Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone name hyped-up, up-and-coming directors that never made more films?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-22-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone name hyped-up, up-and-coming, or great directors that never made more than one or two films or that don't have any more films on their slate (per imdb)? I think there are a few that deserved to do more films, especially with their visual flair.
Here are a few that I can think of:

1. Roger Avary of RULES OF ATTRACTION
2. Kerry Conran of SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
3. Troy Duffy of BOONDOCK SAINTS (I assume there is an explanation for his disappearance since there is a documentary on him and Boondock Saints.)
4. Alexander Woo of the animated short masterpiece REX STEELE: NAZI SMASHER
5. Kurt Wimmer of EQUILIBRIUM and ULTRAVIOLET
6. The Poiraud brothers of ATOMIK CIRCUS (A crazy sci-fi/horror French film with hints of Raimi and Peter Jackson for those who haven't seen it)
7. Enki Bilal of IMMORTAL AD VITEM (unless he's choosing only to do comics)
9. My all-time favorite Alexandro Jodorowsky of THE HOLY MOUNTAIN and EL TOPO fame. He's been around the longest, and I just don't know why producers aren't aggresively seeking him out to make films.
Old 07-22-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Jodorowsky (Reportedly) is in the works of making another movie......Starring Nick Nolte and Marilyn Manson.
Old 07-22-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
3. Troy Duffy of BOONDOCK SAINTS (I assume there is an explanation for his disappearance since there is a documentary on him and Boondock Saints.)
The documentary, Overnight, pretty much explains why he hasn't done anything since Boondock. It's well worth watching,IMO.
Old 07-22-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
I give Wimmer a little credit for Equilibrium but Ultraviolet was a stinkeroo.

Conran was to have tackled the John Carter of Mars pic until it went to RR and then it went into turn around and ended up at Disney.
Old 07-22-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddly6666
1. Roger Avary of RULES OF ATTRACTION
I'm a big Avary fan even though he's only directed 2 films. He seems to be just be making money writing now. He wrote Silent Hill and the upcoming Beowulf. He was supposed to do a Driver film, but I think that fell through (might just write it?). He has the lifetime rights to Glamorama so I think he's just trying to really get that done. Make bigger connections and more money so Glamorama can be pushed forward. He's been done with the screenplay for a while.
Old 07-23-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
I'm a big Avary fan even though he's only directed 2 films.
He also directed MR. STITCH, but that was a cable TV film. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as his other 2 films, and I can't really recommend it (I'm a big fan of RULES OF ATTRACTION though, and hope that he can get something else going soon)
Old 07-23-07, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michele Soavi made some fine Italian horror films, especially Cemetary Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) in 1994, but then stopped making movies. A real pity, as he seemed to represent the future of Italian horror. IMDB said he took time off to be with his family but has begun directing for Italian TV, so perhaps he'll make a comeback.
Old 07-23-07, 11:44 AM

It seems like some of those directors will do more work in the future. Their last films were not that long ago and it may simply be a matter of time until their next film.

Not a fan of Wimmer in the least, but he has a new directorial project called Edwin A. Salt.

Synopsis: Centers on Edwin A. Salt, a fictional CIA officer who is fingered as a Russian sleeper spy. He eludes capture by superiors who are convinced that he is out to assassinate the president. While trying to reunite with his family, he struggles to prove that someone else is the traitor.
Old 07-23-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The documentary, Overnight, pretty much explains why he hasn't done anything since Boondock. It's well worth watching,IMO.
yeah I will second that it's worth watching. There is nothing like watching a instant rise and fall from Hollywood grace unfold before your eyes.
Old 07-23-07, 11:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Tony Kaye (American History X)
Old 07-23-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
My girlfriend mentioned the movie "Belly" the other day, which made me wonder about Hype Williams. He's done a ton of great videos, but it doesn't seem like he could make the leap to film.
Old 07-23-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
My girlfriend mentioned the movie "Belly" the other day, which made me wonder about Hype Williams. He's done a ton of great videos, but it doesn't seem like he could make the leap to film.
Considering how massively overpriced/overbudgeted his videos are, I don't think I'd want him anywhere near a feature film.
Old 07-23-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think they meant hype in the literal term. Tony Scott is Eisenstein compared to Mr. Williams.

Off the top of my head:

Jennifer Chambers Lynch, although a new movie comes out next year after a 15(!) year silence.
Old 07-23-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of Hype Williams, I was reminded of another music video director, CHRIS CUNNINGHAM, who has yet to do a feature-length film. Where is he?
Old 07-23-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Orsen Welles. I know he's done several movies, but only a relative handful of good ones, and only one true masterpiece. He could have accomplished soooo much more.