Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jonah Hex - news, rumors, castings

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Warners puts 'Hex' on comic
By Borys Kit
July 24, 2007

Warner Bros. Pictures is saddling up to bring DC Comics' Western anti-hero comic book "Jonah Hex" to the big screen, with filmmakers Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor on board to adapt. Andrew Lazar is producing via his Mad Chance Prods., as is Akiva Goldsman.

Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood.

"Hex" first appeared in the early 1970s in the issues of "All-Star Western" before graduating to his own series in 1977 that ran for about 10 years. A new series was launched in 2005. The character also had a run in the 1990s that combined the Western genre with supernatural elements.

The filmmakers are not making a straight-ahead Western but plan to develop the character with some of the supernatural overtones in the hopes of creating a franchise.

Greg Silverman and Elishia Holmes are overseeing for Warners. Gregory Noveck is overseeing for DC.

Neveldine and Taylor wrote and directed "Crank," which starred Jason Statham.
Old 07-24-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I was watching Dead Birds on Friday night and thinking "someone really needs to make a good western/horror/supernatural film... like the Jonah Hex series from Vertigo." Way cool.
Old 07-24-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news . Hope they do it right.
Old 07-24-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Jonah Hex is badass
Old 07-24-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why do I picture Tommie Lee Jones in this role...is it because he played Two-Face and was in some westerns already?
Old 07-24-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the character and the comics. Oh, I hope they make it more like a mature, supernatural-toned spaghetti western, and not a Van Helsing-ish cgi kiddie crapfest.
Old 07-24-07, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Sam Rockwell
Old 10-10-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Josh Brolin eyes WB's 'Jonah Hex'
'Crank' duo to write, direct comic adaptation
By MICHAEL FLEMING

"W." star Josh Brolin is in talks to star in "Jonah Hex," Warner Bros.’ adaptation of the DC Comics property.

"Crank" writer-directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor wrote the script and will direct.

On Wednesday, both WB and Brolin’s reps denied that a deal was close, but sources said he’s likely to take the job.

Hex, whose face is partly disfigured, is a gunslinger and bounty hunter. The series was hatched by DC in the early 1970s.

The film is being produced by Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road. Lazar’s in production on a "Cats & Dogs" sequel for the studio, and Goldsman, who last produced "Hancock," is developing several films for WB including a prequel to "I Am Legend" that D.B. Weiss is scripting, with Goldsman producing with James Lassiter.

Brolin follows the Oliver Stone-directed "W." with "Milk," the Gus Van Sant-directed drama that casts Brolin as Dan White, the San Francisco pol who gunned down Harvey Milk and George Moscone.

------------------------

So much for Thomas Jane being cast.
Old 10-10-08, 01:35 PM

Heard about this, didn't know Jonah Hex had a following before hearing about the news that Josh Brolin was joining this.
Old 10-10-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Yeah, I can see Brolin as Jonah Hex. If it turns out to be true, it would make me more interested in the movie.

Although he's picked some pretty piss poor movies for the last couple of years, I can see Matthew McConaughey making a pretty good Jonah Hex as well.
Old 11-20-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Neveldine, Taylor leave 'Jonah Hex'
Josh Brolin expected to star in adaptation
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor have dropped out as the directors of "Jonah Hex," the DC Comics property that is expected to headline "W." and "Milk" star Josh Brolin as a partly disfigured gunslinger and bounty hunter.

Neveldine and Taylor wrote the script, but their exit as directors was attributed to "creative differences." The studio is moving quickly to set a new director, determined to keep Brolin in the fold for a spring start. Neveldine and Taylor are best known for writing and directing the Jason Statham starrer "Crank."

"Jonah Hex" is produced by Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman's Weed Road.
Old 01-06-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Jonah Hex - news, rumors, castings

'Horton' helmer has 'Hex' next
DC adaptation to be Jimmy Hayward's live-action debut
By Borys Kit

Jan 6, 2009, 01:00 AM ET

"Jonah Hex"

Jimmy Hayward, who directed the animated "Horton Hears a Who!" will make his live-action debut with "Jonah Hex," the Warner Bros. western based on the DC Comics character.

