Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Another PC to TV question

twikoff
07-27-07, 07:47 PM
ok.. this time its my computer..
i decided to tinker around with a spare machine i have laying around, to use as a media center pc. mce 2005 is currently installed.

I have a geforce 6600 in this old machine.. Today i stopped off and picked up a dvi to rgb rca cable, figuring it was the easiest way to connect quickly.

i have the vga connection on the video card going to a 19" LCD monitor, which looks great.. and the DVI connection going to my 27" Sony Wega (KV-27FS120) in my bedroom.

when i boot into windows.. everything looks fine on the monitor.. but its unviewable on the tv.. there is definitly a signal going over there.. but its appears to be black/grey/white and is broken with jittering vertical lines about every 4 inches.. You can make out whats on the screen enough to tell that its working, but its unusable in current state..

I have the latest geforce drivers loaded.. and it shows my LCD monitor and an Analog display (I guess this is the sony?)
Is there some sort of monitor driver that needs to be loaded?
Some specific appearance settings (resolution, refresh rate, etc..) that need to be setup?

X
07-27-07, 08:58 PM
It's probably your timings. I don't know what the Sony is looking for, but did you try 60Hz?

twikoff
07-27-07, 09:03 PM
60 was the default.. with no options lower (although it listed up to 240 :eek: )
cant go below 800x600 either

i just downloaded and installed powerstrip now.. trying to figure this sucker out

X
07-27-07, 09:28 PM
The Sony Wega probably doesn't take a progressive signal. You'll have to set it as interlaced in PowerStrip.

twikoff
07-28-07, 10:28 AM
still no luck... gone through just about every setting i can find on powerstrip and eventually got some color, but its still all garble.

i normally consider myself a pretty smart fella.. but this one has me stumped :hscratch:

mikehunt
07-28-07, 12:00 PM
is there an svideo out on that card? if so does that work?

twikoff
07-28-07, 12:09 PM
is there an svideo out on that card? if so does that work?

it has a vivo svideo (9 pin) and i couldnt find a 9pin to 4 pin svideo cable at any B&M store.. and hadnt bothered to order one
everything i have read, said i would get the best quality by using the dvi cable, and several sites told me to avoid the svideo option if possible...

but i may be heading back down that road to give it a shot.. not sure if the timings are going to be different that way though :hscratch:

X
07-28-07, 12:24 PM
Once I hooked up an ATI 9600 to a non-progressive 27" Sony Wega and it worked fine. I used the DVI -> component converter.

I'm pretty sure I used PowerStrip to set the signal as interlaced, probably set the resolution to 800x600. I can't remember for sure, but I might have set it to 30Hz instead of 60Hz too.

I would rather watch a blank screen than watch one using a video card's s-video out.

twikoff
07-28-07, 02:11 PM
its right around 30hz that i pick up some colors on the display.. i see reds and blues.. and i can drag windows over the the tv and see them, inside all the garble

i keep feeling like Im getting close... but besides for resolution and refresh, cant figure out what else to change

next I think Ill take it down stairs and connect the RGB to my receiver and see if it shows on my other tv.. but that doesnt help with the wega in the bedroom

X
07-28-07, 03:17 PM
You have it set to interlaced, right?

twikoff
07-28-07, 03:28 PM
yep, but cant quite figure that one out

when its not set to interlaced... i can adjust the refresh down low enough to where i get some color inside the garble
then i can drag a window over and make it out

when i set it to interlaced.. i have more trouble finding any setting where i can pick up any color... and when i get it stable enough to make out whats on the screen... i can tell that the tv is giving 2 displays of the same thing.. sometimes 4, depending on settings.

mikehunt
07-28-07, 04:17 PM
it has a vivo svideo (9 pin) and i couldnt find a 9pin to 4 pin svideo cable at any B&M store.. and hadnt bothered to order one
everything i have read, said i would get the best quality by using the dvi cable, and several sites told me to avoid the svideo option if possible...

