Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pushing Daisies - pilot episode

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pushing Daisies - pilot episode

This was part whimsy, part weird. The premise is a pie maker has the ability to bring the dead back to life by a single touch, but if he touches them once more, they go back to being dead. He uses this ability to solve murders and collect the reward for solving the cases.

The tone of the show is a little too low-key for me, even if it does dial up the saccharine levels really high by the end of the pilot episode. It's a second-tier, maybe third-tier, show for me.
Old 07-27-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved it, but then Amelie is one of my favorite movies and this has a similar style. However, I'm not very optimistic it will find an audience, even if it can continue to deliver the same quality as a series.

PS. I just finished listening to all the US edition Harry Potter audio books so I recognized Jim Dale's voice immediately. His narration is excellent.
Old 07-27-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked this pilot. I don't see how this balance of quirkiness and dark humor can be maintained, but I'm willing to find out.

It felt like a pilot Tim Burton would've directed.
Old 07-27-07, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed it, but it's probably to quirky for its own good. I just can't see this show getting a big enough audience, but I would love to be wrong. The Wednesday 8PM slot isn't bad, but most of the mouth breathers with Nielsen boxes will probably watch Deal or No Deal

I knew Kristin Chenoweth was short, but she looks like a midget next to Lee Pace.

"You can't just touch somebody's life and be done with it."
"Yes I can. That's how I roll"
Old 07-28-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched (and thoroughly enjoyed) the pilot. I'll be telling everyone about the show, but I doubt it'll last beyond one season.
Old 07-29-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show is too good for basic cable television. It will be cancelled within a season unless it can air on a HBO/Showtime type channel.
Old 07-29-07, 09:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001
This show is too good for basic cable television. It will be cancelled within a season unless it can air on a HBO/Showtime type channel.
There are plenty of great shows on basic cable. The Shield, for instance.
Old 07-29-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good pilot
Old 07-29-07, 11:45 AM

Where are you all watching this? I searched through the listings on my DVR and couldn't find it.
Old 07-29-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^^
[Comment removed. D-]

I agree that of all the new shows this season, this one is the most intriguing. It has a very ethereal fairy-tale quality and the main characters have lots of charisma. That said, I unfortunately have to agree with others here that this show probably won't have a long life.

Last edited by Dead; 07-30-07 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-29-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say I don't like this trend of threads about shows that aren't legitimately available to the public for review. I don't think it's good for this forum based on its prior-stated concerns about talking about things that are questionably legal, and I don't think it's good for the discussion on this forum for the same reason the rules indicate a thread should only be started the day the show airs. I'm really looking forward to this show and don't mind reading about it, but I know I'm the exception when it comes to things like spoilers.
Old 07-29-07, 04:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
To add another nail in the coffin, this was Matt Roush's favorite pilot. His last 2 picks have been Invasion and The Nine
Old 07-29-07, 07:01 PM

Networks wouldn't want to admit that they were leaking it, anyways. Would it be as exciting if the show was sitting on abc's website in plain view?

I've watched this and Reaper so far. Enjoyed this one a lot, and Reaper a little bit. Any others worth watching?
Old 07-30-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is from the people who brought us Wonderfalls and people didn't take that quirky universe so time only tells if this will have better luck.
It may be too out there for the average viewer.
I wish I could see the pilot.
Old 07-30-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about (viral marketing).

How many people didn't even have this show on their radar and now, because of this thread, fully intend to watch the premiere? Can I have a show of hands please?
Old 07-30-07, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Flave
This thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about (viral marketing).

How many people didn't even have this show on their radar and now, because of this thread, fully intend to watch the premiere? Can I have a show of hands please?

Well this thread has currently only been viewed 586 times. So...
Old 07-30-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I enjoyed the pilot and thought it was entertaining I just don't see myself watching this on a weekly basis...
Old 08-08-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it looks like this pilot really was leaked by someone at the studio:

http://allyourtv.com/0708season/news...pedupload.html

Q: So let's get back to an earlier question. Given all of the caveats, why make sure the thing is uploaded at all?

A: I've asked myself that question a lot (laughing). The ironic thing is that as I understand it, other versions of the "Daisies" pilot have also shown up online. So the show didn't even need my help in this way.

I just thought it was a good idea. Even though as (some identifying info removed here) I don't have any direct stake in the show, it's a really great project. It's tough to describe, though, and while it makes great sense once you've seen it, it's one of those shows that will only work if people do tune in at least once.

Which, by the way, is one of the reasons that ABC and Warners are promoting the show in all sorts of venues. The pilot has been screened at everything from auditions for ABC reality shows to Comic-Con. We all believe in the show. And if I can do something that might in some small way help…I can live with that.

One last thing…some of this is also about building pressure with the network. I don't think anyone here involved with "Traveler" was exactly thrilled with the treatment ABC gave the show. But it didn't really have any champions inside either company. And I suppose all of us are hoping that this show gets the support it deserves.
Also, an interesting follow-up:

http://torrentfreak.com/television-s...ce-bittorrent/
Old 08-08-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another one here that enjoyed it. A bit Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish with Amelie and Wonderfalls thrown in.
I'll be watching but is it too weird for a general audience who love stuff like America's Funniest Home videos???

Last edited by riley_dude; 08-10-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-08-07, 04:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Out of several pilots I've seen so far I've enjoyed this the most. It's weird, quirky, funny, beautifully filmed and scripted. I hope it finds an audience but I'm not hopeful that J6P will understand or appreciate it.
Old 08-09-07, 12:47 AM

I'll be watching but is it too weird for a general audience who love stuff like America's Funniest Home videos???
The show doesn't stand a chance. Here's hoping we at least get a full season out of it!
Old 08-09-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
This thread is pathetically short on any useful info.
So when is this show supposed to "officially" start airing, and on what channel?
Old 08-09-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
This thread is pathetically short on any useful info.
So when is this show supposed to "officially" start airing, and on what channel?
Wednesday, October 3rd, 8pm, ABC
Old 08-09-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Thanks!
Old 08-10-07, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Chew
I really liked this pilot. I don't see how this balance of quirkiness and dark humor can be maintained, but I'm willing to find out.

It felt like a pilot Tim Burton would've directed.
Originally Posted by xraybies
It's weird, quirky, funny, beautifully filmed and scripted. I hope it finds an audience but I'm not hopeful that J6P will understand or appreciate it.
I agree with all of this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.