Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Backing up multiple computers to one hard drive??

kayak99
07-24-07, 07:24 AM
All these malfunctioning hard drives are getting me nervous.

I regularly back up one computer onto a 120 GB Iomega external drive but with two other computers, a laptop and a pc, I would like to back them up onto the same drive.

How would I do this given the files on the back up drive are a mirror image of the one I am backing up? (I hope I am explaining this correctly but it's not partitioned. Open the hard drive and it looks just like opening the c drive on the main computer.)

Should I just create new folders and dump each computer into a separate one?

4KRG
07-24-07, 07:44 AM
what software are you using to backup?

If you are using something that must make a full image of the drive to another drive, it might be tricky.

If you are using something that can make an image file backup of a drive, then no problem

If you are doing a simple copy of data to the ext drive, then no problem

Just make separate directories for each and copy away, as long as you don't reach the size limits of the destination drive, you are fine.

kayak99
07-24-07, 09:05 AM
what software are you using to backup?

I was using the Iomega software which would copy everything on the main drive but since all computers are working well I am going to format the backup drive and start over. Any recommendations or should I just copy and save the data rather than an entire system save for each one?

4KRG
07-24-07, 09:24 AM
I have never used the Iomega software, so I am not any help there.

If you search this forum for backup, you will find tons of recommendations on sync software that will just basically copy your data over to the ext drive from any computer, just make a separate folder for each at the root to keep yourself from getting confused.

A free one would be the XP Sync toy

If you want to buy something like ghost or acronis or one of the other hard drive image making softwares that can image your hard drive to a file, that would work too and you could backup your windows/program files/data all in one smooth shot (space on the ext drive becomes more of a concern this way) This is what I do and it works well. I would recommend Acronis 10.

kayak99
07-24-07, 09:33 AM
The Iomega software is Norton Ghost. I found the external hard drive software and the Ghost disc is with it. Not sure why I didn't know that but was installed as an automatic backup and installed three years ago.

If I install this on all units (it's Ghost 2003) would this allow for separate folders? How does XP Sync Toy compare, if you know?

4KRG
07-24-07, 09:56 AM
The normal retail and corp editions of Ghost will allow you to backup your hard drive to an image file as well as clone the drive to another drive.

If your Iomega OEM edition of ghost allows the clone to image file option, then you are fine to store muliple image files from multiple computers on one hard drive. If it only allows the clone to drive option, then you are stuck.

The sync toy is a completely different animal, it only copies data files and can not clone an entire hard drive. The only good thing with it is that it will only copy files that have changed so it makes backing up faster for most people.

kayak99
07-24-07, 10:01 PM
I try to download XP Sync toy but am informed I must download .NET framework v 2.0.50727. I can then head for the .NET download site but cannot find that version. Suggestions?

AGuyNamedMike
07-25-07, 07:19 AM
just use this version of .net 2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

GIjon213
07-28-07, 10:14 AM
Are all the computers on the same network? Share the drive you want to back up to and just use the built-in backup program for windows.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup

You can assign a shared drive to it. You can also schedule times when and how often you want to back up. You can back up either the entire drive or just your Docs, you can decide. It makes an image file that you can, in the event of a HDD failure, restore with the same program.

This is what I do in our office at least.

Dr Mabuse
07-29-07, 04:11 PM
if backup is truly important and you have multiple computers...

i use Veritas Backup Exec... install the client on the systems on my network... and have automated backup of changed files on a daily basis to an external SCSI AIT tape drive by Sony... then full backups on a bi-weekly basis...

this is an EXCELLENT backup solution....

now if you shop around you can find Veritas Backup Exec pretty cheap...

the best price i ever found on Veritas was at Provantage... Link... (http://www.provantage.com/) and since that time i have found Provantage to have the best price like 90% of the time on software and all sorts of hardware and printer supplies and telephones and headsets and etc... i use them a lot...

and shop around for good tape drive, i do really like the Sony stuff...

costs a little up front but more than makes up for it in reliability and ease of use over time...

kayak99
07-30-07, 07:25 AM
Share the drive you want to back up to and just use the built-in backup program for windows.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup

I don't seem to have the windows backup program.

4KRG
07-30-07, 07:49 AM
^^ try clicking start - run - (and type in) ntbackup and then hit ok

kayak99
07-30-07, 07:56 AM
^^ try clicking start - run - (and type in) ntbackup and then hit ok

"windows cannot find ntbackup..." ??

twikoff
07-30-07, 09:10 AM
"windows cannot find ntbackup..." ??

what os

kayak99
07-30-07, 10:13 AM
what os

XP Home Edition, Service pack 2

tbird2340
07-30-07, 02:59 PM
I use Acronis and backup to images. This is a lot easier to manage. With Acronis you can image each PC to a file and then depending on how often you want you can just add any changes to each image (not create a brand new image).

4KRG
07-30-07, 05:55 PM
I don't know if home edition includes ntbackup or not, I would have to guess probbably not :)

Worth the $30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681528708SF&ATT=1528708SF&CMP=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Downloadable+Software+-+Security/Utilities-_-Acronis++Inc.-_-1528708SF