $6.2 billion.
Old 07-28-07, 01:33 PM
Banned

I can't believe that no one's touched upon the fact that it's a comedy based on a Christian biblical story, and much of the country is beginning to lean away from the religious right; and that those who are religious might not want to see Noah depicted in such a way. To say nothing of much of the rest of the world not being Christian, and those folks wouldn't know shit about the story background, as opposed to the Jim Carrey movie, which basically was a story about a man getting deity-like-powers, which is a rather universally understandable thing.

Aside from that, it just might be stupid/unfunny/poorly written. I wouldn't know, I didn't see it; I wouldn't waste my time because (see first paragraph) the subject matter doesn't mean shit to me.

Last edited by zombiezilla; 07-29-07 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-28-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I can't believe that no one's touched upon the fact that it's a comedy based on a Christian biblical story, and much of the country is beginning to lean away from the religious right; and that those who are religious might not want to see Moses depicted in such a way. To say nothing of much of the rest of the world not being Christian, and those folks wouldn't know shit about the story background, as opposed to the Jim Carrey movie, which basically was a story about a man getting deity-like-powers, which is a rather universally understandable thing.

Aside from that, it just might be stupid/unfunny/poorly written. I wouldn't know, I didn't see it; I wouldn't waste my time because (see first paragraph) the subject matter doesn't mean shit to me.
Never have I hoped in my whole life that a post was sarcastic...because this is one of the more ill-informed posts I've ever read. Before dismantling, please verify that it's a joke...thanks.
Old 07-28-07, 02:02 PM

Massive delays in filming due to weather. When it $500,000+ per day to shoot, it adds up fast.
Old 07-28-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Knocked Up's huge success and massive profits doesn't make Universal look completely foolish. DVD pretty much guarantees a movie will make some profit for the studio. I think a movie with a Biblical storyline, being released on dvd at Christmas time will likely translate into sales.
Old 07-28-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Knocked Up's huge success and massive profits doesn't make Universal look completely foolish. DVD pretty much guarantees a movie will make some profit for the studio. I think a movie with a Biblical storyline, being released on dvd at Christmas time will likely translate into sales.
Yea, Knocked Up pretty much picked up the slack for this film anyway to Universal.
Old 07-28-07, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by reubs82
Never have I hoped in my whole life that a post was sarcastic...because this is one of the more ill-informed posts I've ever read. Before dismantling, please verify that it's a joke...thanks.

Dismantle away, be my guest. Doesn't make it any less true from the POV of someone who doesn't (like much of the rest of this planet, shown by ticket sales to this pigshit flop) subscribe to these religious beliefs.
Old 07-28-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it was just a misunderstanding of what made 40 Year Old Virgin such a hit. It's almost like they thought that if they got the same star and added a bunch of CGI that it would make twice as much as 40 Year Old Virgin
Old 07-28-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dismantle away, be my guest. Doesn't make it any less true from the POV of someone who doesn't (like much of the rest of this planet, shown by ticket sales to this pigshit flop) subscribe to these religious beliefs.
amen brotha!
Old 07-28-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those who aren't religious probably didn't have a whole lot of interest. Those who are religious probably thought it looked sacrilicious. You can't please everybody all the time...
Old 07-28-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Those who aren't religious probably didn't have a whole lot of interest. Those who are religious probably thought it looked sacrilicious. You can't please everybody all the time...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mmm... sacrilicious....
Old 07-28-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First of all, if you're going to bash a film for it's "religious" connections, you need to realize that the Flood story isn't a "Christian" story. It's straight out of the book of Genesis, which would make it a Jewish story first and foremost. This, coupled with the other stories of epic destruction by flood, completely negates your simplistic dismissal of the story as "Christian". If anything, the story is universal because of the number of religions that contain some sort of myth. Therefore, the movie's failure has nothing to do with the fact that America is leaning away from the religious right.

Secondly, Moses has nothing...not jack shit...to do with the flood story. That's all that needs to be said about that.

Finally, the reason the damn film costs so much to make (to go along with all of the other crazy reasons...) is that buying the rights to a story in a best-selling book is never going to be cheap, especially when no one really knows who the story originated with.

But nice try.
Old 07-29-07, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by reubs82
First of all, if you're going to bash a film for it's "religious" connections, you need to realize that the Flood story isn't a "Christian" story. It's straight out of the book of Genesis, which would make it a Jewish story first and foremost. This, coupled with the other stories of epic destruction by flood, completely negates your simplistic dismissal of the story as "Christian". If anything, the story is universal because of the number of religions that contain some sort of myth. Therefore, the movie's failure has nothing to do with the fact that America is leaning away from the religious right.

Secondly, Moses has nothing...not jack shit...to do with the flood story. That's all that needs to be said about that.

Finally, the reason the damn film costs so much to make (to go along with all of the other crazy reasons...) is that buying the rights to a story in a best-selling book is never going to be cheap, especially when no one really knows who the story originated with.

But nice try.

That was almost too easy. And you barely beat me to it. Moses?

It's extremely silly to believe that this country is leaning away from organized religion. I would agree that the minority of non-religious folk have become much louder, but that's all you're seeing. Of course, I'm sure if them close their eyes real tight and concentrate, they can make themselves believe any kind of nonsense they want.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.