Josh Brolin is attached to star in the film, which previously had Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor ("Crank") on board as directors. The duo, who also wrote the script, bowed out over creative differences in November. The studio, which hopes to put the movie into production in March or April, went on a fast-track search, putting together a short list that included such names as Andy Fickman and McG before narrowing it down to Hayward.

The character of Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood. One incarnation of his comic book series saw the Western genre combined with supernatural elements, and it's this aspect that was featured in Neveldine and Taylor's script. The studio will likely keep the script, though it's expected that Hayward will put his stamp on it.

Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman's Weed Road are producing.

Hayward, repped by UTA and manager Jason Grode, began his career as an animator on the Canadian TV series "ReBoot" before becoming a member of the Pixar family, where he worked on such films as "Toy Story," "A Bug's Life," "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "Finding Nemo." He also was involved in Fox and Blue Sky's animated film "Robots."

Hayward made his directorial debut with 2008's "Horton," which grossed $154.5 million at the domestic boxoffice.
Old 01-06-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A Pixar, animation guy? Somehow that makes me think they are aiming for a PG-13 on this one.

Hopefully this guys got some guts and it wont end up being a Wild West version of "Van Helsing."
Old 01-07-09, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Normally a PG-13 rating doesn't bother me but I was hoping this'd be something along the lines of The Proposition.

If the aim is a PG-13 however, they should use Open Range as a model. That was a very lite R and could have easily been PG-13 with some minor trims.
Old 02-12-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Malkovich, Brolin set for 'Hex'
Duo set for WB's comic adaptation
By MICHAEL FLEMING, DAVE MCNARY

John Malkovich will square off against Josh Brolin in "Jonah Hex," the Warner Bros. adaptation of the DC Comics property that begins production in April.
Legendary Pictures has joined the project as co-financier and co-producer.

Malkovich will play Turnbull, a wealthy Southern plantation owner whose son is killed by Union soldiers during the Civil War. He blames Hex, a former confederate soldier-turned-hardened bounty hunter and gunslinger. Jimmy Hayward ("Horton Hears a Who") is directing the script by "Crank" scribes Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar is producing with Weed Road's Akiva Goldsman.

Malkovich, most recently seen in "Burn After Reading" and "Changeling," is currently presiding over the Mexico opening of "The Good Canary," a Zack Helm-penned play that Malkovich directed. The play, which bowed in France, was translated into Spanish, and Diego Luna is starring in the feature.
Old 02-26-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

WB been busy. First GL gets a release date, now Jonah Hex.

August 6th, 2010.
Old 03-03-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Megan Fox has joined the cast.

This and Iron Man 2 are my big must-sees for 2010 IMO.
Old 04-01-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will "Gob" Arnett and Michael Shannon on board

This keeps getting more and more enticing to me, especially Shannon's presence. He stole Revolutionary Road away from DiCaprio and Winslet, and for good reason as that I want to see him do more. I'd kill to see him as the Riddler if he's in the third Batman movie.
Old 04-01-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump

No one else is excited for this?

I have a feeling that if, indeed this goes for a PG-13, it'll be another Dark Knight that pushes the limits of the rating.
Old 04-01-09, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno..in my mind I can't think of any of the latest, which have been pretty good, Johah Hex tales to be PG-13. Not saying it's not possible but maybe the MPAA are loosing up, which can be good in this case. Really wonder what Brolin will look like as Jonah Hex..especially that face of his.
Old 04-01-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh, I'll wait and see.
Old 04-07-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Set pic:

Old 04-07-09, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see nothing...nothing at all.
Old 04-07-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 04-07-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She kinda looks like Phoebe Cates there, doesn't she?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.