Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 price cuts only temporary

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 price cuts only temporary

It turns out that the much anticipated price cut for the PS3 is only a temporary measure to move the remaining stock to prepare for the new 80GB model.

Sony Computer Entertainment of America's director of corporate communications David Karraker told GameSpot, "This is absolutely not a bait and switch," he said. "We are offering a full-featured PS3 for $100 lower than the original price and will do so for months to come, allowing consumers the opportunity to acquire this model at this adjusted price."

The price cut for the 60GB PS3 was never intended to be a permanent cut for the product; it was only intended to clear out stock for the new version to be sold at the old price. GameSpot has reported that Kaz Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment's CEO and President, has confirmed in a video interview that the 60GB PS3s are no longer in production, and that all new PS3s will be 80GB models to be sold at $599.

Source: CNet News
Old 07-20-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I refuse to believe you until I see a post about it in this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505564
Old 07-20-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already being discussed here
Old 07-20-07, 12:24 PM
Banned

Old 07-20-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
It is an indication that they have not sold like they wanted. Or maybe an indication of a huge push/investment in Blu-Ray, but I think they have already invested pretty big in that.
Old 07-20-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is such a non story. It will take them the whole year to sell out the 60GB system cluttering the supply chain. By then they will already have a replacement at $499 or maybe even less.
Old 07-20-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
This is such a non story. It will take them the whole year to sell out the 60GB system cluttering the supply chain. By then they will already have a replacement at $499 or maybe even less.
I totally agree for the short term, but don't you think it will look shitty that after this sells through, the only PS3 available for purchase will be $100 more? If they were going to have a replacement system in the works for the same price, I can't believe they'd let the information slip this early about the new 80gig system.

Last edited by bravesmg; 07-20-07 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-20-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I can't believe this news. Totally out of nowhere! That's crazy.

Sorry.

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I totally agree for the short term, but don't you think it will look shitty that after this sells through, the only PS3 available for purchase will be $100 more? If they were going to have a replacement system in the works for the same price, I can't believe they'd let the information slip this early about the new 80gig system.
Exactly. Not every store will run out at the exact same time so there will be definitely be a problem with some stores only having the $600 version and some having a few stragglers, much like with the 20GB/60GB right now. Or we will run into another "fire sale" where Sony drops the 60GB just to clear them out like the 20GB version.
Old 07-20-07, 01:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
It will take them the whole year to sell out the 60GB system cluttering the supply chain.
Overheard at E3:

Sony Exec: So yeah, basically after we get rid of all our overstock in the warehouse we hope to--
Nintendo Exec: Whoa, back up a sec. What's a warehouse?
Old 07-20-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Overheard at E3:

Sony Exec: So yeah, basically after we get rid of all our overstock in the warehouse we hope to--
Old 07-20-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Overheard at E3:

Old 07-20-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Overheard at E3:

Sony Exec: They're that thing you kept all those unsold Gamecubes in.
Old 07-20-07, 02:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Sony Exec: They're that thing you kept all those unsold Gamecubes in.

Nintendo Exec: You mean, under the freeway alongside the ET cartridges?
Old 07-20-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Reeves: Release of 80GB PS3 “Not Worth It”

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president David Reeves has been explaining why PAL territories won’t see the release of an 80GB PlayStation 3 by claiming that the extra 20 gigabytes “is not worth it”.

The revelation was made during a presentation to introduce the European PS3 starter pack. Reeves said that he didn’t really see the point of introducing an 80GB model to the European market as there was only a small difference between that and the current 60GB PS3.

"You know, the difference between 60 and the 80 gigabyte is very small. We just feel that going up 20 gigabyte is not worth it.”

He also noted that SCEE would consider releasing a revised PS3 model in the future if the storage capacity was much larger, perhaps doubled to 120GB.

“If you're going to double it, it's worth it. So maybe you'll see something a little bit later, but 60 and 80, really not much difference."

Sony Computer Entertainment America recently announced that an 80GB hard drive-equipped PlayStation 3 will launch in North America in August. It will retail for $599.
So basically, Sony will probably continue the 20/60 to 60/80 to 80/120 scheme.
Old 07-20-07, 02:45 PM
Banned

Nah, the E.T. cartridges are buried in the desert in New Mexico.

I wonder what some archaeologist will think when they are digging there 1000 years from now and discover the hidden treasure of E.T. 2600.
Old 07-21-07, 08:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
I wonder what some archaeologist will think when they are digging there 1000 years from now and discover the hidden treasure of E.T. 2600.
I've wondered the same thing.
Old 07-21-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Overheard at E3:

I liked the GameCube comment as well.

Stories I have read indicate there are 60GB systems backed up for a long, long time. I don't see stores running out before they replace it with something else at $499 or less.