but i may be heading back down that road to give it a shot.. not sure if the timings are going to be different that way though :hscratch:

did the card come with an s-video to composite cable? my geforce did
true that's probably the lowest quality possible, but it would at least let you find out if the tv will ever be able to display the pc signal.
get it working with the simplest connection then move up
I didn'thave to mess with any settings to use the svideo to composite, and it's going to a vcr and then to a non-cable ready tv and it looks great

twikoff
07-28-07, 04:27 PM
yea.. im pretty sure the card came with a 9 pin svideo to composite.. and i know i have trashed at least a few hundred of those that we received with dell latitudes at work.. but damned if I can find it now that Im looking for one...

that was actually the first thing i went looking for, before i went out and bought the dvi to rgb cable.. i was actually heading to the store for a 9pin to 4pin svideo.. but since noone had one, and the dvi seemed like a better quality option.. i went ahead and grabbed it..

maybe Ill take another look around for the composite adapter... as i mentioned before.. right now Im just tinkering.. i have an old 1.6ghz machine laying around that never gets used.. so wanted to try it first. then when i buy a replacement for my current desktop, i was going to move my desktop (dell 4700) to become a media center pc

twikoff
07-28-07, 04:53 PM
so i go digging through my oversized plastic containers filled with cables.. and at the the bottom of the 2nd one.. i see a svideo to composite adapter..
woohoo
then i take a closer look.. its 4 pin svideo to composite, which does me no good :(
and i look on the side of the dell latitude and notice its a 7 pin svideo.. so the cables that shipped with these wouldnt do me any good either..

damn! who knew there were so many 'svideo' connectors

i rarely trash any cables.. but damned if i can find the one that came with the 6200

twikoff
07-28-07, 05:34 PM
and as i continue to dig.. i found an old geforce 3 ti 200.. this card has a 4 pin svideo
so i tried a straight svideo connection, and it looks like crap too... i wasnt able to play around with the settings.. because unlike with the dvi connection, this one isnt showing up as a multiple display in my nvidia settings.. but if i chose the option to send to tv.. i can see its sending crap over there

so then i stuck the svideo to composite adapter on and connected that to the tv.. same problem as with going straight svideo.. the picture is garbled (sound is working good though), and it does show up as multiple displays in the nvidia or windows display options.. so I cant go and play around with its timing

DVD Polizei
07-28-07, 05:54 PM
Just an FYI, your particular set is 480i only. Won't accept 480p via the component inputs.

And here's a post/review about a person successfully hooking up a video card to the tv. Doesn't say which brand or model though:

http://www1.epinions.com/content_223252942468

X
07-28-07, 06:08 PM
That reminds me. I probably set mine to be the same as native DVD resolution, the same as what a DVD player puts out - 720x480i. That's what the TV is looking for since it doesn't accept variable resolutions.

Give that a try.

twikoff
07-28-07, 11:14 PM
i posted over on avsforum and got this response

You said you picked up a DVI to RGB cable, but I don't think your Sony can take an RGB input. If I'm right, it only has COMPONENT inputs, which is not the same as RGB. Maybe that's the problem.

You would need a RGB to COMPONENT converter in order to use the DVI/VGA output on the video card, or you have to use s-video or composite connections.
S-video shouldn't be too much worse than component video for this TV since I believe it's just a standard-def set and doesn't support high-def component video anyway. Hope this helps.

Im pretty good with computers, but far from a videophile... I didnt realize there was a difference between RGB and Component..

of course.. I also had issues with both straight svideo and svideo to composite using the geforce3.. so I dunno

X
07-28-07, 11:38 PM
It depends on what your video card can output. Older ATI cards needed a dongle that told the card to output component when they were attached. Sometimes it was possible to make them output component via software, without the dongle too.

Newer nVidia cards have a component converter too. Don't know if yours has one available. I wasn't even thinking about RGB because that is indeed a very different animal.

twikoff
07-29-07, 12:12 AM
im looking all around.. and i just cant find the diff between component and RGB RCA

and whats really confusing.. is alot of sites list it as component (RGB)

argh!

DVD Polizei
07-29-07, 01:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you just buy 3 composite video cables to substitute? Of course, you wouldn't have the color-coded cables for RGB which might be confusing.

X
07-29-07, 02:02 AM
If there is one for your card, you need this type of HDTV cable.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/14-130-075-05.jpg